Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Dayton ? why bother !

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Dayton ? why bother !

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 07:56 PM
FalconWings10
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dayton ? why bother !

Ham639

I saw your plane and watched you fly. You were wonderful and I appreciated the fact that you DID show up, and you DID fly your beautiful scale warbird. My hats off to you because YOU were the one that I drove a long distance to see.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:57 PM
FalconWings10

jneesy

You sir, are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT! Thank you.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:11 PM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PLEASE CLOSE THREAD , WE'LL LET WPAFB DECIDE
Old 09-04-2003, 08:15 PM
jneesy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats it, lose a debate so take your ball and go home . in a year you'll see i'm right and i'll be sure to bring this back up .
Old 09-04-2003, 08:42 PM
warbird_1

JNEESY , YOU ARE A TRUE LEGEND IN YOUR OWN MIND. I LOST NOTHING , IT'S TRYING TO ARGUE WITH BONEHEADS LIKE YOU THAT I GROW TIRED OF . BRING YOUR 3D PLANE TO DAYTON AND HOVER IT . I HAVE A MIDWEST T-6 I'M WILLING TO SACRIFICE
Old 09-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Jleyland
My Feedback: (1)

warbird_1 you're already showing that you have all the great qualities of a CD for next years event!!!!! You get my vote for sure!!!!

"BRING YOUR 3D PLANE TO DAYTON AND HOVER IT . I HAVE A MIDWEST T-6 I'M WILLING TO SACRIFICE"

Is that a threat???? Man I can't wait to go to an event where you're the CD.
-Jon L
Old 09-04-2003, 09:10 PM
warbird_1

JUST STOOPING TO THERE LEVEL , THAT'S THE ONLY THING THEY UNDERSTAND . I'LL BE HAPPY TO SEE YA'LL
Old 09-04-2003, 09:14 PM
wgeffon

Originally posted by Jleyland
warbird_1 you're already showing that you have all the great qualities of a CD for next years event!!!!! You get my vote for sure!!!!

"BRING YOUR 3D PLANE TO DAYTON AND HOVER IT . I HAVE A MIDWEST T-6 I'M WILLING TO SACRIFICE"

Is that a threat???? Man I can't wait to go to an event where you're the CD.
-Jon L

Exactly...
Old 09-04-2003, 09:25 PM
Jleyland
My Feedback: (1)

Default Are you even going?

warbird_1 "JUST STOOPING TO THERE LEVEL , THAT'S THE ONLY THING THEY UNDERSTAND . I'LL BE HAPPY TO SEE YA'LL"

Do you think you'll even make it to next years event? I didn't see you at this years........... Didn't you start this thread too by the way? And who's level are you "stooping" to? Flying through a fellow modelers plane? I think you're the only one that mentioned that......I'm sure something like that doesn't even cross through most sane peoples minds...... I'll stay away from you just for SAFETY's sake. Isn't that the big point you brought up anyway? -- The safety issue? How safe is it to barrel through someones plane? How do we know how serious to take this threat? I'd compare this to a terrorist threat as we have no way of knowing if you're joking, serious, etc. Just like any threat has to be taken serious these days, this one is no different. I think you probably ought to stop posting as your credibility is shot, not to mention you could get yourself in serious trouble....
-Jon L
Old 09-04-2003, 09:31 PM
L454S
My Feedback: (3)

Default Pattern

I think as long as he is flying a normal traffic pattern and a balsa helicopter is hanging over the runway, well???? Who would be at fault here? We got a Sea Fury down here with a kill marking on it, no, it was not intentional.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:30 PM
warbird_1

GO AHEAD AND THROW YOUR ROCKS . I STARTED THIS TO TRYING TO GET THE WARBIRDS BACK TO DAYTON . IN MY EFFORTS I'VE HAD SEVERAL ROCKS THOWN AT ME. I RESPOND ONE TIME WITH A DUMB OFF THE CUFF REMARK AND NOW I'M THE BAD GUY? WELL YOU GUYS CAN CONTINUE ON DEBATING AND ARGUING AND FIGHTING AND ECT. IT SEEMS NO ONE WANTS CHANGE JUST TO DEBATE ABOUT CHANGE. I'VE SAID MY PEICE . GO FIND SOMEONE ELSE TO BELITTLE I MAYBE THE ONLY ONE TO SAY FLYING THROUGH A PLANE , BUT THERE ARE SEVERAL THAT IS THINKING IT AND SOME HAVE SAID IT TO ME . I WOULD NEVER FLY THROUGH SOMEONE ELSE'S PLANE , NEVER! I DON'T CARE HOW MUCH I DISLIKE SOMEONE OR SOMETHING . SO GO THROW YOUR ROCKS ELSE WHERE

PLEASE CLOSE THE THREAD
Old 09-04-2003, 10:43 PM
wgeffon

Originally posted by warbird_1

PLEASE CLOSE THE THREAD

Scary,

I actaully agree with Wabird 1.

