Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 36 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: TF FW190 GIANT ARF

ORIGINAL: TA152

Hi Ram.
    I have done the same with my Platt Fw190, but I uses magneto and a dowel to lock it. Easy access and works fine
    See you have converted it to a A7-8.
    How did you move the cowling forward like it was from the A5-A9 ?
    Just kinda happened..lol.
    "IF" I'd stop staring at them, I'd get more done to them.
    Platt FW190, Holman FW190, Meister FW190, SIST FW190, TF FW190.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I want one of those pilots but spending has gotten out of hand here lately. Personally, I wouldn't buy one unless it was painted since my painting skill are below average.[:'(] I'm geting one down the road for my David Anderson TA152 as It'll be worthy of such a masterpiece. Hopefully he'll make one for 1/4 scale soon.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It would be really cool if I could get one of the pilots with a more aggressive face as if he's intent on shooting down the mustang in his sights..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Ramstein44

I want one of those pilots but spending has gotten out of hand here lately.
    Get your priorities straight!

Stop wasting money on frivelous things like groceries, gas. etc.

Buy several casse of Ramen noodles & get a bicycle so you can conserve your $$$$ for real neccessities like realistic R/C pilots.
    Club Saito #785 - FA91S, FA150, FA180, FA180HC/BBC, FA200TI, FA300TTDP: All with CH Ignitions CDI/Glow fuel
    SIG BH #41
    - 1/3 Spacewalker, Rascal 110
    CUB BH #231 - Wings Maker 1/5 J-3 Cub

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Best post EVER! Lol!
    www.BestPilots.Typepad.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah.. I read that post while at my kids school and just broke out laughing...hilarious Needed it..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Buy several casse of Ramen noodles & get a bicycle so you can conserve your $$$$ for real neccessities like realistic R/C pilots.

Club Saito #785 - FA91S CDI, FA150 CDI, FA180 CDI, FA180HC CDI/BBC, FA200TI, FA300TTDP CDI
    LOL, I got my Ramen noodle order in. Gotta buy a bicycle now!

BTW, my FW-190 is almost finsihed. DLE 55, Toysrus action hero figure which is a bit small, Robart electric retracts (driven off their own 2S 1600 Lipo), LiFe batteries. I am dreading adding the extra weight to the front as folks are reporting! I probably should have used the G-62 in this one similar to my P-47. Hoping to maiden in a couple of weeks.

I am heading to the AMA convention this weekend in Southern California.
    Trex 700 OS105 Vbar, Logo Xxtreme 800
    TopFliteFW-190 DLE55, P-51 DA50, P-47 G-62
    Comp-ARF Tutor P-160, Comp-ARF Hawk P-160

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: sharam

Club Saito #785 - FA91S CDI, FA150 CDI, FA180 CDI, FA180HC CDI/BBC, FA200TI, FA300TTDP CDI
    Β*

Β*I am dreading adding the extra weight to the front as folks are reporting! Β*I probably sould have used the G-62 in this one similar to my P-47. Β*Hoping to maiden in a couple of weeks. Β*
    I'm planning on 6.2# of Saito 450R3 for nose ballast! Add the battery pack for the C&H CDI on top of the motor box & there shouldn't be need for much need for added "ballast".
    Club Saito #785 - FA91S, FA150, FA180, FA180HC/BBC, FA200TI, FA300TTDP: All with CH Ignitions CDI/Glow fuel
    SIG BH #41

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I joined the wing this mornig and everything fits snug on this baby. Having joined a wing like this before don't put too much glue in the spar spot. I use Elmers white glue for this job and never had a wing fail on the Mustangs. Well, at that point anyways. Trees don't count. On this one, I cut some slots with my band saw in the end of the wing joiner to allow excess glue someplace to go just in case I get too much in their. I then use a "gell white glue" for the wing roots.
    Now, to set her on her tail and get the DA 50 mounted before the tail feathers go on.
    This is the easiest GS ARF I have ever put together. Well worth the price I think? Mounting the gear strut doors is simple on this one. I usually have to spend hours doing that.
    I have used most of the hardware that came in the box but, still like my #2X3/8 button head screws for the wing servo doors.
    Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, Sr Tele,,
    I have a Saito 5-cylinder in a big bi-plane but it is just too expensive of a motor to put in a plane like this, the way I am going to use it this summer.
    I only fly the Bi-plane at special fun flys a couple times a year. Plus filling the 32oz tank with glow fuel for a 15 min flight makes me think too.
    I think your 450 R3 would be a lot better.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SrTelemaster150

