Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Macchi C202 Folgore

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Macchi C202 Folgore

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 09:59 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by David DeWitt
Here is one I picked up, going to put a DA 85 for power
That looks darn nice David. Kit, ARF, scratch? Must be pretty good size considering the choice of engines.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:01 PM
Chad Veich

I'm currently working on plugs for the glass parts. Tail stinger plug getting close.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:01 PM
David DeWitt
My Feedback: (289)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

106" wingspan, looks to be scratch built.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:03 PM
Chad Veich

Originally Posted by David DeWitt
106" wingspan, looks to be scratch built.
Excellent! Please keep us informed on your progress with it. Good, scale models of the Macchi do not come along very often.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:12 AM
w1nd6urfa
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad Veich
In regards to the full size I've read that much of the nasty stall characteristics were caused by the rather unusual airfoil which has a very sharp leading edge compared to most WW2 fighters. I chose to go with a more proven airfoil on my design. I've kept the scale wing thickness percentages at the root and tip but the leading edge is not quite a sharp. Hopefully those "fixes" will make it a pilot friendly aircraft. Although, I've spoken with Ed Newman about his 1/4 scale Mc-200 and he says it flies just fine with a scale tail and the scale airfoils.
Hi Chad,
May I ask which airfoil did you use? and did you base it on calculations or "gut feeling"?
Old 08-25-2014, 09:30 AM
AZThud

Hi Chad, how did the mold of the tail cone come out?

Cheers
Old 08-25-2014, 12:13 PM
Chad Veich

Originally Posted by w1nd6urfa
Hi Chad,
May I ask which airfoil did you use? and did you base it on calculations or "gut feeling"?
The airfoils are 5 digit NACA but I don't remember which ones! Been too long ago that I drew the plans. I'm sure I've got it stored away somewhere amongst all my documentation. The criteria used when choosing the airfoils was essentially that they be proven good performers and have the correct percentages for the Macchi. At the request of the customer they are also very similar to what Ziroli uses on his designs. It is quite possible that I used the same airfoils that were used on my Ki-61 Tony design since they share very similar planforms and the Tony turned out to be a really good performer.

Originally Posted by AZThud
Hi Chad, how did the mold of the tail cone come out?

Cheers
Very happy with the mold as well as the finished part. Working now on a method of attachment. It has to be removable to access the tail wheel and rudder steering but I don't want any external fasteners. I've got a couple of ideas in the works for this.

The canopy turtle deck plug is finished and ready to be molded next.

Last edited by Chad Veich; 08-25-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:49 PM
AZThud

That looks great Chad!

Cheers
Old 08-25-2014, 03:51 PM
Tempest-RCU
My Feedback: (98)

Nice work Chadster! Looks like Vic is rubbing off on you.

Paul
Old 08-25-2014, 08:56 PM
Chad Veich

Thank Rick, much appreciated.

Paul, I've learned just enough about fiberglass work to know that there AIN'T NO WAY I'm going to attempt the cowl mold and lay up. I'm hoping to con, err, convince Vic to do that one for me. And their is a large chunk of leading edge / fuselage fairing that will be glass that I'd rather not do either. I'm going to take a crack at the turtle deck and then the radiator, both pretty simple, and leave the rest to the professionals.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:12 PM
thunderbolt-RCU
My Feedback: (14)

the 202 is a work of art. HMMM what engine to put in her? Maybe a kola. Right now it is set for a 3W150 inline
Old 08-26-2014, 09:26 AM
Chad Veich

Originally Posted by thunderbolt-RCU
the 202 is a work of art. HMMM what engine to put in her? Maybe a kola. Right now it is set for a 3W150 inline
I hear there is a year long wait time on some of the Kolm engines!
Old 11-05-2014, 07:42 PM
IFLYRC-RCU
My Feedback: (28)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello Chad - any recent progress ?

Watching with some interest - as there are no good Macchi plan/parts avaiable [ yet ]. Hint, hint . . .

Sorry, had to say it !
Old 11-05-2014, 09:20 PM
Chad Veich

Updates coming soon IFLY, watch this space!
Old 11-06-2014, 05:35 AM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Loving it....nice work Chad.

JQ
Old 11-22-2014, 10:40 PM
Chad Veich

A small update on the Macchi. First turtledeck is out of the mold and looks pretty good. The distinctive Macchi shape really starts to emerge with the turtledeck in place. Also received the stainless steel 3d printed control horns for the tail surfaces which means I can move forward with getting the elevator, rudder, and tail wheel steering control runs installed. Once that is done the remainder of the fuse can be sheeted and I will be able to get to work on those giant wing fillets. Also making good progress with the cowl plug but no pictures at this time.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:26 PM
Chad Veich

Cowl plug construction. The gun troughs are, well, let's just say "challenging".

Old 11-28-2014, 10:46 PM
John Sohm
My Feedback: (9)

Originally Posted by Chad Veich
Working now on a method of attachment. It has to be removable to access the tail wheel and rudder steering but I don't want any external fasteners. I've got a couple of ideas in the works for this.
A couple pins to fix location and a couple neodymium magnets should be more than strong enough to hold it in place Chad,
Old 11-29-2014, 04:35 AM
fokke

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Realy great job Chad !!
Old 11-29-2014, 08:13 AM
Chad Veich

Originally Posted by John Sohm
A couple pins to fix location and a couple neodymium magnets should be more than strong enough to hold it in place Chad,
That was the original plan John but I am now considering 4mm banana plugs instead. I have seen these used for mounting a cowl and it was very slick. One way or the other...

Originally Posted by fokke
Realy great job Chad !!
Thank you fokke.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:08 AM
Chad Veich

The Macchi is progressing again! Due to some family and health related issues things slowed way down on all my projects but I have managed to make some substantial headway on the Macchi over the last few weeks. (Although much of it is not all that visible or interesting!) One of the major hurdles needing to be overcome was getting everything in the tail hooked up and functioning in order to be able to continue closing up the fuselage. This included the elevator, rudder, and tail wheel steering servos and linkages. That is all done now much to my relief. I get very little joy from what I consider mundane tasks such as these and, in this case, it was not a simple as one would have hoped. Despite the rather large size of the model things get VERY tight in the aft end and there was little room to spare. It was always my intention to put the dual elevator servos in the rear of the fuse in order to keep the linkages as short as possible as well as completely internal. There will be no external linkages on this airplane. The rudder servo was pushed forward to just behind the cockpit which is also where, initially, I had planned to put the steering servo. In the end the steering servo ended up in the aft fuselage as well as the benefits of doing so were just too many to pass up. I just hope I don't pay the price when it comes time to balance the airplane!

Elevator and steering servo installation.

Rudder servo installation. This is directly behind the pilot's seat and the entire turtledeck will be removable for access. The dual receivers may end up here as well.

The vertical fin is now installed and the rear fuselage is all closed up around the tail feathers. There are, of course, some large fillets to be constructed yet. Not sure if I have mentioned it before but the stabs/elevators are removable.

Next item on the agenda will be the installation of the tail cone which also has to be removable to access the tail wheel and rudder steering...

...and then I will be moving forward to the turtledeck. It will be removable but I will do my utmost to make sure that it does not appear to be so!

Onward and upward!
Old 04-27-2015, 03:12 AM
w1nd6urfa
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for posting Chad, very happy to see this is progressing !
Old 04-27-2015, 08:44 PM
Chad Veich

Thank you w1nd6urfa, I too am glad to see progress!

One other small bit of progress to share, a bit of detail work just to keep things interesting. A 3d computer model was created of the large tropical filter which features quite prominently on the Macchi. The hope is that this item can be offered as a 3d printed option when the time comes. It is designed in four sections which are hollowed out as can be seen. Please note the nose piece is not finished as my limited 3d skills were not up to the task of accurately reproducing the rather complex shape. Thus a simplified shape was created and the final sculpting will be done the old fashioned way. I will then make a silicon mold in order to cast this part. Not shown here is the very aft portion which is simply a fairing to streamline the installation. That portion will be a vac-formed part. Thomas (Invertmast) has printed the prototype for me and maybe he will post some pics if he is checking in here once in a while. There is much additional detail that will be added but I think this will serve as a very good foundation to build upon. I am really looking forward to receiving the parts and seeing what I can do with them.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:48 AM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome

JQ
Old 04-29-2015, 09:14 AM
Chad Veich

Thanks Jeff and right back at you. "Awesome" pretty much sums up what I think every time I check in on your Vindicator build!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.