Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Corpus Christi,TX Clubs?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Corpus Christi,TX Clubs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 05:47 PM
JackL
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corpus Christi,TX Clubs?

It looks like I will be migrating from Austin to Corpus Christi soon and I am trying to find a place to fly. Where is there to fly in the Corpus Christi and surrounding area? I don't see anything listed on the AMA site. I know we have several people who come up for our events, so there must be somewhere to fly....

Jack Lewis
ARCA
Old 08-14-2012, 12:45 AM
Pilot P51
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Corpus Christi,TX Clubs?

Well my friend you are coming to the wrong place to fly RC. The city of CC is broke and we have not had a city flying field for several years. With so much avation history here in the city it is a shame we can not get the city to help. Most of us fly our big airplanes out at Bishop airport about 30 mins from here.
A few guys fly one weekend a month at the NAS that is all the Navy will let us fly. A few fly out at Bill Wit Soccer Field, but you can not use it on the weekends because they have scooer going on.
Good luck I can send you my phone number on email and also give you a few contacts.

Sorry for the bad news
Walt
Old 08-14-2012, 08:17 AM
GAP-RCU

ORIGINAL: Pilot P51

Well my friend you are coming to the wrong place to fly RC. The city of CC is broke and we have not had a city flying field for several years. With so much avation history here in the city it is a shame we can not get the city to help. Most of us fly our big airplanes out at Bishop airport about 30 mins from here.
A few guys fly one weekend a month at the NAS that is all the Navy will let us fly. A few fly out at Bill Wit Soccer Field, but you can not use it on the weekends because they have scooer going on.
Good luck I can send you my phone number on email and also give you a few contacts.

Sorry for the bad news
Walt
That's a shame. Down in the coastal plains, with so much open space, it's amazing to hear that it's hard to establish a flying site, with or without government help. Not much RC participation there, perhaps? I was just down in the Cabaniss area of CC a few weeks ago, and just assumed that there must be some good flying sites somewhere in the area (though I didn't have the time to look for any).
Old 08-14-2012, 09:57 AM
alanc

just as a matter of interest, i dont know how you guys get your fields, over here, we knock on a farmers front door, and rent some land, our national body does not provide fields, neither does our local council, we get together, rent the field,affiliate to our national body, the British ModelFlying Association, and starta club, if there is land there,can you not do similar? just interested,
Old 08-14-2012, 01:08 PM
Pilot P51

Cabaniss is the field I was talking about, we can only fly one weekend a month there. We did have a number of smaller clubs with fields buy they to have gone by the wayside. The air field in Bishop is very nice, small airport so not that many big planes landing.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:46 PM
JackL

Wow, this is depressing. I figured that a town as large as Corpus would have at least one good field. I fly turbines and giant scale warbirds mostly, so it seems I am out of luck. Thanks for the input guys!
Old 08-15-2012, 07:10 AM
Pilot P51

Jack send me an email when you get settled in, we will hook up. I fly gaint scale war birds myself and a few other large scale planes. Sorry for the bad news,
Walt
Old 08-15-2012, 07:51 AM
EloyM
My Feedback: (194)

We used to have a paved, fenced field between downtown and the seawall. Oh, but that was back in the 40's, and controline.
Where did the time go??? Eloy AMA1995
Old 08-15-2012, 09:58 AM
alanc

there must be like minded guys down there, why not take note of what i said, and get some guys together, and start a club? whats the difficulty
Old 08-15-2012, 10:18 AM
JackL

Alan, it's not a bad idea, it's just expensive. Getting a club together is one thing,( I am currently the vice-president of ARCA here in Austin), finding the cash for a 6-700ft. paved runway without the help of the city or county is another.......
Old 08-16-2012, 07:56 AM
Pilot P51

Dude
we still have several clubs in the area just NO FLYING FIELDS, Like jack said it is very expense down here to find land trust me we all have been looking for years.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:59 AM
alanc

sounds grim, what you need is a nice rich member who will lend the club money, or maybe apply for lottery money???? as for the paved runway bit, i would rather fly on a good grass runway any day of the week,are there no fields there?
Old 08-16-2012, 02:29 PM
GAP-RCU

ORIGINAL: alanc

sounds grim, what you need is a nice rich member who will lend the club money, or maybe apply for lottery money???? as for the paved runway bit, i would rather fly on a good grass runway any day of the week, are there no fields there?
Texas is generally an arid land, which is now compounded by a historic drought cycle - one that experts say may last until 2018 or so. While a rocky, dry, brown, dead grass field is ok for myself and other sport flyers, the turbine folks (and most anyone with retracts) really need something that's paved. Very few places, such as Bomber Field near Houston, have the ability to irrigate the grass; it's just too expensive.

From watching the Olympics recently, the landscape looked pretty lush and green in the UK - I'm envious!
Old 08-17-2012, 06:13 AM
alanc

thats because its always bloody raining!!!!!! sat here now, its bouncing down, and if its not raining, its blowing, but at least our field looks good, even though we cant use it, i take your point about the arrid land and the drought cycle, it sounds as if you are up against it,