Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Horizon's choices

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 07:42 AM
Joe Westrich
My Feedback: (95)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horizon's choices

I just don't get the logic with Horizon Hobby and their Saito line. They are converting their glow engines to gas, one by one, but they are mostly the small ones. You would think the glow thursty Saito 450 radial would be the first one converted to gas. I have always wanted to purchase that engine but I don't want a big glow engine. It would be perfect for so many giant scale applications if it were gas.

I can't immagine they sell too many 450's right now and maybe that's why they are thinking its not one they should focus on. However, I think making it a gas engine would make it extremely marketable and it would probably sell like hot cakes, assuming the price point stayed relatively the same. There are plenty of people in this hobby able to spend that kind of money on this engine and plenty out there picking up radials, but in my opinion, the 450 is not an option to most because it's glow. I would have two right now if it were gas.

I hope to see this engine converted soon. It has a great sound.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:03 AM
ccostant
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Horizon's choices

I think you're right. They probably looked at their numbers and the smaller engines are what they sell the most of so for them it makes sense to convert these first to maintain the customer base.

I also agree that most guys don't want a glow guzzling engine at that size. Yikes I can't even imagine buying that much glow fuel. If they converted it to gas I would consider it. At 75cc it would fit into a lot of 1/5 scale warbirds.

What planes did you have in mind?
Old 02-26-2012, 09:23 AM
chistech

Converting a single cylinder engine is much easier both for the electronics and the fuel/carb system. Also, yes, more people will buy the smaller single cylinders. Because of the popularity of the single cylinders, Saito is counting on "word of mouth" as to the engines reliability, ease of start, etc. Once people are confident with the smaller Saito gas engines, Saito will most likely make the investment with their multi-cylinder engines. Even the car makers didn't start out with 8's, they started with 4's and then went to 6's then the straight 8's. Later on came the V's. Give Saito time and they will most likely do what you are looking for.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:52 PM
91zulu
My Feedback: (2)

Also a factor, cost. Not because you have the funds to buy 2 right now means it will sell like hot cakes. I know you think there are more well to do folks in this hobby but you may be surprise more are just scraping by,. but there are a few gas engines in that size that are cheaper. Most folks that buy radials buy then for the sound and scale appearance not price. If it was a $400 engine then I would think it would have been gas a long time ago. There is a small niche that can afford such engines. I guess not enough to make money. But maybe I`m wrong.. It is not like a car where one could drive more than they can afford, which happens all the time.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:57 PM
Joe Westrich

ORIGINAL: ccostant

I think you're right. They probably looked at their numbers and the smaller engines are what they sell the most of so for them it makes sense to convert these first to maintain the customer base.

I also agree that most guys don't want a glow guzzling engine at that size. Yikes I can't even imagine buying that much glow fuel. If they converted it to gas I would consider it. At 75cc it would fit into a lot of 1/5 scale warbirds.

What planes did you have in mind?

No doubt...... I have a Vailly FW190 that I would love to put it in. My 1/3 scale WW1 planes would be good picks too.

I understand the point regarding the sales numbers on the smaller engines and how the marketing department views it. However, if you look beyond the numbers you will see a fundimental issue. That issue is that the massive 450 is glow powered. That makes it very undesirable. Much more undesirable than a small glow engine. Imagine if there were a glow version of the DA85. Do you think anyone would buy it? I don't think so. Glow shouldn't go away, but it is not a good fit in large displacement engines. The 450 has a great sound, lots of power and it is definitly quality, but its not real popular.......why?

Just another thought.... what if they put two more jugs on it and made it a five cyl with price point in the $2k. I think it would take a large chunk of the the Moki 150's customers.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:22 PM
Joe Westrich

ORIGINAL: 91zulu

Also a factor, cost. Not because you have the funds to buy 2 right now means it will sell like hot cakes. I know you think there are more well to do folks in this hobby but you may be surprise more are just scraping by,. but there are a few gas engines in that size that are cheaper. Most folks that buy radials buy then for the sound and scale appearance not price. If it was a $400 engine then I would think it would have been gas a long time ago. There is a small niche that can afford such engines. I guess not enough to make money. But maybe I`m wrong.. It is not like a car where one could drive more than they can afford, which happens all the time.

