Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Good Third Foamie Warbird?

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Good Third Foamie Warbird?

Old 07-16-2012, 08:43 AM
Zeldinio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Third Foamie Warbird?

Hello, I am looking for a good third plane. I started with a tower .40 glow trainer (a fun plane, but my engine sure didn't like me). My second plane was an ultra micro parkzone P-51. I like flying a large plane, but I have truly fallen in love with the warbirds. I have spent quite a bit of time flying and in the simulator. Along with being 18 comes the budget issues, so I need to keep it relatively low.

What I am looking for:

-A 30-48 inch wingspan
-Electric powered
-Foamie Warbird
-Preferably ARF as I don't have much time.

Ever since I was a kid I have loved the P-38 Lightning, but I have heard that it has really bad tip stalls? Plus the dual engine/ESC may push me a bit outside my budget. I spent the better part of yesterday reading through the forums and it seems that everyone like the PZ T-28D, but I don't really like the way it looks (Thats just me).

Any input or even a complete alternative idea would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:55 AM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Good Third Foamie Warbird?

welcome to RCU,

try the parkzone Spitfire Mk9, P51, or P47. All fly quite nicly and are offered in RTF

Casey
Old 07-16-2012, 09:46 AM
ESSAR

I second that, especially the p-47.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:11 AM
Mk23socom
My Feedback: (7)

I third that.. I have the P-47 and love it.. I also have an Me-109 and it requires a bit of attention on hand launch thanks to a small vertical stab.. My pops has the Spitfire and it is just as awesome as the P-47.. I can't imagine getting something better for the money to be honest!! make a choice, order it, and have a flippin blast..

Also, I might add that the P-47 has a belly skid pan so the grass field landings do not scuff it up and dent the foam so I would say as far as durability is concerned, they are tops from my experiences..

Mine is currently out of the fight after piling it in at full throttle because I forgot to extend my 72mHz antennae.. I used some CA, hot glue, and toothpicks and the airframe is ready again.. just need to order a new motor and cowl.. I say thumbs up to the Parkzone line absolutely!!
Old 07-16-2012, 04:35 PM
aymodeler
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Also take a look at the T-28. I have the PZ T-28, P-51, and the F4F (which has not yet been flown). The P-51 is a bit faster and aerobatic, but the T-28 is my go-to plane and just plain fun to fly. Also, the tricycle gear layout is less susceptible to nose-overs than a tail dragger.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:58 AM
ducky22

Not sure of your budget, but FMS (sold through Banana Hobby and Nitro Planes) has a foamie P-38 RTF and ARF. The ARF is $219 and the RTFis $269. It is 57" wingspan with retracts.

I bought the FMS Stuka and the quality is great.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:15 AM
Zeldinio

Alright, thanks for the responses guys. I looked at the P-47 and it looks pretty fantastic! But then again, the FMS P-38 sounds great too. Certainly have given me some things to think about thanks!
Old 07-17-2012, 07:41 AM
Mk23socom
My Feedback: (7)

I would recommend getting something from the PZ line first. #1 reason for that is this.. Horizon has a fantastic track record for delivering things as you would expect them. I have heard from too many guys that ordering from Banana and HobbyKing have ended up poorly for them. I am willing to risk it one day when I want to try something from them. I am established in this hobby so I can afford to have a poor purchase experience from time to time. You are fairly new to this and having something like that happen is not only hard on your budget, but can have potentially detrimental effects on your perception of the hobby. I would like very much for you to have a great experience with this and I can recommend nothing better from my experience than the P-47. I promise if you get it, you will love it.. and later, give the P-38 a try and you may find another little gem for yourself!.. Good luck buddy!!