Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Fibre Classics Yak 11

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Fibre Classics Yak 11

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 08:29 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Fibre Classics Yak 11

Hi Guys.
After wanting one of these for what seems like an eternity ( Well since 1997 actually) I have managed to track a kit down and have it built. Long story, but Phil Noel from Pinnacle Aviation here in the UK actually salvaged this project for me, and turned it right around to the condition that its now in
It powered by the new Moki 180 5 cylinder, and if thats not enough for it, I know the 250 will fit [&:] As thats what I originally had it built for. [X(]
Does anyone here have any idea how far back from the leading edge the centre of gravity should be? I am hoping to test fly it next week. Thanks for your help guys.

Regards Al
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80986.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	1763432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92000.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	1763433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13392.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	1763434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21945.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	1763435  
Old 05-18-2012, 12:38 PM
bobg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fibre Classics Yak 11

Beautiful model Ali ...I am sure the cg wont bother you ! the model will have the best chance with you on the sticks !
you mention the new 180 moki ,is it in full production yet ? I have the 250 myself and love it ,it sounds way better than any of my turbines
was thinking of the comparf 2.6m yak with a moki 150 but was worried it wouldnt have enough power thats when the 180 caught my attention
Robert
Old 05-18-2012, 03:27 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

looks awsume Ali, Phil did a splendid job on paint and weather as is usual for him.

Look forward to seeing what he does with your project picked up a couple weeks
ago at TG.

see you in a couple months here in Sunny CA for BITW
Old 05-19-2012, 06:50 AM
derjager
My Feedback: (15)

Hi Ali

I,m at Joe nall at the moment. I will check the c of g on mine when I get back home.
Don,t forget it needs about 1/8 of down elevator or else it will take off in about 6 feet and flip
Old 05-27-2012, 01:23 AM
Ali

It flies, and flies well. Some work to be dome on the gear doors, and the Moki needs a baffle on the intake, but apart from that it felt great.
Good call on the down Elevator Steve, thanks.
Thanks Robert. Centre of Gravity worked out spot on... How strange to have a warbird with no lead in the nose !! LOL I am with you on the Moki nice. A turbine starts and no one pays attention. One of these pop and it can just sit there at idle and there will be a bunch of blokes just standing round it... smiling!
I don't think the Yak you are thinking of will be much good with a 150. The 150 is not what I would call a powerhouse of an engine. I put the 250 in the 3M yak a few years ago, and it went ok.. but for sure this is more of a warbird engine than a aerobat! Moki 180's are as far as I am aware in production and selling well. I know where there might be a used only once example for sale soon.... I can't help thinking my little Yak would sing with a 215 or a 250 that I currently have sitting doing nothing

Steve... Did your Yak use the sail winch servo operated gear, or was it modified to air?

Old 05-27-2012, 04:26 AM
Scott Prossen

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats Ali. She looks beautiful. Makes me wish I had mine back. Was great seeing you at TG even if for only a short time on my part.
Hope you have many enjoyable flights with the 11.

Kindest Regards,
Scott
Old 05-27-2012, 11:25 PM
Ali

Thanks a ton Scott.
Good to see you at TG as well. Hopefully you will be competing next year?

While I have you here, can I ask some questions ref your old Yak 11 please? Did you have baffles fitted around the cylinders on your 150? If not, did you just exhaust the hot air out of the stock exhaust vents, or did you add extra?

Also. Was your gear operated by air, or did you go with the sail winch servo set up?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards Al
Old 05-28-2012, 05:59 AM
Scott Prossen

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did baffle the cylinders and it improved cooling properties tremendously. Also the gear were air operated and the cylinders were from Darrell T. The gear worked great except the long bolt running the cord of the wing constantly bent causing me to pull it and readjust so the gear would close properly. That bolt should of been hardened so it could stand the pressures from the gear. That design or material choice was the only thing I didn't appreciate about my Yak11.

Oh yeah, the stacks were just exited the cowl in line with a small rubber extention. Was very easy to get the cowl on and off.

All the best,
Scott
Old 06-12-2012, 07:03 AM
Ali

I got to fly the Yak again at the weekend. Now with Baffles fitted the engine is far happier ( cooler )
Phil Noel made some nifty mechanical links to connect the main oleos to the outer gear doors which work a treat ( The elastic bands were just not up to it [&:]) and now the doors close great. Problem is that the sail winch and string idea just won't hold the gear fully closed when in flight.. Does anyone have any photos of how they converted the gear in this plane to air? if so that would be a great help.
Some pics of flight number 2

Old 06-12-2012, 08:04 AM
derjager

Hi Ali,

I missed a part of your thread.

The sail winch idea works but is very hard to maintain so I ditched that.

There are two further options :-

- The cylinders are attached to the wing well and uses trace wire to attach it and operate the retracts

- The cylinders are in the fuz towards the back of the plane and is attached with a pulley system again

My preferred method of these is the wing well one and has worked very well for many years

I,ll get some pics tonight when I go home

Name:	Zx71137.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	1771467   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20308.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	1771468  
Old 06-13-2012, 07:10 PM
derjager

Here are the pics i promised.

All my Yak 11,s have needed baffling - not for cooling but for some reason if you did a right turn the engine would die. This happend with different engines and airframes. The only thing I could think that caused it was some sort of air vacuum was created but baffling solved it.

Name:	Aw70494.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	1771864  
Attached Images   
Old 06-14-2012, 03:09 AM
Ali

Thanks a bunch Steve,
Any chance you can email me those photos please [email protected]? As they are a little small to see here on RCU

Regards Al
Old 06-14-2012, 08:15 AM
derjager

Hi Ali, I sent the pics through again.

Let me know if you need any help.

Don,t forget I have four of these

Steve
Old 11-09-2017, 11:42 PM
DornierJet
My Feedback: (91)

Originally Posted by Ali
Hi Guys.
After wanting one of these for what seems like an eternity ( Well since 1997 actually) I have managed to track a kit down and have it built. Long story, but Phil Noel from Pinnacle Aviation here in the UK actually salvaged this project for me, and turned it right around to the condition that its now in
It powered by the new Moki 180 5 cylinder, and if thats not enough for it, I know the 250 will fit [&:] As thats what I originally had it built for. [X(]
Does anyone here have any idea how far back from the leading edge the centre of gravity should be? I am hoping to test fly it next week. Thanks for your help guys.

Regards Al
Do you remember where your CG is at? I️ don’t have the manual and have no clue where the CG should be.