Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Chino airshow 2012

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Chino airshow 2012

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Chino airshow 2012

Another good show this year, although down a bit on airplanes over previous years. Despite that there were a couple of surprises that made it well worth the trip, one in particular that I would have went to see all by itself! And that would be the beautiful piece of work you see in my first photo.

P-40B

This P-40B was a total surprise to me (and many others) as I had no idea of its existence. In fact I still don't know if it is an airworthy restoration or simply a static one. Hopefully it will be airworthy and flying for next year's show.

Next up was Planes of Fame's new Japanese Judy restoration. This is an original airframe but incorporates an American radial engine. The airplane is being restored to taxiable condition but will not fly due to corrosion issues. (The museum wanted to keep as much original metal as possible.)

Continuing with the Japanes theme the show featured 3 flyable Zeros this year. Original airframes but only the museum example retains the Sakae engine, the other being re-fitted with P&W's. Possibly the last time we will see three together as the third one in this pic is on it's way to a museum in Alaska and will no longer fly.

I'll post more pics as time permits. If anyone else attended and has pictures or videos please feel free to share them here if you would like.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:38 PM
Veltro
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Chino airshow 2012

I agree that the P-40B stole the show! Here's a couple of mine:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60262.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	1760250   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18804.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	1760251   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv56044.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	1760252  
Old 05-07-2012, 06:14 PM
Veltro

A couple more:

Name:	Mk25316.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	1760283   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54362.jpg
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1760284   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jp32580.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	1760285   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rk23582.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	1760286  
Old 05-07-2012, 08:36 PM
pappy 883
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome pictures guys, thanks for sharing.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:24 PM
Chad Veich

Pappy, you are quite welcome and thanks for checking in. Veltro, thank you for adding your great pics. Keep them coming! I did not shoot as many pics this year as I usually do but I'm happy to share what I did take. Here are a few more for now:

Planes of Fame P-51D, formally "Spam Can" but now in a fantastic new Pacific scheme as "Dolly". Nice to see a Mustang in something other than an ETO paint job, plus I'm a big fan of yellow.

Fellow Arizonan Bob Deford's full size Spitfire replica. The ultimate in scale modelling! This airplane has a steel tube and aluminum fuselage with wings and tail surfaces from wood. Power is provided by a very smooth running Allison. Performance is probably better than the original due to the lighter weight but I'm only guessing.

An authentic Supermarine built Spitfire, a Griffon powered Mk.XIV variant. Had not seen this Spitfire in probably 15 years so it was good to get reacquainted with it. Love the SEAC paint scheme.

And another shot of the fabulous metal work on the highly polished P-40B. More pics to come as time allows.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:27 PM
mrbeesboy

I love all the pics.........thanks for sharing!!!
CAB
Old 05-08-2012, 05:04 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

P-40s NEVER looked that good back when they were new. That is indeed some outstanding metal work. I too like that P-51. I do NOT like replicating polished aluminun however.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:25 AM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GREAT SHOTS ...............Chad.

Semper Fi

Old 05-08-2012, 07:45 PM
Chad Veich

Thanks for the comments gentlemen. Here are a few more random shots.

Grumman Albatross, this thing was so clean you could have eaten off of it.

A pair of D-Day marked C-47's.

One of two Bearcats and the nose of the only Corsair at the show this year, the Planes of Fame F4U-1A. This Corsair is currently the oldest flyable one and possibly one of the oldest surviving Corsairs period. I can't remember the last time there was ONLY one Corsair at Chino!

Rudy Frasca's Flug Werke Fw-190A replica powered by a P&W R-2800. While not an original Focke Wulfe this thing is awesome none the less!

The Planes of Fame Air Museum's P-40N Warhawk.

Also belonging to the Air Museum is this new build Yak-3 powered by an Allison. Currently very high on my list of favorite warbirds.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Firepower R/C
My Feedback: (10)

Wow Chad, thanks for sharing. You're right, that P-40 is downright hypnotizing. [X(] Someone should do up the new Hangar 9 P-40 like that, lol.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:35 AM
warbird51
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

Another good show this year, although down a bit on airplanes over previous years. Despite that there were a couple of surprises that made it well worth the trip, one in particular that I would have went to see all by itself! And that would be the beautiful piece of work you see in my first photo.

