Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

The Bosses Vulcan

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 10:14 AM
alanc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Bosses Vulcan

Chairman of our Large Model Association has just test flown his superb 20% scale Vulcan bomber, it was flown at the historic airfield where the full size was finish assembled, and test flown
Woodford is also the birthplace of such legends as the Lancaster, Shacklton, and a few airliners,and a lot more besides, it was recently sold to a heritage group, and they have good intentions for the site,
We are blessed to be allowed to fly on this site,
Just a word about how these large models work, over 42lb, they have to be examined by qualified examiners atvarious stages of the build, then test flown for 6 flights, where the envelope is explored,(they are flown as they will be flown in shows) super size models, like the Vulcan, have to do 12 flights, this video is its 6th, the model is in the markings of the resident Vulcan, XM603, this is purely a static full size, and is to undergo re-furbishment (washed) i hope you enjoy the size of this model, it is in every way, just like the full size, span is 21foot, and it has 4 turbines
there is a build thread of this awsome model on the LMA site, where you will also see more pictures of this model, by the waY, its a KIT FULLY LASER CUT, surely one for the guiness book of records?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqbEV...ature=youtu.be
Old 09-03-2012, 10:24 AM
Warbird Man
My Feedback: (95)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: The Bosses Vulcan

Awesome!!
Old 09-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You Brits do it the riht way.....Is the Vulcan considered a flying wing or a delta?
Old 09-03-2012, 12:55 PM
alanc

Shes a Delta,
Another fact about her, we have one flying in private hands, its a british icon, and very well loved, after her multi million rebuild, and constant swallowing funds, she continues to grace our skies, this weekend is the Vulcans 60th anniversary, she will be flying both days at a local airshow, then, on sunday, while making her way home, she will be doing low level flypasts at her 2 birthplaces, Chadderton, & Woodford, guess who will be at the side of the runway!!!!!!!! CANT WAIT, imagine a B52 in private hands??? even though the only bombs she dropped in anger where iron bombs, on the falklands, she has been a deterrant for all this time, many are preserved in museums, some even breath fire with fast taxi runs, there where three V bombers, the Vulcan, Victor, and the Valiant, Valiant had an early demise, developing metal fatigue in the wing box, we have all three preserved in the cold war museum, at RAF Cosford, well worth a google

Old 09-03-2012, 07:23 PM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice!

Jeff
Old 09-03-2012, 09:25 PM
Redback

Back when I was living in the UK I worked for a pipeline company and for a while was working just (and I mean just) across the road from RAF Waddington. The Vulcans used to taxi just across from where we were working and spool up before starting their take off run. Awesome, you could just about feel the ground shake.

The Vulcan was also used as a test bed for the Concord's Olympus engines, with one slung under the bomb bay.

All in all a very special aircraft.

Terry