Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF FW190 GIANT ARF

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF FW190 GIANT ARF

Old 01-04-2013, 04:55 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TF FW190 GIANT ARF

ORIGINAL: Ramstein44

DLE-RA requires you to adapt the firewall to fit it.
When you said the Firewall needs to be adapted, are you referring to relocating the mounting holes only, or are their other modifications needed to the firewall to accomadate the DLE55RA?

Thanks, the reason I am asking, I am leaning towards the DLE55RA vs the other DLE Side Exhaust Model.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:01 AM
ForcesR

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: dasintex

ORIGINAL: Ramstein44

DLE-RA requires you to adapt the firewall to fit it.
When you said the Firewall needs to be adapted, are you referring to relocating the mounting holes only, or are their other modifications needed to the firewall to accomadate the DLE55RA?

Thanks, the reason I am asking, I am leaning towards the DLE55RA vs the other DLE Side Exhaust Model.
dasintex, you just have to relocate the mounting holes for the DLE 55RA.

Roger
Old 01-04-2013, 05:17 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Thanks for the clarification, relocating the holes not a big deal, I figure the Rear Exhaust DLE will fit better in the 190 without having to open up the cowl too much.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:02 AM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The RA will be better if you use the motor in another warbird later, such as the P51 or P40.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:05 AM
SrTelemaster150

I've been in a nursing home for the last 3 weeks recovering from a total knee replacement.

I spending most of my time gleaning everyting I can find on the full scale FW 190A & the TF 85" ARF.

I'm getting out today & will soon have the other knee done so I will be fully recovered by spring.

Starting to salt away some $$$ for this. I put in a lot of hours W/a Dynaflite PT-19 but this will be my 1st warbird. It looks like a good choice W/the wide landing gear & simple mechanics of same. I think I will be ready when I would be able to get this finished.

I'm planning on a Saito 450R3 running C&H CDI on methanol. Power output on CDI/methanol should be about 6HP. The fit will be tight (about 3/16" cowl clearance) but I think modifying the rocker covers by flattening the tops will give ample room. Since most DLE55 installations require a few #s nose ballast, the 6# saito Radial sould balance out W/O ballast by shifting battery packs.

I haven't decided on the retracts yet. I want to keep it as simple as possible & only have 6 channels on my radio. Pnuematics might be the way to go unless electrics can be operated W/a single channel.

The operation of the (rear) landing gear & servo/radio channel requirements for steering/retraction are my biggest concern right now.

I have a Hitec Optic 6 radio. The standard 4 channels for throttle/rudder aileron/rudder is simple enough & channel 6 will handle the flaps. The actuation of the mechanical tailwheel has me concerned. I assume that the seperate steering servo can just be controled W/the rudder channel via "Y" harness. The control of the retract servo for the tailwheel is my main concern. Can it be integrated W/either the pneumatic/electric mains on the same radio channel?
Old 01-04-2013, 07:13 AM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the FW 190 is now on my work bench.
After building ARF Mustangs for myself and a couple other club members for years all I can say is "wow".
The level of completeness is amazing. Every hole is drilled for you. Lots of laser work on this one. The wing joiner fits like a glove.
I have always liked the 51 ARF's for this but, lets face it..... the TF P-51 is getting old since it was brought out. I started useing them eight years ago and they were around long before that. Don't get me wrong...I think they are still a great warbird to build/fly. All of the Top Flite models are good and i have been buying them since the 50's.

Yep, I found the tail wheel mounting in the box last night also. I thought it would be strange they didn't include one.
Going to use a DA 50 in mine and also see if I can move the servo's foreward a little also.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:22 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

You dont need a spare servo for the tail wheel. If its pneumatic just "T" it off one of the main lines and it will work fine. If its electric I imagine you can use a "Y" harness and share a channe.

Good luck with your knee.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:01 AM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: BobH

You dont need a spare servo for the tail wheel. If its pneumatic just ''T'' it off one of the main lines and it will work fine. If its electric I imagine you can use a ''Y'' harness and share a channe.

Good luck with your knee.
That's what I thought.

I'm not new to R/C, but I've been away for some time.

I've never set up retracts though.

If I use a mechanical tailwheel retract like the plans, can I use a "Y" harnes to drive the TW servo off the same channel as the electric mains?

