Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Do you have ESM Electric Retracts?

I am interested in the V3 for the TOP FLIGHT 84" P-51.  Anyone know which set might work?  The ESM Mustang is 71" so I'm assuming I need something stronger/larger for the TF ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

irocbsa - No idea when exactly, ESM is being very vague. The best thing to do is to contact support@troybuiltmodels.com and get yourself on the "pre-order" list. It costs nothing to do this and once we get our stock in we contact people on the list from oldest to newest orders.

TampaRC - Please contact Patrick here at TBM, he should be able to point you in the right direction: patrick@troybuiltmodels.com

SunShyne - If I looked up the plane correctly they're calling for Robart's "ROBQ1665" gear. Looks similar but you may want to contact Patrick here as well for more insight.

Robart's:

ESM's:

tone@troybuiltmodels.com
    http://www.troybuiltmodels.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

and? .....

who can confirm the improvements off the new V3? (exept TBM)
    who have tested them thoroughly?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tone, thanks, I have been talking to Thomas and he says I have the V 2.5 He told me to just send back the actuators and keep the gear legs and other items and he will send me a new set of V 3 s. All good I think & very good of Thomas at VQ Warbirds, per usual. Thanks to both of you. wallace.tharp

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just received my replacement v3 retracts and the main gear operate backward to the way the old gear worked. Does anyone know if I can just take them apart and reverse the strut block in the housing?

Secondly, could someone TBM/VQ please explain why the version 3 gear need a controller with a stand alone battery and just what this thing does?

Thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

splais - The separate board contains the circuitry that let the unit know when to stop cycling. It also receives the signal from the RX and controls the direction of the motor. The V3 are stronger and draw upwards of 1.5 amps during the cycle. This is higher than the previous versions. It was decided by the manufacturer that it would not be safe to run off the same flight pack battery.

As for the reversed direction, simply reverse the wires on the exposed motor.
    tone@troybuiltmodels.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the info on the controller.

You misunderstood the problem with the main gear, but I'm handling that off line.

A general comment on the V3 gear. While I think it is ridiculous to need a separate controller and dedicated battery to run these - they are working very well so far on many ground tests. They are very quick, maybe twice as fast going up and down as the V2's.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: splais

You misunderstood the problem with the main gear, but I'm handling that off line.

A general comment on the V3 gear. While I think it is ridiculous to need a separate controller and dedicated battery to run these - they are working very well so far on many ground tests. They are very quick, maybe twice as fast going up and down as the V2's.
    I would find it surprising that anyone would run e-retracts on the RX battery! Especially with the current requirements of the 2.4 gig RXers. Depending on the size of plane, throwing another battery in the plane is no big deal. Especially if it prevents you from browning out.
    \"let\'\'\'\'s just say, they will be satisfied with less\" Ming the Merciless

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My setup is a little on the overkill side. A Smartfly Power Expander with two A123 batteries. The ignition on 3rd separate batt. Have no idea if this setup impacts need for the gear to have own battery, but I am following recommended setup for the V3's

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: splais

Why would you want them twice as fast? Thats twice as unscale.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The version two gear were not scale, they were exceedingly slow and would not function at anything but idle speed and power. To me the V3 gear are "just right", not to fast and not two slow.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This tread seemed to die off. Does anyone have any reports on the version 3 retracts? good,bad?
    Thanks!

Prop_Wash

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I now have the version 3 retracts on my Texan. They appear to a great improvement over the others. I did have some initial minor problems. One motor burned out immediately and TBM replaced it ASAP. No problem since. I have cycled the gear a dozen times on the ground and flown twice. Everything seems nice and I love the cycle speed. Unfortunately our weather has been crappy lately. Hopefully some more flight tests this week/weekend.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the update splais! Thats good news!
    Thanks!

Prop_Wash

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

In regards to the burnout splais encountered, sometimes the screws on the outside of the actual motor are too tight. When they are too tight, the motor cannot spin freely and after several failed actuations the gears inevitably give up. Simply breaking them free then gently re-tightening with loctite prevents future binding.

