Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Corsair retracts other than Robarts?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Corsair retracts other than Robarts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 02:34 PM
ampeater
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Corsair retracts other than Robarts?

Doesn't it come with stock wire gear? Nothing wrong with using those until you save up enough. Have fun with the airplane till you can get the retracts.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:21 PM
oliveDrab

Maybe you guys can offer up some advice on Spring Air retracts. I've used them very successfully on 2 SIG King Kobra's. However, an occasional hard landing will bend the 5/32" struts. Haven't had any problem with the nosewheel, but the main's can become bent.

What can I use to straighten the 5/32" strut? (Something other than vise grips) Seems like I've heard about a tool that can be bought that's designed specifically for this purpose.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:59 PM
fly24-7

ORIGINAL: sprgfvr02

Chad.

My last post got lost in the bit bucket for some reason. I agree with your logic. I have two choices; buy something else or buy the Corsair and wait until I save enough for the retracts. I have no intention to buy something 'cheap' as one person said. I also would prefer to buy new and avoid 'used' issues.

Thanks,
Your solution seems simple. You don't seem to want to, or are not able to spend an amount necessary to buy a good set of 60-sized retracts. You've clearly ruled out used and no-name options. Pick a 60-sized bird without a R/G or go with a 40-50 sized bird where the equipment all the way around is less expensive. Bet one could take the new Hangar 9 Corsair 50, kit bash it a smidge and make it a nice sport scale...
Old 04-24-2012, 09:04 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: oliveDrab

Maybe you guys can offer up some advice on Spring Air retracts. I've used them very successfully on 2 SIG King Kobra's. However, an occasional hard landing will bend the 5/32'' struts. Haven't had any problem with the nosewheel, but the main's can become bent.

What can I use to straighten the 5/32'' strut? (Something other than vise grips) Seems like I've heard about a tool that can be bought that's designed specifically for this purpose.
Can't offer any advice on straightening the wire but I can offer that, IMHO, the best way to fix the problem is to replace the wire with functional oleo struts. There are a number of companies providing struts these days, Robart included. Not only are functional struts considerably more durable than straight wire struts they also look much better and reduce the wear and tear on the airframe by isolating the structures somewhat from those less than perfect arrivals.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:08 AM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Top Flite Corsair.

Could someone measure the span of the stab and elevator?

Thanks,

Charles
Old 04-25-2012, 04:40 AM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

A few months ago I bought a few planes, a TF Cosair came with the deal. The guy I bought it from was a beginner and it has been flown only once, it was too much for his skills but he made a nice landing, nothing happened to it.
It has Robart pneumatic retracts and an OS 90 with Pitts muffler.
Also it has 8 servos (standard) installed and I am thinking about selling it, I am not much of a warbird guy and I am worried to break something, we have a rough field and I'd hate to see this turn into a pile of sticks. Retracts and bumpy runways don't match
So I have not given it much thought, can anybody tell me how much this could be worth? Or better - what can I ask for this?
 It has a fabric finish and looks great.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:05 AM
oliveDrab

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

Maybe you guys can offer up some advice on Spring Air retracts. I've used them very successfully on 2 SIG King Kobra's. However, an occasional hard landing will bend the 5/32'' struts. Haven't had any problem with the nosewheel, but the main's can become bent.

What can I use to straighten the 5/32'' strut? (Something other than vise grips) Seems like I've heard about a tool that can be bought that's designed specifically for this purpose.
Can't offer any advice on straightening the wire but I can offer that, IMHO, the best way to fix the problem is to replace the wire with functional oleo struts. There are a number of companies providing struts these days, Robart included. Not only are functional struts considerably more durable than straight wire struts they also look much better and reduce the wear and tear on the airframe by isolating the structures somewhat from those less than perfect arrivals.
Right - functional oleo struts. I bought a pair of Robart oleo struts and they look fantastic! Haven't installed them yet - I'm a little intimidated by the complexity of converting from the 5/32" wire to the oleo struts. Each oleo strut comes with a couple of metal inserts that the existing 5/32 wire struts must be shoved through (a really tight fit, drilling required!). Then the metal inserts with 5/32 wire goes into the oleo strut (another really tight fit!) . Then that whole assembly goes into the Spring Air retract.

If anybody has done this before, I would appreciate any advice you have to offer.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:38 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right - functional oleo struts. I bought a pair of Robart oleo struts and they look fantastic! Haven't installed them yet - I'm a little intimidated by the complexity of converting from the 5/32'' wire to the oleo struts.

