Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

pica or top flight p-51

i have a pica p-51 1/5 size on the shelf and considering selling to get a topflite kit.My reason is the landing gear,i have had a wanted add out for 6 months and no one seems to have a set. I see tf gear all the time.Which kit is more scale and easier to build? this will be my winter project and looking foward to it>
    i am not opposed buying new gear but if a guy can save 200.00 ? just would like some feed back
    jason

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: pica or top flight p-51

jason... I can't speak to the pica kit but I built the TF gold edition P-51 a few years back and it's a good kit
    I didn't have any problems w/ the instructions or there prints that I can remember.
    TF ins. book is usaly well writtenand there prints match up w/ the book you have to have a bit of building skills but it's not a hard build at all. hope I was some help and good luck w/ the bilud how ever you go.

Bruce
    JACK OF ALL MASTER OF NONE

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jason, the pica kit is built by gluing a bunch of small balsa blocks together then carving away everything that does not look like a p51. It fly’s fine, though the recommended engine size is to small for the final wt. mine was 22# with silk span for covering. I started with the recommended super tiger 2500 but it was way under powered and I quickly switched to a g-62 and then it was happy.
    To recap pica is a project! And will be over wt got flot tite (top flite).

Joe
    If it doesn't fly it wount cetch my eye.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

To me, the Pica is a better looking and realistic P-51. My Pica had a Q-52 in it and I agree with paladin, the ST engine range (38CC) is too small. I have also flown the TF. The TF flies "easier", but they both are great fliers....it's just the TF is so grossly light for it's size. My Pica was 29 pounds, flew awesome. Heck I may buy you Pica if ya wanna get rid of it.

Jeff
    Where's my glue....I gotta build!
    Spitfire Bro #108

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I Have had them both and the Pica looks and flys the part. If you can find a pica i would go with that.
    You need to be out flying

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jeff, I will be down to owatonna on Friday, maybe i will bring the kit. I am comming down with roy carrigan, I am assuming there will be top flite and maybe a pica at the event? Why would a heavier plane be better? just curius. maybe i am missing something.
    jason

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The difference in weight is negligible...only about 2-4 pounds max, but for me, I don't like extremely light airplanes...they just don't seem to handle as smoothly or groove as well. With the Pica at 89 inch span, mine was decked out at 29 pounds, which is still light to me. It flew flawlessly. They are a bit more work to build, but in the end, I think you ahve a nicer looking, more accurate P-51. The nose on the TF droops too much which I never liked. I sold Roy an old framed up Pica P-51 I had....get that one from him[8D]. Stop by and say Hi....and if ya can, steal that Evolution 7 cylinder from Roy and drop it in my trailer and I may build you a Pica for Free....

Hi Roy (I know you're looking)[X(]

Jeff
    Where's my glue....I gotta build!
    Spitfire Bro #108

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

also note the wing on the pica is thicker than the topflight kit.
    Hey watch this! #@$!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you have a few kits built from sticks I would recommend the Pica if not the TF will be easier to build, using much later kit technology. As already mentioned the Pica will look closer to scale. There are many retract manufacturers that are available for both kits. I would use a 3w55i , has plenty of power and less hacking of the cowl, OS 55 gasser might be nice as well.
    Happy Flying!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

th Pica I bliv is closer to 1/5th scal. The wingspan is I bliv longr than the TFGS

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There is a popular misconception that a feather light warbird flies better. Not to a true wardird pilot. We feel the lightness in the air and the instability as soon as the wind picks up and on hot days. Nothing like a giant scale bird with some weight to it that then transcends into solid smooth flights, wind or no wind hot or cool.
    The main reason for the love of a light warbird is the fear of a snap due to higher wing loading. My thing is warbirds SHOULD NOT have the wing loading of a 3D EXTRA 300. Learn to handle your warbird and you will become a better pilot.
    The Pica will be a better bird in looks and in flight.
    91-Zulu

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This is the Pica P51, look at the nose, then look at the TF nose. How ever the kit is a lot of work, a builders kit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bz76792.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	148.9 KB 
ID:	1790478  
    91-Zulu

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: 91zulu

This is the Pica P51, look at the nose, then look at the TF nose. How ever the kit is a lot of work, a builders kit.
    The Pica must be a huge amount of work. That would be why I still have not finished the one I started in 1998!!! That I have barely worked on it in years would have nothing to do with it.
    Not alot of info on retract fitting on the Pica plan, you will most lilely have to do a bit of re-designing in this area to suit whatever retracts you choose.
    I do believe the Pica will be a more accurate model when I eventually get it done.
    I don't have a flying problem, I can quit flying anytime I like.................

