Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

OD paint code

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 06:32 PM
bentwings

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OD paint code

We would like some help finding a nice flat Olive Drab paint. We have a Welle paint store near us that mixes our paint but they are reluctant to mix up an OD color with a flattener in rattle cans.

Prefer a PPG automotive color. We have searched the paint charts but there really are not a lot of good OD colors. There are a few gloss but they really don't look right.

This is to paint our Ziroli 118" B-25.

anybody have a paint code or know of a select color.???
Old 04-12-2012, 06:52 PM
Dash7ATP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OD paint code

ORIGINAL: bentwings

We would like some help finding a nice flat Olive Drab paint. We have a Welle paint store near us that mixes our paint but they are reluctant to mix up an OD color with a flattener in rattle cans.

Prefer a PPG automotive color. We have searched the paint charts but there really are not a lot of good OD colors. There are a few gloss but they really don't look right.

This is to paint our Ziroli 118" B-25.

anybody have a paint code or know of a select color.???
If you are trying to go cheap, I can't help you. However, if you want a good two part epoxy, try Klass Kote.. In my humble opinion, this paint is as good as our old K&B Poxy used to be. It's a 50/50 mix and comes in a lot of colors. They can even custom mix if neccessary. You can get a satin hardener, and they also sell a flatener you can add to dull the finish even more. I used it on my P-47's anti-glare nose and it looks great. It also has very good coverage.

I think you'll like it.

Dash
Old 04-12-2012, 08:28 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bentwings, save your money. You could be swimming in gallons of household paints if you use what's in your local paint store compared to the price of hobby paints. Even the thinners and cleaners are enormously cheaper. You'll get a finish that is good enough for anybody and have a selection of colors that's infinite and readily available. Here are a couple of planes I used Benjamin Moore paints on. You can get the FS number for the OD from somewhere on the net or just mix your own. Dan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10426.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	1749628   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av70137.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1749629  
Old 04-12-2012, 08:40 PM
All Day Dan

Bent, olive drab is fs34088. Dan.
http://www.njipms.org/Technique/USAAC_Paint.htm
Old 04-12-2012, 10:20 PM
91zulu
My Feedback: (2)

OR, go to the hobby shop and get the smallest jar of the shade OD you are looking for and take it to the paint store. They will take a sample and mix for you. That is what I had to do to get RLM76. Even though there are a bunch of color code charts on line , when I took it to Home Depot they said the numbers they could not match in their system. It may be the same problem with the paint store you are going to use. So the best thing is to get a sample from the Hobby shop that you think look close to what you want and take it to the paint shop. For some reason those paint codes don`t match every where and the person at the counter may look at all the internet info you have and say no can do. All the code numbers might as well be in Chinese. That is why I was trying to get guys that mix warbirds colors at Home Depot and auto paint store to list the codes on RCU so that others can go to it and get codes that could be used at the local hardware or auto store. Maybe one day. Especially OD which is used a lot. There should be a HD code for that by now.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:32 AM
hellcat56
My Feedback: (21)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take the FS number to Home Depot that is all you need no paint chips
They will mix the paint for you

one quart is about $10

but you only have enough paint for about 23 airplanes
Love the latex paint I shoot nothining but latex now
Old 04-13-2012, 07:39 AM
Veltro
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Klass Kote. Beautiful product to work with, and they have the correct OD.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:51 AM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Bentwings,

If you are really into building and painting warbirds you can go to www.fed-specs.com and order up a color paint chip fan deck and then all you would need to do is take that into your local PPG paint store and have them scan the chip for an exact mixing code. They also sell individual color chips which is what i have ordered before to get the correct color. I have a can of olive drab Omni brand paint which is a cheaper brand of PPG but couldn't read the number off of it.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:12 PM
bentwings

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey everyone thanks for all the info!!!

I was not aware that there was a real number that could be used. Can't wait to take this to the paint store.

Actually I would like to try the house paint. Apparently this is quite fuel proof....ie gas and oil proof or resistant.
Back about 15 years ago I paint our Z-P-51 by takeing a sample of Testors model pain ttothe autor paint store.
This was do in Acrylic enamel with a hardener. I really don't like working with that stuff any more

Anyway thanks for all the information.!!1
Old 04-13-2012, 06:15 PM
MarvinLoomis
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll love the latex, sprays great with windshield washer solvent for thinner. Did my Ziroli B-25 with it!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16957.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	1749840  
Old 04-13-2012, 07:14 PM
91zulu

The FS numbers do not match up to the system that Home Depot use. At least here in New Jersey the numbers don`t. Maybe in some other states. I took the FS color chart with numbers to Home Depot and they could not do it. Has anyone taken the FS numbers to Home Depot and had paint mixed?
Old 04-13-2012, 07:22 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have taken Model Masters paint to Home Depot and had them match the paint that way. Olive drab is such a diverse color depending on which theatre you were flying in, what colors were available and how worn, old battle tested the plane was . New OD verse worn OD. Getting close and weathering is the secret.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:45 PM
All Day Dan

Zulu, I don't use Home Depot for my paints. Try a local paint store that caters to the professionals. They usually have the fs charts or they will computer match a sample that you bring in. I know that the paints that the plastic modellers use are identified with fs numbers. You can paint a white 3 by 5 card with the one you want and get it scanned in. The stores that are set up for the homeowners don't have the capabilty to do much with fs numbers. Dan.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:29 PM
91zulu

ORIGINAL: All Day Dan

Zulu, I don't use Home Depot for my paints. Try a local paint store that caters to the professionals. They usually have the fs charts or they will computer match a sample that you bring in. I know that the paints that the plastic modellers use are identified with fs numbers. You can paint a white 3 by 5 card with the one you want and get it scanned in. The stores that are set up for the homeowners don't have the capabilty to do much with fs numbers. Dan.

Ok so the pro shops has the FS chart codes. Ok so now I know where to take my charts. I knew the auto shops could match the charts but I do not use auto paints, cant take that smell they give off. But next time I try BM, there is one not too far from whee I am.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:21 AM
BobH

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

You have FS 34087 and FS 34079. Both are OD paint. The first one is greener and the second is browner. The way the FS paints are ordered the numbers each mean a different think. The first number is the gloss and then the color family. Then the specific color. If memory serves me.

Truth is during WWII Mfg's were given the color code that the Army wanted. It was up to each Mfg to match that color. As you can imagine such was not always the case. It was probably rare that two different Mfgs even had the same colors.

Bare in mind that many planes were repainted in field depots, farther adding to the color confusion.