Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

5th Annual West Texas Warbirds

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

5th Annual West Texas Warbirds

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 08:44 PM
Bryan McLarty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5th Annual West Texas Warbirds

The 5th Annual West Texas Warbirds is scheduled for the weekend of September 14th-16th, 2012 in Abernathy, Texas.Make plans to attend this great Class 'C' AMAsanctioned event featuring three full days of open flying,sponsored by Wings Miniature Aircraft Society of Lubbock.

The club field is just a short drive north of Lubbock, Texas at the Abernathy Municipal Airport just east of Abernathy.Our field is excellent and is ready for your big, bad, warbirds with a spacious 1300+' x 75' paved runway, wide taxiways and six concrete pilots stations. Perfect for jets, multi-engined and giant scalewarbirds! New this year is an over 110' shaded pit area for early Friday arrivals. The fieldhasabsolutely no obstructions and plenty of big, beautiful, West Texas sky fora great time. This isn't just another event out in the sticks!

This year we are offering fivecustom made trophies for 'Best WWI', 'Best WWII', 'Best Modern', 'People's Choice' (voted by the spectators), and 'Most Scale Flight'.

West Texas Warbirds has a $25.00 landing fee for all three days and includes a Saturday lunch ticket for each registered pilot. We will feature a noon-time aircraft line up on Saturday for a short break in the actionand 'People's Choice' voting. Excellent catering will also be available on-site!

Please visitwww.westtexaswarbirds.com forall the detailsabout attending this great event. A complete listing of hotels is available on thewebsite for you to plan your visit. Make your lodging reservations early!

Please contact any of theSenior Event Staff listedon the website for any questions or assistance. Wewill be happy to help you!

Thanks for your consideration,

Bryan S. McLarty, DDS
Lubbock, TX
CD, West Texas Warbirds
806-789-4922
Attached Images  
Old 08-21-2012, 06:47 PM
airborneandlovingit

Default RE: 5th Annual West Texas Warbirds

Hey everybody! It's hard to believe we're heading into our 5th year for hosting Warbirds Over West Texas! We've grown a little more each year and our facilities have improved with us. We're extremely proud of all our club members who pitch in throughout the year but especially at Warbirds. There's a lot that goes into hosting one of these events but we always seem to rise to meet the challenge and our club members, visiting pilots and spectators always seem to have a great time. I don't know if we'll see something like this again this year but I remember the 1st year we did this something that happened that turned out to be great entertainment for all. One of our visiting pilots from Clovis New Mexico, Jimmy Cowman, was flying his big B-17G. He came in on approach to land and found out he had no throttle control over the port side 2 engines. He was unable to keep it on the runway and it ran off into the infield chasing one of our club members Grady Alberts. It sort of looked like one of those scenes where you have a big goose chasing someone. Luckily for Grady, a couple of our guys were able to catch the wings of the big bird before it could run Grady down. Too bad no one had a cam corder running at the time. Hopefully, if Jimmy is there again this year he can wow us in maybe a slightly different way. If any of you out there are pilots and need another event to come to to strut your stuff, check us out at www.westtexaswarbirds.com. Everything you'll need to know is there. See you in about 3 weeks!
Old 08-22-2012, 03:51 AM
Red Raider
My Feedback: (86)

I'm going to be there. Bringing my Warhawk. It's been a good event every year, unlimlited flying, lots of good food and good friends. The venue has really improved with 120 feet of covered pits.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:41 AM
jetjockey
My Feedback: (8)

West Texas Warbirds is coming up fast. Our field is in great shape with 120' of permanent shaded asphalt pit area. Really nice and plenty of room for your aircraft, vehicle parking and trailers. Best to arrive early Friday if possible, as the spots start filling up very fast. The weather has morphed into our usual beautiful fall - high temps in the mid 80's to low 90's - mostly southerly winds (right down the runway), and cool mornings and evenings. Moving the event from mid August to mid September seems to have been a good decision as the weather is usually great this time of year. We will have lots of food and drinks available on site Saturday and Sunday at reasonable prices (breakfast and lunch).

We also have door prizes for the pilots, several raffles, event "T" shirts for sale, and trophies to be given for several catagories.

So come on out and join in the fun. We always have a great time, and enjoy seeing all our friends again!

We hope to see you out here in scenic West Texas Sept 14 - 16, 2012. If arriving earlier in the week, that's fine too.

For more information and/or directions to the field, go to www.westtexaswarbirds.com

Les Morrow
Lubbock, TX
Co-CD WTWarbirds

806 281-0787
Old 08-22-2012, 03:33 PM
shanksow
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Making allowances for real life getting in the way at the last minute, I should be able to be there the whole weekend. Even better, I'll be bringing back my eRC B-25J and Seagull Models PC-9 (fingers crossed for both models).
Old 08-23-2012, 07:17 PM
Bandit Leader

Hard to believe that this event is alredy in its 5th year but here we are just a few weeks away. I am looking foreward to this event and plan to have at least the B17 and the P51B ready for some action.Some new field improvements in place plus moving the event back a little hoping for a little cooler weather should make this years warbird the best yet. Looking foreward to seeing some old friends there and making some new ones as well.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:01 PM
m998hmmv

West Texas Warbirds! This will be my first meet, and I can't wait to see the planes that show up. I hear there's going to be barbecue available from the vendors. Hopefully I'll have a new P-38 to fly, if I can get it to fly. See y'all there!
Old 08-29-2012, 05:48 PM
shanksow

WOW!? We got a sticky for our event. kool.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:43 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Don,
You bet. I don't mind helping out events like WOTR by giving them a sticky to help promote them. Just as long as I'm not swamped with a bunch of them wanting stickies that clog up the forum I don't mind helping out. I also can't wait for the event.

