Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM Hellcat

Old 10-01-2012, 06:26 PM
BubbasanJohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESM Hellcat

Hey Y'all. Been working away on a ESM Hellcat I picked up from TBM. Has a DLE 35RA up front with Sierra gear. Well getting to the tail builing part and was curious to know if anyone that "built" thie plane followed the manual, mounted servos near tail feathers or used long pushrods.

Thanks for your time!

Bubba.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:15 AM
BubbasanJohn

Default RE: ESM Hellcat

WOW, thought some one on this board would own one of these planes. This it is also sold as a YT in europe? Could be wrong.

Bubba.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:15 AM
greenbaron

I "built" this Hellcat some time ago. Rudder and elevador have pull-pull cables, not the supplied in the kit but 40 pounds steel nylon covered fishing line. The plane will need nose wheight to balance, and to place servos near the tail will increase a lot the amount of lead to get the balance..
After a lot of flights (and some arguments with gravity) the tail set up is working OK. BTW, the plane is a superb flyer.

I hope this helps.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:26 AM
BubbasanJohn

Yes sir. Thanks.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:28 AM
VIRGINIA MODEL BUILDERS
My Feedback: (159)

excellent advice
Old 05-10-2017, 04:25 PM
drsugarbeet

Default Esm hellcat paint?

Originally Posted by BubbasanJohn
Hey Y'all. Been working away on a ESM Hellcat I picked up from TBM. Has a DLE 35RA up front with Sierra gear. Well getting to the tail builing part and was curious to know if anyone that "built" thie plane followed the manual, mounted servos near tail feathers or used long pushrods.

Thanks for your time!

Bubba.
Hi Bubba I Know this is a old post but I came across your esm hellcat and want to do one just like it can you tell me what color​ of paint did ​​​​​​you use? Did you repaint the light color underneath? Did you remove the decals before painting. I have a Saito FG60R3 radial I'm going to put in mine just a few minor modifications to the cowl. Thanks Daryl.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:44 PM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello All, finally got mine flying. I used kevlar cables for both the rudder and elevators to keep the rear as light as possible. I replaced the G-38 with a DLE 35RA. So far the DLE has been a great engine. I moved it forward 1/4", mounted both ignition and radio batteries up front in the cowl. Used a large Higley Hub and brass nut. I test flew it that way and was still a little tail heavy for me. Had to add about 6oz of lead shot to the lower cowl lip. Total weight is 19 lbs. It flies good.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2078.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	782.3 KB
ID:	2214566   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2091.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	632.3 KB
ID:	2214567   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2097.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	1.16 MB