Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF FW190 GIANT ARF

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF FW190 GIANT ARF

Old 04-10-2014, 08:48 PM
sparky4lawndart
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all... I took the recommendation and bought the Williams Brothers wheels for my Heimlick and she looks great! thanks a bunch... I'll post picks as soon as I can!
Old 04-11-2014, 02:36 PM
masteromodels
My Feedback: (11)

Originally Posted by BJ64
I meant more along the lines of any marked performance difference between a DLE 55 and DLE 55RA.

BJ
You need a Venturi extension with the DLE-55R The muffler is so close to the carb, it will suck the hot air from the muffler and seize up after a few minutes. I had that problem with the ESM-Spitfire and went crazy trying to figure it out until someone E-mailed me about the extension. Troy Built carries them and list them on their site but did not suggest this was a fix for the problem with this engine setup. Save yourself a lot of heart ache and order one. I will not deal with ESM any more for a number of reasons .
Old 04-11-2014, 06:56 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Originally Posted by masteromodels
You need a Venturi extension with the DLE-55R The muffler is so close to the carb, it will suck the hot air from the muffler and seize up after a few minutes. I had that problem with the ESM-Spitfire and went crazy trying to figure it out until someone E-mailed me about the extension. Troy Built carries them and list them on their site but did not suggest this was a fix for the problem with this engine setup. Save yourself a lot of heart ache and order one. I will not deal with ESM any more for a number of reasons .
'Venturi Extension'; what exactly is a 'Venturi Extension' or for that matter what is, and where is the 'Venturi' on these DLE55RA ?Carbs
Old 04-11-2014, 08:07 PM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dasintex
'Venturi Extension'; what exactly is a 'Venturi Extension' or for that matter what is, and where is the 'Venturi' on these DLE55RA ?Carbs
Venuri is the channel through the carb where the air flows into the engine;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-xgVEvUxuM
Old 04-12-2014, 02:23 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Why don't I need one of these "venturi extensions" on the dozen or so engines I have equipped with a pitts-style muffler?
Old 04-12-2014, 02:59 AM
BJ64

I think mine has a 'Pitts' style muffler in it i.e. a dirty big tube vents to the bottom of the plane (pic is the right way up - and that's a large lump of banana-shaped lead at the top).

BJ
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10887.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	1986244  
Old 04-12-2014, 09:26 AM
masteromodels

The Venturi is just the opening of the carb. You take the 2 bolts off that hold the carb and bolt the extension so it extends the length of the carb. The difference between the DLE-55 and the DLE-55R is the rear exhaust is next to the carb and the carb. will suck the hot air from the muffler. It will cause your engine to overheat. If yo do not believe then don't use it and try to run your engine for awhile and you will find out the hard way. You will have to cut a hole in the fire wall for the extension. I have been flying RC for 45 Years and have done professional building for some contestants and I had a hard time trying to figure this one out. If you use the DLE-55 with the side exhaust and a rap around muffler you will not have a problem , this is just for the DLE-55R with the rear exhaust and rear carb. Trying to vent cool air to the carb or baffling the eng, or cutting out the whole bottom of the cowl will not work . You need the extension. Just trying to help.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:29 AM
masteromodels

You do not need it if you have a side mounted exhaust and a rear carb only for the rear carb and rear muffler. The hot muffler is to close to the carb and the carb will suck the hot air from the rear muffler and your engine will overheat. Either believe me or not I'm just trying to save some heart ache .
Old 04-12-2014, 09:43 AM
kwik

I will not deal with ESM any more for a number of reasons .
Well you cannot blame neither ESM nor Troy for yourself not connecting the dots.

It is a part of the warbird hobby to solve difficult problems.

That is what makes it challenging and interesting.

Some problems can be very difficult, even more so via a telephone.....

The Venturi trumpet is mostly made for better efficiency ; To suck back in any duel vapour that might be spitted out.

But in this case helps you suck in air from e.g. behind the firewall.

Building a Spitfire is the ultimate challenge in solving difficult engineering problems because there is no room.........

Last edited by kwik; 04-12-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:01 AM
masteromodels

Yes I can blame Troy built for not suggesting to buy the Extension with this Engine. They new they were having problems. They told me that and they did not know the fix. I even offered to bring the plane and Engine yo them when they were not busy and They told me NO. I asked if they could call the MFG> and ask and they said they would not. They had the fix for this problem on their web site and do not know it. When i sell something to a customer and I know their is a problem I tell them. How many modelers would know when the Distributor sells them the Kit and RECOMMEND'S THAT ENG. AND TELLS THEM NOTHING IS WRONG. Then they fix the engine and tell you it is your fault and charge and then you fine out the reed broke on the carb and got sucked into the cylinder and not tell you and you find out only because when I went to remount the engine the carb. was on backwards. and they deny they took the carb. off. What you think was interesting and challenging and interesting cost me more then a few dollars to get fixed. I guess next time I e-mail you and see if you want to pay for their mistake. The only way I knew was that the choke and throttle linkage were on the opposite sides.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:27 AM
kwik

No, please, no emails!
Old 04-19-2014, 05:45 PM
captainron

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys,
Just bought one of these from a friend. Flew it yesterday and had a ball. Wow, what a great Warbird. Solid as a rock and a piece of cake to land. It is stone stock with a Zenoah G-62. The Robart Electric retracts seem to work flawlessly, a little slow but oh well, love to watch them going up and especially coming down. NIce job Top Flite on putting a very nice ARF on the market. Now, I'd like to see what you guys have done with weathering on this Butcher Bird. It seems to have a really bad habit of spinning around and doing the little bunny hop right at the end of the roll out..........I hate that. Any corrections for that?

