Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Robart Electric Retracts Update

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Robart Electric Retracts Update

Old 09-16-2015, 02:59 PM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I test flew the Corsair with the Robart 810 60 size electric retracts converted to air. They slammed up and down but I have restrictors (wheel collars) that I can adjust. Three flights yesterday. They worked fine and didn't even have to slow down to stall speed for them to come down. At least I have 100 degree rotators that work now.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:51 AM
Firepower R/C
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see Robart now has a pneumatic versdion of the 810. I may try them, but I am a little scared.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:13 AM
LN-JET

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set of the 810's , and I agree to everything that has been written about them. They need a total redesign.
For those who has just broken a gearbox or motor, I have found these to be a good replacement Choose 6V 200RPM
The shaft need to be shortened by 2mm, or else the screw will hit, before the gear is down and locked.

Lars

Last edited by LN-JET; 03-06-2017 at 02:15 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:09 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Good morning Gentlemen,

I just received a set of Robart electric retracts for my ESM Skyraider. I have yet to install them, for I am finishing a current project, but I should be into the install next week. I tried to get a set of C.J. electric gear to work, but had real problems with the gear C.J. sent me. I ordered and received the Robart gear in good order and will be installing these into the air frame. If they work or fail to work...I will report my findings here. I have new electric 810RSE retracts from Robart and I called them on the phone and asked them if they had electrics that would work in my airframe. They said they did and sold me a set of the 810's. They fit the retract rails...and my rails are 1.10" wide and the Robart 810's are 31/32" wide. So they will fit ok and I will place spacers into the between the retract rails to have a nice snug fit for the main body of the retracts.

I have used and I have had excellent results using "Lado" electric retracts in two P-51 airframes. One powered by a S.T. G90, a "B-model" and a 20cc gas powered in my "D." Both landing gears worked flawlessly for over five years and one pair is still flying seven years later.-the models were Top Flight .60 ~ .90 P-51 kits...one kit built, one an ARF. I purchased both the C.J.'s and the Robarts because I wanted to by American...and though the Lado's were originally built in the U.S....they are now made in France.

I have used Sierra retracts on my ESM F6F and the best rotating landing gear made, in my opinion. If they made them for my ESM Skyraider...I would have purchased from Sierra for this model. Yes Sierra gear are a bit more expensive...but great gear.

I am very interested to see how the Robarts work in my ESM Skyraider. I have read that there is a mixed bag of opinions on the Robart 810 retracts...I do pray I made a good decision on purchasing the Robarts.

Soft Landings Always
Bob Paris

Last edited by Bob Paris; 03-15-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:29 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

geezz, I had to read this, just when I was about to order the 810

Jim
Old 03-22-2017, 01:22 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Depending on the size of the plane you are useing , if you are content with useing electric power retracts reach out to Thomas as VQ. Many of use are useing the VQ retracts , less expensive and reliable.
On 60 and under size planes we use the FMS retracts and they are great and only getting better.
Many of these retracts were deigned for foam epo planes but have now proven to withstand the test of time in wood models.
VQ on the other hand has proven very reliable in the 15lbs to 19lbs line of new warbird from JB Hobbies that will now be sold by VQ in Texas.
I have personally followed the Robart and CJ attempt to be in the electric retracts business for over 5 years.
I see the same thing all the time, big promises, little on delivery and big big cost !
Personally my conclusion is if you want Air Retracts buy Sierra and if you want electric buy your options are inexpensive FMS for 60 size and under, VQ for 60 thru 55 cc gas and for the person who really needs an elite set of epower for 20lbs plus use Electron Retracts ( the best in the business ) .
The rest of the name brands Robart, CJ and the has beens are not reliable , over priced and nothing but problems !!!!!
Old 03-22-2017, 05:48 AM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Originally Posted by LDM
VQ on the other hand has proven very reliable in the 15lbs to 19lbs line of new warbird from JB Hobbies that will now be sold by VQ in Texas.

VQ for 60 thru 55 cc gas and for the person who really needs an elite set of epower for 20lbs plus use Electron Retracts ( the best in the business ) .
I can vouch for the VQ electric retracts I have been using the Bearcat retracts for several months in my 20 lb VQ Bearcat with no problems. They are on sale for $129 including the gear legs!
https://vqwarbirds.com/product/vq-el...ts-80-warbird/
Old 03-22-2017, 07:04 AM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the Wasp, just be glad you read this BEFORE you ordered the 810s. They are junk.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:39 AM
the Wasp

Originally Posted by RBean
the Wasp, just be glad you read this BEFORE you ordered the 810s. They are junk.
I am glad for sure, I don't want to get stung on a landing

you know,, I called Robart just a couple hours before I read this thread !!! everything was good and fine on the phone,, I am one of those that needs to look at something 10 times before I buy, I need to known what I buy actually works, last week I went back some 10 pages here on the warbird forum but I missed this thread, luck me that I went back again last night

Jim
Old 03-22-2017, 10:44 AM
the Wasp

oo,, see what I see, for my VQ .60 size P-40,, thanks to LDM

https://www.electron-retracts.com/er-30evo/

Jim
Old 03-22-2017, 11:47 AM
LN-JET

I don't see Electron having rotating retracts?

