Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Do you have ESM Electric Retracts?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Do you have ESM Electric Retracts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 10:41 AM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you have ESM Electric Retracts?

I have just partially burned up my second set of V2 retracts on an ESM T-6 Texan ii. I’ve had nothing but trouble. One first set the nose gear stripped before I even finished initial setup. Motor wouldn’t stop running. Then on maiden flight with new nose gear and original mains two of the gear would not function in the air after ground checking ok. I was sent a second complete set and after one flight the nose gear has again stripped/malfunctioned and the motor will not stop running. Again, one of the main gear would not come up after takeoff. Landed and did more ground checking. Seems the gear will cycle on the ground but not in the air. Then did some ground checks with the motor running. The gear would not cycle at anything above idle.

I have a Futaba 8FGSuper and an R6014 Rx all running through a Power Extender Pro using A123 batteries. So then we tried another test and hooked the main gear up directly to the receiver. This made the Rx CUT OUT, i.e., shut off. So I have a mess on my hands. A plane with almost $2000 invested in it that will not do what it is supposed to. Monday I am going to have to get a hold of TBM again and try to resolve this.
Question: Are any of you using these electric ESM gear. If so, have you had any problems and what is your setup, i.e., Rx batteries, etc. Thanks.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:30 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Do you have ESM Electric Retracts?

Hi Splais , I have a set of electric ESM F8F Bearcat gear in my CMP 50cc Zero . I had to send one of the units in after I bench trested them and it stopped operating after it opened. I received it back about a week later and proceded with the install and setup when the second one failed . The gears stripped when I cycled the gear open as soon as it reached the end of travel . I called TBM back and they sent me a "board kit " to install instead of me sending it in . The first gear was actually replaced and not repaired. I asked Bill at TBM about any concerns they might be having with the ESM gear and he said they have had a few failures and they almost always fail in pairs. Now having said all that I have not had any more problems with mine . I have cylced them countless times prior to flying with them and have had 6 flights on them with no problems so far . Now the tires that came with the gear are another story all together, just be sure to loctite everything including the threaded hubs on the alluminum wheels.
Oh ! I am using 6V 3300 mA nimh batts with the retracts plugged into the receiver through a y harness. Futaba 6014FS receiver and a 10C trans.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:58 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a set of Me-110 gear, now I'm worried, I go test them.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:36 PM
kahloq

Hmmmm...not making me too confident. Was waiting for the 190 d9 v2 sets to come in end of the month, but I dont want to be dealing with headaches.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:28 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I converted my ESM gear with LADO motor/actuators when they first came out, sounds like cheap motors/electronics is to blame
Old 04-29-2012, 04:50 AM
splais

big tom, how much did it cost you to do that, and was it for 2 gear or three? thanks.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:13 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

sp wingspan makes some also:

http://www.wingspanretracts.com/Actuators
Old 04-29-2012, 07:28 AM
CK1

If I have any more problems with the ESM I think I will look into those Wingspan actuators .
Old 04-29-2012, 10:28 AM
splais

Well I've now have 7 actuators at my house and finally got two to work on the mains. 3 or 4 cycles at home and 3 flights today with the main gear working. But that is not a very good failure rate - what something like 72% failure. We will see how this all shakes out.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:23 PM
kahloq

Price wise, thats not a good deal really for the wingspan conversion. Example....tri gear set for the ESM fw-190 d9 82.5" retracts gen II electrics are $450. The actuators alone are $224 from wingspan so now your at $674.
Sierra Giant scale retracts for the D9 run $625 and look dead on right. The ESM looks ok, but not near as robust and less scale looking...but the benefit would be they are electric.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:12 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: splais

big tom, how much did it cost you to do that, and was it for 2 gear or three? thanks.
I got the motors from magnumrc.com they were about 200.0 they are about 250 for the retro fit kit now a little pricey but they work sweet http://magnumrc.com/kmpesm-landing-g...-kit-p-14.html doing the retro fit conversion was easy as well

looks like there available from lado direct http://www.lado-tech.net/en/rs666/15-rs666-pair.html I know D&L does a conversion for the ESM gear as well you just need to send them off to the company its a added expense but if they actually work then its worth the cost
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33773.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	1756834   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57210.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	1756835   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71049.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	1756836  
Old 04-30-2012, 04:18 AM
da Rock

