Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Water Base Primer

Old 01-09-2013, 07:40 AM
bfair67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Base Primer

Has anybody come accross a good water base primer to use under Latex paint, for doing panel lines and a base coat under yellow. I'm doing a Willow Grove Naval Airstation AT-6, from a Yellow Aircraft Kit.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:09 AM
greyfoxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Water Base Primer

While I personally have not tried it yet, there is a great article in the March 2013 issue of Model Airplane News on refinishing a foam P-47.

I am presently refinishing a Park Zone F4U Corsair in two-tone British gray with invasion strips and British Roundels, and wish I'd have seen the article earlier.

The author uses Kilz Latex Primer (about $7 a quart), and brushes on the color (as well as the primer) with foam brushes. This method leaves no brush marks, and I must say, he mad a beautiful foam p-47. He also has the latex color mixed at his local hardware store (Lowes or Home Depot, or - - - perhaps Wally World) for about $3.00 a quart, which is cheaper than Krylon or any of the other spray paints. I've been looking for a good method myself, & this looks promising. If you don't have the March issue of MAN, I would recommend that you purchase a copy as soon as it hits the news stand. It really is an outstanding article for those who fly the foam electric war birds.

And by all means remember; "Experience is a hard teacher. She always gives the test first, and the lesson sometime later!"