Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gyro a steering

I have a new Carf Corsair and have a runway that is long but narrow and tall grass Hay on rather side. Am a little concerned about staying on the center with this new Airplane have one good test flight and all is well so far.

Any information about a steering gyro os this type of war bird good or bad.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Gyro a steering

There's an exhaustive thread on using gyro's on the rudder. Personally just I'd be smooth on the power and hold a little up elevator to keep the tail wheel down until the rudder becomes effective.
    Andy - Helicopter Forum Moderator
    AMA 77227 Leader Member- Contest Director
    www.JaxRC.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Roger that is what I do as well and it works out great. This Corsair is very large and landing roll out is what I am mostly looking for steerage.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here you go. Don't operate heavy machinery while reading

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_60..._1/key_/tm.htm
    www.JaxRC.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We had a very long and difficult fight with the steering on Phil's CARF Corsair, which has 75+ flights on it. Anyway, approach, landing, touchdown, tailwheel down...then hang on because if it required any aggressive corrections to maintain centerline the model would basically become uncontrollable and usually depart the runway. Luckily the Sierra landing gear can take such abuse with a 63 pound model. The only time it was steady on roll out was with a good 10 knots or so of wind down the runway.

We tried a gyro on the rudder/steering and it made absolutely no difference whatsoever so we removed it. We removed the CARF-supplied tailwheel because of it's hockey puck like composition and resultant complete lack of traction on a paved surface. We replaced it with a high end solid rubber jet wheel and things got a little better but still there would be instances of a wild and crazy ride.

Then 65 flights into the model's life I was checking the tailgear and noticed that the steering servo wasn't very strong, it was in fact a Spektrum DS821 with all of what...maybe 100oz of torque. After berating Phil he installed a Spektrum 6030 with 287oz of power and presto, the ground handling issues went away. For all those flights we had nothing to fight back with, the weak servo would work taxiing out and back but with 10 pounds of tailwheel weight when we demanded quick corrective steering inputs the servo simply stalled.

In summation, no gyro needed but make sure you have good traction and a powerfull steering servo because as soon as the rudder loses aerodynamic authority that steering is critical to keeping the plane on runway centerline.

Awesome airplane, have fun with it.
    Greg

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Not sure why anyone would use those servos on anything above a 40 size trainer. Heck JR/Spektrum warn against it using them in larger models and helis.
    www.JaxRC.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Greg, now that you have replaced the tail servo, it might be better with a gyro. I flown heli for a while and we typically use the fastest and strongest servo for the tail.
    Happy Flying!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: fw190

Greg, now that you have replaced the tail servo, it might be better with a gyro. I flown heli for a while and we typically use the fastest and strongest servo for the tail.
    We also fly them backwards at 100mph
    www.JaxRC.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great information I do see the importants of good control. I have only one flight on the Corsair and the landing was ok just pulled the power on final and the Model slowed down very fast and stalled about two feet above the runway so there was very little roll out it was a a carrier landing. In looking at all the videos of the pros flight this bird they all use power until the mains touch the runway not a lot of power just some, on roll out there is a lot of speed so it will be I am sure as you say a hand full. jr 8411 or jr8611a

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I stole this approach technique from a video clip of #57, the Racing Corsair, and it works very well. With full flaps (always with full flaps), fly a high and steep final approach, don't worry, with those flaps and speed brake gear doors it will not pick up too much speed. Power should be at idle or maybe just a tick above idle. You should be able to see the top of the wing. Keep that approach path all the way down to the flare/round out to touchdown. Depending on how you judge the distance to the approach end of the runway, you may have to add a little power during the flare to land, put the power in momentarily and take it right back out. I feel this approach technique is much safer than a drug-in nose high approach in a quest to achieve a 3-point touchdown. Go for the 3-point, but only with the main gear about 6 inches off the ground.

Phil's Corsair is flying so well without a gyro we feel no need to re-install it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fd91698.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	1785424  
    Greg

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Phil

I have been flying for 42 years in Alaska and have mostly operated in remote single Engine C-185, Pa-18, DHC-2, C-206 on small runways. The approach that you use I have used many many time with great results. The steep approach and flair at the right time dissipates the forward speed very fast a if the timing is right it results in a very short land. My first landing was just that about 75 feet just did not give it that burst of power to keep it from falling thur.

Pat

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Awesome Pat, you know exactly what I'm talking about. My full-scale experience was all with 10,000+ ft runways and the B-1's mass pretty much ruled out a steep low-power approach!
    Greg

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Greg, It has taken me many cool places. The Coast of Alaska Cook-inlet.

Name:	Sq46288.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	187.0 KB 
ID:	1786118  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Very nice Pat. Now, something like your plane and more importantly your location, would entice me to get into civilian flying. But here in Las Vegas I don't have that motivation and models are providing plenty of entertainment.

Here's a rare 3-point from a fly in we did over at Chino, I don't pull these off very often but sometimes when you are 6 inches off the deck you can milk it.

Name:	Ay73826.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	164.8 KB 
ID:	1786140  
    Greg

Sweet pics and landing. Nice looking Corsair!
    Oops !!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks, credit for the plane goes to the owner Phil Smith who generously let's me fly it. Phil is quite the craftsman, his next project is the CARF P-47 again with a Moki 250.
    Greg