Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF FW190 GIANT ARF

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF FW190 GIANT ARF

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 06:16 AM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The cam blocks were $17 each.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:45 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Pnuematic Version and the 2nd Block would be easy enough, but I would need to replace the Trunion with one that had dual Pins, the electric version comes with dual pin Trunion, right, not sure if the electric Trunion would work with the Pnuematic Gear, Joe talked about an improved dual pin trunion that would be used in the future in both Electric and Pnuematic as existing stock is used up, at least thats what I had intepreted that he said.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:51 AM
Tony Gag Jr.

After my conversation with Eric yesterday I would not put too much faith in anything that Joe has to say on here. Not sure what his deal is, that is why I called Robart.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:57 AM
BJ64

Originally Posted by dasintex
Or at least offer an upgrade at a reasonable price!
...read the book - ain't gonna happen...

BJ
Old 10-12-2013, 07:05 AM
dasintex

I am willing to upgrade my Pnuematics like the way the Electric ones were done as shown earlier on this thread; and it seems easy enough to do, but one question is if the Electric Trunions with the Dual Pins will work with the Pnuematic Cylinder Ram, I'm willing to get the parts on my own and not wait for Robart to upgrade, but I won't if the Electric Gear Trunion won't work on the Pnuematic Cylinder Ram, the mounting hole may be the Same Diameter which would be a bonus, Smaller just drill it bigger, Larger would be a problem; if Robart would respond here and let me know or reply to my Email asking the same; I may just call to find out for sure before I commit to buying the parts.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:35 AM
Tony Gag Jr.

Don't wait for them to email you back, it might be a while. Call them, it is much easier and faster.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:01 AM
AV8ATOR
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know Darrell at Sierra gear has said in the past that he would not make a set. But maybe if their is enough of us to commit on a preset number he may do it. By what i am seeing your spending $440 for a set of Robarts plus an other $40 for an upgrade now your up to $480 an work has to be done. Sierra will be in the ball park of $550 and they will drop right in not to mention all the other bennefits ie. scale looking, much stronger and they will work properly. [h=5][/h]
Old 10-12-2013, 10:32 AM
kochj

http://www.sierragiant.com/prod10.html

This gear looks to be larger than what would work on the TF fw ??
Old 10-12-2013, 12:24 PM
AV8ATOR

Originally Posted by kochj

The 1/5 will fit but you have to modify TF fw wing.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:35 PM
Ramstein44
My Feedback: (157)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AV8ATOR
I know Darrell at Sierra gear has said in the past that he would not make a set. But maybe if their is enough of us to commit on a preset number he may do it. By what i am seeing your spending $440 for a set of Robarts plus an other $40 for an upgrade now your up to $480 an work has to be done. Sierra will be in the ball park of $550 and they will drop right in not to mention all the other bennefits ie. scale looking, much stronger and they will work properly.
Good luck with that..... I've been down that road with others on Sierra several times to no avail. Normally once he sees that his existing product can be retrofitted; you can forget about any custom items.. But maybe this one will be the one.. Highly doubtful but I'd love to be wrong!
Old 10-12-2013, 12:37 PM
Ramstein44
My Feedback: (157)

Originally Posted by kochj

Hmmmmm.....
Old 10-12-2013, 12:44 PM
AV8ATOR

[QUOTE=tfarmer96;11634322][QUOTE=p51fw190f4u;11631740]My fw190 maiden flight is sucessful.
saito fg 84r3 is powerful.
menz 24-10, hi rpm 5,900
low rpm 1,400

Ok man you hooked me! I ordered mine today.

tfarmer,

I am going the same route.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:57 PM
AV8ATOR

Originally Posted by Ramstein44
Good luck with that..... I've been down that road with others on Sierra several times to no avail. Normally once he sees that his existing product can be retrofitted; you can forget about any custom items.. But maybe this one will be the one.. Highly doubtful but I'd love to be wrong!
Ram,

You are probably right but I thought it be would worth a try. Would you be willing to give me a copy of your rib templates?
Old 10-12-2013, 01:24 PM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had three more flights on mine today. So it is 6 flights now. I must say this plane flies very well.

