Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Testors Dullcote

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 05:07 PM
spec450

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Testors Dullcote

<input type="hidden" id="gwProxy"></input><input type="hidden" id="jsProxy" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" />I was wondering if i use Testors Dullcote on my H9 mustang, would the nitro exhaust mess with it. I'm trying to figure out a good way to add the weathering effect to my warbird. thanks
Old 08-16-2012, 05:24 PM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Testors Dullcote

My humble opinion would be to do all of your weathering techniques first (panel line chips and dust, worn paint, exhaust stains, etc) then spray over it with Top Flite Lustrecoat flat clear, or better yet, Minwax Satin Polyurethane in the spray can. Both are very fuel proof but the Lustrecoat stinks to high heaven, so be aware of that. If you are just looking to flatten out the overly glossy finish of the Hnangar 9 birds, before you spray it with flat clear, rub the covering with 000 steel wool. This will knock some of the gloss off the finish and give you a better look.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:27 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use the lustre coat also. Ensure you mist it on in light coats. Also be aware that it will yellow over your lighter colors.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:35 PM
spec450

Thanks for the tips! Have you guys weathered your gas/glow warbirds?...I'm wanting to do my first one on my mustang PTS so im trying to do as much research as possible. I hope i dont mess it up haha<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"></input><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"/>
Old 08-17-2012, 03:50 AM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

Yes, I weather every one of my warbirds, somemore than others. There is a big 30+ page thread on this forum about weathering techniques. You should be able to find it with a search. Try searching on "For that in-service look".
Old 08-17-2012, 08:44 AM
ForcesR

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: spec450

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden" /><input id="jsProxy" type="hidden" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" />I was wondering if i use Testors Dullcote on my H9 mustang, would the nitro exhaust mess with it. I'm trying to figure out a good way to add the weathering effect to my warbird. thanks
Spec450, Testors Dullcote will wipe right off if exposed to nitro/gas etc., heck it even spots when exposed to water droplets. Its only useful if you dullcote an electric powered aircraft, but you must avoidthe dullcotebeing exposed to water/rain etc. Don't ask me how I know..Lol.

Roger