Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Has TopFlite gone nuts with the price??

ORIGINAL: 91zulu

ORIGINAL: warbird_1

As a scratch builder i only wish i could build one of my planes for 650.00. but.... for me if it means not sending china anymore of my money for their cheap crap then i'm really happy for that .

What do you mean if you could build for $650 ? What planes are you scratch building that cost you more than 650. Are you talking from paper to the air or to the SAME POINT one would receive an ARF in the box. If it cost you more to the same point you would receive an ARF, you doing a hell of a lot wrong.

Really? Did you ever price a Ziroli Stuka? And that one does not have retracts! Get th plastic, fiberglass, struts, blueprints, get the wood cut (that needs cutting) get the rest of the wood, etc, and you are over that mark. Then start with the rest of the stuff... glues, fiberglass, resin, primer, paint, and all kind of supplies add another couple of hundereds (or covering). Cover a 1/3 scale Balsa Usa DR-1 (small for a 1/3 scale) and tell me the price of the covering. I doubt much you can do any Ziroli warbird less than well over a grand...

Just to re-do a 20 year old 1/3 scale Morane A-1 will cost well $300 in materials (no building involved, justr re-cover, improve, and update the model).

But, each of us has different interest, and like different models. I can see how a senior telemaster might be scratch built for about 1/2 the $650...

Gerry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

As a scratch builder i only wish i could build one of my planes for 650.00. but.... for me if it means not sending china anymore of my money for their cheap crap then i'm really happy for that .

What do you mean if you could build for $650 ? What planes are you scratch building that cost you more than 650. Are you talking from paper to the air or to the SAME POINT one would receive an ARF in the box. If it cost you more to the same point you would receive an ARF, you doing a hell of a lot wrong.

Really? Did you ever price a Ziroli Stuka? And that one does not have retracts! Get th plastic, fiberglass, struts, blueprints, get the wood cut (that needs cutting) get the rest of the wood, etc, and you are over that mark. Then start with the rest of the stuff... glues, fiberglass, resin, primer, paint, and all kind of supplies add another couple of hundereds (or covering). Cover a 1/3 scale Balsa Usa DR-1 (small for a 1/3 scale) and tell me the price of the covering. I doubt much you can do any Ziroli warbird less than well over a grand...

Just to re-do a 20 year old 1/3 scale Morane A-1 will cost well $300 in materials (no building involved, justr re-cover, improve, and update the model).

But, each of us has different interest, and like different models. I can see how a senior telemaster might be scratch built for about 1/2 the $650...

Gerry
    Gerry,
    I agree with every word, scratch building a Ziroli and buying all the glass parts and finishing it ready to fly will set you back some $$$$..

But this thread is about TopFlite and the $750.00 arf that is built up and covered in Monokote.. Do you think the plane is over priced for what you are getting?
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #92

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Amazing how far these threads digress from the original ?. I think they are playing the big shell game as some have said, they raise prices this time of year and then have a "sale" and offer a coupon to entice you to spend more. Kind of like car dealers offering a mininum trade in on your car no matter what condition all the while jacking the price up on the new one. It is what it is and you pay your money and take your choice. I know guys who have arfs piled up in the shop that they don't have time to assemble but they still keep buying because they have to have that one more. Trading with China is becoming more costly because of new tariffs and the weak dollar. And if you know anything about retail the only things that are marked up 300-400 % is the little things like hardware, glue, etc... Iwork for a major building supply company and the M.U on a 2x4 is about 5%, but the M.U on the nails is 150% Iseriously doubt Hobbbico/Tower is making $400 on an arf that sells for $800. Think what a gallon of fuel oil for a ship costs these days.
    ORIGINAL: Mustangman40

Just wondering If I am the only one who thinks they have gotten goofy with the price.....

I know, supply and demand. heard it 1000's times. But i remember what they used to charge for the 1/5 scale arf's and it's a fare cry from what they charge now...

I would love to know the numbers, are folks buying as many as they used to? I know I'm not, not at those prices.. Are they selling half as many planes at twice the price, or would they be better off with better prices and sell more planes.. Just wondering what others thought....
    If what you believed to be true was false would you want to know the truth?

"You shall know the truth, and the truth will set you free".

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

how many of you have had yur wages go up at the rate of inflation?  by the time I get my money, it seems that it's value has already shrunk by 10%.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

nope.

Care to tell us why???

Kit is $350.00

Arf is $750.00

So your saying monokote (5 rolls), glue and paint cost you more then $400.00....