I haven't decided on the retracts yet. I want to keep it as simple as possible & only have 6 channels on my radio. Pnuematics might be the way to go unless electrics can be operated W/a single channel.

The operation of the (rear) landing gear & servo/radio channel requirements for steering/retraction are my biggest concern right now.

I have a Hitec Optic 6 radio. The standard 4 channels for throttle/rudder aileron/rudder is simple enough & channel 6 will handle the flaps. The actuation of the mechanical tailwheel has me concerned. I assume that the seperate steering servo can just be controled W/the rudder channel via ''Y'' harness. The control of the retract servo for the tailwheel is my main concern. Can it be integrated W/either the pneumatic/electric mains on the same radio channel?
    OK, I've done some digging, including some calls to Robart & I got the answers to my questions about the actuation of the tailwheel retracts above.

I have posted my finding on ROBART ELECTRIC MAINGEAR & TAILWHEEL RETRACTS & posted them on another thread.
    SIG BH #41

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: MX240

I joined the wing this mornig and everything fits snug on this baby. Having joined a wing like this before don't put too much glue in the spar spot. I use Elmers white glue for this job and never had a wing fail on the Mustangs. Well, at that point anyways. Trees don't count. On this one, I cut some slots with my band saw in the end of the wing joiner to allow excess glue someplace to go just in case I get too much in their. I then use a ''gell white glue'' for the wing roots.
    Now, to set her on her tail and get the DA 50 mounted before the tail feathers go on.
    This is the easiest GS ARF I have ever put together. Well worth the price I think? Mounting the gear strut doors is simple on this one. I usually have to spend hours doing that.
    I have used most of the hardware that came in the box but, still like my #2X3/8 button head screws for the wing servo doors.
    Jim

The 450R3 will make about 6HP on CDI/methanol. That's quite a bit more than the 325R5. If you watch, the 450R3 can be had for about $1350 shipped during certain times of the year from a particular retailer. That puts the price much lower than the 325R5 too.
    SIG BH #41

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Beautiful job on the cowl Ram as well as everything else you have done....major contributions to the thread . I've been busy trying to finish another model before starting the 190 but will add that tfarmer96 paint masks are fantastic. I have been using them my current build and will be getting more for the 190. Anyone needing masks should definitely go to tfarmer96 for the masks they might need....nice job to you Terry
    "Go low if you wanna make a show"
    P-40 Brotherhood #49
    Jimmy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks my friend. I've enjoyed making the changes; it gives me something to do while the weather worsens. I'm still considering our conversation. Maybe making this version would be challenging..Either way, my next will be it. It'll go a lot faster now that I've done the dirty work once.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Db86004.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	1838434   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fa85952.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	1838435  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dasintex

ORIGINAL: okie52

Pardon my ignorance but what is CDI?
    CDI: Capacitor Discharge Ignition, gives the Spark Plug the Spark!
    Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mr. Pettit I see if you look over your first picture of your pilot you see that the front of the fuse the covering is mesed up and so are the vents. I was going to ask tower about that, mine is the same way

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Geese, another good reason why I would never be a hobby shop dealer.
    It's called get your iron out and your little touch-up paint brush man.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, once I get to working on the fuselage, out comes the covering iron and some touch-up paint (AKA "weathering") and it should look OK.

Right now I'm installing aileron and flap servos, making up linkages and preparing to join the wing panels. Retracts are already installed.

This weekend, weather permitting, the DLE 55 will be run on my test stand to put some time on it, set carb needles and see how it runs in general.

