Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Do you have ESM Electric Retracts?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Do you have ESM Electric Retracts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 12:47 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Do you have ESM Electric Retracts?

This is the latest from TBM.

Apparently they are having major problems with the version2 electric retracts. Seems the motors put to much pressure on itself at the end of travel and strips out the gears. They have wroked with ESM and gotten them to expedite an version3 that is suppose to be here end of May. So if you are having problems or start to have problems suggest you get a hold of your dealer and get on a replacement list. In the mean time you are pretty much out of luck if something goes wrong.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:52 AM
Firepower R/C
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow... you would think some actual TESTING other than a quick " it's working" would be done on these units. One guy at the factory doing a couple days worth of in-service testing is all that is needed. Pneumatics are still looking good for now!

I am starting to think hard about building my own gear now, using gear motors from servo city or something.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:51 PM
oldtimer4759

the story is if you buy the ESM retracts we can ONLY get the new Electric versions, they have stopped making or supplying the old AIR systems, they had a few hassles, but they could be fixed, but it sounds like the new ones are replacement only.
can air cylinders be fitted into the new electric retracts, or are they a totally different design. does anyone else make retracts to fit the new Sea Fury
Oldtimer.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:10 PM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Century Jet makes retracts for just about any size Sea Fury including KMP which is now ESM. They will also begin to sell electric retracts and conversion kits next month. Good Luck.

Here is a link to the Sea Fury page at Century Jet.

http://centuryjet.com/advanced_searc...fury&x=14&y=11
Old 05-07-2012, 10:07 AM
oliveDrab

I ordered and received an ESM Bearcat ARF (72" wingspan) and also ordered/received the ESM Electric Retracts for the Bearcat. Using a 6.0 volt 2000 mah Nimh receiver battery I plugged the ESM electric retracts into the retract channel. Both motors are on and I didn't flip the retract switch. Retracts are not moving while the motors are spinning. Tested the retract channel using other servos, works ok.

Called Tomas at VQ and he sent me another set. The new set works fine.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:08 AM
splais

They can quit at any moment. You need to get your name on the list for V3 replacement when they get here. The V2's are defective and any one of the gear can malfunction at any time.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:12 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Any word on The Robart offering? It seems every manufacturer is having problems. Mainly in service and then availability. Pneumatics are still the only broad, viable option it seems.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:24 AM
juweeltje

any (good) news with the V2 , V3 ????

i would like to order the esm F8F, but i'm confiused .....with ore without the elec retracts.....?
Old 09-18-2012, 06:31 AM
splais

I do not know what happened to the version 3 retracts. they promised they would get back to me around the end of July, I never heard from them. By then it didn't matter because I had already waited two months and ended up ordering Lado motors to replace the ESM's at another $300 for three motors. the Lado's have worked great. The ESM's are just cheap chinese crap copies of the Lado. As with many of these cheap copies you are crazy if you don't wait for the third or fourth version to come out after they have worked out all the bugs at the users expense!
Old 09-18-2012, 06:38 AM
juweeltje

i prefer electric retracts , no air for me,so i would go for the lado retracts...

since I haven't bought any retracts jet , I can go for the R333 from lado....
thanks...
Old 09-18-2012, 06:49 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

It's been 4 months since I last talked with TBM about the ESM version 3 updates and at that time I was told the V3 would be there any day . Still waiting for V3 upgrades for 2 sets of Bearcat gear.
I have not been able to fly for a few months because of back surgery but I would still like my gear issues resolved .
Old 09-18-2012, 10:32 AM
Hill202
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: oliveDrab

I ordered and received an ESM Bearcat ARF (72'' wingspan) and also ordered/received the ESM Electric Retracts for the Bearcat. Using a 6.0 volt 2000 mah Nimh receiver battery I plugged the ESM electric retracts into the retract channel. Both motors are on and I didn't flip the retract switch. Retracts are not moving while the motors are spinning. Tested the retract channel using other servos, works ok.

