Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Yellow P-47 Wing Question?

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Yellow P-47 Wing Question?

Old 02-15-2012, 07:10 PM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Yellow P-47 Wing Question?

I cannot find the manual for my Yellow Aircraft P-47. If anyone has a manual can you tell me the procedure Yellow recommends for glassing the wing please? I know they tell you to layer the cloth but I cannot remember their exact instructions.

Thanks,
Tony
Old 02-15-2012, 07:21 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Yellow P-47 Wing Question?

Tony. 2 oz cloth out past the gear and then 3/4 oz over that. Top and bottom.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:44 PM
John Baligrodzki

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tony,

Manual says to glass center section 8" wide with 6 ounce cloth. Then 3 ounce cloth top and bottom of wing out to 2" past retract mounts. Ten .75 ounce cloth over entire wing going about .5" onto the glass wing tips.

Regards,

John
Old 02-16-2012, 05:58 AM
BobH

John, thanks for correcting me. It's been so long since I glassed my wings I kinda forgot!

Old 02-16-2012, 07:32 AM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Tony, Those instructions are for the original wing before the changed the length of the spar to go out passed the gear area. I have built several of the yellow p-47's and i have just always used 1oz cloth on the whole wing with out any issues at all. My good friend who writes the instructions for the kits has done the same thing with out any ill affects. So i wouldn't waste the time of doing the three step process that the instructions call for it just adds weight to the plane that is unnecessary. The last one i had was powered with a DA 50 which was a perfect combo for the plane. I've also had a couple powered with g-38's and they to flew great.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:33 AM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Tony, Those instructions are for the original wing before they changed the length of the spar to go out passed the gear area. I have built several of the yellow p-47's and i have just always used 1oz cloth on the whole wing with out any issues at all. My good friend who writes the instructions for the kits has done the same thing with out any ill affects. So i wouldn't waste the time of doing the three step process that the instructions call for it just adds weight to the plane that is unnecessary. The last one i had was powered with a DA 50 which was a perfect combo for the plane. I've also had a couple powered with g-38's and they to flew great.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:58 AM
John Baligrodzki

Tony,

I agree with Greg. While I gave you what the manual said to do I did not glass the wing as they instruct. I did the center with the 8" wide 3 ounce cloth and did out past the retract mounts with 3 ounce cloth. However then I used .75 ounce cloth on the remaining unglassed outer portions of the wing. Did not go over the already glassed areas with .75 ounce cloth as they do not need it. Of course I ran into a small problem as 3 ounce cloth takes more primer to fill in the weave. But actually it was not that much as when I glassed the 3 ounce area left a bit too much resin so it wasn't too bad. Also being paranoid about wing strength I also added a .25" thick hard balsa spar to the wing. Made it nearly full depth and it runs from the center to about 2" past the aileron servo pocket. Probably completely overkill, however have a G-62 on mine and want no issues and peace of mind.

If I were to do this again I would use 6 ounce on the center and 1 ounce everywhere else.

John
Old 02-16-2012, 12:04 PM
BobH

You can put down 2 or 3 oz cloth to reinforce the area just past the gear. Then cover the entire wing with the .75 oz cloth. It's not a problem filling weave etc using that method.

The goodest engine IMHO is the Laser V 300.. with functional exhausts.. perfect!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29622.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	1727745  
Old 02-16-2012, 03:04 PM
Tony Gag Jr.

Thank you! I have a bunch of 1oz cloth that Ziroli sells so I can use that where the instructions say to use .75oz. Where is a good place to buy 6oz and 3oz cloth?

Thanks again,
Tony
Old 02-16-2012, 04:52 PM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have built many Yellow A/C. My recommendation is to glass the wing with 4 oz. tight weave cloth from at least 1 inch outboard of the aileron servo pocket to the other, in one continuous piece. Then, take .75 oz, or even 1 oz. and go from tip to tip. Especially on the Spitfire, as the wing is barren in the wheel well and retract body bay, but I do this on the P-47 as well, for some of the same reason. In addition to strength, this will lessen the likelihood of the sheeting splitting on a hard gear hit. Take it for what it's worth.

Jeff
Old 02-16-2012, 07:02 PM
Tony Gag Jr.

Thanks again. Any recommendations for a good source to buy the multiple weights of cloth?

Thanks,
Tony
Old 02-16-2012, 08:44 PM
BobH

http://www.raka.com/fiberglass_cloth_sub.html

Looks like they have lots of different weights.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:58 PM
John Baligrodzki

I bought my last batch of glass at Aerospace Composite Products. 952-443-5900. They carry a variety of weights and had my order in about a week from CA to MN.

John B.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:12 PM
tucson
My Feedback: (1)

I have a similar manual problem. I built my P-47 several years ago and have also misplaced my manual.
I started flying it again recently and noticed that I had more down elevator then I would like for straight flight.
I would like to check the balance again but no longer have the numbers. Can anyone please give me the balance point?

Also if my memory is correct I remember someone saying that the airplane does require some down elevator even if it is balanced correctly.
I am using a G-62 and it fly's beautiful except for all the down trim.

Thanks
Stan