Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Top-Flite 1/5th F4U Corsair ARF Group Build and modification thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Top-Flite 1/5th F4U Corsair ARF Group Build and modification thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 01:07 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Looking good! Im really interested in final weight when you get there.
From my experience this plane will fly ok at a higher weight but the landing approach and touch down will be faster in certain conditions. I want to glass mine too so I can't wait for your maiden and flight reports on this one.
Im switching back to 2 stroke and using the DLE 61 this time. Last time I had the DLE 55RA and it was very sporty and light. With the FG 84 it really gets a head of steam and climbs way out but flies heavy in the pattern to land. Im looking for the in between performance from the 61 and glassing it might put it back to the heavy side.

Did you use a 2mm wide tape for the panel lines? I used a now out of production Kartograph tape that was 1mm wide for my P-38 project and now I can only find 2mm tape from Tamiya. Anybody know of 1mm tape please chime in!
Old 03-27-2019, 02:33 AM
droppedgmc
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro
Looking good! Im really interested in final weight when you get there.
From my experience this plane will fly ok at a higher weight but the landing approach and touch down will be faster in certain conditions. I want to glass mine too so I can't wait for your maiden and flight reports on this one.
Im switching back to 2 stroke and using the DLE 61 this time. Last time I had the DLE 55RA and it was very sporty and light. With the FG 84 it really gets a head of steam and climbs way out but flies heavy in the pattern to land. Im looking for the in between performance from the 61 and glassing it might put it back to the heavy side.

Did you use a 2mm wide tape for the panel lines? I used a now out of production Kartograph tape that was 1mm wide for my P-38 project and now I can only find 2mm tape from Tamiya. Anybody know of 1mm tape please chime in!
I use 3/32 chart tape. Also check out the video link of the plane flying before the make over. This was only my 3rd flight with the plane and was still getting used to her. Same engine as now. Video was with a 24x10 prop

Old 03-28-2019, 06:48 PM
dusturbd

Originally Posted by rowdog_14
Yeah this seem crazy. I am tempted to see if they would just send me another wing set and I send this back or just cut an angled relief in the aileron so that it works properly. Here are some pictures
the one I just picked up is the same way
Old 04-07-2019, 05:34 AM
dusturbd

this may have been posted somewhere in here and I just missed it but can someone tell me if a H9 tail wheel fits in the Top Flite
Thanks
Old 04-09-2019, 10:38 PM
jagdpanther9

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so is this right? tower says the TF Giant Corsair ARF will be available again in late may?!!? i thought these were discontinued?

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXATDZ&P=0
Old 04-10-2019, 12:47 PM
droppedgmc

Weighed the corsair today...28.6lbs after all said and done
Old 04-10-2019, 02:49 PM
Chris Nicastro

Interesting, a little heavy.
If you have never flown this plane on the heavy side then you’re going to notice the weight almost immediately. Mine balances on the aluminum wing spar with the stab level, gear down and tank dry. In this configuration I can land with low fuel and the plane is very docile and easy to handle. If it was more nose heavy then the landings will get more sporty and less comfortable.
So just a suggestion, at the new weight, take it up high and do some stalls and dirty approaches with a couple flap settings so you can get the feel of it. It was very different from the light configuration for me and I had to figure it out. It reminded me of the H9 Corsair in the way it handled heavy on approach.

Happy landings, keep us posted and I hope you get video!
Old 04-10-2019, 02:55 PM
Chris Nicastro

Originally Posted by dusturbd
this may have been posted somewhere in here and I just missed it but can someone tell me if a H9 tail wheel fits in the Top Flite
Thanks
I does fit.
I have seen it installed and working before. I have one but have not installed it because I’d have to undo my custom servo installation, rudder servo in back above the gear.