Shut er down, put er to bed, close up shop.
Old 11-14-2003, 01:41 PM
Spychalla Aircraft
My Feedback: (34)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Dayton ? why bother !

We predicted it! The entire Wisconsin contingent of Warbird flyers boycotted the Dayton show just because of the 3D stuff that we experienced in 2002. Sounds like we were right! We represent about 10 of the warbirds that showed the previous year. It was unbearable! You couldn't fly the pattern if you tried. Many times I would have to pull vertical as heading to stage center because my caller said it was not clear. It gets real tiring. Not enjoyable. I think people come to an R/C show to see the variety. When a show turns into 90% Aerobat Hovering, then I think the show will die. At some of the shows I went to this summer the 3D guys and the Warbird guys seem to alternate and take turns. That works really well. However, when the 3D stuff dominates 75% of the air time, then it stinks. If I responded emotionally to those obstacles, I would aim for them, but common sense, rational thinking, and safety pull me back to reality and I break away. I think if we did hit that it would be there fault. I doubt the 3D guy would see it that way, but the rules would dictate that they were in the wrong. Many times I have considered what would happen upon impact. Hopefully I would shread right through the tail feathers which don't amount to much. I could probably continue my flight. But if you nailed one of those DA-150's it could mess up my warbird, and I wouldn't like that. So until something changes, my recommendation is, "Aim for the Tail Feathers". Makes me want to get a shirt made or something.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:43 AM
maddog-RCU
My Feedback: (23)

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Leo,

Why didn't you and your 10 buddiesw show up for the Warbirds Over Dane event in Madison, WI. There wasn't a single 3D plane there, unfortunately there wasn't a lot of pilots either, and it's looking like the event has died because of the lack of participation.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:01 AM
warbird_1

how do i get this forum closed lol
Old 11-17-2003, 03:02 PM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

OK...closing her down
Old 02-06-2022, 08:55 PM
JETJEFF

We had more war bird crashes in the pit AND PARKING LOT over the years than any other type of aircraft. I am the Cd. You war bird guys are only about 20% of the entry,,This was never billed as a war bird event, DOGS standes for dayton ohio giant scalers.... BUT 100% OF THE PEOPLE THAT COMPLAINT are war bird flyers SO; GET A LIFE

Last edited by JETJEFF; 02-06-2022 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:08 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JETJEFF
We had more war bird crashes in the pit AND PARKING LOT over the years than any other type of aircraft. I am the Cd. You war bird guys are only about 20% of the entry,,This was never billed as a war bird event, DOGS standes for dayton ohio giant scalers.... BUT 100% OF THE PEOPLE THAT COMPLAINT are war bird flyers SO; GET A LIFE
Really? Eighteen years later?
Old 02-07-2022, 12:39 PM
Txmustangflyer

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

Funny this has popped up again as I am 6k into a 1/5 P51 build.

Hate to say it, folks, but If I come to an event and see nothing but extras and yak's. I'm taking my 6000 dollar ball, turning around, and going back home.

I refuse tp risk a plane I have planned out, waited on for months, and then built to have it trashed because some dude hovering his plane over the runway loses a servo or fat thumbs a stick.

Also why my planes fly alone in the air. Somebody fires up an engine, I drop the gear. I know my maintnence routines. I don't know yours. I work a federal safety regulated job and I never trust the other guy to have his #$*% straight. Think I'm going to trust a bunch of guys who may or may not have thrown a plane together in a couple of days?

Nope.

CD's, you want to plan events, set a schedule by flight type. Then fricken stick to it. If the 3d folks get impatient with that, show em where the gate is, same goes for all rc pilots at the event. If a 3 hour time slot is set aside for rc scale flights and some 3d jockey so much as blips a prop, they go. If a warbird pilot does the same, they go. Same for heli pilots, multirotors, etc.
If its an IMAC 3d event, yeah...not goin, not interested. Scale warbird, yeah. Simply because, at a basic level, most scale warbird builders/pilots have invested copious amounts of time, frustration, as well as joy, on the building of their planes. Being able to fly them after, is just the icing on the cake.