ORIGINAL: vasek

sp wingspan makes some also:

http://www.wingspanretracts.com/Actuators

I've got a couple of sets of Wingspan retracts. They're not the conversion units. They're 60-90 size retract units. And they're weak. Can't get the gear down against the aero drag unless the airspeed is almost zero. I wonder if their air-replacement units have enough power to work in the air? I'm considering opening them up to see if a Lado unit's internals would fit. I've used dedicated batteries driving just the retracts and the highest voltage wingspan recommends. Right now I'm using LiFe for the plane (with the retracts plugged into the RX) and can get the gear down with the airspeed about stall speed.

Anybody done any repairs or upgrades inside the Wingspans?

It's not a good bet to me to risk using wingspan stuff unless someone 'testifies' they're having success and what specifically that success is. Anybody?
Old 04-30-2012, 04:34 AM
splais

Also had a simular problem with the ESM's. don't know if it was a vibration thing, airspeed thing, or something electrical. But the gear would work on the ground and then when we did engine run tests they would work at idle, but not and higher throttle settings, even just holding the plane.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:14 AM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

Anyone send their old esm air gear to Down and lock and have it changed over to electric? I have always heard good things about Mitch at D&L.
I know that Robart is going to be coming out with electric gear as well as actuators, who knows when, they keep pushing the release dates back on them, but that might be the way to go...

Jimbo
Old 04-30-2012, 05:21 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: da Rock

I've got a couple of sets of Wingspan retracts. They're not the conversion units. They're 60-90 size retract units. And they're weak. Can't get the gear down against the aero drag unless the airspeed is almost zero. I wonder if their air-replacement units have enough power to work in the air?
$h*t ! I have a pair of conversion actuators for my ESM Spitfire on their way

Can anyone confirm / deny the conversion actuators strength problem ?

Thanks, V.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:41 AM
CK1

My Gen 2 actuators from ESM are plenty strong and I have no issue with them operating in flight . The transition time is about 8 to 10 seconds . Since the last repairs I have had no other issues , ....so far. For the money I can't complain ,are they as good as my Robarts converted to elect by Down and Locked ..NO- not even close.
I chose to go with the ESM electrics because I didn't have a set of gear for my Zero to convert . If I had a set of Robarts or Century jet for my Zero I would have had them converted by Down and Locked.
I guess you really do get what you pay for
Old 04-30-2012, 12:13 PM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey guys, I just got home from Century Jet. I took my Corsair retracts over for the six year rebuild. I have well over 300 flights on them. While I was visiting I saw that they are coming out with electric units for new retracts and conversions for their existing retracts. Sounds like a conversion for a set of mains will be less than $100 for a set of mains and about $120 for a tricycle gear setup. They will also have adjustable sequencing and setups for gear doors as well. Looks like the pricing is going to be very competitive. I'm guessing they will be announcing something around the first of June. I am hoping to have a set in my H9 Corsair by mid May. I'll see what else I can find out.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:13 AM
oldtimer4759

hi,
I am waiting for the new ESM Sea Fury, it is due into Australia some time this month, it comes with the electric retracts, after reading a few of these comments I am interested in staying with the old fashioned Air system, does anyone know if they are still an option. I have the P-47 and the P-51 with Air, a few very minor hassles but no problems with the operation.
Oldtimer
Old 05-01-2012, 08:34 AM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Craaap, I was getting ready to order actuators and boards for my ESM air retracts which are junk this time around , now I read these negatives bout the electrics too. I was going to have down and locked convert them (bf-110), but they want $350. That's not going to happen either.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:41 PM
kahloq

What do you mean junk? You mentioned the me-110 and you have the esm air versions correct? I also have this plane with ther esm retracts and they are far from junk. Quite a bit better then anything else except Sierra's for this particular plane.

What exactly are you having issues with? Did you add silicon tape(plumbers tape) to the threads on the inside of the air cylinder? If not, you should. That usually gets rid of any and ALL air leaks in any of the esm gear.
Mine lock down solid as well as up without issue.

Pic below is merely to show I have them installed in the plane. Since that pic, the plane has been basically completed and have done taxi tests.

