Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Focke Wulf Fw-190 D9 Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Top Flite Focke Wulf Fw-190 D9 Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 06:25 PM
mike day
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Focke Wulf Fw-190 D9 Build

do you still have the cockpit kit to. mike?
Old 06-27-2012, 06:45 PM
Nordicz
My Feedback: (7)

Hey Spit,

I see you got the parts I sent your way. As you stated they are a good fit for the build. Keep the progress coming. I didn't get to install the cowl before by loss but that is 10X better than the factory one. Good luck and keep posting.

Z
Old 06-28-2012, 09:49 AM
Spitfire222

Thanks again Marty!

Progress has been ongoing but slow; not enough to show photos really. I only get a little bit of time each evening to work on the Fw. I've been working on the lower fuse sheeting (which is a pain to get it to curve properly! Lots of filler in my future....), and also doing some work on the turtle-deck/canopy. I received the 0.5 oz/yd^2 fiberglass cloth I ordered from Thayercraft, and tried my hand at glassing the turtle-deck. It turned out great so far! Very easy to work with, and very lightweight. Might try the elevators next...

Hopefully, I should have enough progress to post some more photos this weekend.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:51 PM
Nordicz

I don't have a huge amount of builds under me but I am currently working on a Giant Scale P-47 and glassed for t he first time. I found I like the process much better than Monocote. I can't cover worth a darn. Anyways I will glass every time now that I have been through the process. Only drawback is finding a place to paint that doesn't smoke the wife and kid out.

Z
Old 06-28-2012, 04:05 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Spitfire222

Thanks again Marty!

Progress has been ongoing but slow; not enough to show photos really. I only get a little bit of time each evening to work on the Fw. I've been working on the lower fuse sheeting (which is a pain to get it to curve properly! Lots of filler in my future....), and also doing some work on the turtle-deck/canopy. I received the 0.5 oz/yd^2 fiberglass cloth I ordered from Thayercraft, and tried my hand at glassing the turtle-deck. It turned out great so far! Very easy to work with, and very lightweight. Might try the elevators next...

Hopefully, I should have enough progress to post some more photos this weekend.

On bending the wood, try wetting one side only with alcohol. It will bend one way as it has been thrown out of balanced and softened. This works great.

Not sure if you have decided on a radio yet, I have experience with both Futaba and Hitech 2.4 now. I bought an Aurora last summer and have all of my planes on it now. I have to sa that the Futaba is much easier to bind. I also do not like having to tell the transmitter to transmit everytime I turn it on. I am still up in the air as to which I want long term. I think I personally have more faith in the Futaba, even though I lost my triplane to it last year, for complete unknown reasons. It just unbound. I have not had any serious problems with my Hitech as of yet though for the record.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:29 PM
Nordicz

Spit and Vertical,

First off Vertical is right on gettng the balsa to shape. I have used a spray bottle with water also. It depends on how severe the curve is. Vertical. I sort of like the fact I have to select transmit with the Aurora 9 simply because it gives me a second chance to verify which plane I am flying. Just my preference. I am a electronics and communications tech by trade and feel that the big three, JR, Futaba and Hitech all have there advantages and weak points. I used to use Futaba but when I lost the Top Flight D9 to unknow reasons - suspected BROWN OUT. I switched to Hitech because I liked what they were doing for their programing, updating and telemetry initiatives. Just a preference for me but I still think any one of the big three you cannot go wrong.

Z
Old 07-22-2012, 01:58 PM
Javier-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Some update? BTW if someone is looking for top flite scale parts, IMP uses to sell 1/6 scale D9 kit. The FG parts looks too scale and have a pretty good fit on the Top Flite kit.

I bought the cowl, gun hood, canopy and even a cockpit kit. Some blisters and extra details are included in the package.

Take a look at http://www.impscale.com/html/fw_190_d9_.html

Javier
Old 07-23-2012, 12:11 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

got any pics of the IMP parts I have some fiberglass specialties parts for about half the cost of the IMP stuff http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com/catalog.htm
Old 10-27-2012, 12:56 AM
gree

Hey great to see you building this plane. It may be next on my building board too (or my Holman D9 I haven't decided yet), so I'll be following along closely.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:19 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My son has been very happy with the handling of his Kyosho Tank, to the point he wants to build another. I have one of these kits, TF fw190, in inventory and we would use it as a template to make two. I saw that fiberglass specialties (FS) has a stock and improved cowl and gun cover. The stock are pretty Mattel-ish, anyone have any pictures of the improved from FS. I recall the IMP was slightly larger, do i remember correctly? how does the imp canopy fit?

I need two of each, alot of $$$ to toss if they r not what we want.

