Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Chino airshow 2012

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Chino airshow 2012

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 05:16 PM
Veltro
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Chino airshow 2012

I heard that when the day comes that they finish the Airacomet, the theme of the following year's airshow will be "The Planes of Larry Bell". The idea will be to gather all the airworthy P-39s and P-63s and fly them along with the Airacomet. How cool would that be!
Old 05-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

One of the Zero pilots is a long-time r/c modeler, Jason Somes.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:20 PM
warbird51
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: at-6 texan
hi everyone.
someone of you who were at the show can tell me if the P-59 Aircomet was be present in this air show ? ... I followed the state of progress of the work of this aircraft and I think with this aircraft should now be finished ''at today'' and ready for the event.
but there seems not be present at to event.
someone there knows something more?.
This was the only pic I took of the Airacomet which, like Ken noted above, did not look any different externally this year then it did last year. I overheard Steve Hinton last year say that it could be done in a month if they concentrated their resources on it. Makes me wonder why they put so much money and effort into the static Judy when they could have had the P-59 up and flying. Oh well, maybe next year.

More photos from the show coming later this evening.

Chad,

I talked to Ed Maloney on Friday before the show and asked him when the P-59 would be ready. He said the big hold up was finding a fuel sponser to be able to fly the aircraft. As to Steven circling the airport in the Yak on the same Friday, we had changed some of the coolant hoses. Steven had not flown the Yak since last years show and he wanted to be sure the coolant system was leak free before he went off to play. His grin when he landed was proof that he was having a great time getting used to the Yak again.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:55 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: Veltro
I heard that when the day comes that they finish the Airacomet, the theme of the following year's airshow will be ''The Planes of Larry Bell''. The idea will be to gather all the airworthy P-39s and P-63s and fly them along with the Airacomet. How cool would that be!
I would love to see a P-39/P-63/P-59 formation at Chino. The Palm Springs Air Museum Kingcobra is a regular attendee of the show and Rod Lewis, who usually supports the show by providing some of his collection, has a flyable Airacobra so I suppose it's not beyond the realm of possability. I've seen some formations at Chino in recent years that, if asked 20 years ago, I would have said would never happen.

Here are a few more from the show.

There was an abundance of Turkeys this year.

The CAF Bearcat.

A rare bird indeed, Cap'n Eddie's Fairey Firefly. I think the Canadian Warplane Heritage has the only other Firefly currently airworthy.

Alllied Fighter's P-51D in factory finish, although probably a bit more polished than when they rolled off the North American assembly lines.

The Planes of Fame P-38J.

A big ol' Skyraider in very glossy Vietnam camo.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:14 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Here is the last round of my photos from this year's show. A few repeats here, and a couple less than stellar shots as well.

On static display was this nicely finished 3/4 scale Thunder Mustang with turbine power. Most certainly a nice way to travel.

The Planes of Fame Zero with the original Sakae engine. The only other Sakae in running condition that I'm aware of is bolted to the front end of Paul Allen's Ki-43 Oscar on display in Seattle.

The CAF Zero with a P&W up front.

This Zero was completed shortly befor the filming of "Pearl Harbor". I've only ever heard the owner referred to as a "Los Angeles Businessman" but no name is ever given. This is the Zero which is destined for museum display in Anchorage and will be flown there by the long time r/c modeler mentioned in Doug Cronkhite's post above, Jason Somes.

This is the only shot I took this year of the Planes of Fame P-47G, one of only two flyable Razorback Jugs. The other being the recently test flown "Snafu" belonging to The Fighter Collection in England. Sorry for the slightly out of focus shot here.

The Planes of Fame Northrop N9M flying wing. A truly spectacular airplane to watch (and hear) fly but one which does not photograph very well from the side!

Not a particularly great shot but proof none the less that the Palm Springs Air Museum's Kingcobra was indeed at the show. Flown by well known race pilot Will Whiteside who is more often seen at the helm of the Yak racer "Steadfast" and P-51 "Voodoo". The 'cobra is another of my favorites and I never get tired of seeing, and hearing, it fly.

Here are a couple more shots of the Yokosuka D4Y Judy nearing completion by Planes of Fame. As noted in my first post this airplane will taxi but will not fly. I will admit to being somewhat conflicted about that. Yokosuka built the Judy with both inline and radial engines. This one originally had the inline but has been restored to resemble the radial version with an American P&W radial in place of the original. Since the airplane will not fly I think I would have preferred to see it restored back to its original inline configuration. I would much rather see it static and original then see it modified with an American engine just so it can taxi. Of course, that is my .02 cents only and I was excited to see this extremely rare airplane no matter what the configuration. I definitely look forward to seeing it completed and painted.

And lastly I will wrap up with a few more shots of what was, for me, the star of the show. I will design and build one of these eventually and it very well may be finished just like this one.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:49 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Break out the Never Dull
Old 05-11-2012, 09:09 AM
FlyN Ace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GREAT Photos and info Chad...(and others) as always!  Thanks for sharing!
 - Ken
Old 05-11-2012, 04:15 PM
at-6 texan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

This was the only pic I took of the Airacomet which, like Ken noted above, did not look any different externally this year then it did last year. I overheard Steve Hinton last year say that it could be done in a month if they concentrated their resources on it. Makes me wonder why they put so much money and effort into the static Judy when they could have had the P-59 up and flying. Oh well, maybe next year.

More photos from the show coming later this evening.

Chad,

I talked to Ed Maloney on Friday before the show and asked him when the P-59 would be ready. He said the big hold up was finding a fuel sponser to be able to fly the aircraft. As to Steven circling the airport in the Yak on the same Friday, we had changed some of the coolant hoses. Steven had not flown the Yak since last years show and he wanted to be sure the coolant system was leak free before he went off to play. His grin when he landed was proof that he was having a great time getting used to the Yak again.
the was cause the increase of the economic crisis but have failed to find funding to continue the work. previous years are still managed with countless efforts to find a lot of electrical equipment that now resides inside the plane. Even the engine was either donated (I think ... but I do not remember very well that it was given directly by the staff of the air forces).
However, next year is a goal that the museum billed to finish.
ps i hope to build this aircraft the next year, "my goal would be to build this aircraft in scale 1/5.7
but now I miss several measures ... We hope to be able to find them.