Lars

Originally Posted by the Wasp
oo,, see what I see, for my VQ .60 size P-40,, thanks to LDM

https://www.electron-retracts.com/er-30evo/

Jim
Old 03-22-2017, 12:21 PM
the Wasp

LOL wow,, so I called RC Jets that import's the Electron Retracts, let me tell you this guy knows his stuff,,

as for my VQ .60 size P-40, he said (quote>) " he flies WW11 WarBirds too, and for a .60 size plane, buy the 60/120 size E-Flight retracts",,, he said that he sold many-many of then and that they are more reliable than other brands that cost more,, he also said that he knows the E-Flights inside and out, and that they have had a lot of R&D on them over the years to get them right ,

I told him I saw a few
20/60 size E-Flights on YouTube and they wouldn't stop at the end of their stroke, and he said that there is a button on the bottom of their frame that shuts off the motor, and that button needs to be aligned properly,

I talked to him for about 10 minutes, he told me some 5 times to buy the E-Flights, he just about insisted that I do buy them,

Note that he did say he knew very well what other brand is about (I'm not going to say that other brand's name), he said "the E-Flights are more reliable",
he said "they are that good" .

the thing is, he is telling me to buy a product he doesn't sell any more, he believes that much in them. he also told me to test them more than just 5 times, he said Horizon will stand behind them.

BTW, he also told me that the Electron Rotating retracts are a custom order that may take 2 or 3 months, and for a .60 size P-40 a set of 2 retracts would be around $400/$430, that did included some $60 for shipping,

http://www.usarcjets.com/cgi-bin/sho...80.htm#Retract - Struts

Jim
Old 03-22-2017, 02:20 PM
Bob Paris

Good Afternoon Gentleman,
I have decided to return all my Robart electric landing gear to them...and going another way. After reading all your inputs on the landing gear...to include the fixes for the 810's, I decided to return all to Robart. Nothing was open...and all are in original plastic bags with labels, so Robart stated I would be able to return them with a 15% restocking fee. I have used Robarts other products with good results over the years...same with Lado's. But after mulling around about doing this...I decided to try another way of getting my landing gear for my ESM Skyraider. I have yet to receive my refund from C.J....but doubt I ever will, but I am going to call Tomas at VQ and see what he has available...and then decide what to do. I am looking at Lado's, for they have rotating gear that will fit my airframe, and E-Flights.

Thanks for all the good information...

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 03-23-2017, 02:17 AM
LDM

Just for clarification my opinion on the retracts is mine , I own it lol but its 100% from personal opinion on usage so I want to be clear.
On 60 to 90 size planes requiring rotating retracts I have used the FMS 1700 mm Corsair retracts with Hobby King add on medal struts ( $16.00 lol ) for two struts . I have used this system on two 79" EPO P40ties that come in at 15 and 16 lbs respectfully with great success.
FMS is proven in the eflight segment but like most retracts have problems in long term use with the eboards. So they are in the process of adding a retract actuator that is separate from the actual retract. Again people in this thread will have their jars drop when you see the cost as low as $65 for a set of retracts and $20 for an actuator and the gear actually works lol .

The VQ retracts fall into two categories so be careful. The ones being used by the new larger JB Hobbies planes ( Dauntless, Bearcat ) ect were imported by JB Hobbies , now being distributed by VQ in Texas ( Thomas ) . These retracts with struts avg under $150 and are very reliable with the exception of replacing the retract pin that holds the strut , that is somewhat soft and an easy upgrade.
VQ also carries higher end version 4 and ( I think version 4.5 ) retracts that were made for the ESM line of planes . ESM =Easy Soreing Models , I have version 3 of the 75" Corsair retracts, they are super heavy duty in the box but have yet to be tested on the ESM corsair. ESM started as air in version 1, 2 and 2.5, and evolved to electric , super slow gear at 2.5, improved at 3.0 /3.5 and they dropped out of the market for two years. Now back with 4 and I am not sure if they have 4.5, with each release they are supposed to be improved and they are more expensive then regular VQ retracts. Remember the differnace is VQ retracts are made by VQ , ESM retracts are made my ESM and distributed by VQ ( Thomas ) in Texas.