Joe
Old 10-28-2012, 01:39 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: paladin
...how does the imp canopy fit?

I know it's been a loooong time coming but I will (hopefully) be offering a canopy for the TF 190D kit. It's a direct copy of the kit canopy except that the framing will not be quite as prominent as the original. I worked on the plug yesterday and will be pulling some test parts this coming week if all goes as planned. Assuming I can get a satisfactory result I will be offering them for sale for anyone interested.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:16 PM
bigtim

ORIGINAL: paladin

My son has been very happy with the handling of his Kyosho Tank, to the point he wants to build another. I have one of these kits, TF fw190, in inventory and we would use it as a template to make two. I saw that fiberglass specialties (FS) has a stock and improved cowl and gun cover. The stock are pretty Mattel-ish, anyone have any pictures of the improved from FS. I recall the IMP was slightly larger, do i remember correctly? how does the imp canopy fit?

I need two of each, alot of $$$ to toss if they r not what we want.

Joe
here is a pic of the gun hood and the top of the cowl,my cowl is the one with the flaps open, fiberglass specialties makes a open and closed flap version, a major improvement over the ABS plastic parts offered in the kit
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31274.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	1815651  
Old 10-29-2012, 10:26 AM
paladin

Thanks guys,

Chad the canopy sounds good, keep us informed.

Bigtim, the gun hood looks good! the front armor on the cowl looks much better than stock, but i cant tell if they corrected the AT-6 cowl look of the sides.

Joe
Old 10-29-2012, 02:22 PM
bigtim

Joe I will snap a pic of the side of the cowl for you, hope all is well with the big storm heading your way BT
Old 10-29-2012, 03:38 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Those two items look identical to the parts for the Pica 190D. I think it looks pretty good actually. I have the fiberglass cowl from FS on my 190 D.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:19 AM
mike day
My Feedback: (4)

were did you get the spinner?
Old 03-18-2013, 11:47 AM
paladin

here mike:

http://www.skysharkrc.com/item/FW190...e-Spinners-101
Old 11-23-2021, 10:06 AM
Quikturn
My Feedback: (12)

Default Plans???

I know this is an old thread but was wondering if someone has a set of original new or used rolled plans they would be willing to sell?

thanks I’m advance.

Joe
Old 11-24-2021, 04:35 PM
bigtim

top flite was acquired by Horizon hobby you may be able to get a digital copy or even actual plans from them, they still sell some of the TF ARF's for how long who knows at the prices these sell for now its a wonder why they don't do some limited production runs.
Old 11-24-2021, 06:26 PM
Quikturn

Thanks bigtim, I’ll give them a try but not holding out much hope. I bought the kit at my LHS on consignment and the store owner said he tried ordering the plans but had no luck. It’s such a neat kit I bought it anyways. I was hoping someone here that already built the kit may still have the plans to sell.
Old 12-28-2021, 07:47 PM
ww2collector

Originally Posted by bigtim
top flite was acquired by Horizon hobby you may be able to get a digital copy or even actual plans from them, they still sell some of the TF ARF's for how long who knows at the prices these sell for now its a wonder why they don't do some limited production runs.
Although Horizon bought the rights to the kits they did not purchase any of the tooling to manufacture the kits. The speculation by hobbyists at the time was that perhaps there would be future interest in kit production with manufacturing in China. We aren't holding our breath that they will ever reproduce the kits and all indications are that Top Flite is being phased out of existence by Horizon.
Old 12-28-2021, 08:34 PM
Quikturn

Originally Posted by ww2collector
Although Horizon bought the rights to the kits they did not purchase any of the tooling to manufacture the kits. The speculation by hobbyists at the time was that perhaps there would be future interest in kit production with manufacturing in China. We aren't holding our breath that they will ever reproduce the kits and all indications are that Top Flite is being phased out of existence by Horizon.
That would really be a shame. I’m guessing the thought is there’s no money to be made in selling TF kits as there are fewer builders these days.

As an update, I did find a set of plans for the Dora. I also found and purchased the cockpit kit as well so now I’m all set.
Old 11-23-2022, 09:08 AM
ton2di
My Feedback: (182)

Hello guys. Recently got this beautiful, preserved TF FW 190D. I have a few P51’s, Corsair’s, etc, but not this one. Does it fly well?

Old 11-23-2022, 06:56 PM
Quikturn

That’s a nice find. From what I heard and seen, they fly nice. Do you have flaps & retracts? What will you use for power?
Old 11-23-2022, 07:14 PM
ton2di
My Feedback: (182)

Thanks. Yea. It has flaps and air retracts now. Currently has an OS91FX. Will fly it first then maybe change into a 4 stroke.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.