P-40B

This P-40B was a total surprise to me (and many others) as I had no idea of its existence. In fact I still don't know if it is an airworthy restoration or simply a static one. Hopefully it will be airworthy and flying for next year's show.

Chad, The P-40 is another fantastic restoration to enmerge from Matt Nightengale's shop. When finished and test flown, it will join the Hawk 75 and the P-40B in England that Matt also restored. More exciting projects will be forthcoming from Matt's shop in the future.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:14 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: warbird51
Chad, The P-40 is another fantastic restoration to enmerge from Matt Nightengale's shop. When finished and test flown, it will join the Hawk 75 and the P-40B in England that Matt also restored. More exciting projects will be forthcoming from Matt's shop in the future.
Thanks for the info warbird51. There was some hinting of the fact that it was a TFC bird over on the Flypast forum. I suppose that means I won't get to see it fly which is something of a bummer but it will be in good company. I will be looking forward to some air to air shots of the airplane in formation with Red Bull's P-38. What a fantastic pair that would make! Congrats again on "your" Yak-3 resto as well. I can't get enough of that little airplane but I sure wish Steven would have opened it up a bit more during the show. It looks very "slippery" in flight.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:42 PM
Chad Veich

Another shot with a bit more of the Planes of Fame Corsair.

Here is the Planes of Fame Dauntless which I think is one of only two flyable currently.

Grumman F3F-2 replica which belongs to one or both of the Friedkin brothers.

The CAF Grumman Hellcat.

P-38L "Honey Bunny" owned by Allied Fighters and based at Chino. This is one of three Lightnings that call Chino home, all three being flyable although the Yankee Air Force's photo nose variant is no longer flown.

P-51D "Wee Willy II", the personal Mustang of Mr. Steve Hinton. Chino was down a bit on Mustangs this year, only about twelve by my count!

Old 05-09-2012, 08:54 PM
warbird51
My Feedback: (12)

Thanks for the info warbird51. There was some hinting of the fact that it was a TFC bird over on the Flypast forum. I suppose that means I won't get to see it fly which is something of a bummer but it will be in good company. I will be looking forward to some air to air shots of the airplane in formation with Red Bull's P-38. What a fantastic pair that would make! Congrats again on ''your'' Yak-3 resto as well. I can't get enough of that little airplane but I sure wish Steven would have opened it up a bit more during the show. It looks very ''slippery'' in flight.
Chad,
Thanks for the kind words on the Yak. We came down on Tuesday before the show to do the annual inspection on the Yak-3. We sent Steven up on Friday to get checked out in it again. Due to some pilots not following the briefing, Steven decided to stay a little high on his passes. I can see now why most owners do not paint their warbird with flat paint. It was a B**ch to get clean!! It does look cool though. Steven does get a kick out of flying the Yak. Next year we'll have to meet up and I'll get you a closer look at the Yak.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:46 AM
rcphotog

I always get a little nostalgic at this show

These planes are a work of art !
Ken.

Name:	Nl30174.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1761184   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22632.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	1761185   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34501.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	1761186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg98977.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	1761187   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uf49739.jpg
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	1761188   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tk75214.jpg
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	1761189   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ya57597.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	1761190  
Old 05-10-2012, 06:05 AM
glazier808

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chad and everyone else, thanks for sharing. It looked like a great event and great weather.

Casey
Old 05-10-2012, 06:42 AM
Chad Veich

Chad,
Thanks for the kind words on the Yak. We came down on Tuesday before the show to do the annual inspection on the Yak-3. We sent Steven up on Friday to get checked out in it again. Due to some pilots not following the briefing, Steven decided to stay a little high on his passes. I can see now why most owners do not paint their warbird with flat paint. It was a B**ch to get clean!! It does look cool though. Steven does get a kick out of flying the Yak. Next year we'll have to meet up and I'll get you a closer look at the Yak.
Thanks for the info wb51. We were out at the field on Friday and were wondering if maybe the Yak had some engine work done or something since Steven was orbiting the field for a while. I kind of wondered what was going on during the fly-bys on Saturday and I think I have an idea of who might not have been following the briefing. If I'm correct then I have a hunch Mr. Barber was glad to get off of his wing and make some solo passes! I could be all wet on that assumption though. I would love to put faces to names some time and nothing would make me happier than getting a chance to look over the Yak in detail. I will look forward to meeting you next year!
Old 05-10-2012, 06:49 AM
Chad Veich

Ken, very cool "artsy" shots there. Thanks for sharing them. The P-40B looks just as good in b&w as it does in color!

