Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 44 of 135 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 3362

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: TF FW190 GIANT ARF

Can anyone give me the propeller diameter of the full scale FW 190A?
    Club Saito #785 - FA91S, FA150, FA180, FA180HC/BBC, FA200TI, FA300TTDP: All with CH Ignitions CDI/Glow fuel
    SIG BH #41
    - 1/3 Spacewalker, Rascal 110
    CUB BH #231 - Wings Maker 1/5 J-3 Cub

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Google is your friend.
    http://www.sturmvogel.orbat.com/breed.html
    From that page,
    Fw 190A
    General Characteristics:
    A superb airplane, every inch a fighter. It could do a half roll at cruising speed in one second. Taking this in conjunction with the airplane's high top speed and rate of climb one expected its pilots to exploit its high speed qualities to the fullest without staying in there to "mix it up" in a low speed, flaps down full throttle, gut-wrenching dog fight.
    They did. The 190 pilots had a good airplane and some good advice. Nearly all of my encounters with the 190 were at high speeds. On at least two occasions when I met them, my Mustang started porposing, which means I was into compressibility, probably around 550 mph. I don't know what my air speed indicator was reading, I wasn't watching it.
    On another occasion, I jumped one directly over the city of Paris and fired all my ammo, but he was only smoking heavily after a long chase over the town. Assuming I was getting 10 percent hits, that airplane must have had 200 holes in it. It was a rugged machine.
    Mean weight 8580
    Engine BMW 801D
    Horsepower 1600
    Power loading, lbs./HP 5.36
    Wing loading, lbs./sq.ft. 41.7
    Prop diameter, ft. 10.86
    Wing Geometry:
    Area, sq.ft. 205
    Span, ft. 34.5
    Mean chord, ft. 5.95
    Aspect Ratio 5.8
    Dihedral, degrees 5
    Sweepback, degrees 5.5
    Root chord, ft. 7.45
    Tip chord, ft. 4.05
    Thickness Ratio, percent 12
    Maximum thickness location Between 25 and 30 percent
    Top speed, mph 408/20,600 ft.
    Engine and Propeller:
    The BMW 801D was a 14 cylinder, twin-row radial with direct fuel injection. A 10.9 foot diameter, 3-bladed VDM prop was used and was provided with hand lever or automatic pitch control. The 801D radial air-cooled engine first appeared on the Dornier Do 217 and the Fw 190. Its most novel feature was the oil cooler system which was a number of finned tubes shaped into a ring of tubes a little larger in diameter than the cooling fan. This ring was fitted into the rounded front portion of the cowling just aft of the fan.
    I don't think this was a good idea. For example, my principal aiming point was always the forward portion of an enemy ship; the engine, cockpit, wing root section. If you get any hits at all, even only a few, you're bound to put one or two slugs into the engine compartment. Having a couple of bullets riccochet off the engine block and tear up some ignition harness is not too bad at all, at least not fatal. But to have all those thin-walled oil cooling tubes ahead of the engine is bad news. Any hits or riccochets in the engine section are bound to puncture the oil tubes. Then the whole engine is immersed in oil spray, and sometimes it would flash over into a fire. All of the 12 Focke-Wulfs that I shot down sent off a trail of dense, boiling oil smoke heavy enough to fog up my gun camera lens and windshield if I were so close.
    Wings and Controls:
    Again, as in the case of the Me 109, no trim tabs adjustable in flight from the cockpit were provided for the aileron and rudder. European designers seem to have acquired the notion that this was a nuisance or unnecessary. Not at all; when going into a dive, it's very easy for the pilot to reach down with his left hand and flick in a couple of half turns of rudder trim. It's not only desireable, but necessary to eliminate side slip for good gunnery. The Fw 190, however, did have electric trim tabs for the elevators.
    Performance Evaluation:
    The Fw 190's handling qualities were generally excellent. The most impressive feature was the aileron control at high speeds. Stick force per "g" was about 9 pounds upto 300 mph rising to 12 pounds at 400 mph as compared to over 20 pounds for the Me-109.
    High speed stalls under "g" load were a little vicious and could be a fatal handicap in combat. If the airplane was pulled in tight and stalled at high speed at 2 "gs" or more with the power on, turning right or left, the left wing would drop violently without warning and the airplane would flick onto its back from a left turn. I scored against a 190 under such circumstances. The message was clear, don't stall it. Our own Bell P-39 Aircobra would do the same thing.
    Fighting Qualities:
    Excellent high speed, with exceptional maneuverability at those speeds. Range and endurance were markedly improved over the 109. The Focke-Wulf would go 3 hours plus. Visibility with the full view canopy was superb, as it was in the Mustang.
    Summary:
    Bad points:
    (1) Oil cooling tubes at the front of the engines was a poor choice of location. A puncture due to combat damage, or to simple failure covered the engine section with an oil spray.
    (2) Lack of aileron and rudder trim controls in the cockpit.
    (3) Vicious high speed snap rolls if stalled under significant "g" load.
    (4) Poor turning radius due to high wing loading.
    Good points:
    Everything else was good. In the hands of a competent pilot the 190 was a formidable opponent. The landing approach speed was high and this shakes some pilots up a bit, but I don't think it's anything to complain about.
    It\'\'s called \"Warbird Racing\".
    So ask yourself, is that a warbird?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you for a very interesting read!
    AMA #77967/CD/LM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Tommy_Gun

