Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Top-Flite 1/5th F4U Corsair ARF Group Build and modification thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Top-Flite 1/5th F4U Corsair ARF Group Build and modification thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 03:01 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chad Veich
My bad Shaun. I should've known that there was more to the story.
No sweat, Chris!
Old 01-16-2018, 06:16 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Shaun which temp monitor are you using for the cowl flaps?
Old 01-16-2018, 06:21 PM
Shaun Evans

Hi

I'm only using the Spektrum one that goes around the engine fins and connects to the temp port on the telemetry receiver.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:23 PM
Chris Nicastro

Oh so its not driving the operation of the flaps?
Are the flaps on a switch or slaved to the throttle?
Old 01-17-2018, 04:15 AM
Shaun Evans

Chris,

I have it on the right slider, and not slaved to anything. Frankly, I thought they'd be decorative. I was pretty surprised at how much of a difference they made on the temps.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:27 AM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

So I finally did the maiden on Sunday. The flight was OK. I've been flying that Phoenix Spit for so long that I got used to warbirds flying like trainers, so the first few minutes were a 'reorientation' to flying. Though I think the plane was a bit tail-heavy, I needed a bunch of up-elevator trim. Strange. I didn't suck up the gear for a while, so maybe the strut-covers were part of that? My lateral balance was way off because of where I stuck my batteries and where I put the ballast (nearly 2 pounds) so I needed a lot of aileron trim, too. The engine was rich so it wasn't a speed-demon, but the climb and loops were hearty.

The field was rained-out a few days ago, and there were mounds of dirt and debris on the runway. Of course, I hit one on landing, but got away with it. When I landed, I discovered that the tail-gear mount was busted and the tail unit floating in there. The screws that hold the cowl on were all backed out and the cowl was floating there, basically being held in place by the engine drive-washer. Two of the four needle-valves on my UP-3 valve were backed totally out and rolling around in the fuselage. Basically, I dodged a few bullets but she flew!

Are you guys noticing ballooning when you deploy flaps?
Old 01-17-2018, 05:16 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

You must be blessed! It sounds like the plane came in "on a wing and a prayer."
Old 01-17-2018, 10:12 PM
Chris Nicastro

Lucky flight!
The Cowl screws, wing screws and engine screws all have to be checked every flight with this plane. Ive had issues with this stuff all along.
The tail gear mount is weak so thats no surprise, mine broke twice, Ive toughened it up back there.
With the gear down you should see a little nose down pitch with the drag. I balanced mine at the wing spar blade. It flies great for me there, landings are nice.
When I had functioning cowl flaps it looked great and stayed cool. The problem was the vibration because it wore parts out and the servos couldn't take it. It was fun and I learned a lot.

Happy landings!
Old 01-17-2018, 10:41 PM
jagdpanther9

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm a member of the broken tail wheel mount club as well. i guess it isnt just the FG 90 on my model that is shaking things apart. my cowl screws have come loose and all of the fasteners on my robart electric retracts came loose on the 2nd flight. beware of the engine box as well mine cracked where it is glued to the firewall. there was room to epoxy 1/4 x 1/4 hard wood on the sides and bottom. just remember how lucky you guys are to be flying! it just made it above freezing here today for the first time in ever! probably a good 3 months before i can fly my corsair : (
Old 01-19-2018, 04:09 AM
Shaun Evans

Here's that maiden landing!
Old 01-19-2018, 09:03 PM
jagdpanther9

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that's just the luck! right where you set down there's a clump of dirt! mine broke on the 2nd landing just a little hop and bounce on landing. there were a bunch of others @ the field who saw it and we were all surprised that it is all it took to to break the mount.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:32 AM
Shaun Evans

Yeah,

On the next flight, I'll go out and do a FOD-walk. I went in to fix the tail-wheel mount. Pretty shocking how flimsy everything is back there. I was able to pop the cracked rails loose by hand. We'll see what happens, I guess!
Old 01-20-2018, 11:47 AM
Chris Nicastro

Shaun, just a suggestion, fly the rudder more. Watch that low speed aileron input because with this plane it will take you off coarse pretty quickly as it wallows. The rudder is effective at low speed and predictable. I suggest some practice so you can trust it. Nice landing tho!
Old 01-21-2018, 06:08 AM
Shaun Evans

Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro
Shaun, just a suggestion, fly the rudder more. Watch that low speed aileron input because with this plane it will take you off coarse pretty quickly as it wallows. The rudder is effective at low speed and predictable. I suggest some practice so you can trust it. Nice landing tho!