Look into it a bit further, and you will see you need more than 5 rolls, the kit does not include things you get with the ARF, like the cockpit kit, among other items (items that are worth about $50). So then you have $100 in covering, plus add $50 in things not included in the kit, there you already have $150.00. I use 3 kinds of glue, plus thread locker and in a big model, you are looking at $40 most likely(at least).

Add now a couple of different colors paint and a bunch of xacto blades, sandpaper, and other "consumables".

You will get easy to $ 250 in expenses. So, you are saving a whopping $150.00. Really? I might consider it it I would be retired, and really have nothing better to do, have no life, no family, no professional interests, no other hobbies. I have seen a TF Corsair build. Thank you, I pass, keep your $150.00.

I can understand that some people will build even if it really would cost much more than the ARF (and even if the ARF would be better built). Why? Because they have fun spending weeks and weeks and months and months free time building. Nothing wrong with that, just not the cup of tea of a lot of modelers.

I know pilots (of full size airolanes) that are into home built planes. Many do not even finish flying off the first 50 hours, and they put the just finished home built airplane on the market to fund another project. They barely fly... They are builders, their enjoyment starts when they start building, and finish when the machine is signed off to fly. So they go and start another project...

But, that is the beauty of our hobby. There is something for everyone. If you are not having fun, you are not doing it right!

My 2 cents.

Gerry

So if you do this yourself you save

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What I don't understand is the people that respond to this thread about ARF's that swear they would never build an ARF regardless of price. Why are they chiming in and voicing their position?
    AMA #77967/CD/LM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

it's the same old thing, do you want a penny a day doubled everyday for 30 days or a million dollars right now?, it boils down to take as much as you can as fast as you can. "GREED"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gerry
    [/quote]

Gerry,
    I agree with every word, scratch building a Ziroli and buying all the glass parts and finishing it ready to fly will set you back some $$$$..

But this thread is about TopFlite and the $750.00 arf that is built up and covered in Monokote.. Do you think the plane is over priced for what you are getting?
    [/quote]

My mistake. But let me put it this way, keeping on the subject of TF arfs. If I would really want a Corsair 1/5 scale, and my choice is to spend $ 750.00 and have it ready to go fly in 2 weeks working part time on it. Or pay about $600 for the kit, plus all the rest of the stuff needed to bring it up to the ARF standards (you know, monocoted and not glassed and painted), my choice is the ARF.

But, this is my personal opinion, not the truth of the Lord. Each of us has different things in which we participate and volunteer time like church or/and professional organizations, some of us attend conferences, like to travel abroad at least once per year, have other hobbies, have grandchildren that play baseball on weekends, have baby grandchildren, and travel as much as we can, etc. So when people say "I do not have time" many times they really mean "I have no time to spend in my shop building". Me? I do not have time to watch TV... I still did not see NCIS I taped last 2 weeks...

Gerry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Lifer

What I don't understand is the people that respond to this thread about ARF's that swear they would never build an ARF regardless of price. Why are they chiming in and voicing their position?

I asked me the same question over and over in prior threads. I think it has to do with some inherent lack of security. Why do people buy a car, lets say a Ford and a Chevy, and they argue and defend their purchase like their life would depend of it? Insecurity? I admit, I would do it if I would drive a Murcielago... or a red Ferrari.
    There is nothing to prove. There is no right or wrong, just personal preference...

But it works for both sides of the issue... Well, of many issues, (gas versus electric, 2 versus 4 strokes, nitro versus gas, gas versus..whatever)

Gerry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Its all a game,
    No, not a game,its good business to follow supply and demand. Both supply and demand are seasonal, therefore the price should change seasonally as well.
    Glow Head Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's a security thing, and a maturity thing. My son defends MOPAR because he loved their cars when he was growing up. I was the same way about Chevy when I was growing up. When you grow up you understand things change, and loyality should not be extended to material things.
    Glow Head Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here ya go, take a look at the prices and how much they differ.... Please tell me you don't really think it cost more to build any one of those planes, all pretty much the same as far as cost goes...
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...C=ACJTOP&P=0&S=

According to TF and Tower, the covering on the P47 is only worth $30.00... And the Mustang cost $220.00 less then the corsair and guess what, they are still making money on that price or they wouldn't be selling it....

The fact is, they charge you more for what is hot and new.. They know folks will pay the extra $$ to have the latest and greatest...