I’d suggest you do it so the tail isn’t so low to the ground especially on grass. I had to modify the Robart gear to increase the height and just clear the door opening at the back.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:15 PM
droppedgmc

If you have never flown this plane on the heavy side then you’re going to notice the weight almost immediately. Mine balances on the aluminum wing spar with the stab level, gear down and tank dry. In this configuration I can land with low fuel and the plane is very docile and easy to handle. If it was more nose heavy then the landings will get more sporty and less comfortable.
So just a suggestion, at the new weight, take it up high and do some stalls and dirty approaches with a couple flap settings so you can get the feel of it. It was very different from the light configuration for me and I had to figure it out. It reminded me of the H9 Corsair in the way it handled heavy on approach.

I have flown this plane before the make over..see the flight post #627. Im balancing mine on the aluminum spars too. Those are exactly at 5 3/4"
Old 04-10-2019, 07:08 PM
dusturbd

I does fit.
I have seen it installed and working before. I have one but have not installed it because I’d have to undo my custom servo installation, rudder servo in back above the gear.

I’d suggest you do it so the tail isn’t so low to the ground especially on grass. I had to modify the Robart gear to increase the height and just clear the door opening at the back.

thanks for the info
Old 04-10-2019, 07:10 PM
dusturbd

I does fit.

it was my understanding you where to balance the Corsair with the gear up to better replicate actual flying configuration?
Old 04-10-2019, 08:18 PM
droppedgmc

I do my gear up..
Old 04-10-2019, 11:53 PM
Chris Nicastro

Since the gear swing forward there is a CG shift.
I balance with the gear down and the tank empty so I know the plane will never have a rear CG condition. Most likely the tank will not be empty so between the aerodynamic drag of the gear down and the least amount of fuel possible the plane will always be neutral to slightly nose heavy on approach.
If you balance with the gear retracted and tank empty then the plane will have a CG shift to a nose heavy condition plus any fuel load it carries.
If you want a more agile plane try it with the gear down and tank empty.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:08 PM
dusturbd

So the bash is on I will be coping some things I have seen on this post so thanks to everybody who has shared
Old 04-14-2019, 07:13 PM
droppedgmc

Awesome!
Old 04-14-2019, 07:27 PM
dusturbd

Already ordered up the FS cowl with open flaps and a dummy radial

Last edited by dusturbd; 04-14-2019 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Add pictures
Old 04-14-2019, 07:29 PM
dusturbd

Will also be addressing the weak linkages in the tail section
Old 04-20-2019, 06:36 AM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting bash.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:27 PM
Chris Nicastro

Started the engine make over on my Corsair. Dropped the FG 84 and now she gets a DLE 61 with a Jtec Pitts style muffler.
I have a custom firewall made for the FG 84 that lets me pull everything out at once, tank, servo included. Now Im changing it over to the DLE 61 and had to make an adapter bulkhead. Pretty simple, used the 30mm standoffs from the FG 84 so the prop hub is in the same basic position.

I was looking at the specs on this engine, the 61, and the claimed thrust is 30 or so pounds! Im looking forward to this hot rod! This plane will be well under 30 pounds soaking wet so vertical climb outs and loops are going to be huge.

A few photos to come...
Old 04-23-2019, 04:44 AM
rowdog_14
My Feedback: (5)

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Man you all have put in some work. My unflown still being built fell off the wall last night from about 8 feet up . Damage does not look too bad.

Old 04-23-2019, 03:42 PM
Chris Nicastro

Cool, now you can reprofile the rudder to a more scale look with slightly more area! I did this mod to mine is why I mention it... not the dropping part, just the rudder.

That sucks, I hope its ok.I have mine up high for storage too and I have had visions of it falling also.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:02 PM
dusturbd

Got a hatch made today to access batteries and ignition module
Old 04-26-2019, 07:04 PM
droppedgmc

Looking great!
Old 04-26-2019, 10:18 PM
Chris Nicastro

Engine swap progress, you can see the custom engine mount for the FG84. Its made to allow the whole power unit to come out with 5 bolts. Im using the same concept to install the DLE 61. The plane flies fine with zero thrust offset.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:21 PM
Chris Nicastro

The Keleo Exh. Ring has a smoke fitting at the top and although I capped it off it did develop a leak. This caused a mess so just be aware. It's a smooth tube without a barb.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.