Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

P-40 Brotherhood (All P-40's Welcome)

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

P-40 Brotherhood (All P-40's Welcome)

Old 09-01-2012, 11:34 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: P-40 Brotherhood (All P-40's Welcome)

ORIGINAL: Duplicator41

Well I just can't resist this brotherhood as just like Chad I've had a love/hate relationship with the P40. My first one, a TF red box kit with fixed gear loved me. My second one, a Brian Taylor P40 modified to a ''B'' model did everything it could to make me look bad. Somehow I managed not to kill it. So in my lengthy build queue is a JB P40C with a terrific Vic fiberglass fuse and Sierra retracts as well as another Brian Taylor P40 an ''E'' this time.
Beautiful mod of the Taylor plan Duplicator41. Best of luck with your other Warhawks as well. The Bates B/C has a bit of a reputation as a hand full as well. Build light and build straight would be my advice on that one! Strange too as one of the best flying P-40 models I've ever seen was a Bates P-40N which shares the same wing and tail surfaces. That slightly longer fuselage must make all the difference in the world.

ORIGINAL: SVX
Hi Chad,

Thanks, no I never did. Last year I felt that I needed to to legitimize the model and fly her so I bought a TF Mustang to hone my skills. Well I couldn't leave well enough alone and am in the process of making a more scale cowl, scoop etc. which is taking forever so it got pushed back again. I must say all the comments so far on this thread are instilling me with allot of confidence.
I know all about not being ablle to leave well enough alone SVX! That's half the fun and whether your P-40 flies this year or next or never doesn't really matter as long as you're enjoying the ride.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:21 PM
WARBIRDRCER
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

P-40 Brotherhood
Master Roster
Started 8-30-2012

Brotherhood Update, we now have 20 in our squadron as of 9-1-2012

Welcome to the P-40 Brotherhood

If you would like to join the P-40 Brotherhood please make your request on this thread and I will assign you a number.

Never can tell when you may run into another P-40 Brother somewhere, so join now.

1. Warbirdrcer OK, USA
1.5. Talimena Kidd OK, USA
2. Chad Veich AZ, USA
3. dasintex TX, USA
4. Meschmidt TX, USA
5. gaumflyer Gaum, USA
6. gaumflyer’s Dad Gaum, USA
7. tp777fo SC, USA
8. Dash7ATP VA, USA
9. 77chickenhawk CA, USA
10. ccostant MA, USA
11. Capt G NV, USA
12. RBean PA, USA
13. P-40 Driver TX, USA
14. LQUAN CA, USA
15. raptureboy PA, USA
16. SVX UT, USA
17. AmishWarlord NC, USA
18. Duplicator41 ID, USA
19. gregandhollie IN, USA
20. LDM PA, USA
Old 09-01-2012, 03:32 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you sir !
Old 09-01-2012, 03:38 PM
Chad Veich

I'll get working on a new decal as soon as the Spitfire Brotherhood decals are done and shipped Steve!
Old 09-01-2012, 03:49 PM
WARBIRDRCER

Recently a friend and I worked out a deal and I traded my Byron P-40 that was powered by a DA-50 for a Ziroli P-40 powered by a 3W-85 Competition Series engine. I flew the Byron P-40 for the last couple of years and enjoyed its performance. I will warn you not to let one rotate to soon, or attempt a slow approach. Once ready to fly she was fun, once ready to land she made you work.

Enjoy the video:

http://rcuvideos.com/video/P-40-Kittyhawk-Flight

I have 3 flights on my Ziroli now, but had to pull the main gear for an overhaul.

The attached photos are of my former Byron P-40.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:54 PM
WARBIRDRCER

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

I'll get working on a new decal as soon as the Spitfire Brotherhood decals are done and shipped Steve!
I was just thinking of those, and the pdf for the shirts[8D]
Old 09-01-2012, 04:15 PM
WARBIRDRCER

Chad,

Can you give me some first flight tips on the TF 1/7 scale P-40?

I have been told if I apply the same methods to the TF as I did the Byron I should be okay. It would have been nice if TF would have incorporated the Celik airfoil design into this wing as they did so many of their other models.

I understand their 1/7 P-51 also lacks the Celik design.

I friend and I were out this past week putting some first runs on his 1/7 TF P-51 and during a high altitude approach to landing test, the plane without any warning dropped the right wing and entered a tightly wound up spin. I have seen aerobatic planes need forcing into the spin this bird went into, so caution is needed when operating this plane, and apparently the P-40 too.