I'll be there at the event this year covering it. Bryan has asked me a couple of times in the past to come out, but I've always had something that conflicted with it. But Bryan moving the event around now has freed it up as far as my schedule goes, so I can make it there year. So I'll see you in just about 3 weeks!!!! I can't wait!!
Ken
Old 08-29-2012, 06:49 PM
Bryan McLarty

How 'bout this as our first raffle item:

Proudly donated by Wings and Things Hobby Shop, right here in Lubbock!
Thank you, Robert Masten!

Hanger 9 P-51 Mustang "Blue Nose" ARF!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24076.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	1796570  
Old 08-29-2012, 06:54 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Bryan, 
I'll keep some room in the back of my truck to that one home with me!!!!

Ken
Old 08-29-2012, 07:04 PM
Bryan McLarty

Challenge or Smack Talk? Mmmmm.. You be the judge!

You got the right idea though! I could post the box dimensions for anyone else wanting to save space!

Old 09-02-2012, 01:54 PM
aghost
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll be there Friday through Sunday, hopefully. Looking forward to it!
Brian
Old 09-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Bryan McLarty

Hi, Brian!

Glad to hear you're making plans to join us again! How many other ARCS guys should we expect to have?
Looking forward to seeing you soon!

BMc
Old 09-02-2012, 06:05 PM
airborneandlovingit

Hey guys, it's me again. Just completed our 3rd annual South Plains Mall Show to promote our 5th annual West Texas Warbirds event coming up on the 14th-16th of September. We had a great time, as usual, talking with all kinds of folks about our planes and the event. We usually get a terrific turn out for the event from the mall show and I'm thinking this year will be no exception. I'm uploading a few pics from the mall show. This is a great way to promote the club and the event.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:41 PM
Red Raider
My Feedback: (86)

Got the P-40 ready to go and the most perfect landing I ever made with a warbird cost me $50 in repairs!! Freak deal when one of the tires came off just as it was rolling to a stop. The strut drug the ground and when the elevator wouldn't hold the tail down any longer, she nosed over breaking that 4 1/2 inch spinner, the prop, and forcing me to replace the strut. Geez, what a deal. Oh, well. It's fixed and the next round of flights may be at the Warbird (hopefully sooner). Sure hope we have lots of spectators, La Choi Harman, & Soi Sos Tinnsley have said they're going to fly the pants off my P-40 with their Zeros in our re-enactment of the Flying Tigers Dog fight. All I can say is they better pack a lunch and be prepared to fly low and fly hard 'cause I don't back down from no Zeke!
Red Raider rides again.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:59 PM
shanksow

Well, Tom sent me pictures of me and my PC-9 from the Mall Show yesterday. Its finally all balance and all the servos are working correctly. Now if I can just get the engine to work I'll be happy!

Name:	Rp42229.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	1798148  
Old 09-06-2012, 05:39 AM
Bryan McLarty

Well, folks, got another great raffle item to show you. This is such a cutie! Special thanks to Great Planes!

The new Micro F-86 Sabre with an Anylink transmittermodule!

Name:	Ki17942.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1798839  
Old 09-11-2012, 06:34 PM
airborneandlovingit

Hi guys. I finally was able to get the Mall show pics uploaded to the thread. This was on Saturday September 1st. Our third annual Warbirds mall show. We had a great time talking planes and getting information into peoples hands about the event.

Name:	Db84430.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	1800330   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94291.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	1800331   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79849.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	1800332   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72571.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	1800333   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26819.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	1800334   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59591.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	1800335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27701.jpg
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1800336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87989.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	1800337  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26388.jpg
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	1800338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64241.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	1800339   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46995.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	1800340  
Old 09-11-2012, 06:45 PM
airborneandlovingit

Hi again guys. Just wanted to add a bit about the upcoming event. I finally got my P47 back into shape to fly again and none to soon. I had an electronic ignition conversion done to my Zenoah G45 which used to be a magneto ignition. With all the magneto equipment off, and the cylinder fins shaved down the engine weight was dropped by nearly 2 1/2 pounds. I was then able to remove the box I had made to contain BB's from the rear of the plane (just ahead of the vertical stab). I had to cut a hatch in the fuselage there to get the box inside. As it turns out I had to add just a little extra weight to the nose to hit the CG just right. I took it out this passed Sunday afternoon to "Re-maiden" it I had had landing gear problems previously as well. The left side gear would fold up frequently, even after many adjustments, but this weekend I had no such problems. The engine runs beautifully with the electronic ignition. Had 3 flights and 3 landings without mishap. So looks like the 81" Hangar-9 P47 will be my sweetheart for this years event. Looking forward to it like crazy.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:14 PM
shanksow

Looks like rain for the 13th (Thursday) and on the 14th (Friday), and then it clears out for the weekend. Temps in the mid 70s to lower 80s for the event as of tonights newscast.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:42 PM
Bryan McLarty

It's going to be a great weather weekend! We'll just have to get things set up in and around a gew sprinkles on Thursday. Friday's going to turn out good and weekend is going to be perfect!

There, now I've called it!
Old 09-12-2012, 04:54 AM
aghost
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the Mall Show pictures. Looks like a good event. I like the weekend forecast even better!

At least a couple of us from Amarillo should be there to fly and a few more will probably come to watch.

Brian
Old 09-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Bryan McLarty

OK! Its ROLL CALL TIME!

Who'sa coming and watcha bringin'?

Old 09-12-2012, 03:55 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

ORIGINAL: Bryan McLarty

OK! Its ROLL CALL TIME!

Who'sa coming and watcha bringin'?

I'll be there. I'm bringing my cameras and video equipment!!!!!

Ken

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.