The Robarts held up too, they seem all right to me so far.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:06 PM
Tommy_Gun

Originally Posted by kwik
I had three more flights on mine today. So it is 6 flights now. I must say this plane flies very well.

The Robarts held up too, they seem all right to me so far.
Trust me Kwik,
If you fly off grass you're less likely to experience the end of roll out tail swing that bends the pins on the trunions.
I have only had this happen when I use the smooth asphalt runway at our field or any other. And yes I know how to use the rudder.
I have almost 100 flights on my Wurger now and just love it's presence in the air.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:18 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

My friend Steve brought his FW out to fly today and his electric retracts didn't work. He double checked the batteries and tried to cycle the gear but it only worked half way. He has maybe 6 flights on this new plane and equipment.

My question is how common is this problem with gear?

He has called Robart/Tower and they have been less than helpful.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:13 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

1)Joe and Robart ? your saying that Robart is saying not to take Joes word on anything ? Interesting considering Joe is the only one responding in another thread as a credible inside tech person for Robart .
2)Failure is not common in the world of electric retracts being used in the 90 and under size models by many on this site and others but it is common with the component parts being supplied by a after market supplier to Robart and ESM . The linear drive shaft being supplied to Robart is crude in the fact that it does not have a build in stop start , it has to rely on an external control . In essence if you did not have the external control it would simply spin on one direction endless while under power . So the start /stop process is crude as best and will wear faster and easier then a true linear servo drive shaft like those provided by Firgelli .
I have tried to put the two companies together but only time and interest will tell , but i know that for RC a liner servo that has its own board build in is 100% proven is cheaper smaller formats and the style that Robart is using is outdated . Very similar idea from ESM but now on the latest 3.5 version they have eliminated the external board but they have other issues with there gear .
Old 10-13-2013, 04:36 AM
d.s.a.

I know that this is not the right site but i was wondern we could back to the TF Giant scale spitfire build
Old 10-13-2013, 05:38 AM
kwik

Originally Posted by Tommy_Gun
Trust me Kwik,
If you fly off grass you're less likely to experience the end of roll out tail swing that bends the pins on the trunions.
I have only had this happen when I use the smooth asphalt runway at our field or any other. And yes I know how to use the rudder.
I have almost 100 flights on my Wurger now and just love it's presence in the air.
100 flights, thats great !
On asphalt ?? I don't think asphalt will be in the future for me.
You need to mount a drag-shute then !

I also found a perfect way of hand-starting the FG-57. It works every time ;

I choke it on 100% throttle. Ignition is off. When petrol comes out of the trompet, I stop.

Ignition on, a bit over idle throttle, and a couple of flips, and it starts. Every time. Lovely.

Last edited by kwik; 10-13-2013 at 05:42 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:44 AM
roy batty

100 flights, thats great !
On asphalt ?? I don't think asphalt will be in the future for me.
You need to mount a drag-shute then !

I also found a perfect way of hand-starting the FG-57. It works every time ;

I choke it on 100% throttle. Ignition is off. When petrol comes out of the trompet, I stop.

Ignition on, a bit over idle throttle, and a couple of flips, and it starts. Every time. Lovely.
Sounds like you've perfected the startup. Except for the mention of restraining the plane for safety
Old 10-14-2013, 03:23 AM
kwik

Originally Posted by roy batty
Sounds like you've perfected the startup. Except for the mention of restraining the plane for safety
Not sure I understood the humour, but......anyway;

Even though my Robart gear has worked very well for me, I ordered a trunion meant for the electric option.

I have the pneumatic option, and I like it. Kept the air for a week now; I could cycle the gear after one week in storage.

It has endured one quick turn at the end of the roll out; The plane's wing touch the ground because the turn was too abrubt.