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

+1
    ORIGINAL: 91zulu

There is a popular misconception that a feather light warbird flies better. Not to a true wardird pilot. We feel the lightness in the air and the instability as soon as the wind picks up and on hot days. Nothing like a giant scale bird with some weight to it that then transcends into solid smooth flights, wind or no wind hot or cool.
    The main reason for the love of a light warbird is the fear of a snap due to higher wing loading. My thing is warbirds SHOULD NOT have the wing loading of a 3D EXTRA 300. Learn to handle your warbird and you will become a better pilot.
    The Pica will be a better bird in looks and in flight.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

my 2 cents all this talk of pica its time one of the Top Flite mustangs are shown. now this is not my plane but it was built in my shop by a Friend and he did buy after market cowl (spychella) sorry about spelling if wrong, but with some work they look very nice.

I'm just trying to give other prospective.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xv63663.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	133.6 KB 
ID:	1790581   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mh21415.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	1790582  
    -Tracey aka Pilotx
    CORSAIR Brotherhood # 62

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thanks guys, for all the input. I do uderstand why weight would make for a more stable flight in winds and just flying it'self. The comments about being more scale is alittle tougher to see for me, I think they both look great with subtle changes. I also think somepeople thinkthat older is better, too.
    it's like rebuilding a 69 camaro or just buying a 2010 camaro. Just a cooler car(69). I am assuming they both have washout built in to the wings? one comment was the pica has a thicker wing, how will that affect the plane? is it more lift on the wing or less, or maybe just a slower flight.I guess because i already have the pica with a fiberglass cowl and do have 8 or so builds under my belt i will build the pica. Just have to keep the tail a little lite from other posts i am reading(newer gas engines are lighter than a g-38). Once again thanks for the opinions, I am going down today to a big warbird flyin in southern minnesota today, NORTHERNALLIANCEMILITARYFLYIN,so I will ask alot of questions and study the two seperate birds. have a great weekend all!
    jason

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Pica planes fly very well even with thick airfoils. How ever don`t let the thicker foil fool you they are slippery and will snap if mishandled. Top Flight did some serious airfoil mods to their warbird line in the 90s soon after the gold edition came out. They started selling gold kits like crazy and guys were crashing them left and right especially the P47. The planes had close to scale airfoils that were not forgiving and in the hands of an unskilled pilot did not last long. So they changed the airfoils so it is more forgiving and that is why the TF warbirds sell so well. Even with the thinner airfoil they are like trainers with a warbird shape. Pica on the other hand requires a bit more attention. No sleeping at the sticks or you will pay the price.
    91-Zulu

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The biggest 'problem' (if you could call it that) is that the Pica's tail feathers are overbuilt (i.e. heavy), IMHO, requiring more nose weight - so sand the heck out of the tail feathers and enjoy the build!
    # 93 in Club Saito; Carl Goldberg Ultimate Brotherhood # 12; Pulse brother # 2;Hellcat Brotherhood #8;P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #18

One very important that everyone is leaving out. Bang the Pica and you have to rebuild from scratch. Bang the TOP-FLITE and you call tower for the part. PICA is not in bussiness anymore and COX is not producing the kit. If you want it to look more scale there are updates for the TOP-FLITE P-51. I had a Pica a few years ago and now I have 3 GS. TOP-FLITE P-51's flying and I will take them any day over the Pica. Buy the ARC and make the updates if you want it more scale.

thanks BOB
    p40bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Seems I read on some forum that the TF 1/5 P-51 has dihedral that is noticeably too flat . Yes ?, no ?, maybe ? 'buff

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Maby if you see a just finished TF 1/5 gold kit you can make your mind up ? Leroy

Does'nt look like it's going to upload tonight, try later.
    Leroy Tiger Club # 53, TF 1/5th P-51 mustang
    Eagle 2 11, bashed Tiger 60, Spacewalker 11 1/4 scale
    P-51 Mustang Brotherhood #28, Sig Brotherhood #12
    If it works for you there is still a wrong way

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Leroy Gardner

Maby if you see a just finished TF 1/5 gold kit you can make your mind up ? Leroy

Does'nt look like it's going to upload tonight, try later.

Well this site just don't work any more, there is a problem here as it will not upload and dropes text when I click on files upload, bummer.
    Leroy Tiger Club # 53, TF 1/5th P-51 mustang
    Eagle 2 11, bashed Tiger 60, Spacewalker 11 1/4 scale
    P-51 Mustang Brotherhood #28, Sig Brotherhood #12
    If it works for you there is still a wrong way

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

as seen it post 15