Called Tomas at VQ and he sent me another set. The new set works fine.

How did you get the phone number?
Old 09-19-2012, 12:12 AM
juweeltje

one question guys., before i buy the whole package.....

how many years do you need to land this baby?

our field is about 230 feet long....so not verry long...;but is it longenough?
Old 09-20-2012, 03:20 AM
juweeltje

anyone?????
Old 09-20-2012, 04:30 AM
BOLTMAN

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: juweeltje

one question guys., before i buy the whole package.....

how many years do you need to land this baby?

our field is about 230 feet long....so not verry long...;but is it long enough?
You might have more luck getting an answer if you search for a thread on the particular model you are looking at. This thread is mainly about the retracts, not about the individual models. Most of the guys on this thread will not have had experience with the model you are looking at, so won't be able to help you. If you find a more specific thread I am sure someone who has flown that model will be able to help you out.

Good Luck.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:42 AM
splais

I am so pissed I can't breath. This whole ESM fiasco with their crap gear has just been too much. I didn't fly all summer. when I had stopped flying I was told by TBM that a new corrected V3 of these retracts would be available end of June and they would repalce my bad gear. Well I never heard a word from them. In the mean time I had purchased Lado motors and had adopted them to the ESM gear. This was supposed to work. I just started flying again and this morning the Lado gear bound up and would not work properly. this was not the fault of the Lado motors - the proposed retrofit just doesn't work. So I am now going on six months with a plane that has not had more than three successful flights in dozens of attempts. I'm going to call TBM Monday and see what is going on. but anyone that buys these cheap crappy chinese electric gear is crazy; and I don't care if you have them and they are working or not. buying these things is a 50-50 crapshoot, never do it again.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:20 AM
BOLTMAN

So has anyone got there hands on a set of V3 electrics yet? If so are they working ( in flight not just on the bench ) or are they no better than the early versions?

If they don't work I don't want them, even if they do work but you can only use light foam wheels I don't want them.

I like the concept of electric ( and have used home - made electric very successfully ) but I have no patients for cr@p that does not work.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:27 AM
CK1

I hope that I can comment on the V3 upgrades soon . I just received a message from TBM that they have the V3 upgrades and should be returning my upgraded retracts to me soon.
Keeping my fingers crossed on this one . Wish me luck...
Old 10-05-2012, 05:48 AM
rcwarbirdbuilder
My Feedback: (104)

Man o man, sounds like lot of crap to go through, why not just use air retracts, they can be problem enough without going to electrics for more punishment on setting up ?.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:01 AM
BOLTMAN

Electrics when designed and built right and properly set up are set & forget. That's the problem with air - I forget to put air in [&:] It's because I have done thousands of flights with mechanical ( in F3A ) and electric ( in a warbird ) retracts so air is not part of my routine.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:05 AM
CK1

Once the bugs are worked out the electrics will be a much better system than the air . It wasn't that long ago most glow guys were snearing at the electric flyers but through percevierence electrics have come a long way and so shall electric retracts. I hope......
Old 10-05-2012, 07:15 AM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

We all might be dead before that happens.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:42 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcwarbirdbuilder

Man o man, sounds like lot of crap to go through, why not just use air retracts, they can be problem enough without going to electrics for more punishment on setting up ?.

Our hope is for the electric retract retailers to benefit from these discussions and realize what needs to be done to supply the market.

There is obviously a problem in the present marketplace. It appears the electrics being sold today missed a few steps most products experience.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:41 AM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

In my multiple discussions with TBM over the last few weeks, I try to keep reiterating to them how big the potential profit is once someone comes out with reliable and tough electric retracts that are under $250. They have claimed quite a few times that the Gen3'x arrival is imminent and testing has proven them out, but I won't believe it until I have a set in my hands and I can actually land my plane with the gear down. I've been disappointed too much so far to get my hopes up.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:33 PM
kahloq

hmmm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.