Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ME109 finishing touches

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ME109 finishing touches

Old 09-11-2003, 09:21 PM
Wulfman
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ME109 finishing touches

Evan,

Do you have anyone who could snap a few in-flight pics?

SC
Old 09-12-2003, 12:50 AM
fw190d9
My Feedback: (1)

Steve, I plan on taking 2 digital cameras and a couple of friends to the flying field when I do the maiden flight. The pics may not be magazine quality as it is kinda hard to capture a warbird on a common digital camera but I will post the pics as soon as I can.
Going out of town this weekend so the maiden will be on monday weather and winds permitting.
Evan Q.
Old 09-12-2003, 07:31 AM
Shihtzutan

Very nice!

Wow, I just went to your website . . . . consider yourself bookmarked! You did a very good job documenting your build and you've advanced us 'wantabe's' at least 5 years in technique.
Old 09-15-2003, 09:49 PM
mwunsworth
My Feedback: (13)

Evan:

I hope you were able to make a successful maiden flight today. Let us know how it went, weather permitting of course.

-Matt
Old 09-15-2003, 09:54 PM
fw190d9

Matt, I didnt get the chance today as the winds were cross at my field. Weather forcast for tomorrow says it should be good. I will have to play hookey and go get the range testing and test flights done. I hope to get out there in the morning. Keep ya posted.
Evan Q.
Old 09-16-2003, 10:19 PM
mwunsworth

Evan:

Sorry to keep bugging you, but did you get a chance to make the maiden today? If so, how did it go?

-Matt
Old 09-17-2003, 12:07 AM
fw190d9

Ok Guys, Confession time. I took the 109 out for her maiden flight today. She passed her range checks with flying colors and the engine ran perfect during run-ups. As for the flight. well.....
I wish that it was sucessful, but it wasnt. On the take off roll, as soon as the tail came up, it honked WAY on over to the left and no amount of right rudder would bring it back. It ran into some 3ft high grass and flipped over on its back. Damage is remarkably slight. Both landing gear trunions broke and the spinner backplate got bent out of round slightly. No damage to the airframe thank goodness. The grass that snagged the gear cushioned the airframe and prevented any damage, it didnt even get a scratch. Even the spinner itself was undamaged. New trunions and backplate are being overnited so I can get the repairs done before bomber field. I will have to take responsibility for the dumb thumb, I should have come up easier on the power and been quicker on the rudder. Hopefully next takeoff attempt will be more successful. Will keep you all posted. Man Im bummed, didnt even get airborne
Evan Q.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:15 AM
mwunsworth

Evan:

Really sorry to hear about the mishap and thankfully no major damage. I'm sure you be able to get it back together perfect for Bomber Field.

I know it is no comparison to your awesome plane but I had 40 size bf109 and that thing was so squirrelly on takeoff. If I came slightly too fast on the power, it would strongly torque left and no amount of right rudder would straighten it out. However, if I applied power too slowly it would ground loop super easy. Once it the air, it flew great and landings were also no problem. Just the take-offs were such a challenge.

-Matt
Old 09-17-2003, 07:23 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear this Evan, got to love those whacked out 109 gear, they laid many new pilots of the original to rest! That fin and rudder area is just to small to deal with the torque of that engine without a doubt. Good luck on the next flight, she let you off easy this time! We want some good in flight pictures and some post flight celebration pictures!

Luke
Old 09-17-2003, 10:49 AM
fly109

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Evan,

Trunions and backplate on the way NextDay UPS. I am sure you will be up and running soon.
Don't let this experience get to you. This 109 can be taken off in a left side crosswind on a narrow paved strip once you get the hang of it. Take offs need to be made following a very basic procedure: Line up, enough power to begin a slow rollout, Stabilize direction, increase power to 1/3rd while holding direction, once stabilized again - begin advancing slowly towards full power while constantly maintaining direction.
In my experience with this model and other 109s as well, I have found that I am using more rudder in the early stages of the take off run - through the first and second power advancements. If by the time I am moving beyond half throttle, the model is pointed down the runnway correctly, this model will require less and less rudder input from then on. It will track as good as any other fighter type once the tail is up and you have good speed. Getting it to that point is easy and repeatable as long as you set up a system of checkpoints in your mind and follow the procedure every time you take off.
If at any time during the rollout you find that there is not enough rudder to correct it is probably because the model has begun to swing, once this happens, it will not be stopped. I tend to think of it as balancing a broomstick upside down in the palm of your hand - small movements made quickly will keep the broomstick realitively straight and close to you, but let it begin to fall and you will have to run to catch it - if at all.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Patrick McCurry
Old 09-17-2003, 11:27 AM
fw190d9

