Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Corsair: 115

John -

Trust me when I say this - the landings are super easy because the plane is so stable and easy to fly. But thanks anyways !
    IFLYRC - IMAA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: samparfitt

The comparf F4U has a FG frame. They sell individual parts. It's only 110'' so it may fit yours.
    ps: I enjoyed your nice smooth landings.
    Sam -

Thanks for that info.. I know you have one of those sweet Comparf Corsairs... If not too much trouble, could you please measure the width of your cockpit opening. Also the overall length. Thank you!

And - next year.. I would like very much to have you come up to our IMAA meet. This will be our 30TH year of our event.... close to Ann Arbor.... we average 80 to 100 planes every year. Always the second weekend after Labor Day. Come fly with us! A good scale showing is normal.... Jets too!
    website link to one of our events. http://www.flyingpilgrims.com/galler...album=1&page=1
    IFLYRC - IMAA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So .. 55 degrees today.. and virtually no wind, Wonderful day at the flying field.

3 rock solid 10 minute flights today... sunny day, prop singing away... one of those days when you really enjoy flying!

Sort wrung it out a bit. Huge loops, massive split S... super low passes, 4 point rolls.. slooow rolls. The plane is easy to fly and presents very well in the air.

Flew with a couple of Mustangs in an improvised formation fly. Fun stuff! Yep, it is really fast.

Now, time for winter hibernation ... took all the fuel out, ran the engine dry. Now: back to building the Mustang!
    IFLYRC - IMAA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

iflyrc,
    Right now, the F4U is stapled shut in a cocoon of heavy plastic out in my cold detached shop with light bulbs to keep it warm until spring. I'll have to look on my F4U thread as I thought I put the dimensions in one of the posts when I was installing the cockpit.
    It sounds good but Ann Arbor is about 230 miles away from me and that's a lot of driving for me for a one day event as I would be on the road for a total of 9-10 hours.
    I checked out your web site and it looks like you have a real nice field.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mk27446.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	1825701  
    G. Samuel Parfitt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jim You might alsdo want to look at the Meister Corsair canopy, It's hard to tell
    but it looks to have the frame lines molded in:
    http://www.meister-scale.com/Corsair...sairCanopy.jpg

Bill D.
    Founder \"Nosen Cessna 310 Club\"
    Waco Brotherhood # 43
    P-39 Brotherhood # 5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bill-

Thanks for the Miester info - I may just go that route.. always fun talking with Dino..

Sam -

Wow - your planes are truely in hibernation! Have you done the light buld trick before? That's kind of a cool idea.. no pun intended! No issues ?

Our events are always 2 days.. with free lunch for pilots. However, since we are hitting 30 years of an annual IMAA fly in [ maybe the first club to santion 30 years in a row ], We will also be having a free pizza party for pilots Sat night as well.

We are opening the field to visitors Friday actually, so folks can get set up early if they want to get an early start. [Primitive camping allowed on site btw] We do get a lot of spectators since we live in a high population area.

No noon show, it's all about letting the pilots fly. We do a WW I and WW II group fly though. Often 6 to 10 planes, assumming everybody is comfortable flying together. More scale than aerobats .....
    IFLYRC - IMAA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

iflyrc,
    I just don't have room for all my war birds so this is the first time I have left planes out in the cold shop during the winter and I'm hoping the bulbs will keep the batteries from freezing. The temperatures usually don't get real bad here in southern Ohio (was 63 degrees today) but I can always use my small space heater under the plastic should it get too cold.
    The 2nd W/E after labor day so that's Sept 14/15! (I put it on my calendar).
    G. Samuel Parfitt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sam -

For what it's worth - I leave a couple of my "big" planes in the unheated attached garage during the winter months... I charge the batteries and hang them from the ceiling over the old Jeep. I do cover them with some thin plastic, but that's to keep the dirt/dust/bugs off them until the spring.Haven't had any issues to date. Probably never goes below 20 degrees I am guessing though.

Please be careful with that heat and plastic! I do like the plastic storage cocoon though!

Make sure the mice stay out as well - had a buddy who had mice chew and damage his plane in a remote storage garage .... not good!
    IFLYRC - IMAA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

iflyrc,
    Thanks for the info.
    The bulbs are only 100 watts.
    Good idea on the mice: better go get a few mouse traps.
    I forgot that I keep them around my old cars: catch a few, once in awhile, usually during the winter when they try to get in from the cold.
    G. Samuel Parfitt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Jim,
    Where did your Corsair's CG finally end up and how much nose weight did you have to add ? I have a friend who also got a hold of a DW Corsair, he is trying resurrect it and and get it in flying condition but he is not sure about the CG.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by ditjr View Post
    Jim,
    Where did your Corsair's CG finally end up and how much nose weight did you have to add ? I have a friend who also got a hold of a DW Corsair, he is trying resurrect it and and get it in flying condition but he is not sure about the CG.
    I went with the CG calculator.. and set it at about 5 1/2 " I wish your buddy good luck! Post an update when he gets it flying. Or, add a post or two for info as some other lost sole maybe looking for info on this kit like I was.

Flies very well. Have had many flights now. Regular rocketship!

Does your buddy have an extra canopy ?? Mine is still broken !! lol

However, I did get a chance to measure up the Comp Arf canopy, and I think it's a go! Maybe a winter retrofit project.... ?? Like I don't have enough projects looming !
    IFLYRC - IMAA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thanks for the reply.
    I will tell my friend to go with the 5 1/2", that will make him feel a little better.

He was going to set up at 5 1/4" to balance the plane at that point he had to add 10 lbs. of lead way out front above the motor and an additional 10 lbs. in the form of a steel plate behind the engines back plate motor mount.

He is using a 3W 150 inline twin. A horizontal twin would have been better to get that engine weight further up front like you have. How much nose wight did you end up needing ?

Sorry no extra canopy, I don't think it will be very easy to come across an actual DW canopy so good luck with your retrofit project . As things progress we will update.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I am not sure how much weight I added... but - look through the thread, you can pretty much see it. I would guess about 4 or 5 lbs. I built a shelf over the engine box to hold it. Make sure to add a 45 degree angle support! Dont want that weight vibrating off !!

The plane is actually VERY easy to fly AND land. Heck, I should spiff it up a bit.. . I suspect it will live awhile.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P 51 buiild 485.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	1916750
    IFLYRC - IMAA

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123