Being a (retired) journeyman pipefitter, pneumatics seem to be the most reliable option.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:39 AM
Tommy_Gun

Made a point of ordering my Giant 190 from RC Country as soon as I saw they were releasing it.
Have had it in the shop for a couple months now. I have a couple other projects to finish before I get to work on this beautiful beast.
Managed to save enough money before the tax hikes to order a Saito FG57T and and working to save money for the retracts.
If this plane has the same staying power as the TF FW190D9 I have in my shop, then I have many years ahead to enjoy this giant.
My D9 with a YS120 is still my favorite knockaround warbird. It always gets compliments for the silly stuff I do with it.
Can't wait to get this big Wurger in the air. And with the gas burning twin four stroke it will sound great and be affordable to fly!
Old 01-04-2013, 10:40 AM
Hellcat716

Yes you can run the whole gear off of one channel with a y harness.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:21 AM
Tom in Cincy
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: SrTelemaster150

I'm planning on a Saito 450R3 running C&H CDI on methanol. Power output on CDI/methanol should be about 6HP. The fit will be tight (about 3/16'' cowl clearance) but I think modifying the rocker covers by flattening the tops will give ample room. Since most DLE55 installations require a few #s nose ballast, the 6# saito Radial sould balance out W/O ballast by shifting battery packs.

I haven't decided on the retracts yet. I want to keep it as simple as possible & only have 6 channels on my radio. Pnuematics might be the way to go unless electrics can be operated W/a single channel.
Just got my 2nd Wolfee today. The first one was taken care of by the "United Package Smashers" (ups). Telemaster, I have a 450r to mount on it. As has been posted the cowl will fit but the wooden cowl ring/mount will need mods. I am planning on using a very old pair of robart retracts intended for a nosen P47 that I never built. Looks like a good fit with a minor mod to the wheel wells. I am interested in adding E/I to the 450r. Let me know If you do one..
Old 01-04-2013, 12:47 PM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: Tom in Cincy

I am interested in adding E/I to the 450r. Let me know If you do one..
All Of my Saitos have been or are being converted to CDI. More power, better fuel economy & better handling characteristics every time.

Only one left to convert is the NIB FA200Ti. I need a modified magnet hub ring from C&H to convert it. Already have the correct hall sensor/mount as well as the twin module. Hub ring is ten same OD/ID as FA180, but needs to be 1/2" OAL.

C&H is workiing on a 4 magnet, single hall sensor/module system like the Saito FG84. A CDI like that burning methanol will make the 450R3 live up to it's full potential
Old 01-04-2013, 06:30 PM
SU-31 flyer

Just got mine today. What a big box. The DLE 50 RA engine and electric retracts are on back order. Will start after I finish the ME-262 I'm working on.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:43 PM
tfarmer96

ok its done and dusted. if you dont do a bunch of tricked up stuff its a snap to put together. I just pulled it out of the box and did a few very small mods. 3 days is all you need on this bird from box to ready to fly
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60734.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	1836850  
Old 01-04-2013, 08:31 PM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: tfarmer96

ok its done and dusted. if you dont do a bunch of tricked up stuff its a snap to put together. I just pulled it out of the box and did a few very small mods. 3 days is all you need on this bird from box to ready to fly

I know you have posted all the info on here, but what kind of mods did you do?

Which retracts, etc?

I'm particularly interested in how you treated the tailwheel as well as the mains.

I want to use a 6-channel radio in mine so there will be no auxuiliary channels, just ailerons, elevator, throttle, rudder, gear & flaps, 1 channel each.

Except for stuffing a CDI/methanol Saito 450R3 into the cowl, my build will be straight forward & as simple as possible, especially the landing gear.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:10 AM
SteveD-RCU

ORIGINAL: SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: tfarmer96

I know you have posted all the info on here, but what kind of mods did you do?

Which retracts, etc?

I'm particularly interested in how you treated the tailwheel as well as the mains.

I want to use a 6-channel radio in mine so there will be no auxuiliary channels, just ailerons, elevator, throttle, rudder, gear & flaps, 1 channel each.

Except for stuffing a CDI/methanol Saito 450R3 into the cowl, my build will be straight forward & as simple as possible, especially the landing gear.

I got a conversion kit for my Saito 300 from C&H,what are you adding to your methanol ,just oil? or oil and nitro? what ratios?