As far as eflight and reliability I would agree with the assessment above on rotatating retracts for 60 to 90 size models , they are the most reliable in the segment at the highest cost in that segment .
As far as eflight for 90 size and under traditional retracting gear defined as P51, P47 ect, you can get three sets for the cost of one eflight so the warranty in my opinion is not worth it and its been proven in field use by me that I dont need to spend another $75 to $100 per set for the eflight name.

Sierra ( as stated above ) is the best in air for rotating gear but you will find the 60 size to 90 size is the exact same units that Darrel sold for the ESM 75" corsair , so you imagine that 60 size models thru a plane that uses a DLE 35 is useing the same gear leg in length !!!!! That reduce ones options for propeller clearance. In addition the true scale anal RC guy will know that Sierra rotating gear is not scale , yes they rotate and work excellent but they are not scale so be forewarned if your anal on scale the Sierra 60 to 35DLE size gear is not a scale roatatiing movement. Personally they are still my favorite in this size.

CJ -I owned more CJ in the beginning then any other gear. The reason was I like the out of the box ready to use format vs haveing to build the retracts like you do with Robart .
The problems with CJ --they are slopping , hang down, get loose and early version were so weak despite looking stout , they would bend on a typical landing . Then CJ would be glad to repair them at the cost of a new strut lol !
The electric CJ conversions were as expensive as 75% payment on the best of the best from Electron so why would anyone buy CJ electrics ??? In addition on most of the CJ struts they look like Herman Monster clunker gear legs , non scale , giant /ugly ? Come on guys , that was an easy fix early on and of you can get the P51 gear correct work on the rest of the gear legs.

Electron --this is the best of the best , I looked at gear for my 80" VQ Dauntless because they sell gear that retracts away from the drive unit in a scale manner for the Dauntless.
They will send you a 3D printed base for trial fit in your model if your serious about purchasing the retracts. They get every part of the epower correct , you pay a premium but they are the best.

Robart - I have had luck with Robart in the air formats for traditional P51/P47 style gear. Many will swear by the rotating 615teens and they will boast and brag on their incredible landing skills and never having bent the paper think scissor spring gear legs on the 615 !! Well Prasie the Lord and pass the scotch , truely a miracle of RC Manhood and about 5% of the RC community has never bent the 615 gear legs , the other 95% is like me . Bend them once and good luck getting them every to work smooth again. The Heavy Duty rotating gear that range in the area of $459 and higher have had good reports as far as air power , I can not comment of the epower versions in the Giant size scale Robarts.
My second biggest issue with Robart is ( i know this is only me ) I dont feel for close to $250 for the 615 when coupled with Robart struts that I need to cut, tap , hammer my retract assembly into place. For close to $250 , I expect my gear to be assembled.
I think they have solved part of this complaint with a new strut that drops in the base and is clamped into place but its not on all the gear . As far as aftermarket support ( tank , lines and airvalve ) I would and will only use Robart, I just like their version the best !

One more issue and again dont take this personal because I am not an accomplished builder, assembler or Top Gun competitor , in fact I spend most of my time these days bashing ARFs into semi scale plane for my own personal entertainment. So again nothing personal but if you find the biggest challenge of retracts is "drop in fit " your not ready for retracts. It's a simple thought, would you dig a $5.00 hole for a $500 tree ? If you do the tree will die! I have never met a retract rail that I did not modify in some fashion. I usually start with flite skin or fiberglass on the sheeting that ties all the formers together. Then I reinforce the rails, expoxy or CA every possible exposed joint and if the assembly appears weak , I will remove sheeting to start the assembly over. The retract foundation is 50% of the success long term of the retracts. Some guys want a retract base that tears out with a bad landing and I get that idea, but many stock designs and ARFs will break apart on normal use and are not sufficient for flight. So take the time to learn what you want from your retract rails , the investment in the modifations will pay dividends,

I said this in the beginning 7 years ago when epower retracts started showing up. I am not an electrician and have zero engineering skills in electrical thinking but common sense tells me dont put a delicate eboard near the highest area of torque impact of an airplane. Many of the early gears fail for two reasons, one eboard is shaken and eventually the process will not travel the required distance to complete the retract process. The second problem is that the strut is not engineered ( or of quality ) to take the normal impact of a landing and the worm gear takes the beating. As a result the worm gear will not travel the distance to retract because its been compromised and is no longer 100% true.
The first issue is being addressed with a separate actuator board , the second issues is up to the modeler to determine if the struts that come with the retracts are adequate for the weight of the plane.
IN closing if you have had success with epowered retracts , you will never go back to air powered, their simply too easy , cool and a set and forget process that the RC Aiplane world really needed !