I am not judging how well it will sell based on what I will buy. There are plenty of hobbiest out there with large disposible incomes. If you don't believe me, check out the Joe Nall, Florida Jets, and Warbird over the Rock type of events. Just because you sell more of the small stuff doesn't mean there isn't a market for the big stuff. Moki has nearly cornered the market the big, round, and gas engines. I see more and more Moki's than ever. They are getting more expensive and until recently, there wasn't too much competition. The 450 converted to gas would make for a RELATIVELY cheap engine in the large radial category.

There is a market for it.... others are making money in that market (Moki)..... and even if you don't fly with them, there are people that can afford it.

BTW.... people with money that buy the multi thousand dollar engines DO care about price. The 450 has a good price on it now, and if it were gas, it would sell.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:40 PM
Joe Westrich

ORIGINAL: chistech

Converting a single cylinder engine is much easier both for the electronics and the fuel/carb system. Also, yes, more people will buy the smaller single cylinders. Because of the popularity of the single cylinders, Saito is counting on ''word of mouth'' as to the engines reliability, ease of start, etc. Once people are confident with the smaller Saito gas engines, Saito will most likely make the investment with their multi-cylinder engines. Even the car makers didn't start out with 8's, they started with 4's and then went to 6's then the straight 8's. Later on came the V's. Give Saito time and they will most likely do what you are looking for.

I would concede the point that you made regarding the difficulty to convert the 450 in relation to the single engines. Yes it probably takes a bit more effort to convert to the EI on a 3cyl They do have a gas twin, but it still only requires one firing point. The radial would need 3 separate firing points. Maybe this is a deal breaker for Horizon. I hope not.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:20 PM
David Eichstedt
My Feedback: (17)

Joe,

Keep in mind Saito is an independent Japanese company whose product we distribute in North America (& South America, I believe). Saito is generally responsive to our suggestions but we're not calling the shots, they are.

We also recognize the market for larger radial engines which is why we released the Evolution radial series. If you haven't seen the news they come in seven cylinders at 35cc, 77cc, 160cc and 260cc, plus a nine-cylinder at 99cc.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:26 PM
Joe Westrich

Well.... I guess if they keep adding gas to the saito line, we will eventually get there.

Good point about who calls the shots.

I have seen the Evo line and was excited until I saw that most were nitro also [&o]

Even if the Evo line was all gas, Saito has been around for a long time and I trust them as a quality product. Not to say the Evo line is not, but I didn't grow up flying them.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:33 PM
91zulu

ORIGINAL: Joe Westrich

I am not judging how well it will sell based on what I will buy. There are plenty of hobbiest out there with large disposible incomes. If you don't believe me, check out the Joe Nall, Florida Jets, and Warbird over the Rock type of events. Just because you sell more of the small stuff doesn't mean there isn't a market for the big stuff. Moki has nearly cornered the market the big, round, and gas engines. I see more and more Moki's than ever. They are getting more expensive and until recently, there wasn't too much competition. The 450 converted to gas would make for a RELATIVELY cheap engine in the large radial category.

There is a market for it.... others are making money in that market (Moki)..... and even if you don't fly with them, there are people that can afford it.

BTW.... people with money that buy the multi thousand dollar engines DO care about price. The 450 has a good price on it now, and if it were gas, it would sell.

True, but I think its a mind set. The people that buy the Benz 500 could have just the same bought the Lexus 450, but didn`t Why ? Moki is like the Benz, the Saito like the Lexus only on a much smaller scale. Folks with the money to buy Moki engines have the same mindset as those that buy Benz. They buy what they think is the better quality and the prestige that comes with it. Saito I think may be looked at as a hi price Japanese engine like Lexus being a high price Toyota, where as Moki is,.... well MOKI. Then again I could be wrong. You may buy a Saito but how many of you are out there.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:36 PM
Joe Westrich

The Evo 260 gas does have a nice price compared to the Moki 250. I am looking at the size below it. At $1900 the Evo99cc would be done deal for me if it were gas. Sure are pretty looking engines.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:00 PM
Joe Westrich

True, but I think its a mind set. The people that buy the Benz 500 could have just the same bought the Lexus 450, but didn`t Why ? Moki is like the Benz, the Saito like the Lexus only on a much smaller scale. Folks with the money to buy Moki engines have the same mindset as those that buy Benz. They buy what they think is the better quality and the prestige that comes with it. Saito I think may be looked at as a hi price Japanese engine like Lexus being a high price Toyota, where as Moki is,.... well MOKI. Then again I could be wrong. You may buy a Saito but how many of you are out there.

Two things....