We are testing all gear that leave our warehouse so a future DOA should be highly unlikely!
    tone@troybuiltmodels.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Tone Price

In regards to the burnout splais encountered, sometimes the screws on the outside of the actual motor are too tight. When they are too tight, the motor cannot spin freely and after several failed actuations the gears inevitably give up. Simply breaking them free then gently re-tightening with loctite prevents future binding.

We are testing all gear that leave our warehouse so a future DOA should be highly unlikely!
    Tone,

can you show which screws you are refering to on a picture?

thanks in Advance!
    Philipp
    If at first you don\'t succeed, skydiving isn\'t for you.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Reverend

ORIGINAL: Tone Price

Tone,

can you show which screws you are refering to on a picture?

thanks in Advance!
    Philipp
    Check out the PDF here: http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/ns/ma...structions.pdf

I've also attached a low-res image of that pdf for your convenience.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lj23075.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	201.2 KB 
ID:	1820008  
    tone@troybuiltmodels.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

brilliant, thanks!
    If at first you don\'t succeed, skydiving isn\'t for you.

I have the V3 retracts for the 190d9. Do I understand that I also need a controller board to operate these? I understand the battery and have no problem with that.
    Oops !!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Asanders

I have the V3 retracts for the 190d9. Do I understand that I also need a controller board to operate these? I understand the battery and have no problem with that.
    Yes you need the controller board, did you receive one with your retracts? We don't have a picture of the D9 retracts yet but here is an image of the B-25 gear. Notice the small black box in the back of the picture. This has one lead for your battery and one for your receiver. Hope this helps!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Om31853.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	1820051  
    tone@troybuiltmodels.com

ok cool, yup I got that board I was thinking there was something else involved! Will be trying em out soon. Gotta build the plane first! Thanks
    Oops !!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tone, I talked to Thomas at VQ Warbirds and he replaced my V 2.5 with 3.0 electrics and electric control box. Nice of Thomas, I had only to pay my own shipping to him. Problem: I plugged them in same as I did the V 2.5s which workded fine with my JR 9303 and 6 vlt battery..... but, they would only retract one gear at a time & sometimes not at all. Talked to Patrick at Troy Built Models and he said try a fresh 6 vlt battery. I tried my 6 vlt 2000 ma nmhd out of my P-51 and when I plugged it in the control went up in smoke? Held for 14 minutes for Patrick later today and he put me on voice mail. Any ideas? wallace.tharp

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

wallace.tharp, we were off yesterday so we've been playing catchup today. I apologize he wasn't able to connect with you. I'll make sure he gives you a call early tomorrow.
    tone@troybuiltmodels.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Tone, I see now why you are using the new box. Makes sense to me but obviously I am troubled that it went up in smoke. I know that 7.3 v is the max recomended on the included diagram but I am wondering if I could use a 2 cell Li po, 1000 mah, 7.4v? I am thinking no because I see voltages as high as 7.8 when I take it off the charger. Thanks for the speedy reply. wallace.tharp

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: wallace.tharp

Thanks Tone, I see now why you are using the new box. Makes sense to me but obviously I am troubled that it went up in smoke. I know that 7.3 v is the max recomended on the included diagram but I am wondering if I could use a 2 cell Li po, 1000 mah, 7.4v? I am thinking no because I see voltages as high as 7.8 when I take it off the charger. Thanks for the speedy reply. wallace.tharp
    Patrick just relayed to me that 7.3V is indeed the max voltage. We do not recommend using a 2s lipo unless it's regulated. We use 6.2-6.8v here in the shop for testing. We feel this voltage is a good balance between performance and current draw.

We don't have your phone number on file since you're VQ's customer and the message you left was cutting out so please give us another call or PM me your number for help with your gear!
    tone@troybuiltmodels.com

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast