Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

glow to electric conversion

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

glow to electric conversion

Old 09-05-2012, 01:36 PM
Radical Departure
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: glow to electric conversion

I fly a mix of Eflite, AXI, Turnigy, Hacker and a few misc. brands. I tend to fly Eflite and others on 1/4 scale and below to keep some costs down, but always fly Hacker on the larger expensive birds. Hacker cost a bit more, but the products are very robust, dependable, powerful, and support, if its ever needed, is great. Currently running a Hacker A60-14L on a 23lb. Porter, pulls it through the air with little effort. Never had any problems with any of the other brands, tho I do think that Eflite ESC's (40 & up) work great, but they seem a bit long and cumbersome, and would rather the switch be an option, plus its on too short of a lead.

Have had couple issues with the switches on Eflite ESC's... i.e., if I plug up the battery but don't turn the switch on within a couple moments, I'll lose binding, if I turn it on within a few moments then back off, it all stays good. If I don't turn the switch on, at the same time the backlight on the radio goes out is when the receiver will lose binding. Odd indeed. If I turn the switch on and plug up, everything stays solid. Very strange, and have only experienced this using Eflite larger ESC's with Spektrum receivers bound to JR radio. Not been able to replicate on Jeti, Hacker or CC ESC's. I still fly Eflite ESC's, I really like their switched ESC's, I just have to pay attention that I don't lose binding plugging up... once powered up and in the air its all spot on, no glitching etc.. go figure..
Old 09-05-2012, 01:46 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: glazier808

ORIGINAL: da Rock

AXI is another top mfg. They don't seem available anymore however.
not quite correct...Hobbylobby has the full line of AXI motors.

Casey

Oohhhh ... excellent news
Old 09-05-2012, 02:18 PM
llindsey1965
My Feedback: (-1)

why do you want to go electric ? you fly 15 minutes then you have to charge unless you have extra batteries $$$$$$ i fly gas and fly 10 times for 18 minutes a flight , dont understand the thinking behind this !!!!!! electrics are ok if that is what you want , we have a few guys at the field who fly them , more gas and nitro , we have 135 members anyway just a thought !!!! i will never go electric !!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40424.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	1798705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76432.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	1798706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71476.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	1798707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le92666.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	1798708  
Old 09-05-2012, 04:38 PM
check6ii
My Feedback: (12)

I just p/u a copy of electric flight magazine. One section is dedicated to a 73in esm corsair glow to elec. conversion. It evidently has a sound system to try and make a radial engine sound. I dont know abt that......The DB-605 has a very distinct sound. Nothing sounds like that Daimler stuffer on a 109!!!!!
Old 09-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's my buds Sean's plane, he did an amazing job on that plane!! He had it forsale here, I think it may have sold already I don't see it.

The sound systems are a lot of fun. I had to try one, it's expensive and adds about a pound to a plane but they are pretty amazing to fly.

Here is my Top Flight GS P-51 it runs a big AXI 5345 on 12s... 5000 or 6500 it's a hell of a setup

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE-S4fUAgK4&list=UUZs_85GBgFakA1dJ1oKqyhA&index=7&feature=plcp[/youtube]
Old 09-06-2012, 07:05 AM
check6ii
My Feedback: (12)

Very nicely done Ron. That puppy flies very well.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:22 AM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks bud [&:] I'm pretty proud of that plane

why do you want to go electric ? you fly 15 minutes then you have to charge unless you have extra batteries $$$$$$ i fly gas and fly 10 times for 18 minutes a flight , dont understand the thinking behind this !!!!!! electrics are ok if that is what you want , we have a few guys at the field who fly them , more gas and nitro , we have 135 members anyway just a thought !!!! i will never go electric !!!

To each there own, and yes there + and -'s to each side of the coin. I can give you a few reasons I love electric's. First off times have really changed, with newer packs and chargers I can't fly as fast as I can charge packs. If i were to only bring two planes and one flight pack per plane, that were charged... I fly the first plane. As soon as I land I put the packs on a 2c or 3c charge which is mild these days, thay can go up to 5c. So a 5000 mah pack at 10 amps takes 25 minutes. While that's going on I fly the second plane... by the time I land, pull the packs and take a quick break the next set is ready.
I can do this all day non stop and fly my butt off...... my new charger can charge at 40 amps and 1400 watts.. with as many packs as I want at once. So there is no down time if well planned.

Then here some things I like that have all been said before:

No fuel mess on the plane, I flew glow and gas for 10 years and most planes were soaked with fuel after a season and the covering would lift. Now my plane last much longer and look new.
No starting the plane with a starter or my hand just flip the switch and your off
No tuning motors or breaking them in or bad glow plugs, air bubbles in lines, and leaky tanks or a messed up clunk... electrics run the same everyday
No vibration to ruin your scale details and break apart your cockpit and plane
No holes in the cowl for a big old motor to hang out and ruin a scale cowl
IMHO a big prop ripping the air sounds more like a real plane than a 2 stroke gas motor and sound systems take it to the next level. (the new gas radail engine sound amazing!! have to give you that big bucks)

I could go on and on.... there is something to love about all types of planes. You have to do what makes you happy and not worry what others do, I do electric becuase I really love it. I like that fact that it's getting better all the time and really is the future. Almost all the new guys coming into the hobby are flying electric, it's what they will teach there kids to fly on.... over the years you will see less and less fuel powered planes. That the trend I've been seeing for the last 10 with no sign of that changing in the future

Old 09-06-2012, 10:58 AM
da Rock

Yup, there are reasons for every power system. And they've been hashed over and bashed over way more than enough.

So this thread is about a glow to electric conversion. Sticking to that topic.....

I chose the motor for my conversion of a H9 60 size P47 Thunderbolt based on it's weight and how that model had been hauled around by an OS91.

The OS91 was more than needed. The weight was 7lb-11ounces and the model would do over 100mph. It didn't need to go 100mph at all. So I started looking for something in electric motors that'd have power something like a 2-stroke glow .70 would have. Since nobody much advertises that size my final selection of the RimFire 80 was kickstarted from the "80" being close enough to take the time to read the specs.

There is a rule of thumb about watts/pound applied to the weight of your model. 100 watts will fly most things reliably, although somewhat slowly. 200watts will fly for sure, and do aerobatics. 300watts should do whatever you want to do. Since the Thunderbolt is about 8 pounds, I was looking for motor specs claiming 2000 or so watts. The RimFire .80 specs say it can punch out 2200watts. There you go.....

The specs also call for a 60A ESC. I got a Castle Creations 75. There you go...

The specs say the motor can spin a 15x6 or 15x8. I want to run a 14x7 three blade for looks and performance. There you go.... The OS91 gave both in spades. I'm expecting both in diamond or hearts at least.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:00 AM
tuchadwick59
My Feedback: (31)

Here is a great build Thread we are doing on an electric Yellow P-38 with massive sound system. Also has videos of the benedini system on Corsair and P-40. SonicBoomRC.com is getting ready to launch the new Benedini systems in the US and they are doing it cheap. Less than half the cost of the AeroSoundRC prices.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11512557/anchors_11528987/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#11528987