Thanks a bunch Pat. I will do exactly that next time. BTW Guys, THAT is what I call excellent customer service! I wish more kit manufacturers would respond as Pat has done. Thank you again for the great service and awesome kit.
Evan Q.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:41 PM
NE0
My Feedback: (9)

Evan,

Just as I expected, an absolutely awesome job on the 109. You continue to raise the bar for all of us. Sorry to hear about your takeoff problems... hang in there my friend, you'll work it out. Consider yourself lucky, it could have been a lot worse. I'm sure you'll have it in rare form for Bomber Field... wish I could be there.

Keep up the good work!

Neo
Old 09-17-2003, 04:12 PM
rrudytoo
My Feedback: (27)

Evan,
You're my hero! What a terrific job you've done. Thanks for sharing the build up on your website.
Al
Old 09-19-2003, 06:20 PM
BigRetracts-RCU

Default Second Maiden Flight

Hello to all that are following Evans ME109 Project. I just received a
call from him at Bomber Field after his second maiden flight attempt on
his 109. He said he flew it without any problems in front of about 1000
spectators. He also said it is a definite keeper. Congratulations Evan
on another scale bird.

Darrell
Old 09-23-2003, 01:57 PM
Condor

Default Mishap at Bomber Field

I read in another thread about Evan's accident on takeoff at Bomber Field. I have learned a lot from his website, including his series on constructing the 109, so I just wanted to say I hope he can get back in the air soon. It was (is?) a gorgeous plane!

Juan M. Villaveces
Old 09-23-2003, 08:17 PM
AirRayInc
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Mishap at Bomber Field

Evo,
gotta love this hobby/obsession eh! Build, paint, drool, fly, drool, crash....start it all over again. Sorry about your crash. To me the worse crashes are in fact the ones in front of alot of people. I hate to crash, but in the years that I have been flying, I know that there is no such thing as "never crash" no matter what or who the fault

I look forward to seeing the updates as you bring the 109 back to flight ready status Buddy.

Ray
Old 09-23-2003, 10:14 PM
ProfLooney

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hey if you gonna crash might as well do it in front of a lot of people then they will remember the plane better and comment how good it looked whole. and if it is repairable thats a plus glad it wasnt too bad Evan

Joe
Old 09-23-2003, 11:00 PM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Crash in front of a lot of people, don't mention that to Air-Ray, his Ziroli P40 crashed 15 feet from a lot of people, if I did not run (while still trying to fly my airplane) it would have been less than 10 feet, it was very very scary.

Evans, sorry about the mishap, but glad you got second chance at your beautiful model!

Vic
Old 09-23-2003, 11:30 PM
fw190d9

Thanks Guys. I felt like throwing the parts in the trash can as it looked pretty bad at the meet. Thank goodness I kept everything as it really doesnt look that bad now. Its gonna take some work but the 109 will fly again. BTW is anyone interested in me doing updates to the webpage on the rebuild? Sort of a crash rebuild series?
Evan Q.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:02 AM
Condor

BTW is anyone interested in me doing updates to the webpage on the rebuild? Sort of a crash rebuild series?
Evan Q.
[8D]Well, I for one would love that. To put it delicately, good insights at repair techniques are sometimes more useful to me than good insights into building... I guess my flying skills have not kept pace with my building skills, which is an awful thing to say about my flying!

Juan M. Villaveces
Old 09-24-2003, 03:47 AM
p-47d-25

Hey Evan, first off, I have been following along the entire time you have been building this 109, and loved every update on the progress. I was in disbelief when I heard about it going in.
Yes, I believe a rebuild page would be beneficial to all who have followed along. This can teach us another aspect of building, in that I mean, rebuilding after a crash.

Good luck in the rebuild.

Nick
Old 09-24-2003, 06:51 AM
SBR_RV

my dad is in love with this one and iam gonna get me one of these
perhapes even film a bit of its flight