Google is your friend.
    http://www.sturmvogel.orbat.com/breed.html
    From that page,
    Fw 190A
    I've Googled FW 190 countless times but never came up with that page.

Thank you very much, that shall go into my favorites.

Given 10.86' = 130.32/5 = 26.064", a 26" prop would be "scale".
    Club Saito #785 - FA91S, FA150, FA180, FA180HC/BBC, FA200TI, FA300TTDP: All with CH Ignitions CDI/Glow fuel
    SIG BH #41

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tfarmers the guns look great! When does the plastic film come off....hehehe
    "Go low if you wanna make a show"
    P-40 Brotherhood #49
    Jimmy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Lifer

Thank you for a very interesting read!
    You are welcome.
    Been a FW 190 guy for a long time now.
    lf you like interesting aviation oriented reading, google "Frank Walker,P47, Pratt and Whitney, water injection" Look for a pdf file with a P47 on the first page. Lots of interesting reading.
    P.S. l was able to attach the above mentioned pdf file.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    It\'\'s called \"Warbird Racing\".
    So ask yourself, is that a warbird?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you again!
    AMA #77967/CD/LM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I build and detail to satisfy myself. I rarely succeed but that is another story. IMHO detailing is about looking closely at the model not from 20 ft. If you don't care don't detail. I fly everything I build and I suffer lots of hangar rash so some items just don't make it to the plane. Scaling down makes logical sense but doesn't give the impression of real, just like scaled speeds may not work but neither does pedal to the metal, IMPRESSION of real seems to be what works best, idea from Dave Platt. Adding to much is worse than none at all. In the end just try to be happy with your effort and flying.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What are you guys doing to the TF FW190.. I'd sure be interested in seeing your details. My fuse is finally ready for paint but the wing is still waiting for the rivits that were just ordered. I also have some other details in route. Weather permitting, I'll have paint on this over the next week or so.
    "IF" I'd stop staring at them, I'd get more done to them.
    Platt FW190, Holman FW190, Meister FW190, SIST FW190, TF FW190.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've been flying for years, but this is my first scale war bird. I plan on taking it to "War Birds over Delaware" and I want to be proud of my FW190. I ordered Gunther from Bestpilots.com. This should be a good start. So, my questions is: What is the best way to keep Gunther in his seat? And does anyone have pictures of finished cockpit.
    Joe
    CA YAK 55 / ZDZ100
    AW PITTS PYTHON / DA50
    AW YAK 54 / Saito 180
    TF FW 190 / DLA50

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Seat belts! LOL
    Greg Norman said, \"Happiness is a long walk with a putter.\" Obviously he never flew a P-51 Mustang.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Ramstein44

What are you guys doing to the TF FW190.. I'd sure be interested in seeing your details. My fuse is finally ready for paint but the wing is still waiting for the rivits that were just ordered. I also have some other details in route. Weather permitting, I'll have paint on this over the next week or so.
    Mine is due in @ the LHS on Thursday. (along W/the electric TW retract)

I'm not planning on panel lines & rivets, I will keep the film coveri g until circumstances dictate otherwise. I do want a full cockpit W/some detail & I think I'll probably go for Gunter too. I have seen him many many times on the History & the Military channel. I can hear his voice right now.

