Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Robart Landing gears Vs other ones for Ziroli P38

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Robart Landing gears Vs other ones for Ziroli P38

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 10:06 AM
Props4ever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Robart Landing gears Vs other ones for Ziroli P38

I like to ask guy who are currently building Ziroli P38s or have and are flying them what is your landing gear brand preferences.
Do you guys like Robarts landing gear offering or any other better brand over Robo landing gears.
In coming months, i might want to looking into this aspect so thought i'd ask around.

Pros and Cons of Robart Landing gears over other brand available like Century jet models.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:35 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Robart Landing gears Vs other ones for Ziroli P38

Robarts are good, much better than Century Jet used to be. I know that some folks have said that CJ has improved lately, but I have not had any of their products in 10 years. The current batch of Robarts seem to get worn and sloppy quicker than they used to. They do not break, or fail to function, they just seem to develop slop quicker these days. Sierra is probably the best looking and highest quality, but getting them can be troublesome at times.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:23 AM
Props4ever

How are Sierra gears Vs both CJM and Robarts....

I didn't like the wall thickness's of the main mounting brackets on Robats, kinda looks on very thin side and weak on main landing gears.
Plus whole assembly didn't give me good solid feeling about them.....
Old 09-14-2012, 12:08 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Sierra are the best, hands down. If you want durability etc. those are what you want.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:16 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

ORIGINAL: BobH

Sierra are the best, hands down. If you want durability etc. those are what you want.
And allot of headache's if you ever need after sales support!
Old 09-14-2012, 06:00 PM
91zulu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are also Shindin and Likes Line. These 2 are better than Robarts and from the last time I use CJM, better than those too. Some how these two companies don`t ever get mentioned even though their gears are much better than Robarts.

http://www.shindinmachine.com/

http://www.thelikesline.com/
Old 09-14-2012, 06:12 PM
91zulu

And BTW, when you go to these guys sites , you probably will not see gears for the Ziroli P38 but they can do a set for you. They are not like Robart or CJM with a stock of different gears on the shelf waiting. You have to call them and ask for what it is you want and then they will make it, quite often in a couple of days for simple stuff like the P38. Now if one wants a set of Wildcat gears that is a different story.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:34 PM
flyingpiggy

Hi there from New Zealand
I purchased a ZP38 3\4 completed. This model is fitted with Robart retracts {as specified on the plans} and I have found that with the specified 5" aloy wheels & pneumatic tyres, the gear doors {just}foul on the retracted wheels and that when retracted the wheel also fouls on the adjacent boom former - requiring some re-sculpting. The wheels also seem to be too far to one side despite mounting the UC as far to the other side as possible.
I also note that the drawings show that the UC is mounted onto the top of the gear plate, thus the only thing keeping the UC on, is the wood in the screw threads - perhaps this is to make the system somewhat repairable?
I further noted that the {wooden} booms seem to have an inherant weakness. The aft end of the wing cutout is in the same general area as the aft end of the gear door cutout. So looking from the side, there are not one but two notch break failure pionts in that area of each boom. I will use a couple of layers of 2oz glass cloth & epoxy on the booms extending to the aft edges of the boom radiators - hopefully I can hide the blend line in this way.
I urge you to checkout the brilliant P38 build log by GPETE here on RCU. His work here is my inspiration.

Regards
Dave Read
Christchurch
New Zealand
Old 09-15-2012, 09:09 AM
kram
My Feedback: (7)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Amen on the G-Pete thread.

Sierra by far the strongest and prettiest and most reliable

More expensive, but many times worth it.

Robart good: certainly OK if all your landings are smooth Easier to get replacement parts if they aren't smooth.

I have no experience with the others

Order your Sierra gear early.

Unless he just happens to have a set in stock, manufacturing them can take a while.

mt
Old 09-15-2012, 02:52 PM
G-Pete

It is acually pretty simple, wood booms light build - you can get away with Robarts. If you use the fiberglass booms and build that bird a little more scale (flaps, top hinged ailerons, alu wheels and landing gear doors), with other words more heavy 50 to 55 pounds - you need the Sierra gear. UP6 and UP3 valve controllers round that picture up.
I bent two front forks (really hard landings, if you want call that landings hahaha) and Darrel replaced them both time in fast manner and reasonable.
To have the right stance, P-38 with full ammo boxes, you have to mount the front gear on the top plate.

This is also no problem for the gear....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8IjW1KezDE&feature=plcp[/youtube]

Old 09-15-2012, 11:12 PM
Props4ever

Thanks guys for your inputs, i see either it's Sierra on higher end or Robart's on middle or reasonable end.

I have leads on both types at this time let see which ones i get in the end.

G-Pete thanks for posting on this thread, i tried to look for ur P-38's build thread but couldn't find it, can you pls link it here so i can go through it. Thanks
Old 09-16-2012, 05:36 AM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Although I do have some Robart and Sierra gear sets, Shindin usually gets all my business for retracts...I have a custom dual strut set for my Mosquito that are set up at 110 degree range of motion, and if the plane ever bites it, I will take those main gear, replace the struts, and put them right into a Z P38 and have total confidence that they will be great. I am familiar with the Robart and Sierra gear for the P38 and, all things considered, I would still give my business to Shindin. I have always been treated right over the span of a dozen years or more and that holds a lot of weight for my decision making.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:18 AM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

go with lenny , at shindin machine, he built some for my bates tempest

heavy duty at a great price and not much delay , as far as the building and shipping
Old 09-16-2012, 01:26 PM
Check6
My Feedback: (427)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree, Lenny at Shindin is great to work with and He answers the phone. Also included free shipping on my custom made retracts. I asked for 1/2 in. tubing on the strut and he used 5/8 tubing with no extra charge. BTW it was his suggestion on the tubing.
Great guy and fast service.
Thanks,
Fred Menna Check6