Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Anyone use National balsa for Ziroli kits?

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Anyone use National balsa for Ziroli kits?

Old 12-24-2012, 06:19 PM
LargeScale88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone use National balsa for Ziroli kits?

Hey Fred,

As I started working on the fuselage I realized that the wing saddle piece is way out of wack. I placed the laser cut part on the plan, and it was off. So, I cut out my own wing saddle piece, and that was also off, so the template on the plan is whats throwing everything off. I'm not sure if you will have the same problem, I imagine you will, but just a heads up.

Also, there are a few fuselage formers, can't remember the ones exactly, but they were off a little bit, so I re cut those myself.

Other than those small errors, its been a great laser cut kit to work with.

Jason
Old 12-24-2012, 09:13 PM
ddornhoffer
My Feedback: (1)

Jason,

If the template is off and is different from the piece when positioned on the blueprints, I would give them a call and let them know. I do not think there is a cut kit out there that has everything cut 100% perfect, but if the template is off, telling them wou,d allow them to adjust their cutting and prevent any issues in the future. A company is only as good as the feedback it gets. I had a few pieces missing - not cut pieces but sheet pieces of ply - was no fault of theirs because the pieces were NOT on the materials list Ziroli sends with the plans. I told them and this allows them to add them to the eqipment list. They are great people and I am sure they would appreciate your input.

David
Old 12-25-2012, 03:47 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the template is off, isn't it the designer's problem ? Kits are cut to the templates taken from the plans. In my opinion, cutters shouldn't be held responsible for designer's mistakes.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:45 AM
ddornhoffer

I agree 100% Tom...that is what I was saying. But if the template is off it needs to be redrawn somehow. As I found with pieces missing from my full kit, cutters only have materials lists and blueprints from designer. If the piece is not on the materials list, or the plans are wrong, what can they do??
Old 12-25-2012, 04:53 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I feel that it's up to the designer to correct the mistakes. The corrections can then be passed on to the cutters. It is not, and should not be, the cutter's responsibility to correct errors. In effect, he would be modifying the original design, and would need to publish the fact that he was selling a modified version.

There are way too many times where I've seen the cutter blamed for the designer's mistakes.

By the time we have developed the ability to build from plans, we have developed the abilities to identify errors and correct them ourselves.

Just my opinion.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:40 AM
N0JRS

I'm putting in my fourth order to National Balsa. I live in Northeastern Colorado, so I have to keep a supply of building balsa. I call it my "lumber yard". It is 90% National Balsa. Every sheet and stick is first quality. So far I have built a 96" Lanzo Bomber, 80" Playboy, and a 120" Comet Clipper from their wood. My next two projects will be a 150% (82") Miss Stick, and a 84" Powerhouse. I like the fact that the sticks are straight. They get my vote. I haven't found anyone who comes close to their prices.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:05 AM
Ikerus

I am currently building a Hostetler Cessna 182 and I had the kit cut by National Balsa. It is one of the best things that I have done, it has been so easy to find what I need and it just falls out of the cut. So far I have not had any issues with any of the pieces but I am still early in the build.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:23 PM
Moggy
My Feedback: (9)

I Just ordered by short kit for Ziroli Spit from National Balsa. I ordered it on Tuesday and it arrived to Connecticut UPS on Thursday. Wood grade is fantastic and packaged very well. Perhaps this is the best cutting I have seen in over 20 plus years in the hobby. Good service and quality deserves a plug. Good Stuff!
Old 03-08-2014, 07:50 PM
boothg-3

I bought a full kit based on recommendations , so if you buy one open it and catalog everything as soon as it arrives . I trusted mine was complete it wasn't
Old 03-11-2014, 12:22 PM
Flyfast1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am building a 1/4 scale Supermarine Spitfire and in the last six months have placed several orders from National Balsa. I have been completely satisfied with the quality and price of the wood.

-Ed B.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:21 AM
chistech

I just had a Katz designed Devastator cut by Kit Cutters and Joe re-cut the wing ribs because the drawings of each individual ribs were slightly too large and when those cut ribs were put on the plan they we too large. He cut another set of ribs for me. He caught this problem and cut the ribs without me asking but I agree something like this is not his fault but the designer's fault. I have a huge assortment of balsa on hand from club members who have passed away but I will buy anything I don't have from National Balsa. Here are a couple pictures of my Brian Taylor Kingfisher built with a Bob Holman short kit but all the additional wood came from National. Great people to work with and I just recently was at their booth at the WRAM show in NJ. If I wanted to build any one of the kits they offer I wouldn't hesitate to do so. They had a great assortment of wood at the show and guys were leaving with handfuls of it.

Also included a couple pics of the Kit Cutters short kit of the Katz Devastator
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	BT Kingfisher 253.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	1977311   Click image for larger version

Name:	BT Kingfisher 223.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	804.0 KB
ID:	1977312   Click image for larger version

Name:	BT Kingfisher 024.jpg
Views:	55