Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

P-40 Brotherhood (All P-40's Welcome)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

P-40 Brotherhood (All P-40's Welcome)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 06:48 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Corsair2013
If you get into that situation should you NOT touch the ailerons and only the rudder?
Anytime you are flying at a high angle of attack you are likely to stall a wing tip by applying too much aileron input. It's always best to use rudder as the primary control when taking off...especially with a P-40. There's something about this design that can cause them to really be squirrelly near the stall.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:30 PM
Corsair2013
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks radfordc - I have been trying to keep my fat finger off the ailerons during take off but my biggest problem is being stupid and flying in tight areas. You get the fever to fly and the ground is either snow or mud so we go on a wide road but when you have a problem no room for error.

Keith
Old 03-12-2014, 05:06 AM
radfordc

You could do like it did and install a gyro on the rudder to help with the workload.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:35 AM
Hawk131

This was a gradual turn to the Left and the AOA was no different than my normal take offs. I also don't fly in confined places, the nearest house is a mile away, it is possible maby the wasn't enough speed combined with a cross wind hitting the right side of the plane that did it. As for a gryo I wo had rather not use one.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:57 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawk131
This was a gradual turn to the Left and the AOA was no different than my normal take offs. I also don't fly in confined places, the nearest house is a mile away, it is possible maby the wasn't enough speed combined with a cross wind hitting the right side of the plane that did it. As for a gryo I wo had rather not use one.
I have been following this and wonder if you have simply duplicated several (some of them well known) rider scale crashes.

One of the continually seen problems in aviation is the incident caused by the pilot not noticing, being aware of, or caring about wind direction reversals. Gusting winds tend to wander rather than be down one compass line. That means they can suddenly (or possibly always were- and that is the hidden danger) be come tail winds and a gusting tail wind at rotation point may you well beyond normal AOA and may cause you to enter a sudden and unexpected stall. In general one of the most used methods to deal with this is higher liftoff/touchdown speeds.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:21 AM
Hawk131

That has been my only explanation of what happened, if you can eliminate all causes except of weather it has to be weather. That end of the runway is one of hardest ends to take off because there is a drop off and the wind can roll just past it. Thanks for all of the input ya'll I will try to use rudder next time I have a problem like that. She will fly next weekend it wasn't a bad touch down just would have been fine if there wasn't the railroad tie. But it was better that letting it fly over the pit area on the other runway.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:21 PM
Dash7ATP

Originally Posted by Corsair2013
Dash - it sounds like you know about stalls - me too but I am afraid I did the same thing. Recently had a tail wheel go crazy - it came loose and I was flying from a tight area - "stupid". She turned hard to the left and not much room before a curb so I had to pull up before I hit a good speed on my Corsair. She went in the same on left wing with full right aileron and only a bit of rudder - STUPID AGAIN!

If you get into that situation should you NOT touch the ailerons and only the rudder?

Keith
Rudder will be very effective due to the fact that it's in the prop slipstream, and the ailerons are not. Try this. Go to a comfortable altitude and slow the plane down as if you were going to stall it. Move the ailerons to full travel back and forth travel and see how sluggish it responds. Then do the same with rudder. I think that will answer your question. Just be prepared for the model to stall and fall off into a spin. That's why I mention a comfortable altitude.

Dash
Old 03-12-2014, 01:27 PM
108buzz

Up for sale, local pick up only. New Jersey $3000.00
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0649.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	2.58 MB
ID:	1977510  
Old 03-13-2014, 07:11 AM
Corsair2013

Nice looking plane. Long drive from Utah..........

It looks brand new.

Keith
Old 03-13-2014, 07:27 AM
Duplicator41
My Feedback: (1)

What's included? Details on the manufacturer?
Old 03-13-2014, 11:51 AM
108buzz

ESM 50cc P-40, DLE 55, Keleo scale exhaust, ESM V3 retracts, Hitec metal gear servos (Forget what #'s)
Old 03-13-2014, 01:43 PM
Fly2XS
My Feedback: (65)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to put this ad in the Classifieds!
I hear they have rules about posting in threads.

Originally Posted by 108buzz
Up for sale, local pick up only. New Jersey $3000.00
Old 03-19-2014, 07:26 PM
WARBIRDRCER
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A lot of words, but Food for thought,

I would guess all have used ailerons on take-off at times. How many times have you had to correct a low wing condition on lift off, or had to push the nose over green and roll level to obtain airspeed.

While reading this think of the forces acting on the plane with the control inputs.

1. Ailerons control Roll
2. Rudder control Yaw
3. Elevator controls Pitch

If taking-off in a crosswind you should use ailerons. Just as with full scale aircraft, prior to adding power apply full aileron to counter the crosswind. As aircraft speed increases start to release the aileron leaving just enough in to counter the crosswind forces trying to roll your plane. While you are doing this maintain directional control with the rudder. If the plane is attempting to fly green, apply a touch of down elevator to stick the plane on the runway till your desired take-off speed is achieved.

The aileron input will assist in keeping the wing down preventing the crosswind from rolling you.

The rudder input will control direction on the ground, and as the plane gets lighter it may even crab into the wind some, but don’t worry as long as the plane is tracking straight you are okay.

The elevator input will control the pitch, so while on the ground down elevator will place the wing at an angle that creates down pressure on the plane. You will find as you relax the elevator as speed increases the plane will fly off the runway nicely. I caution you to not abruptly release the elevator because this could cause the plane to leap into the air. This takes practice, but once you get the feel you will be able to keep the plane on the ground a bit longer making your take-offs look more scale.