Old 01-05-2013, 07:02 AM
BobH

I'd like to believe "more power" but I'm not convinced. I have had CH Ignition and yes the engine runs better and leaner. More power though? I could never tell the difference. If you have some before and after numbers I'd love to see them.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:03 AM
SrTelemaster150

I'd like to believe ''more power'' but I'm not convinced. I have had CH Ignition and yes the engine runs better and leaner. More power though? I could never tell the difference. If you have some before and after numbers I'd love to see them.

By advancing the timing to take advantage of the Metanol fuel (34-36* BTDC) I have had typical RPM increaess of 200-300 RPM W/about 23% longer run times W/a given amount of fuel. (15% Cool Power)

The 28* BTDC settings are for gasoline. Methanol has a much slower burn so more ignition timing advance is beneficial.

One could eliminate the nitro thus lowering fuel cost W/O loosing (significant) power over the standard glow ignition/15% nitro. Mixing your own methanol/8% lube would be about 1/2 the cost of gasoline.

Furthermore: Higher nitro content will still achieve higher power output even W/CDI. My high compression FA180HC W/the BB 220 carb & ported 180 intake manifold made 3.4 HP W/15% Cool Power. Switching to 30% O'Donnel Speed Blend (8% lube) upped power to 3.94 HP. (8850 RPM W/a Dynathrust 18X8 prop)

Links to test results.

[link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1774802#post23330426]FA91S C&H Conversion[/link]

[link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1769449]FA150 FA180 FA180HC HP Tests (CDI)[/link]
Old 01-05-2013, 08:49 AM
BobH

Thank you for the explaination. I have a Saito 300 I may put on CH ignition and 15% to get just a lil more power.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:27 AM
SrTelemaster150

Thank you for the explaination. I have a Saito 300 I may put on CH ignition and 15% to get just a lil more power.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdmLu13UJzs]LIKE THIS?[/link]
Old 01-06-2013, 11:02 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

For those using FW 190 Sierra retracts, do you feel it is necessary to change the aluminum downlinks to steel? If so, how do you go about acquiring them? Is this an item Sierra will have? I did not see them on the website.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:05 AM
Ramstein44
My Feedback: (157)

I've been using the aluminum downlinks all this time with no problems. If you want to upgrade them, Possibly call Sierra and send yours in for an upgrade.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Tommy_Gun

With regard to the retracts and especially the tailwheel retraction.
The full scale 190 had individual electric actuators for each main wheel with a cable on pulleys that was linked to the right main that worked to pull
the tailwheel into the up position.
Has anyone given any thought to reproducing this type of setup?
Seems as though using a mechanical retract on the tailwheel, lightly spring loaded to the down/lock position would make it possible to run a light
cable or kevlar thread thru some nyrod to accomplish this task.

Name:	If10475.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	1837447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38879.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1837448  
Old 01-06-2013, 12:23 PM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: Tommy_Gun

With regard to the retracts and especially the tailwheel retraction.
The full scale 190 had individual electric actuators for each main wheel with a cable on pulleys that was linked to the right main that worked to pull
the tailwheel into the up position.
Has anyone given any thought to reproducing this type of setup?
Seems as though using a mechanical retract on the tailwheel, lightly spring loaded to the down/lock position would make it possible to run a light
cable or kevlar thread thru some nyrod to accomplish this task.

I think that a similar system is used W/an additional servo "Y" harness linked to the mains as the force used to pull the mechanical tailwheel retract up.

Right now, I'm thinking of using the Sierra pneumatic mains W/a separate servo "Y" harnessed into the retract circuit for the tailwheel. 1 servo for the pneumatic manis actuator valve, the other for the cable to the mechanical tailwheel.

I like the looks of the Sierras W/the downlinks better. One of the most visual striking things about the FW 190 si the angle of the mains from a frontal view & the lack of the downlinks will spoil that.

If I could modify the electric Robarts for a (cosmetic) downlink, that would be another, perhaps simpler solution.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:22 PM
Hellcat716

Flew the maiden flight today. Absolutley great flying plane. The DLE 55 pulled the plane well even with the 27 1/2 lbs. The only negative was on the roll out the plane started to ground loop and could not keep it straight, so dragged a wingtip and clipped the prop. Very minor damage. Hope to get that straightened out next time. The landing was perfect, wheel landing. Beautiful sight in the air. Hope to get some pictures next flight.

Name:	Vt58137.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1837638  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.