Each oleo strut comes with a couple of metal inserts that the existing 5/32 wire struts must be shoved through (a really tight fit, drilling required!). Then the metal inserts with 5/32 wire goes into the oleo strut (another really tight fit!) . Then that whole assembly goes into the Spring Air retract.

If anybody has done this before, I would appreciate any advice you have to offer.

OK... advice...

First off, some info. The adapter bushings: There are 2 sets. One set for 5/32" and one set for 3/16". They both have the same outside diameter and must be pressed into the tubes. That's not a simple deal.

You cut the tube to length, then insert whichever adapter set suits your original wire gear diameter. In your case it'd be the 5/32" inserts. They do not require drilling to accept that wire. You might have that confused with the drilling required for the 6-32 set screws.

The inserts are a very tight fit into the tubes. No drilling needed to insert as you want an interference fit. You'll need a press to do the job easily. I made up a fixture so I can 'tap' the inserts in with a hammer.

You've got to drill and tap two holes through the tube/bushings. Set screws come with the struts. They are required to hold the 5/32" pins that are needed to attach the struts to the retracts. Only the pin goes into the retract and is held the same way the 5/32" OEM wire struts were held. Drilling the 2 holes is a job where advice is a good thing to have. Getting a drill to stay centered is not easy. I file a flat where I want each hole to go. The drill won't wander off then.

The picture on the 'instructions' page is inside the folder. It shows the adapter insertion and hole drilling job.

It ain't the easiest task in the world but other than pressing the inserts, doesn't offer any real problems.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:41 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I estimate it's worth $5 but I'll be nice and offer you $5.50But really I find generally it's worth what someone wants to pay. But I would say somewhere around $400- $500, check the classifieds on here and see if there are any comps to check against. As far as retracts costing more than the plane, thats just the way it is everything costs more than the plane. When I crash my concern is; can I use the gear again? Landing gear is not the place to cheap out. I have great success just watching ebay and going to swap meets. I picked up a complete newset of 615's and all the plumbing, a new CJpilot, and hand pump for $100 still in the packages.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:43 AM
futura127
My Feedback: (57)

I used these Electric retracts from Sonic Electric on my H9 60 Sized Corsair with a DLE 20 in it and they perform awesome and I have never had a problem with them ever. The retract time is very scale also about 6-7 seconds. I had $150 into them with the Oleo struts.

http://www.sonicelectric.com/Merchan...roduct_Count=6

Joe
Old 04-25-2012, 02:46 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe , that is the rclander brand that I was telling Junior about before he left the thread . They are also sold under the Turnegy brand at Hobby KIng .
I have been speaking with Carol and Tim from RC Lander because I will be doing a review on the 80 degree retracts .
They are and have been very supportive and the retracts are great !!! Predrilled structs , all you do is plug and play
Old 04-25-2012, 03:20 PM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

60 size retracts are reallynot that expensive , its when you get into the big warbirds that they get way over the top, in terms of cost.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:43 PM
fred985

this is no answer for your retracts but is one big corsair,,,82% scale to be powered by a 450 radial. check out the problems building the landing gear since none are made for this scale,,,search corsair 82.....
Old 05-01-2012, 09:44 AM
oliveDrab

Thanks oliveDrab.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:03 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: raptureboy

I estimate it's worth $5 but I'll be nice and offer you $5.50[img][/img] But really I find generally it's worth what someone wants to pay. But I would say somewhere around $400- $500, check the classifieds on here and see if there are any comps to check against. As far as retracts costing more than the plane, thats just the way it is everything costs more than the plane. When I crash my concern is; can I use the gear again? Landing gear is not the place to cheap out. I have great success just watching ebay and going to swap meets. I picked up a complete new set of 615's and all the plumbing, a new CJ pilot, and hand pump for $100 still in the packages.

Ditto on this, pretty much what anyone is willing to offer. the nitro plane market is getting pretty low. I have a plane that I have attempted to sell a few times and now have done the math and found that I can get more parting it out. Be amazed that the engine and retracts will sell better alone than in the plane.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Robinaire
My Feedback: (23)

I haven't been back to this thread in some time. If you send me your email address, I'll send you some info. [email protected]

Lee Robinson W. Palm Beach

.......email address corrected by moderator
Old 05-07-2012, 01:42 PM
Robinaire
My Feedback: (23)

I haven't been back to this thread in some time. If you send me your email address, I'll send you some info. [email protected]
I just posted a reply, with an error! At the end of the first word, it's 2, not 1!!

Lee Robinson W. Palm Beach