Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Quadra 75 in a Top Flite P-47

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Quadra 75 in a Top Flite P-47

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 12:09 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Quadra 75 in a Top Flite P-47

Ok, I lost my TopFlite Gaint P51 very said day, but its time to find a replacement.

I have decied on the TopFlite Gaint P47, My wife likes it and It will only take $150 in parts to fix the retract for this bird.

Ihave a Quadra 75 with spring start and mag, that I got when I thought I was going to have time to stick build a Top Flite Gaint Corsair.

So anyways, I know this motor is a little heavy, seems to be about 6 pounds with the muff, mag and spring start.wich seems to be about 1 pound more over a G62.

I have serveal war birds but I really want one that will swing a nice 4 blade prop and I know this motor will do it, I was thinking a 20X10 X 4 blade will work nice on this motor.

Anyone have firewall isses with there ARF?

I know I will have to put all the weight in the tail that I can, ie: reciver packs, and will do the retracting tail wheel.

Anyone have any CG issues with this bird?

I know scale flying can be done with a US41 and it screems reall nice with a DLE55

Aguy showed up one day whileme and my boy were flying (He has a hanger 9 b25 with 2 4 strokes and my DLE55 P51 and we all few exscort, one of the best days ever)

Thanks Mike
Old 07-18-2012, 12:36 PM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Quadra 75 in a Top Flite P-47

Having flown the TF 47 since they came out a Quadra 75 is massive overkill! Mine have G-62's in them and that is much more than needed. I fly at 5,000 feet! My suggestion is sell the 75 and use the money for a g-62 or DLE 55.
Larry
Old 07-18-2012, 12:48 PM
fytrjok
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Build a Meister 118" Zero! A Q75 pulled mine around just fine! That is, until the vibration from that big single cylinder thumper caused the whole firewall to fall off in flight. I did have a 3w75 in a Top Flite GS P-51...loved it! That sucker was so fast I hardly had time to enjoy it as she flew by on a low pass! A Q75 is certainly overkill at your altitude but probably doable. Just be sure that your firewall and fuse is reinforced with carbon fiber!
Old 07-18-2012, 02:27 PM
Warbird Man
My Feedback: (95)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd go with it if you can fit most of it in there. Overkill with a 2 blade, ya. But if your going to swing a 4 blader, you'll need the extra power.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:33 PM
paulrcpilot-RCU
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just test flew mine last weekend it is powered by a DA 85, it balanced fine with no weight added. I am running a three bladed prop and with that prop WOT passes ate really fun. Great flying airframe, i say use what you have and enjoy yourself!

Paul

Old 07-18-2012, 05:04 PM
Edwin

Several guys are flying the TF P-47 with 80cc engines. Nothing like a screaming pass low over the runway to raise the hair on the back of your neck. Mine will have a G-62 in it when finished.
Edwin
Old 07-18-2012, 05:09 PM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

I used to race my buddy's T/F jug . He had a Q75in it. IT ran great and flew fast.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:05 PM
mikes68charger

Carbon fiber the firewall? How?

I always pin my firewalls. Drill a small whole into the firewall fill hole with thin ca. Then put a screw in it.

Are you saying to put carbon fiber from the rear?

Thanks guys I just got the ok. I wish I did not have to pay the $80 shipping. I wonder if I get my hobby store to order it with they charge me shipping?
Old 07-19-2012, 07:40 AM
yard-dart
My Feedback: (35)

Theory is, if it will fit, it will work. But, and this is a big but, you don't wan't to have to add any extra weight to the tail to get it to balance. It's always good to add a heavier engine if nose weight is needed to balance, but you don't want to add too heavy of an engine to where tail weight has to be added. Also, and this is just my personal opinion, forget about the speed. I know there a lot of guys out there that like to see just how fast they can get their plane to fly, but in reality, it is so non-scale. It's fun to watch for a flight or two, but after that it sorta gets monotonous. If you want a scale-like bird, try to keep the speed as scale as possible. With that being said, you've got an engine that will turn a nice, scale four-blade prop. Just my two cents.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:37 AM
fytrjok

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I epoxy 2"x5" carbon fiber cloth from the firewall to the fuse in three places. In time those "pins" can wobble out and crack the fuse sheeting. The CF pretty much makes the joint permanent. I used to do this with fiberglass but CF is significantly stronger.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:38 AM
dubs1946

Hi, i have a P47 with a 3W 85cc in 15 flights no problems, it balances without any lead but mine is a built up and i have reinforced the fire wall and other bits.
You will find the Quadra is ok no problem and not over powered , but if its an ARF it flys great with a DLE55 so the 75 should be ok.
If its the ARF just hook the engine retracts etc.in a temporary fashion to check the balance and go from there.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:26 AM
mikes68charger

ORIGINAL: fytrjok

I epoxy 2"x5" carbon fiber cloth from the firewall to the fuse in three places. In time those "pins" can wobble out and crack the fuse sheeting. The CF pretty much makes the joint permanent. I used to do this with fiberglass but CF is significantly stronger.

Thanks guys, where do you get this carbon fiber?

Thanks
Old 07-20-2012, 07:35 AM
tfarmer96

This is how

http://www.wyliewarbirds.com/project...ion/index.html

and

http://www.wyliewarbirds.com/projects/tysp47/index.html

I have been flying one with a da 85 for years now and i have had customers request the 85 power plant install in them. It is way more than it needs but if you like to hot rod go for it. A DLE 55 is a great power plant for this bird. I didnt mod the firewall.