Let me just give you 3d boys an example. I spent 500 to buy a NIB zenoah factory g62. I then spent another 8 to 900 dollars modifying that engine for the current build. All the while, waiting for five months, for the airframe, which was a thousand. 450 on a jp warbirds cockpit, another 800 on servos, another 800 in retracts, 250 on a better retract controller/programmer, 40 bucks on graphics, 500 on a new transmitter, 70 for both recievers, combined, 90 for a set of telemetry sensors for than now 1300 dollar engine. 300 on a ramoser teknik 4 blade varioprop. Not included in those prices is shipping. That product cost alone. I've got another 500 in hardware, bolts screws, clevises, ball joints, carbon fiber.

I am not including tools I bought especially for the build, some of which I may never again find use for, but needed them for building this plane.

It hasn't even flown yet, and I've put countless hours into prep, and build time, and countless more figuring out problems I knew were going to exist, and its not finished yet. There is still stuff on back order for it.

To go through all of that, and have some inconsiderate "holier than though cuz I fly 3d" nimrod destroy it because he loses orientation...yeah..there would be a 3d jockey missing some damn teeth. I wouldn't even have to do it, my wife would beat me to that and knock em right out of their head.

Now, I grew up being taught respect was earned, and respect shown first is on loan. I'll show respect, engine and radios off till you are done, but you BEST show me the same cuz my current build is plenty big enough to mount a couple of airsoft guns in the wings, and they'd be loaded with properly sized, steel balls instead of plastic. That hovering 300 extra, would be an easy target with a mounted fpv cam and some bbs.

Thats what it boils down to, respect. You come to an event, respect the other pilots. I don't give a damn how much "experience" you have. I don't care if you are a ten time Imaac 3d champion. I don't care if you've won every single freaking rc scale warbird competition in North America. RESPECT.

Even if you don't respect the person at the controls, respect the time and money spent to get that plane where it is. Respect that because I do respect THAT. Yes, I know what an extra 300 costs, for a good one. Thing is, y'all don't have to do a thing but throw some servos in, an engine, do your wiring and plumbing, then set throws and cg unless you, yourself, kit build it. From what I've seen, most of you Imaac 3d guys pay somebody else to do all that for you.
Us scale warbird guys, unless its a zirolli, a yellow, or a short kit from plans or a complete scratch build, we are basically all dealing with chinese manufactured ARF kits. Imperfect from the start with a myriad of issues that have to be dealt with to get it as close to perfect as our skills manage. Most of us don't make 6 figure incomes so we can pay somebody else to do it. WE do it. Ourselves. On kitchen tables, coffee tables, poorly heated garages, or in basements. Our eyes will all be shot by the time we retire from squinting detailing an instrument panel or trying to get tiny rivet details just right, in not so great lighting at times. We work our tails off on our planes. I saved for my current build for a year to set aside enough cash to purchase and build, after leaving the hobby for 8 years. Just about every single, rc specific, tool I had to buy again. Plane itself, yeah, 6k in. With tools, I'm pushing close to 10k. Think I want some 3d jockey trying to be the event hotshot to take that out?

Think about that when y'all start hovering over flying fields with scale warbirds in the air.

My vote, us scale guys start making up air soft pods to quick attach to ordinance releases. Strafing runs on hovering 3d planes flying out of time slot could be our new sport. Give a whole new meaning for Top Gun, wouldn't it.

I'm sure I've made enemies from this post on both sides of this argument. Bottom line, I don't care, because once you get past that flash of anger, sit down and think about it, you'll realize I am exactly right. No, this post is not all encompassing and is not targeting any idividual, but a certain type of individual. Same type of folks that think 70 mph speed limits are just suggestions while in their mustang gts, camaros, and chargers, with borla exhausts doing 95 plus on crowded 4 lane interstates. Same type that goes full Karen when they don't get their way at a restaurant, store, hotel, or other place of business.

CD's its going to come down to choice. Event one weekend for the scale warbird guys, another weekend for the 3d guys.

I will tell you this, you do scale warbird events like that, you can count me in. I'll be there, so will the wife, grandson, and daughter. I won't let my 5 year old grandson within a mile of an rc 3d plane.

Am I prejudiced about em. Yup. Very. I have my reasons, and scars to go with them.

Last edited by Txmustangflyer; 02-07-2022 at 12:47 PM.