Casey, my pleasure and thanks for checking in. The weather was some of the best I can remember since I started going to Chino back in '85. The morning was absolutely perfect. The afternoon high was something like 78 but it felt a bit hotter, maybe due to the humidity or something? We don't have much of that in AZ so our 78 and yours feel a bit different! Still, it was MUCH better than the 110 degrees that was recorded on the Chino ramp just a few years ago! I can't imagine putting on a flight suit, parachute, helmet, gloves, etc, and then climbing into a fighter with a little bubble canopy acting like a magnifying glass in 100+ degree temps!
Old 05-10-2012, 07:30 AM
JGrc
My Feedback: (29)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Chad,

awesome shots! thanks for posting.

JG
Old 05-10-2012, 12:49 PM
rcphotog

Ken, very cool ''artsy'' shots there. Thanks for sharing them. The P-40B looks just as good in b&w as it does in color!

The weather was some of the best I can remember since I started going to Chino back in '85.
I was there also in '85 and I just recently scanned one of my favorite Saturday evening shots. One for your scrap book
My favorite time to photograph these 'relics' of the past is Saturday evening after the show is over and I can walk alone and take my time composing each shot. It's always been sort of a "spiritual" experience for me to "be with" these ghosts.
The 2005 show was no doubt the hottest temperatures in the 35 years that I've been attending ! It was MIZZZZZZZZZZZZERABLE !!! All my 'film' shots were cooked in the camera.
My digital shots were not effected nor my video, but.... my color film shots .... UGLY.[]

This pic is from a Kodachrome 64 slide. I miss my Kodachrome
Ken.

Name:	Sp45251.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	1761290  
Old 05-10-2012, 01:17 PM
at-6 texan

hi everyone.
someone of you who were at the show can tell me if the P-59 Aircomet was be present in this air show ? ... I followed the state of progress of the work of this aircraft and I think with this aircraft should now be finished "at today" and ready for the event.
but there seems not be present at to event.
someone there knows something more?.
thk.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:35 PM
rcphotog

Yes the plane was on static display and it did not look any further along in it's restoration than last year. I did not take a photo of it this year because it looks no different than last year
For the most recent info on it and other planes in the collection, you can ask any questions on the Face Book page of the Planes of Fame and they will respond in a matter of hours or days. They have been very responsive to their fans and are eager to communicate the lastest statis on their collection.
Ken.

ps; this is in response to the question about the P-59A Airacomet
Old 05-10-2012, 02:30 PM
at-6 texan

Ken thk. i've got to be able to speak directly with Andy (museum director) and I had been exposed to what were their aims and problems of this aircraft as do the years passed. He actually had said that many months would pass. but in practice i having information of the progress of the work almost every day I hear about the progress made and the time of full restoration of the medium that definitely will be back 'to fly.
However, I will take 'in this situation also to monitor the progress of the work and if you manage to get in touch with Bob Velker responsible for restoration work.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:26 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: rcphotog
I was there also in '85 and I just recently scanned one of my favorite Saturday evening shots. One for your scrap book
Great shot Ken, thanks. As I recall the '85 show was a pretty good one in terms of variety. Sure wish I had been taking photos back then but I was too young to concern myself with it. I would love to see more of your shots if you care to share them. The guys over on the Warbird Information Exchange would probably drool all over themselves to see them too if you feel like putting them up somewhere.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:29 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: at-6 texan
hi everyone.
someone of you who were at the show can tell me if the P-59 Aircomet was be present in this air show ? ... I followed the state of progress of the work of this aircraft and I think with this aircraft should now be finished ''at today'' and ready for the event.
but there seems not be present at to event.
someone there knows something more?.
This was the only pic I took of the Airacomet which, like Ken noted above, did not look any different externally this year then it did last year. I overheard Steve Hinton last year say that it could be done in a month if they concentrated their resources on it. Makes me wonder why they put so much money and effort into the static Judy when they could have had the P-59 up and flying. Oh well, maybe next year.

More photos from the show coming later this evening.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.