This P-51 is powered by a DLE-20 and weights in at 11 pounds.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:07 PM
gregandhollie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody here have a recommendation for CG and control throws on the Airfield/FMS 1400mm or similar P-40? The instructions don't give any throw recommendations and the ailerons don't seem to have much throw out of the box. My CG is roughly 1/4-3/8" forward of the recommended 85mm. I'm adding flap servos and linkage so I haven't taken any precise measurements of it yet or attempted to adjust it.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:41 PM
P-40 DRIVER

TF P-51 flys better then The P-40. The P-40's CG needs to be kept well forward ( balence gear up), keep your speed up, don't do anything stupid, and wheel landings are required. Fast and smooth, no bank and yank.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:23 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Greg go to rc groups then eletric warbirds then the FMS/Airfield P40 thread , tons of info on the plane , I have two of them .
They dont fly anything like a warbird , more like a sport plane totally easy and enjoyable to fly .
Old 09-01-2012, 08:17 PM
WARBIRDRCER

ORIGINAL: P-40 DRIVER

TF P-51 flys better then The P-40. The P-40's CG needs to be kept well forward ( balence gear up), keep your speed up, don't do anything stupid, and wheel landings are required. Fast and smooth, no bank and yank.
Thanks P-40 Driver, this sounds a lot like my former Byron, just smaller. I told a friend that has it now sort of the same. Also advised him if the plane is over shooting the runway on the base to final turn do not pull the elevator in to line her up, just let her over shoot and go around.

Again thanks
Old 09-01-2012, 08:26 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

I'm glad I found this thread! I've been wanting a large P-40 ARF but didn't want to pay the price for the TF GS P-40. I saw the pictures of the Skyshark ARFs and went to the Skyshark web site and found that the plane was on closeout sale. It should be here in a week or so.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: WARBIRDRCER
Chad,

Can you give me some first flight tips on the TF 1/7 scale P-40?

I have been told if I apply the same methods to the TF as I did the Byron I should be okay.

P-40 Driver summed it up nicely, keep up the speed and don't do nuthin' dumb! If you've managed to get a Byron P-40 up and down in one piece then the TF shouldn't have any surprises for you. (Other than you might be surprised at how much better it flies than the Byron!) The following advice is probably nothing you have not heard before but here is my approach to test flying. I think this is good advice for most any airplane but particularly so a heavily loaded warbird.

1. Be absolutely certain that your engine is running reliably. Don't even think about flying with a balky engine.

2. Have a plan for the test flight and stick to it. Plan ahead for any contingencies. For example, know ahead of time what you're going to do in the event of an engine out on take off. Make a conscious decision to let the airplane build up plenty of speed on take off and then do whatever is necessary to make that happen. In other words don't let it make a hard left turn when the tail comes up and then get nervous and yank it off the ground as I've seen happen so many times. If things start to get out of hand make the decision ahead of time that you are going to chop the throttle and start over. I normally set a bit of down elevator on my warbirds for the test flight just to be absolutely certain they don't get airborne prematurely.

3. Assuming everything is functioning normally during the test flight make it a point to do some slow flight testing at altitude, flaps up and down, to get a feel for the airplane around the stall. This will also let you know how your engine is going to react to extended periods at low throttle. If it's going to load up and quit better to find that out while two mistakes high rather than on landing when you decide you need to go around!

4. Don't let the airplane psyche you out. While it is a bit more demanding than some it is just an airplane and flies quite well. Just be conscious to test the airplane in order to determine its flight envelope and then stay within that envelope.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:09 PM
LQUAN
My Feedback: (17)

I am modeling mine base on the one in black and white photo.

But no such luck in finding detailed photos for her. Not sure if she even still exist. Therefore, I model her after the one in color, with plenty of detailed photos on the web. But she will carry the number of the one in black and white. Everyone who has a P-40 seems to have shark mouth. I want mine to be a little bit different. Not sure why[&o].
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25469.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	1797357   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75103.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	1797358  
Old 09-02-2012, 12:52 AM
spadsriver09
My Feedback: (1)

Sign me up
Old 09-02-2012, 04:16 AM
guamflyer

P-40 driver and Chad are absolutely correct concerning warbird landings..even with my dad's 40, I keep the throttle all the way to the runway..I tried to do three pointers as with lighter planes..... I won't ever do that again..flaps down 1/16down on elev. or is it up, gotta check, it's trimmed in already. touch mains first, roll till the tail comes down..even on the take-off roll , keep her straight as possible build plenty speed , at 30 to 50 feet, retract wheels then slow bank to be sure I'm good..wing loading on the koyosho is about 23-24 ozs per sq inch. the topflite birds use the Selig 8036 at 16% i believe..wash-out is also incorporated..the kyosho flys at98 mm cg but I'll double check again. I tend to fly the 40 as scale-like as possible..less bad things seem to happen....