The electric tail wheel retract unit WILLNOTFITwithout major surgery on the rear of the fuselage. I just received the manual teil gear retract and that one jiust about fits. It'll be actuated by a separate servo mixed with the retract channel, and adjusted to only retract with the wheel half way pulled up.
    Dick Pettit
    WACO Brotherhood #168
    Balsa USA Brotherhood #41

If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops, please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: pettit

The electric tail wheel retract unit WILLΒ*NOTΒ*FITΒ*without major surgery on the rear of the fuselage.Β* I just received the manual teil gear retract and that one jiust about fits.Β* It'll be actuated by a separate servo mixed with the retract channel, and adjusted to only retract with the wheel half way pulled up.
    The electric tail wheel I cited is the exact same mechanism as the mechanical TW. The only difference is the small jackscrew that is mounted on the forward surface of the TW mount bracket. The jackscrew would occupy the same area as the pushrod that would go forward to the servo mounted in the wing saddle.

Are we speaking of the same part#? I looked in the TF FW 190 GS manual & the opening for the pushrod looks ample to clear the jackscrew. Unless there is not room to swing the assembly into place, I fail to see why "major surgury" would be required.
    What makes this option attractive to me is the sequencing of the TW retract from the main retract electronic control board. The scale-like speed of the jackscrew retract action is also a big plus.

Worst case scenerio is to remove the jackscrew & mount it forward where the servo would be located. the same pushrod that would connect the servo/TW could be used as a mechanical connection between the jackscrew/TW.

Once the cost of the additional servo is subtracted from the set-up, the added cost of the jackscrew/TW assembly would be down to less than $50. Having the sequencing VIA the electronic control board as well as the more scale like retract speed would be worth it to me.
    Adding some sort of speed control to the servo set-up would further reduce the cost difference.

I talked to Robart, & the control board can not be used to control a servo.

SIG BH #41

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

SrTelemaster: There isn't room to get the jackscrew motor into the fuselage due to it's length. Maybe relocating it forward might work.

Even installing the mechanical tailwheel unit requires "some hammering" according the the review in this month's Model Aviation review article.
    Dick Pettit
    WACO Brotherhood #168

If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops, please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

SrTelemaster:Β* There isn't room to get the jackscrew motor into the fuselage due to it's length.Β* Maybe relocating it forward might work.Β*

Even installing the mechanical tailwheel unit requires ''some hammering'' according the the review in this month's Model Aviation review article.
    OK, looks like relocating the jackscrew is the only option. I don't see any big engineering problems W/that. A small piece of sheet aluminum screwed to same hardwood crossmembers should do the trick. It will take about 2 1/2 oz off the tail anyway (compared to having the jackscrew mounted directly to the TW) even though some of that will be offset by the cable/clevis. It will have about the same weight distribution OA as the servo set-up.

If one goes the servo route, what can be done to control the speed of the retraction & what would be the cost? Sequencing would be nice, but speed control is a very important feature.

If I can get the electric retract system for say $50 more than a mech retract/servo/speed control set-up I would probably opt for the added bonus of utilizing the control board to actuate the TW & having the slow retract speed & sequencing.
    SIG BH #41

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Some high $$$ transmitters have a "slow down" feature and McDaniel R/C makes something called a "Go-Slow" that slows down a servo
    Dick Pettit
    WACO Brotherhood #168

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Some high $$$ transmitters have a ''slow down'' feature and McDaniel R/C makes something called a ''Go-Slow'' that slows down a servo
    Well, the high $$$$ transmitter is out of the question as I am using a Hitec Optima-6 TX. Besides, that would probably conflict W/the electric jackscrew mains/servo TW set-up.

The "Go Slow" is $39.95.

By the time I purchase the mechanical TW, a servo & the Go Slow, I'll have almost as much in as the jackscrew actuated TW.

Looks like remote location of the jackscrew in the wing saddle is the best option for me.
    SIG BH #41

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Who makes the gell white glue and what are the advantages
    Semper Fi