Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Best Warbird Batteries?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Best Warbird Batteries?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 11:47 AM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Best Warbird Batteries?

Why not just use the Ultra IBEC and use one big battery of your choice or two receiver batteries and get rid of the extra ignition battery. This unit works nicely and is voltage adjustable.

http://www.tech-aero.net/ultra-ibec
Old 04-30-2012, 01:36 PM
tomfiorentino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My experience with this in my 50cc Extra with a BEC is that I use 550mah per flight.

So, with A123's, I went overboard (weight) by using dual 2,300mah batteries. On the aggressive side I have 3,600mah to use or 6 flights. I recharge after 4.

If you went with dual 1,100mah batteries, you are at 1,600mah to use on the aggressive side or 3 flights. You could do it but you are on the aggressive side of the mah usage...

I always felt that my plane got stuck in the middle zone on this and if I really wanted to save the weight, I would probably go with one 2,300mah flight pack with dual feeds and a separate 1,100mah for the ignition. Or perhaps LiPoly for ignition.

Short of charging every other flight...

I'm sure there are other opinions.

Tom
Old 04-30-2012, 06:36 PM
valleyk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thinking about going to LIFE or A123 batteries for reciever. For those who use these batteries can you answer these questions:

1) If the cells discharge below a certain voltage do you get reverse poloarity and the cell is damaged?

2)Iknow you need to balance when charging but do you cycle (discharge then charge) the batteries?

3)My warbird only flys a dozen or more times a year. Does this battery need to be charged every month to keep from discharging to avoid damaging the cells?

4) I understand A123 batteries are hard to get and use patented nano technology. Ok to go with another brand?

5) Most important I run a DA 100 can the electrical ignition take the extra volts with out regulator?
Old 04-30-2012, 06:51 PM
Mk23socom
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: valleyk

Thinking about going to LIFE or A123 batteries for reciever. For those who use these batteries can you answer these questions:

1) If the cells discharge below a certain voltage do you get reverse poloarity and the cell is damaged?

2)Iknow you need to balance when charging but do you cycle (discharge then charge) the batteries?

3)My warbird only flys a dozen or more times a year. Does this battery need to be charged every month to keep from discharging to avoid damaging the cells?

4) I understand A123 batteries are hard to get and use patented nano technology. Ok to go with another brand?

5) Most important I run a DA 100 can the electrical ignition take the extra volts with out regulator?
I do not know about #1 but Ihave been told that discharging too far ends up being fatal in most cases..

Ihave also been told that these batteries hold their charge for a LONGtime.. I have also seen this.. they also take a charge very quickly

My experience is with the Hobbico Lifesource brand and so far so good, I know lots of guys flying BIG(+100")planes on these batteries..

I have been told by those that are licensed DA vendors that DAengines WILLhandle the 6.6V batteries..

Old 04-30-2012, 07:07 PM
Warbird Man
My Feedback: (95)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the web site in post #4. They do a very good job explaining all that stuff.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:45 AM
tomfiorentino

ORIGINAL: valleyk

2)I know you need to balance when charging but do you cycle (discharge then charge) the batteries?

Yes, the hangtime website discusses most of theses questions. In short though:

1. Don't know specifically on reverse polarity, but like most batteries, don't bring them to a deep discharge state (4 volts)
2. No need to cycle for purposes of conditioning, memory effect etc. But a cycle procedure when new to verify the cells capacity is a good idea. Can also check capacity periodically.
3. Very, very low self discharge rate with A123 chemistry.
4. I only use true A123 and haven't had any problems getting them from NoBs Batteries (same website). There are other sources too. But never experienced problems getting them.
5. DA ignition OK on A123 voltage.

I converted all my planes over to A123. Best thing next to 2.4 in my opinion.

Tom