Last edited by LDM; 03-23-2017 at 02:25 AM.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:37 PM
radfordc

I'm not sure that E-Flite retracts are better than the cheaper ones, but the warranty may make them worthwhile. I bought a set of E-Flight 60-120 Rotating Retracts last year and flew them in my TF P-40 ARF. Last week one of the gear failed on landing. I sent the broken unit to Horizon and they sent my a new one today. Hard to beat that kind of customer support.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:42 PM
the Wasp

here are a few other brands of retracts we have not talked about

these look OK but I don't see any Rotating units here, I need rotating units
http://www.scaleflying.com/Electric-Retracts_c_74.html

http://www.altecare.com/behoteceline.htm

once in this link scroll down
https://www.downandlocked.com/page/2/

Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 03-25-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:05 PM
LDM

Yes, agree the warranty is very good on the eflight but that is what I was saying about the smaller versions and the actaual cost. Those of us flying 60 and under size models were getting the eflight compatible type retracts for $14 and under so the warranty was not worth the money.
In the 60 + size I would agree , the warranty makes the cost worth it.

On the subject of other brands( RC Aerodyme ) they show an Electron Knock off, this is discussed on the Electron website and they will also address these in email if asked.

Downandlocked , I remember they hit the market hard but have not seen their products active on RCU, RCG and frankly in any threads . I was wondering if they were still active and being used by the RC community, perhaps at an elite Top Gun level but I have not seen their products methioned in any ARF or Build threads.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:21 PM
the Wasp

oh poop,, this is worse than waiting for my first born,, I'm about ready to just pick the E Flights (60/120)

Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 03-25-2017 at 08:49 PM. Reason: I forgot the "n" on the word born, so I edited it, besides, if I didn't the world would end, I can sleep now
Old 03-27-2017, 08:02 PM
the Wasp

how about Lado, there price is not bad, and I don't think I really need the Programmer, but the Delay would be cool

the thing is I can' not find them inside America,, any one know where they are sold inside America ??

http://www.lado-tech.net/en/rs333/9-rs333-rt.html

Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 03-27-2017 at 08:59 PM. Reason: oops
Old 03-30-2017, 02:42 AM
LDM

When it comes to the controller you have to make sure its not part of the retract "start stop" process.
Most controllers like in the case of Robart are a critical part of the retract process. This is one part that I have to give Robart credit upfront because most of the retracts that fail are failing at the board area in the retracts. When the supplier adds a separate sequencer, the delicate part is removed from the retract.
Many of us have made our own mods with cheap retracts when they stop working and then add a separate sequencer between retracts and the receiver and the retracts continue to work great better then the original design.

I am working on bashing an old P39 red box cobra and needed retracts, for $141 delivered I have three on the way with oleo struts from Thomas at VQ !!!!
The same gear from eflight , no funcational gear legs $189 ! Add three funcational Robart struts +$210
Old 03-30-2017, 05:29 AM
radfordc

Originally Posted by LDM
Many of us have made our own mods with cheap retracts when they stop working and then add a separate sequencer between retracts and the receiver and the retracts continue to work great better then the original design.
Can you give more info on how you do this? What sequencer do you use?
Old 03-30-2017, 04:17 PM
LDM

Yes send me a PM please I will link you to the other threads ( website ) with all the details.
As far as a controller, you can use any of them from the cheap ones sold by Banana Hobby for the LX P40, LX Corsair ect.
Once the simple mod is made , you plug the retracts into the controller and then to the receiver in the retract port , super simple process.
I will also see if I can cut and paste info into this thread
Old 03-30-2017, 04:21 PM
LDM

Yes send me a PM please I will link you to the other threads ( website ) with all the details.
As far as a controller, you can use any of them from the cheap ones sold by Banana Hobby for the LX P40, LX Corsair ect.
Once the simple mod is made , you plug the retracts into the controller and then to the receiver in the retract port , super simple process.
I will also see if I can cut and paste info into this thread .

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...metal-upgrade)
Old 04-03-2017, 08:50 PM
the Wasp

I would like to try that Mod with the 60-120 Eflights

Jim
Old 04-04-2017, 04:59 PM
Bob Paris

Hay Guys,
I need a good set of rotating landing gear for my ESM Skyraider...does any one know of a company that sells good rotating retracts....?
Soft landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.