Captain Ron

Name:	FW 190.jpeg
Views:	335
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	1988309  

Last edited by captainron; 04-19-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:08 AM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by captainron
Hey guys,
Just bought one of these from a friend. Flew it yesterday and had a ball. Wow, what a great Warbird. Solid as a rock and a piece of cake to land. It is stone stock with a Zenoah G-62. The Robart Electric retracts seem to work flawlessly, a little slow but oh well, love to watch them going up and especially coming down. NIce job Top Flite on putting a very nice ARF on the market. Now, I'd like to see what you guys have done with weathering on this Butcher Bird. It seems to have a really bad habit of spinning around and doing the little bunny hop right at the end of the roll out..........I hate that. Any corrections for that?

Captain Ron
What voltage are you using for the retracts?

I am using A 6v auxiliary battery & mine work in a scale like way.

You can use anywhere from 4.8v to 7.4v. The higher the voltage, the quicker the retracts work.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:08 AM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The Venturi is just the opening of the carb. You take the 2 bolts off that hold the carb and bolt the extension so it extends the length of the carb. The difference between the DLE-55 and the DLE-55R is the rear exhaust is next to the carb and the carb. will suck the hot air from the muffler. It will cause your engine to overheat. If yo do not believe then don't use it and try to run your engine for awhile and you will find out the hard way. You will have to cut a hole in the fire wall for the extension. I have been flying RC for 45 Years and have done professional building for some contestants and I had a hard time trying to figure this one out. If you use the DLE-55 with the side exhaust and a rap around muffler you will not have a problem , this is just for the DLE-55R with the rear exhaust and rear carb. Trying to vent cool air to the carb or baffling the eng, or cutting out the whole bottom of the cowl will not work . You need the extension. Just trying to help.
These are called "Velocity stacks" on gas engines. That is the term you need to use when looking for this item. Bennett built sells them. They have benefits beyond solving this carb issue that you had. I now have 2 DLE 55's, and I will learn about all of this for myself now, but I am going to guess that a tight, hot install situation made your issue worse. This may not be the case with all aircraft. Some installs are hotter than others.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:13 AM
vertical grimmace

Yes I can blame Troy built for not suggesting to buy the Extension with this Engine. They new they were having problems. They told me that and they did not know the fix. I even offered to bring the plane and Engine yo them when they were not busy and They told me NO. I asked if they could call the MFG> and ask and they said they would not. They had the fix for this problem on their web site and do not know it. When i sell something to a customer and I know their is a problem I tell them. How many modelers would know when the Distributor sells them the Kit and RECOMMEND'S THAT ENG. AND TELLS THEM NOTHING IS WRONG. Then they fix the engine and tell you it is your fault and charge and then you fine out the reed broke on the carb and got sucked into the cylinder and not tell you and you find out only because when I went to remount the engine the carb. was on backwards. and they deny they took the carb. off. What you think was interesting and challenging and interesting cost me more then a few dollars to get fixed. I guess next time I e-mail you and see if you want to pay for their mistake. The only way I knew was that the choke and throttle linkage were on the opposite sides.
You may want to deal with Valley view RC from now on. They have great service and will take care of you. I buy all of my DLE engines from them. They will even service engines bought from other sources. Troy built does have a bad rep in general.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:54 AM
captainron

SrTelemaster150........thanks............My friend had them set up on a 6.6 v LiFe 2500 mah. I'm gonna try a LiPo and regulate it down to 7.4. thanks for your input.

Captain Ron,
Old 04-20-2014, 09:07 AM
vertical grimmace

Hey guys,

Captain Ron
No way!!! You have a Luftwaffe bird! Looking forward to flying with you guys this year. Good job with the FW 190!
Old 04-20-2014, 09:17 AM
captainron

LOL.........Yeah baby........I was wondering when you would get the fact that Captain Ron has Luftwaffe fighter..............One who has hated the German fighters for ever. But I gotta tell ya man, I love this Warbird. Electric Robart retracts and all. They look so scale while retracting. YUP...........I'm a fan. This is the nicest easiest big heavy Warbird I've ever landed.

Good to hear from ya Rich, Can't wait to hang out with ya this summer, Captain Ron
Old 04-20-2014, 09:47 AM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SrTelemaster150........thanks............My friend had them set up on a 6.6 v LiFe 2500 mah. I'm gonna try a LiPo and regulate it down to 7.4. thanks for your input.

Captain Ron,
I just double checked. The control module is marked "4.8 - 9.0 volts".
Old 04-20-2014, 10:50 AM
captainron

...............LOL......I know, I just checked myself. I'll put a 11 v lipo and regulate down to 9. That should speed things up abit. Just want them a little faster...Not very much.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:18 PM
Hellcat716
My Feedback: (2)

That is exactly why I sold mine. I did not enjoy the ground looping tendency on every landing. Also did not like the one piece gear door. Keeps hitting the ground on landing, bad design. Should be made in two pieces so the inner door would slide up on landing.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:44 PM
p51fw190f4u

My fw190..

Name:	20140419_124303.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	3.34 MB
ID:	1988841   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140419_124334.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	3.64 MB
ID:	1988842  
Old 04-22-2014, 07:07 PM
RCHS1

Video - Top Flite FW 190 w DLE 55
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkdolRPuRm8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX2dClb1p8U
with several birds up at same time

Name:	HELLCAT1STPLACE.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	1989133  

Last edited by RCHS1; 04-22-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:53 AM
steph69

RCHS1 That's awesome, you fly the wings off that thing, its good to see some one pushing it to the limits. mine's still sitting on my work bench waiting for the main retracts to turn up.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:33 AM
captainron

RCHSI,
Do you also have that same problem with the ground looping at the end of the landing roll out? Seems a lot of us are. If not, what's your secret ? I've heard wheel alignment amongst others.

Captain Ron

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.