Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Senior Project/ PLEASE HELP

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Senior Project/ PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 05:15 PM
alpha121314

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Senior Project/ PLEASE HELP

Hello! I am new to the RC field and with my senior year comes senior projects. They are required to show a learning stretch so I have decided to build a large rc warbird, but have been having trouble finding the right one. I am willing to spend a solid amount of money, along with a little help with my parents. I don't want a smaller plane because I cannot risk breaking the tiny parts, so I am looking for a larger scale. So far the best option I have seen is the top flite p-47. Ive heard that this site is reliable, so it is my most likely option. The biggest problem I am having is finding out exactly what else I need. I know I need to buy an engine and controller, but I have no idea what else to do. If you guys could recommend me any options or give any advice, I would be more than grateful. I definitely cannot spend more than 500 dollars, anything from 400 up is a stretch, but under that is no problem. Please let me know EVERYTHING I need to know. Thanks so much!
Old 09-18-2017, 06:42 PM
aymodeler
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You probably do not want to hear this, but starting out in RC with a scale warbird is a bit like starting out running a marathon as your first race. The TF P47 kit is a great kit and a solid flyer, but it definitely is not a beginner's kit to build or to fly. Do you have any RC flying experience, and any building experience? Do you have any basics already (like tools or a radio)?

Assuming not (from your post) and assuming that you are talking about the 0.61 -0.90 sized TF kit (63" wingspan), I doubt that you will be able to keep within the $400 - $500 budget you mentioned. The kit will run you $230, a glow motor another $200, a basic radio and servos another $175 - $200, wheels, props, hardware, covering material, adhesives, etc. will run you another $100 (or more), plus tools (assuming you do not have any yet), fuel, fuel pump, starter, etc. and you are looking at $800 - $900 minimum to get a P-47 in the air from scratch (that goes way up if you add retracts).

If you have never flown before, a P47 (really any scale warbird) is not likely to be a success story. Nearly all of us learned to fly on a high wing trainer that is much more forgiving (and usually with a lot of help from an experienced RC pilot).

For you first project, you might want to consider something like a Sig LT40 trainer. Its a good sized kit with a 70" wingspan. The kit is designed to be built by someone with no prior experience with clear instructions lead you through each step, but if you have never built an RC plane before, there will be plenty of challenge. Again, assuming that you are starting from scratch, you will be closer to your target budget, but still over: $150 for the kit, $150 for the motor, $150 for a radio (if you skimp), another $100 - $200 for supplies (depending on how creative you get), you might be able to get in the air for $700 - $750 from scratch.

My best advice to you is to find a local club that can help guide you through the process. With luck, you can find someone who will be able to loan you tools (and experience) and perhaps be able to sell you some of what you need second hand. Another suggestion, if you really want to get into the hobby on the cheap, check out Flite Test (http://www.flitetest.com). They have tons of foam board based planes that are a blast to build and fly that will not break the bank.

Sorry if this is not the answer you were hoping for.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:42 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go to Tower Hobbies - Best Source for Radio Remote Control (R/C or RC) Cars, Trucks, Airplanes, Boats and Drones with your shopping list and get a feel for how much you will have to spend. You do not say what size plane you want so it's hard to tell how much you will have to spend. My guess is that $500 is kind of low. Dan
Old 09-19-2017, 03:11 AM
alpha121314

Thanks to both the replies. I do have experience flying rc, just not building them. I have soloed in a real plane several times and working towards my first solo cross country, and while I was taking flight lessons I got interested in RC flight as well. I have flown a couple planes and I am generally pretty solid at flying them. The price looks like it might just be too much though. I am 18 and for the project I am getting a professional mentor to assist me, but I will be doing much of the building and I have never built one before. It looks like it is just too expensive though. If you guys could help me find a build that will cost 500 dollars total at most, maybe not a warbird or a big plane, I would be grateful.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:18 AM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Top Flite Contender 60 Gold Edition Kit

You could build something like this for under $500.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:29 AM
alpha121314

Tower Hobbies P-51 .40 kit .40-.46 57"- there is a combo for this plane that comes with the controller, engine, kit, and servos, and the site says I would need to buy 2 rolls of covering, a fuel tank, fuel tubing, wheels, spinner, wheel collars, and building/field equipment. Will this get me up and flying, because that would fit my budget?
Old 09-19-2017, 07:26 AM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a first warbird that P-51 is pretty good. But....it still will fly like a low wing, fast, sport airplane. You said you have some RC experience so you may be good to go. If you have an experienced RC mentor you should have no problem.

If you intend to go ahead with the project join the Tower Super Saver Club. Costs $5 to join and you get free shipping and a $60 discount on a $400 purchase.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:42 AM
Psychron

I tend to agree with some of the posters that a P51 (the plane that won the war if I'm not mistaken), while an admirable choice with all types of excesive performance and whatnot, might be a bit much to start out with. I'd recommend a high wing trainer personally, but if you've really got your heart set on a warbird, I'd suggest an e-flite Trojan T28. While it's technically a trainer plane, it has a low wing and it looks and flies very scale. They are super stable and honestly a joy to fly. I have the model with flaps and retracts 1.3m wingspan and electric ( I like electrics) They have the original model with no retracts or flaps, but still 4 channel control, which also gets rave reviews. If you're definitely going gas and balsa and all that, I'd really recommend that. My electric one will pull vertical indefinitely or until the battery dies.. at which point I beter get that gear down fast!