Chris,

Yeah, good obs! Normally, I'm all over my rudder. I never touched rudders on models until I learned to fly full-scale. Now my left thumb is as active as the right. On that maiden, I barely touched it because I didn't have much of a chance to feel it out up high and also because it's so spongy (due to the lousy design and quality of the hardware/linkage) I was a little apprehensive. I hope to get her out again today after I've fixed all the stuff that went wrong on the maiden. Thanks!
Old 01-23-2018, 07:23 AM
Shaun Evans

HI

Have any of you had issues with stab incidence? My bird required a ton of up-trim, even when it was tail-heavy.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:45 AM
Lifer

Are you sure it's the stab and not the wing?
Old 01-23-2018, 12:39 PM
Shaun Evans

Originally Posted by Lifer
Are you sure it's the stab and not the wing?
Hi

No, I'm not.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:23 PM
Lifer

Somewhere in this thread, or another was a picture of somebody adding structure inside the fuse to support the wing. As designed, the fuse sides handle the stress of having the wing bolt on. I have seen this compress the fuse in other planes and that changes the incidence, so I added the structure indicated.

If you have access to an incidence meter, you can verify the situation with yours.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:04 AM
COL J

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lifer
Somewhere in this thread, or another was a picture of somebody adding structure inside the fuse to support the wing. As designed, the fuse sides handle the stress of having the wing bolt on. I have seen this compress the fuse in other planes and that changes the incidence, so I added the structure indicated.

If you have access to an incidence meter, you can verify the situation with yours.
You can find this mod on page 3, post 67. I did this mod but haven't flown the plane yet.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:15 AM
Lifer

Well, it is a good mod. My plane needed basically no trim adjustments with a balance at the rear-most recommended point. Thanks for the insight!
Old 01-24-2018, 03:58 PM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

On this ARF, with the belly-pan already attached and such, what would a wing incidence adjustment look like?
Old 01-24-2018, 04:22 PM
Lifer

Might have to build up or remove a portion of the saddle. Adjust the position of the front dowel rods, etc. Of course, it could also be a stabilizer issue. A Robart Incidence meter is the best tool for checking. Two of them makes it a lot easier.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:34 PM
Chris Nicastro

I have not noticed any issues with regard to stab or wing incidence. My trims are pretty much neutral all around. I balance at the wing spar when I flew it with the DLE 55RA and now with the Saito FG84.
I do notice wear and tear around the wing saddle area and the belly pan has been flexed away from the wing a little bit. The wear on the wing is pretty even along the wing and fuse contact point. Now at its current flying weight Im a little concerned about wear and tear. It might be wise to fiberglass the wing and fuse saddle area.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:59 AM
Shaun Evans

Hello....

OK, so I'm at my wit's end with what to do about this new problem.

My stab-to-fuse joint let go after the first or second flight. I noticed cracks in the paint right at the root of the stab on the bottom. I thought maybe it was just the paint, but I then noticed the stab 'flapping' at the next startup. Upon further examination, the crack was from the LE to the TE on the bottom, and even through the balsa sheeting on one side. I pried the gap open and added CA (on both sides). That held for one flight. Though I really didn't want to ugly it up like this, I went ahead and removed the glass and added triangle gusset stock on the bottom (on both sides) with 5-minute epoxy and even glassed over the triangle stock. After painting that, it really wasn't all that noticeable so I flew again. After landing, the edges of the triangle stock were cleanly separated from the fuse. At the field, I applied a LOT of thin CA into the crack between the triangle stock and the fuse and flew. Same thing. That cleanly broke loose, but now even the TE stick on the stab is cracking laterally.

How would you guys tackle this? I'll add some pics later.

Last edited by Shaun Evans; 01-28-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:08 AM
Lifer

Call Tower and ask them to give you another one. This is a clear defect and has not been reported by anyone else during the life of this dedicated thread. It must be a build defect generated by the factory. At the least, ask for a new fuselage, stab/elevator and rudder assembly, though likely a new, complete kit would be cheaper for Tower. The plane is dangerous.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.