Other planes I have that have the esm air gear are: ESM ME-109E, ESM P-51B, ESM FW-190A. All of the them have wiorked fine, but do need the air cylinder threads sealed with silicon tape(or silicon goop/jelly or plenty of locktite to fill in the thread spacing).

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36860.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	1757618  
Old 05-01-2012, 05:34 PM
splais

Well, right now I'm not the happiest camper out there. After initial help from TBM on how to get this mess fixed I'm still stuck with a dead nose gear. I've been waiting for two days, after sending two emails and leaving two "call back" messages for the gentlemen working on this issue, without hearing a thing from TBM.

At this point in time I wouldn't recommend anyone buy ESM electric retracts. I figure your chances are 50-50 at best you will get good gear.

I had sent an email to Lado today and a gentlemen named Christophe actually called from France. They have an actuator motor that is a "drop-in" he says for the ESM gear. I've ordered one for a test and just in case TBM doesn't come through. This electric gear thing has gotten really expensive all of a sudden. I've read zero comments about Lado failures. But shipping from France is $48!

I talked to Magnum RC also. They are a Lado dealer. But they are pretty much out of a lot of stuff. They basically told me there is a lot going on with costs, shipping currency, etc. that is making it hard for them to carry Lado gear. So we will see. The Lado replacement for the ESM motor costs $115 by the way.

PS: After ordering a motor from France I found a dealer in Canada (Altecare) that should reduce shipping costs substantially.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:49 AM
Mustangman40

I am glad I read this thread, it will help me from making a mistake!!

I am getting ready to order a plane from TB/ESM and think i will hold off on the gear, the Gear I need are out of stock right now anyway.. I had planned on getting the air gear from another vendor, but might scratch that idea as well...

With the craze on electric retracts it seems like everyone is jumping on the bandwagon to supply us with them, but are rushing the product and development part.. It's good that other manufactures are selling them, it will help keep the prices in check, but at what cost to us....
I have been waiting for the new Robarts to come out for a project I am building, had to stop the build due to them not being out yet.. I was starting to get real pissed off with them, but if it takes longer so they can get all the bugs worked out, so be it... I am not saying that the new robarts are the best out there, but they should fit the budget better then the other options $$$$$.... I just hope that Robart doesn't price them out of reach for most of us....

Sorry you guys are having problems with the ESM gear, I know your pain!

Jimbo
Old 05-02-2012, 09:13 AM
CK1

I don't feel that I made a mistake by getting the ESM gear . I got what I paid for .... I have Robart gear on other planes that I had Down and Locked convert and they are in my opinion the best gear and conversions avail. but I wasn't wanting to spend that much on the plane I put the ESM gear in . I chose to put the cheap gear in an ARF where I would have put more money into a scale scratch or kit built model. My choice and my learning curve . I now have about 10 flights with no gear problems at all other than a wheel issue that was my fault . I felt that it was worth the 500.00 difference to try the ESM( 230.00 ESM vs 700.00 for any other high quality brand.)
Old 05-02-2012, 10:23 AM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Very interesting to watch this electric retract issue continue. This seems to be a very allusive beast. Many really want them, but no manufacturer seems to have them figured out completely. Some aspect of their business falls short.
I have watched these threads for so long I do not think at this point anyone is being rushed. There has just not been a viable product brought to market yet. Maybe D & L, but they are just a retrofit and really pretty expensive. I will sit back and continue with my air retracts for now. They do work fine.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:36 PM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: kahloq

What do you mean junk? You mentioned the me-110 and you have the esm air versions correct? I also have this plane with ther esm retracts and they are far from junk. Quite a bit better then anything else except Sierra's for this particular plane.

What exactly are you having issues with? Did you add silicon tape(plumbers tape) to the threads on the inside of the air cylinder? If not, you should. That usually gets rid of any and ALL air leaks in any of the esm gear.
Mine lock down solid as well as up without issue.

Pic below is merely to show I have them installed in the plane. Since that pic, the plane has been basically completed and have done taxi tests.

Other planes I have that have the esm air gear are: ESM ME-109E, ESM P-51B, ESM FW-190A. All of the them have wiorked fine, but do need the air cylinder threads sealed with silicon tape(or silicon goop/jelly or plenty of locktite to fill in the thread spacing).

No I didn't wrap the threads in plumber tape,I'll give it a whirl. I've got another set in the ESM fw-190 and they work fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.