There are people out there that CAN buy the Benz but choose the Lexus

2nd.. Lexus and Saito are far from inferior products

I believe we have two very different outlooks. I think you are speaking more on status and I am only concerned with function.
I have the capacity to purchase a Moki but I would rather not pay a high price if I can find something similar at a lower price point.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:18 PM
Joe Westrich

Going back to comment of applications of this engine.... I was looking through some videos of the 450 pulling some nice birds.

Corsair
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_jCU-yvYSY

Bearcat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smY2G1_dDFI

Sopwith Pup
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4XB0IHNEEE
Old 02-27-2012, 01:08 PM
91zulu

Two things....

There are people out there that CAN buy the Benz but choose the Lexus

2nd.. Lexus and Saito are far from inferior products

I believe we have two very different outlooks. I think you are speaking more on status and I am only concerned with function.
I have the capacity to purchase a Moki but I would rather not pay a high price if I can find something similar at a lower price point.

Oh by no means I am suggesting Saito or Lexus are inferior, they are of excellent quality. But at $1500 for a 70cc engine = G62 at $450. At that price its a sell only to those seeking scale and sound in that size. I do not think Saito has the same following as the Moki. Its almost like a cult of country club following. For example almost all the planes I see with a Moki is way over powered, to the point where all is needed is 1/4 throttle to fly around. Even the really big planes with the 400. So it is obvious most times the engines are not really needed in order for the plane to fly above stall, it`s more for appearance more than anything. That is quite a bit to pay for appearance. Not sure folks will pay $1500 for a Saito appearance.

I have the Saito 150 and it is a beast but drinks fuel like no tomorrow, so I could imagine the 450. Also have a MDS 148 on diesel in a CMP P47 with a 20 oz tank. I could fly around at full throttle for 20 mins and still have fuel left with a 18x10. If I had the clearance could use a 20" prop. Now that`s fuel economy.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:13 PM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Going back to comment of applications of this engine.... I was looking through some videos of the 450 pulling some nice birds.

Corsair
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_jCU-yvYSY

Bearcat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smY2G1_dDFI

Sopwith Pup
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4XB0IHNEEE

Listen to this Saito FG-57 ; That's what I call a nice sound.

I would never have invested in it, if it was glow;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivZ4T...5&feature=plcp

Old 02-28-2012, 03:40 PM
chistech

With that sound I will eventually go with a gas engine. The gas two strokes are too loud for me but that Saito has the same sound as the glow versions. Very nice. I see one in my future scale float plane!
Old 01-27-2013, 06:20 PM
kennye
My Feedback: (11)

This topic is regarding the evolution35 7 cyl I just installed one in my T28 Bave Platt project,But while handeling it i noticed the push rods kept falling out.i like the engine but im concerned on the care in handeling the engine and have this fear of loosing push rods in flight.I went through and set the valve lash a little closer but I dont know why they failed to design the push rods in some kind of guide boot. Any info would help...
Old 01-28-2013, 06:38 AM
johonmirae
Banned

Give Saito time and they will most likely do what you are looking for. 
Old 01-28-2013, 07:25 AM
carlbecker
My Feedback: (3)

Saito is introducing a big 3 cyl gas four stroke.

Personally I prefer the 450 glow. Works very well in 30 lb planes.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:08 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

ORIGINAL: kennye

This topic is regarding the evolution35 7 cyl I just installed one in my T28 Bave Platt project,But while handeling it i noticed the push rods kept falling out.i like the engine but im concerned on the care in handeling the engine and have this fear of loosing push rods in flight.I went through and set the valve lash a little closer but I dont know why they failed to design the push rods in some kind of guide boot. Any info would help...

There are no issues with the valve pushrods coming out in flight with the valve lash set at the PROPER setting. You just have to learn to handle the engine more carefully. In the olden days, it was very common to see exposed engine valve pushrods on radials.

And evolution didnt design the engine, Seidel did
Old 01-28-2013, 08:28 AM
john534

Have you seen the prototype yet?

Looks like it will be out soon...

http://youtu.be/lE8OdOx1R7s

regards,

John
Old 01-28-2013, 09:10 AM
BobH

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

"It's the Economey Stuipd!" or something to that effect. As was previously stated, the G-62 can power more of the larger sized plans about as well as any other engine.

There are those (myself included) who want a better sound but we pay for it! I think Saito would do well if they made their 450r into a 550r or similar sized engine. The good thing about the 450r is that it fits in a lot of cowls. The bad thing is it could use a little more power and it slurps glow fuel. The Gas version should fix that.