I plan to have all electric (Robart) retracts (even the TW) sequenced as close as possible to the original via the Robart control module & hopefully the retraction speed can be regulated to a scale like speed.

Probably set up a pull-pull on the rudder & I do have some of the light gray Robart control horns. I want to do my cowl similar to yours. It will be a neccessity to get the cowl over a Saito FA450R3.

For power, I'm still trying to decide on whether to use the Saito or the ASP FS400R5. I am leaning towards the ASP, but only IF C&H can design a single module CDI system like they have for the 3 cylinder Saito radials. On thing for certain, it will be 4-stroke radial & it will have CDI. I can't stand dealing W/the volitility of glow ignition & the 20% better fuel economy & slight increase in power of CDI makes life even more pleasant. (even better fuel economy if I mix straight methanol 10:1 W/oil.)

I saw where 1 guy used the cowl guns for his on/off switches. I might opt to do that. Since I'm going to be cutting the cowl to do the same treatment as you, I'm kinda looking for a different cowl paint scheme that will be compatible W/the rest of the Top Flite fuselage film `color scheme.

Not planning on paint until perhaps some repair work makes it justifiable.

I'll be posting as soon as I get my bird. 1st project will be making modification to allow the elctric TW retract to work in the cramped tail section. I mght start my own build log thread.
    SIG BH #41

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is my cockpit. I wanted that awesome painted pilot from Bestpilots but it'll have to wait for the TA152 build.

I couldn't upload before but here it is. Still more detailing left.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Db86411.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	1845322  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mine are loading just fine.

SIG BH #41

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I seen somewhere on site, a forum being started on the 1/4 SIst.
    Here is the 1/4 Sist thread I started; please fill free to add to this thread because it is going to be a while before I get started on the FW190s I have. Still trying to get Build room and Machine Shop room setup after a move to MD from VA. Also, looking forward to BobH and Carl Becker coming over some day soon... I do plan to bring one of the 1/4 Sist to Warbirds over Delaware and work on it while there.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SrTelemaster150

Mine are loading just fine.

Mine are now.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: wxman2

*I seen somewhere on site, a forum being started on the 1/4 SIst.
    Here is the 1/4 Sist thread I started; please fill free to add to this thread because it is going to be a while before I get started on the FW190s I have. Still trying to get Build room and Machine Shop room setup after a move to MD from VA. Also, looking forward to BobH and Carl Becker coming over some day soon... I do plan to bring one of the 1/4 Sist to Warbirds over Delaware and work on it while there.

I'm working on getting one of those now. I told the wife that it would be the last FW190 I built... Sooo, I have to get all the others before it gets here and act like I always had them..lol[8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm working on getting one of those now. I told the wife that it would be the last FW190 I built... Sooo, I have to get all the others before it gets here and act like I always had them..lol[8D]
    When my wife asks "how many planes do you have"; I just say too many already I am sure...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My TF FW 190 are on the way now. It will be Robart electrics and Saito 450 gas modified by www.ch-ignitions.com

My wife let me do more or less as I want to as long as the planes are inside my car/hobbyroom and rc-trailer....

I do have the 1/5 SisT but I really like the 1/4 size.... I just wonder if I can accept a 3. Moki 250....
    And I also got a little jet feverr so Sist 1/4 FW or F-4 Phantom is the question ;-)
    Life is too short saving all your money
    Best regards
    Alf Hansen
    Norway
    http://www.modellflynytt.no

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's some fine work yer doing Ram....you might try taking a sanding block to the tops of the rivets and see where they end up before adding more primer, they look really awesome
    "Go low if you wanna make a show"
    P-40 Brotherhood #49
    Jimmy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: affas

My TF FW 190 are on the way now. It will be Robart electrics and Saito 450 gas modified by www.ch-ignitions.com

That's my plan unless Adrian can figure out a 5 cylinder single module CDI. Then I might opt for the ASP. It all depends on finances.
    SIG BH #41

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Woke up to snow so we're on hold again.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Kinda jealous of that ice cream! lol
    \"let\'\'\'\'s just say, they will be satisfied with less\" Ming the Merciless

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice cones
    Time flies like a brick thru the window of life.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: MANFRED

Nice cones
    Party hats?
    SIG BH #41

Page 44 of 135 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast