Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF FW190 GIANT ARF

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF FW190 GIANT ARF

Old 03-02-2014, 11:37 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just starting my build and I laid out some of the parts. In the Hardware Bag I found a small packet containing several clear plastic rectangular pieces measuring 3/8" W X 1-1/16" L and with these a small spring, any idea what these are for?
Old 03-02-2014, 07:19 PM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dasintex
I'm just starting my build and I laid out some of the parts. In the Hardware Bag I found a small packet containing several clear plastic rectangular pieces measuring 3/8" W X 1-1/16" L and with these a small spring, any idea what these are for?

The small spring is for the robart tailwheel retract. I never figured out what the clear pieces were for
Old 03-03-2014, 12:41 AM
jhudak

Originally Posted by Mpizpilot
The small spring is for the robart tailwheel retract. I never figured out what the clear pieces were for
The clear pieces are shims for the landing gear doors if you need them.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:24 AM
dasintex

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2014, 10:12 AM
dasintex

Another question, I have read previously in this thread that the Gear doors are a problem because they are not split doors and when the Gear Oleos compress, the bottom edge of the gear doors collide with the landing surface, damaging them and tearing them off; I see that others have made workable Split doors allowing for the movement of the lower portion separate of the upper portion; considering this Plane is a Sport Scale is it not possible to remove about 1/4" from the bottom of the Gear doors and be sufficient to avoid contact with the landing surface when the Gear fully compresses?
Old 03-03-2014, 11:05 AM
Ramstein44
My Feedback: (157)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anything is possible but there are also versions that only used the upper portion of the gear doors so you can remove the lower part and still have the scale look.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.png
Views:	391
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	1974478  

Last edited by Ramstein44; 03-03-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:01 PM
sparky4lawndart

I just got back from Mesa, AZ where I attended and won 3rd place with my GS TF FW190 in the Gunsmoke US Scale Masters Qualifier this weekend. it was a great weekend.. "Heimlich" did great except I'm still struggling with the roll outs (ground loops and wingtips). Thanks to all the folks at 1/8 airforce for having such a great event!

Anyone know of a 5 inch rubber wheel/tire replacement that isn't foam but is still only 3/4 inch wide that still looks the part?
Old 03-03-2014, 01:25 PM
dasintex

Originally Posted by sparky4lawndart
I just got back from Mesa, AZ where I attended and won 3rd place with my GS TF FW190 in the Gunsmoke US Scale Masters Qualifier this weekend. it was a great weekend.. "Heimlich" did great except I'm still struggling with the roll outs (ground loops and wingtips). Thanks to all the folks at 1/8 airforce for having such a great event!

Anyone know of a 5 inch rubber wheel/tire replacement that isn't foam but is still only 3/4 inch wide that still looks the part?
Williams Brothers RC http://www.williamsbrothersmodelproducts.com/rc.html has some Tires/Wheels that fit; 5.25" dia and 1" wide; I believe Model #12200; I have a pair, still building my FW190, I can tell you the Wheel fits in the well with plenty of Space, I think others use this same wheel, Ramstein44?

As far as the ground Loops, try a Gyro on the Rudder/Tail Wheel; I use one on all my Tail Dragging Warbirds, works great; turn on when taking off, turn off once in the air.

Last edited by dasintex; 03-03-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:43 PM
dwaynenancy
My Feedback: (62)

Could you tell us the setup used on your gyros?
Old 03-03-2014, 04:20 PM
Mpizpilot

Winding down on the main assembly part. Put a electric starter on my EME 55, one of the coolest things I've tried in awhile. Can't wait to try it out. This is my last project for the winter, so I'm probably going to go overboard with the weathering.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	1974569   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	933.7 KB
ID:	1974570  
Old 03-03-2014, 05:45 PM
dasintex

Originally Posted by Mpizpilot
Winding down on the main assembly part. Put a electric starter on my EME 55, one of the coolest things I've tried in awhile. Can't wait to try it out. This is my last project for the winter, so I'm probably going to go overboard with the weathering.
I've got one of those Starters going on a DLE55 in my FW 190, what Battery you going with to run the Starter?
Old 03-03-2014, 05:57 PM
dasintex

Originally Posted by dwaynenancy
Could you tell us the setup used on your gyros?
There are huge Threads here on RCU on Airplane Gyros, Gyros for Airplane Rudder use, etc; basically you run a Gyro plugged into the Rudder Channel on the RX and the Rudder Servo plugs into the Gyro; a second lead is plugged into another channel assigned for Gyro Gain control or turning the Gyro on or off; depending on the Radio and its programming and the Gyro Brand, you taxi your plane out to the runway, center the plane on the center line making sure the plane is lined up straight and aiming straight down the runway, turn the Gyro on and apply throttle control and do not give any rudder input, the plane tracks straight as an arrow, lift the plane into the air and once airbourne turn the Gyro off.

As I said depending on the set up, you normally need to follow a certain routine to initiate the Gyro zeroing or orientation prior to taxing the plane out to the centerline of the runway, once the gyro is zeroed it detects when the plane is straying away from being zeroed and puts in rudder input to correct it.

Fortunately both JR and Futaba currently sell Gyros designed for Airplane use, the instructions are very clear as to set up. Some Radios have a section in their manuals outlining Gyro set up as well.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:24 PM
sparky4lawndart

Plus 1 to what dasintex said... I have my JR 370 plugged into the rudder and tail wheel servos via a y-cable and the gain lead into channel 10 as an Aux4 channel. I assigned the Aux4 channel to a three position switch near the gear switch (settings should be off, 1/2, and full deflection)

set the gain on the gyro so it wont go too far on rudder and tail wheel deflection (test by swinging the tail while the plane is level, on the mains with the tail up). when I line up on the center line I put the gyro on full deflection, throttle up and watch a centerline take off... very nice... after it's up I flip the switch to off and forget the gyro until I'm ready to land... when I'm on the landing final and have my heading, I put the gyro on full for a clean track down the centerline... I have a toe-in/wheel issue that ground loops the plane just as she's rolling to a stop (which I think I can fix with new wheels).

for the EME starter, I use a 3S 2200MAh 30C pack from HobbyPeople ($15). It lasts weeks and I can get dozens of starts on one charge.

Name:	fwgyro.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	1974655  
Old 03-03-2014, 06:44 PM
sparky4lawndart

I've got one of those Starters going on a DLE55 in my FW 190, what Battery you going with to run the Starter?
3S 2200MAh 30c is plenty...
Old 03-03-2014, 07:29 PM
dasintex

Sparky(Frank);

Do you have a lot of good results turning your Gyro on for Landing, I don't use mine for Landing because I could never get the Plane perfectly lined up with the center line on approach, the Gyro would fly in straight but never where I wanted it to go because I turned it on when the Plane was not exactly lined up with the center line and I would have to manual use rudder and the Gyro would counter it, etc and it was a mess most of time, so I only use mine on take offs, besides, landings are not the issue it's all those wild take offs without the help of a Gyro!
Old 03-03-2014, 07:42 PM
sparky4lawndart

Sparky(Frank);

Do you have a lot of good results turning your Gyro on for Landing, I don't use mine for Landing because I could never get the Plane perfectly lined up with the center line on approach, the Gyro would fly in straight but never where I wanted it to go because I turned it on when the Plane was not exactly lined up with the center line and I would have to manual use rudder and the Gyro would counter it, etc and it was a mess most of time, so I only use mine on take offs, besides, landings are not the issue it's all those wild take offs without the help of a Gyro!
Hellooooo Canada!!!

Dasintex... I have a horizon marker that I find for each field I fly at (a bush or distant tree.. some sort of landmark) to use for my line up... It's the first thing I look for at a new field and I sub-consciously do so at my regular flightline. Call for "pilot on the runway" stand on the center line and find something that you can fly over or between when you're setting up for your final... works like a charm...

Just don't go too fast with the gyro on... anything past half throttle and my tail starts to do the "shimmy"... lol
Old 03-03-2014, 07:53 PM
dasintex

You must have better luck than me, at our field there is a marker at the far end of the property that marks centerline, I get the plane right over that marker but I can never get the plane lined up right to use the gyro, not a problem, landings not the issue as you know!
Old 03-04-2014, 07:20 AM
motor12

Sparky, when you say 1/2 and full deflection on the gyro are you using 50% gain and 100% gain , thanks
Old 03-04-2014, 07:21 AM
sparky4lawndart

Originally Posted by motor12
Sparky, when you say 1/2 and full deflection on the gyro are you using 50% gain and 100% gain , thanks
Yes... that's what I should have said..
Old 03-04-2014, 07:37 AM
motor12

Thanks sparky..
Old 03-04-2014, 09:00 AM
Hot Rod Todd
My Feedback: (1)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

You guys are confusing me a bit with your Gyro talk. I use a gyro on the tail of my Zirolli P-40, and even on the nose wheel steering for one of my jets. Never had to "line up" with the runway. It almost sounds like you're using some sort of heading lock mode, something you never do with an aircraft steering gyro. The only thing it should do is help to stabilize and keep the plane on track, you still retain full steering control and can always alter the course.

Check your mode, you should never use heading lock. The Futaba GYA431 is a nice little unit that's built for aircraft (not helo's).
Old 03-04-2014, 09:14 AM
dasintex

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Todd
You guys are confusing me a bit with your Gyro talk. I use a gyro on the tail of my Zirolli P-40, and even on the nose wheel steering for one of my jets. Never had to "line up" with the runway. It almost sounds like you're using some sort of heading lock mode, something you never do with an aircraft steering gyro. The only thing it should do is help to stabilize and keep the plane on track, you still retain full steering control and can always alter the course.

Check your mode, you should never use heading lock. The Futaba GYA431 is a nice little unit that's built for aircraft (not helo's).
I also use the GYA431 and its predecessor the GYA350 which was also a Airplane specific Gyro; What Mode do you use AVCS or Normal Mode? Do you leave it on for the entire Flight? When do you turn your gyro On? Would Heading Hold be the AVCS Mode?

I have heard that using AVCS Mode is not recommended for Airplanes, would that be the case if you used the Gyro for the entire flight; I turn my Gyro off once in the Air and I have been using AVCS Mode for some time and it only works properely if the airplane is lined up straight on the Centerline then you turn on the Gyro and it will track exactly the line you have it positioned and you don't touch the Rudder.

Maybe I have been doing it wrong all these years, although it has been working unless I don't have the plane lined up with the centerline. I guess i don't know the difference between the AVCS and Normal Modes, it just seemed that the AVCS Mode worked better.

It would be nicer if I could just turn on the Gyro before taxing out, line it as center as possible and not worry about being exactly straight and take off and have the Gyro help keep it straight so I can just concentrate on throttle and elevator control.

Sent you a PM.

Last edited by dasintex; 03-04-2014 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:34 AM
Hot Rod Todd
My Feedback: (1)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

AVCS mode "forcefully maintains" the attitude of the plane. It means you are giving up the ability to trim or steer the aircraft. As mentioned in the manual you should not use it for take off or landing. It's more for keeping a trainer level or maintaining knife edge, not for helping with ground handling. Use the Normal mode. You'll still retain steering control but the gyro will help to keep the plane running straight. It will not do it all for you, but makes it a bit more controllable.

The affect from the Normal mode is not that severe during flight, so you can even leave it on. It sometimes helps make the plane feel a bit more stable in the air.

As with any tail dragger warbird, you'll still have to manage the throttle, elevator, and rudder. The gyro makes it a bit easier since it does some of the very minor corrections for you.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:01 PM
Mpizpilot

Def do not use avcs on your gyro. I've got one on my spitfire And make the same mistake once. Wherever you point the nose in avcs, it will stay there.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:58 PM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for clearing that up with the use of the gyro. I have never used one but it did not make sense to me why you would have to wait until you were lined up with the centerline to turn the gyro on. I think mixing it with the landing gear is a good option. On with the gear down and off with the gear up. I did not understand the need to turn it on once you were lined up with the centerline. Isn't a gyro just meant to add stability and not lock the plane on a certain heading?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.