Okay, what about the models that flew for years without ailerons? I am glad you asked.

Let’s consider a right rudder input. What happens?

The plane first starts to yaw to the right causing the left wing to advance into the relative wind, while the right wing retreats, thus causing the left wing to generate more lift than the right wing, which causes a roll to the right while the ailerons are neutral.

Here is a little visual exercise for you:

1. Start by placing your hand in a nose up, left bank position.

So what could happen if the plane comes off green with the left wing down with the nose high and you apply right rudder to correct?

First consider that for the plane to fly off the runway green up elevator is applied, so a left bank with up elevator means you are entering a left turn.

2. Now start a slow left turn with your hand.

Now before the plane will start a right roll because of right rudder input while banked to the left it first must yaw enough to the right beyond centerline direction of flight placing the right wing aft of the relative wind before the left wing can create enough lift to cause a roll to the right. Without lowering the nose what position is the plane in at this point?

3. Now while making your nose high left turn with your hand start rotating your wrist to the right as if right rudder has been applied. Remember the rudder controls yaw, not roll. As you can see you are now nose high (up elevator), banked left, but yawing to the right.

I think you see where this is going. With the nose high, left wing down, you are now skidding the tail to the left which could blank out what air flow you have over the right wing, so if you are slow enough you just stalled your right wing and the left wing rolls you on your back. Ever seen that happen to someone and wondered how it snapped to the right or left on take-off?

I hope this is worded correctly enough so your airplane hand gives you a picture of what is taking place. The key to overcoming this is flying time. I can assure you I will still dumb thumb at the most inopportune time, but at least I can walk to the accident and not be carried from it.

Have fun and lets get to flying.

Last edited by WARBIRDRCER; 03-19-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:41 AM
Corsair2013

Can I put my hand down now? I have a cramp............ LOL

Great way to explain it - I did just what you just showed.

My friend watching and I both said the same thing - "man that snap rolled in quick!! I wonder what caused that".................

Now we know

thanks

Keith
Old 03-20-2014, 09:00 AM
jet22b

#1;
Did you every do any teaching???
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 03-20-2014, 10:25 AM
P51NUT

WARBIRRCER

What a great way to explain it.
I hope to see you flying your P40 soon
Old 03-20-2014, 11:07 AM
radfordc

Originally Posted by WARBIRDRCER

Okay, what about the models that flew for years without ailerons? I am glad you asked.

Let’s consider a right rudder input. What happens?

The plane first starts to yaw to the right causing the left wing to advance into the relative wind, while the right wing retreats, thus causing the left wing to generate more lift than the right wing, which causes a roll to the right while the ailerons are neutral.
Here is a very clear illustration of why yawing a plane with positive dihedral in the wings causes the plane to roll. The fact that one wing is advancing and the other retreating may create a tiny difference in airspeed, however, this effect isn't what is causing the strong rolling force. Rather its the difference in angle of attack of the wings that is the major factor. You can see here that the advancing wing is meeting the relative wind at a much greater AoA and therefore is producing much greater lift.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Dihedral_3.png
Views:	58
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	1979811  
Old 03-20-2014, 07:58 PM
WARBIRDRCER

Sonny, good to hear from you, it’s been awhile. How are your projects coming along? I am still plugging along to with mine. Seems like everything but planes are on my list lately.Oh, the answer to your teaching question is yes. All aviation related, and what a blast I have with it. Currently I sub at a local aviation maintenance school, but prior to that I conducted FAA safety meetings for pilots and maintenance technicians at my full time job.

P51Nut, do you have your bags packed for your trip home from the desert?
I sure need your help at the hanger, but not with the plane at the moment. I have a new truck, well new to me, but I have to rebuild the engine to use it. Larry’s 99 Z-71 Chevy popped the engine, and I acquired it for a little future plane work. I am looking forward to some formation time with your P-51 or P-47 and my P-40s too.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:02 PM
WARBIRDRCER

radfordc, Thanks for the rudder/yaw information. Say, I see you are from KS. How far are you from Oklahoma City? Maybe we could meet at a fly-in this season.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:00 AM
radfordc

I've been thinking about the Edmonds flyin in June. I will probably make it.

Edit....I meant Guthrie...not Edmond

Last edited by radfordc; 03-21-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:06 PM
WARBIRDRCER

Great, I will be there too. You can set up next to me, and I can save you a spot. I can also intro you to all the local guys there. Been flying with them for years. The Sooner Squad is a great group of guys.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:39 PM
radfordc

I met Rich Richardson from Enid at Eureka Springs last year. I think he will be there too.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:38 PM
WARBIRDRCER

I know Rich also, and he is normally at the Jumbo. I visited with the Sooner Squad guys this morning at a local swap meet. There will be some nice equipment there to see fly to, they are always up to something new.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:54 PM
LordAndreas

I'd love to join the Brotherhood too ! I just received my plans from Ziroli on a 94" P40 Warhawk and just waiting (impatiently) for my full wood kit to arrive from Precision Cuts. I'm going to put in a DA85, Sierra retracts, working canopy, lights and as much detail as my meticulous self can create. This is gonna be a blast !
Old 03-23-2014, 08:14 PM
Corsair2013

Warbirdrcer - are there any P-40 Brotherhood Patches available or did anyone every get some designed or made?

I would like a patch or sticker / or both if they are out there.

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.