SLOPE FAST - SOAR DEEP
guamflyer

Old 09-02-2012, 04:36 AM
P-40 DRIVER

One of the things that causes problem in the TF P-40 is that there is so much rollcoupling that if you trim the rudder for high power, it will be out of trim and roll when you pull the power off ie landing. I compensated for this by using a throttle rudder mix. The plane has its quirks which become less evident if you keep you r speed up. If it requires alot of correction on approach, you are to slow. Power on approach is required. I will post a list of my opinions on the TF kit P-40 when I get chance.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:36 AM
mobyal

OK, sign me up!
I know the attached isn't anywhere near to those posted, but here are some pics of my H9 50-sized P-40B. W/s is 55.5", electric power as recommended by H9 Epower 52 w/ 80amp ESC and EFlite rotating retracts.
I know the markings etc aren't true to scale, and it isn't modeled after any particular prototype, but I like it and the white helps old eyes! Callie Graphics did the decals....
It flies just great and does attract attention at the field.
If you want something that's easy to put together, looks pretty good and is a super flyer, I recommend this one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37113.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	379.5 KB
ID:	1797455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79198.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1797456   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75706.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	1797457   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62089.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	1797458  
Old 09-02-2012, 10:59 AM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: P-40 DRIVER
One of the things that causes problem in the TF P-40 is that there is so much rollcoupling...
Great point P-40 DRIVER and one I had forgotten to address in my post. My airplane took a substantial amount of cross controlling on take off as the rudder correction needed to keep it straight would also cause the airplane to roll to the right. Things could get real interesting in cross wind situations! I think this is the one warbird in their line that Top Flite put the scale amount of dihedral in and it's probably the one that would have benefitted most from a slight reduction! For sure it will work you hard during axial or point rolls but, then again, so would the full size I imagine.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:13 PM
WARBIRDRCER

Welcome to the P-40 Brotherhood,

Numbers:
21. spadsriver09 IN, USA
22. mobyal VA, USA
Old 09-02-2012, 12:26 PM
WARBIRDRCER

Thank you for all of the feedback on the 1/7 scale TF P-40. As a lot of you, I have conducted several first flights for people on various birds and adding more knowledge to ones self can save several hours of repair and/or total replacement.

It is amazing how you can approach the flight line with a seemingly small aircraft that has the potential to teach you a lesson in flying after you have been flying giant scale planes with success. Also it is good to be reminded of this by others operating with-in your own scale heavily wing loaded discipline.

Thanks all,
Old 09-02-2012, 12:39 PM
P-40 DRIVER

Long nose, alot of dihedral and a small tail does make it interesting. Did you try a mix to help with roll coupling or just ride it out with your thumbs. I think using the Curtiss fix of lengthing the fuselage would not be bad idea and bring the dihedral down to 4 degrees would help also. A little more washout would help as well. I think the main lesson with the P-40 was keep it away from a stall at all costs. Mine was very nose heavy and still had a vicious stall.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:56 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

so do I have to currently own a P40 to be in the brotherhood? paaaaalleeeeeze help a brotha out. I own about 30 warbirds and cant a P40 hiding no where in the lot?
Old 09-02-2012, 01:07 PM
WARBIRDRCER

ORIGINAL: Ram-bro

so do I have to currently own a P40 to be in the brotherhood? paaaaalleeeeeze help a brotha out. I own about 30 warbirds and cant a P40 hiding no where in the lot?
Welcome to the P-40 Brotherhood #23
Old 09-02-2012, 01:49 PM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

My first P-40 was a Cox control-line plane about 1968, or so.

Current P-40's are both Top Flite ARF's. The smaller one has the engine out and has been in the hands of a guy in Illinois for 4 months claiming it cannot be fixed. The bigger one remains a "Hangar Queen" til the weather cools down a bit around here.

I don't mind a little roll couple from the rudder. I have lost ailerons on a plane or two and it's good to know I can still get it home.

Sign me up, too! I think I can afford the membership dues!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.