But the gear held.

Here are pictures of what I got in the mail today;

And parts list;

FW302A ( qty: 1 )
FW303A ( qty: 1)
FW107A ( qty: 2)
1071F ( qty: 12)
145E020M ( qty: 2)
1212F ( qty: 4)

I bet if you send a mail to [email protected], and order this list, he will send it to you. I paid using paypal.

But remember;
This is not an upgrade kit; It is standard parts, meant for the electric option. There never was an "upgrade kit",it seems, according to Joe;
What happened was that the first electric kits where made of inferiour alloy (by mistake), and bendt easily.
Now, hopefully my set is made of the "proper" alloy, making it strong enough.

Last edited by kwik; 10-14-2013 at 03:34 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:09 AM
Tommy_Gun

Hi Kwik,
If that is all you received from robart, then you are missing two items.
They are a pivoting nut that fits between the slider blocks that run on the two pins.
This nut is a 10/32 thread that accepts the jack screw from the electric motor.
To use these parts with the air actutuato is going to take some engineering in this area.
Good luck
Not sure I understood the humour, but......anyway;

Even though my Robart gear has worked very well for me, I ordered a trunion meant for the electric option.

I have the pneumatic option, and I like it. Kept the air for a week now; I could cycle the gear after one week in storage.

It has endured one quick turn at the end of the roll out; The plane's wing touch the ground because the turn was too abrubt.

But the gear held.

Here are pictures of what I got in the mail today;

And parts list;

FW302A ( qty: 1 )
FW303A ( qty: 1)
FW107A ( qty: 2)
1071F ( qty: 12)
145E020M ( qty: 2)
1212F ( qty: 4)

I bet if you send a mail to [email protected], and order this list, he will send it to you. I paid using paypal.

But remember;
This is not an upgrade kit; It is standard parts, meant for the electric option. There never was an "upgrade kit",it seems, according to Joe;
What happened was that the first electric kits where made of inferiour alloy (by mistake), and bendt easily.
Now, hopefully my set is made of the "proper" alloy, making it strong enough.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:16 AM
dasintex

Kwik/Tommy-Gun;

Kwik's gear is Pnuematic, no jack screw, but my question is, considering those Trunions with the Dual pins are made for the Electric Gear, how does the Pnuematic Cylinder Ram get bolted/attached between those 2 Sliding Cams which ride on those pins?

Another quick question Kwik (love the pun), are you still going ahead with the upgrade, change despite that your Gear seems to be holding up?

Last edited by dasintex; 10-14-2013 at 04:21 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:28 AM
kwik

Originally Posted by dasintex
Kwik/Tommy-Gun;
Another quick question Kwik (love the pun), are you still going ahead with the upgrade, change despite that your Gear seems to be holding up?
A quick answer is;

I will not touch the gear for now, but keep the parts for a rainy day.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:05 AM
BJ64

...and I'll sit on the fence waiting for someone to give the nod to something that will drop straight it yet be strong enough to be up to the task.

I hate this - spent a fortune getting my hands on one of these, yet I'm not confident at all on putting any of the landing gear in it that has been discussed to date.

By the sounds of everything I've read so far in this thread, the Sierras are strong (and more 'scale') but require a fair bit of wing-mod to get them in... the Robart's slot straight in, but aren't strong enough to withstand a slightly duffed landing.

Plus we're now reading reports of who genuinely is a Robart poster and who isn't.

I guess mine will just have to sit there a while longer until I can get some reliable & easy-to-fit LG.

Or... try to build something from scratch to do the job. But there's no plans out there...and I really don't want to spend a year trying to reverse-engineer a set of bloody wheels...

This kind of thing should have been sorted a long time ago by TF and those supplying the landing gear IMHO. Bit of a joke, really...

BJ

Last edited by BJ64; 10-14-2013 at 07:21 AM. Reason: sub-standard high-school grammar + Sp.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.