Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nitro proof paint

Looking to repaint the fuse on my fabric covered albatross. What paint will be mostly nitro proof? Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Nitro proof paint

Butyrate Dope, Warbird Colors, & Klass Kote are all designed to work with nitro fuels. I've also seen the Klass Kote clear used over the top of automotive paints to make them nitro resistant. I'm sure there are other options that will be offered up as well.

Rustoleum paints are fuel proof available at Home-Cheapo and Wally World. There are a few Olive Drab colors available too.
    KEEP UM FLYIN

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nelsons

I thought Nitrate dope was not "glow fuel proof" and Butyrate was fuel proof. At least that's what I remember from way back flying control line in the late 50's and 60's.
    obsessed Stuka D3 nut

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: tunakuts3d

I thought Nitrate dope was not "glow fuel proof" and Butyrate was fuel proof. At least that's what I remember from way back flying control line in the late 50's and 60's.
    Iwould have to agree:Nitrate is not fuel proof.

Dash
    "When you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

AMA # 8870, Member since 1978.
    Waco Brotherhood # 219.
    P-40 Brotherhood #8.

I think part of the problem is in what we mean when we use the word "fuel". Fuel can be regular gasoline, Kerosene jet fuel, nitro blended glow fuel. When one is talking about "fuel proof" finishes it is important to be very specific as to EXACTLY what type of fuel you want the finish to withstand or be impervious to. My $.02 worth.
    obsessed Stuka D3 nut

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think it is a common misconception that Rustoleum is nitro proof. In it's modern form it definitely is not, at least not to 15% nitro fuel which is what a lot of us use. From what I understand, in it's heyday Rustoleum was quite fuel proof but then Big Brother madated the elimination of most of the VOCs that were in spray paint so now it is just as un-nitro-proof as the rest of the off the shelf brands.

I have small drops of 15% nitro on spinners that I have painted with Rustoleum and the paint bubbled in seconds. Top Flite Lustrekote is nitro proof to about 20%, but it stinks to high heaven so for your lungs' sake only use it outside. I typically use clear satin finish Minwax spray polyuretane to nitro proof any paint job that I do. Holds up quite well.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Dash7ATP

I thought Nitrate dope was not ''glow fuel proof'' and Butyrate was fuel proof.Ā* Ā*At least that's what I remember from way back flying control line in the late 50's and 60's.
    IĀ*would have to agree:Ā*Nitrate is not fuel proof.Ā*

Dash
    Sorry for the confusion gents, post corrected. I've never used anything other than Butyrate myself. Not sure where I came up with the idea that Nitrate was nitro proof.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think part of the problem is in what we mean when we use the word ''fuel''.

Just to be clear the OP used the term "nitro proof" rather than fuel proof.

ORIGINAL: STUKA BARRY

Rustoleum paints are fuel proof available at Home-Cheapo and Wally World. There are a few Olive Drab colors available too.
    what type of fuel are you refering to whenyousay rustoleum paints are fuel proof?
    obsessed Stuka D3 nut

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: STUKA BARRY

I have found a few select colors of Rustoleum that seem to be resistant to nitro fuels up to about 15% but not all of them by any stretch. Particularly the metallic colors are definitely not! (Ask me how I know.)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

I've also seen the Klass Kote clear used over the top of automotive paints to make them nitro resistant.

+1 I have done this on a recent project and it has proven to be Nitro resistant at least up to 20%. Now i wouldn't leave it covered in Nitro for Days at a time.

-Tracey aka Pilotx
    CORSAIR Brotherhood # 62

Are you sayingIcould use most anypaint as an undercoatif I lightly buffed it with 400 grit and then applied a coat (or two or three) of the Minwax urethane? I'm not doubting you, just gettting clarification for future project use. The urethane should/would act like a clear coat protection?
    ORIGINAL: irocbsa

I think it is a common misconception that Rustoleum is nitro proof. In it's modern form it definitely is not, at least not to 15% nitro fuel which is what a lot of us use. From what I understand, in it's heyday Rustoleum was quite fuel proof but then Big Brother madated the elimination of most of the VOCs that were in spray paint so now it is just as un-nitro-proof as the rest of the off the shelf brands.

I have small drops of 15% nitro on spinners that I have painted with Rustoleum and the paint bubbled in seconds. Top Flite Lustrekote is nitro proof to about 20%, but it stinks to high heaven so for your lungs' sake only use it outside. I typically use clear satin finish Minwax spray polyuretane to nitro proof any paint job that I do. Holds up quite well.
    Intelligence is similar to a dress code. Dont attend a black tie affair wearing cutoffs and a tank top. Know your facts

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: irocbsa

Not unless they've changed it in the last couple years. I use gloss Rustoleum on my plastic SPADs and it holds up well with no top coat. I think maybe the problem is there are several *types* of Rustoleum now and folks aren't getting the right thing. But maybe it's changed recently and the paint I have is still the old forumla.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Normally fuel proof was used to coincide with nitro fuels way back.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich
    I have found a few select colors of Rustoleum that seem to be resistant to nitro fuels up to about 15% but not all of them by any stretch. Particularly the metallic colors are definitely not! (Ask me how I know.)
    Correct. The metallics have never been "nitro fuel proof". To my knowledge, these are the only ones that are nitro proof:

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=24

I have also used the Walmart brand paint and a couple others..... basically, if they're the gloss enamels, they work well if you give them a couple weeks to cure. Any of the "for plastic" paints or anything other than the stinky old gloss oil enamels won't work.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So will the flat protective enamels be nitro resistant too? Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Warbird Colors. The best there is. You wont regret it-
    \"I dont have an attitude, rather, you have a perception problem\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jefflangton

So will the flat protective enamels be nitro resistant too? Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated!
    I don't think so..... it's only the GLOSS, but I can't say for sure. Everything I've ever seen has said only the GLOSS and that's all I've ever used and they have worked ok for me.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: check6ii

Warbird Colors. The best there is. You wont regret it-
    I do have to say...... I've used Rustoleum successfully but I fly mostly SPADs. They fly GREAT, but they're plastic and they're cheap. I might have a few days in an airframe where a balsa kit might have you a few MONTHS in an airframe. I also do some woodworking and know a couple days of finish can ruin a couple weeks of work. If it's "your baby" I wouldn't try to get by on the cheap on the covering or the finish.... you'll be disappointed. I'm one of those who likes to get by on "the cheap" not because I'm cheap, but because I like trying out "new stuff" which is one of the reason I like flying SPADs. But I wouldn't recommend trying to get by on "the cheap" when you've put a bunch of time into "your baby"..... I'm just sayin'. Use Warbird Colors, or some type of urethane, or some auto finish or whatever. ESPECIALLY if it's your first, or if you're the nervous type, or you don't like experimenting or whatever. "A finish can cost as much as a beginning." But it's worth it, because it's all part of the process if that's your thing. And yes, I just made that up, and yes, I probably should TM that.

with all the choices out there,especially with the many types, names ,specific use's, etc.,etc.,that rustoleum has on the market; not to mention the wide variety of rattle can paints that can be had at wal mart or auto parts stores ,I think that unless you're using a product that is specifically marketed to the model airplane enthusiast like Klass coat or Warbird colors to name a couple,one should always do a TEST panel before using something on your plane. Even when a fellow modeler shows you his good results with one type of product and you purchase the same, theres still a chance the manufacturer may have changed the formula and your results could be very different. Again just my opinion.
    obsessed Stuka D3 nut

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have recently tried some epoxy appliance paint that I picked up at home depot. The black has worked great however the white seems to be fuel proof but it stains a pink color. I use 10% Omega fuel. I have only seen 3 colors, black, almond, and off white.
    KaP2011
    AMA #408493
    SPA #521
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #110
    Spitfire Brotherhood # 193

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I contacted WarBirdColors twice recently inquiring about ordering some paint, and I never received an answer.
    The website is sill on, but mentions supply problems. Has anybody ordered successfully from WBC in the recent past?
    If so, how?

Thank you