I am sure they offer the Trojan in gas or nitro.. someone has to be making them.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:21 AM
alpha121314

I will definitely be looking into that T-28, sounds interesting. I may have been inaccurate i describing my flying situation. I am experienced in flying RC planes, I can handle a plane with ease. The only thing I am new at is building a plane. Mine have always been RTF or borrowed.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:39 AM
radfordc

If your project is to "build an airplane" then the Eflite T-28 won't fit the bill....it's a foam ARF.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:46 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I think you've made a good choice for a first P-51 build. First, it's a 40 size so it's big enough to handle the wind and be an ok build but small enough to be affordable. I personally wouldn't choose to start with just a 4 channel radio but unless you are willing to go against the opinions of a great many people on this forum and buy from HobbyKing or BangGood you can't really do better than the full combo and stay within your budget. Second, it's a Great Planes model and their instructions are usually very good. I strongly recommend you read the manual on building that model BEFORE you buy it. I always read the instructions at least twice - once before I start and again during the build. Sometimes, especially on a hard build, I will read each section thoroughly before building that section and then again during the build so that makes 3 times total. And watch the review. The web page tells you what you need to build the model as does the instruction manual. Fill out a complete list and get your pricing. It also wouldn't hurt to send that complete list to Tower and tell them what you are doing to see if you can get a discount on a complete package.

Good luck with your build. If you need help at any point just send me a PM. There are many tricks in building that are not mentioned in the instructions.

And get a good building board unless you have either a pool table or glass dining room table you can dedicate to building. I've used both. I also recommend a 24x36 self-sealing cutting mat. Tower has them but so does Hobby Lobby, Michaels, Joann's and other crafts stores. And theirs are often cheaper.

Last edited by rgburrill; 09-19-2017 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:16 AM
alpha121314

Alright so it sounds like this is gonna be my plane! Thanks so much for the advice! Only one thing holding me back from buying it on the spot right now. My project is due late November... will I have time to get this thing flying before that deadline?
Old 09-20-2017, 10:46 AM
Psychron

Originally Posted by rgburrill
I think you've made a good choice for a first P-51 build. First, it's a 40 size so it's big enough to handle the wind and be an ok build but small enough to be affordable. I personally wouldn't choose to start with just a 4 channel radio but unless you are willing to go against the opinions of a great many people on this forum and buy from HobbyKing or BangGood you can't really do better than the full combo and stay within your budget. Second, it's a Great Planes model and their instructions are usually very good. I strongly recommend you read the manual on building that model BEFORE you buy it. I always read the instructions at least twice - once before I start and again during the build. Sometimes, especially on a hard build, I will read each section thoroughly before building that section and then again during the build so that makes 3 times total. And watch the review. The web page tells you what you need to build the model as does the instruction manual. Fill out a complete list and get your pricing. It also wouldn't hurt to send that complete list to Tower and tell them what you are doing to see if you can get a discount on a complete package.

Good luck with your build. If you need help at any point just send me a PM. There are many tricks in building that are not mentioned in the instructions.

And get a good building board unless you have either a pool table or glass dining room table you can dedicate to building. I've used both. I also recommend a 24x36 self-sealing cutting mat. Tower has them but so does Hobby Lobby, Michaels, Joann's and other crafts stores. And theirs are often cheaper.
So our friend is running up against a tight deadline. I recall the control line plane I had that flew with a cox pee wee .049 engine taking me a good month to build and it was only a 2 foot wingspan. It was literally not much bigger than the UMX planes E-flite is churning out.

With 3000 glue joints, could he get away with hot glue instead of CA? would the hot glue add too much weight? I know it'd be the fastest way to assemble this thing. He and I have been talking about other alternatives. there are smaller rubber band powered mustangs that he could build and coat in clear monokote or something that allows others to see the framework inside. That might be better for a school project and at the same time at $40 he'd still have enough money to buy the warbird he really wants ARF out of balsa and put either an electronic powerplant or gas as he saw fit completely separate from the project.

I was looking at one on ebay that I can't post a url for yet... sucks being a new user.

I just don't want him to end up with a .40 sized kit that's going to take him 4 months to build. Busy schedule, varsity athlete... he's going to have his hands full. I mean I know the phrase is, you'll never have time unless you make time, but..... I just would like to see him succeed. Right now he's teetering on the edge of switching topics altogether.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:02 PM
radfordc

Originally Posted by alpha121314
Alright so it sounds like this is gonna be my plane! Thanks so much for the advice! Only one thing holding me back from buying it on the spot right now. My project is due late November... will I have time to get this thing flying before that deadline?
Can it be built in two months...of course it can. Will it be finished on time....entirely up to you. Spend at least 2 hours a day, everyday, and you won't have a problem. And for goodness sakes....no hot glue!