The folks in this thread that want to justify getting taken advantage of, that's fine.. We all do it when we know we payed to much for something we really wanted.. That's just the nature of people!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If I would really want a Corsair 1/5 scale, and my choice is to spend $ 750.00 and have it ready to go fly in 2 weeks working part time on it. Or pay about $600 for the kit, plus all the rest of the stuff needed to bring it up to the ARF standards (you know, monocoted and not glassed and painted), my choice is the ARF.
    Gerry
    Here is the answer to why they get the kind of outrageous prices that they come up with.
    Gary-Waco Brother#171 If the build gets tough, always refrain from throwing things! ARCA, Austin Tx. www.austinrc.org

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

After reading this thread, I just purchased the Fw-190 Top-Flite ARF. It will join my Top-Flite B-25, P-40 and Corsair. I also had the Top-Flite P-47. I love the quality of the Top-Flite ARF,s and they are wonderful flying planes. They are expensive and getting more expensive everyday, but you have to do what you feel comfortable with and this is my choice.I have built many planes and am to the point I do not want to spend my time building anymore especially when I do not have a good shop for building, so ARF's covered in monokote do have a place in my life. Looking forward to the arrival of the FW- 190. No one is forced to buy one and that is what is so great, we all have choices.I also received free shipping.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i guess i'm doing something wrong or you cut corners. price out a ziroli spitfire with all the plastic and glass parts and gear. that alone is over a grand . that's not counting wood, glue, paint ,hardware,wheels,markings .. should i keep going? there's a difference between buying someone used stuff and building your own. i have build a lot of stuff. 2 ziroli p-40's and p-38 and a bunch of other stuff. you?

I thought you said you SCRATCH BUILD. As for me Ziroli Stuka, Meister ME 109 and others over the years in including Pica Spitfire the small and the 88". Well I guess if all the material you use comes from the hobby stores then I guess it will cost you more.
    I don`t cut corners, contrary to what you and others may think, there are a few other materials that can be use for building that give the same good strong results as balsa and ply from the hobby shop. Today there is a lot of proof that foam works very well. As I stated above a few pics back foam board can be used to build most of the framing of a plane. At $1 for a 36x36 sheet compare to a sheet of 1/8 ply and 1/8 balsa sheets for framing, one can cut a lot of the framing cost. You could also pick up 3/4 ply pieces from Home Depot for cents in the scrap bin to do fire walls in stead of going to the hobby shop for 1/2 ply. That`s how I do it. You have to think outside the HOBBY SHOP BOX and it can be done.
    91-Zulu

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It really doesn't matter what any one thinks. It's the perogative of what one wants to do that matters.

Prices are what they are. We don't set them for Tower or Horizon et al.

It matters not if they are "cost reasonable".

It doesn't matter if you can build it cheaper or not. Who really cares? Do what you want, nothing wrong with that. Just don't expect others to jump on that band wagon.

BobH.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

your rude tone isn't worth a reply but i'm willing to grant you at least one response . in case you didn't read the whole post, the conversion included comparisons . you brought it up yourself :

But with the price we are paying for an arf now, I see no reason we can't bring the manufacturing back to the USA.. Think about it and i think you will agree... Most of use to say, " I can't build the plane for that"...
    Well I know I could and if anyone is thinking they couldn't, they haven't built many planes..

it's apparent that you either a tight wade lol or you eyes are bigger than you wallet . you started this thread complaining about the price of the plane you apparently are interested in buying. because i didn't Aline myself with your position i'm wrong , i'm the bad guy . well you couldn't have ever scratch built anything or you wouldn't be disagreeing with me.
    i would throw down this challenge. you say you can build ..say a ziroli spitfire for 6 - 7 hundred bucks. i'm not going to do the leg work for you. go on his site, look up basic parts for the air frame only . that includes parts,glue wood,finishing stuff like expoy , primmer,paint,fiberglass cloth ect. then get back to me. oh.. BTW do you really thing having them made here in the states would be cheaper? your just not being realistic . not disrespect intended . one last thing.. in your profile you call yourself an expert that likes warbirds. can you tell me how many planes you build from plans? big ones that is 1/5-1/4 scale
    Contest Director /Turbine pilot/ P-38 Brotherhood/Scratch Builders make their own Destiny

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here ya go, take a look at the prices and how much they differ.... Please tell me you don't really think it cost more to build any one of those planes, all pretty much the same as far as cost goes...
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...C=ACJTOP&P=0&S=

According to TF and Tower, the covering on the *P47 is only worth $30.00... And the Mustang cost $220.00 less then the corsair and guess what, they are still making money on that price or they wouldn't be selling it....

The fact is, they charge you more for what is hot and new.. They know folks will pay the extra $$ to have the latest and greatest...

The folks in this thread that want to justify getting taken advantage of, that's fine.. We all do it when we know we payed to much for something we really wanted.. That's just the nature of people!

You got part wrong. $30 is the credit they feel like giving you for the uncovered version. Not the cost, not the value.

The Mustang cost $220 less to you, the buyer. I agree on that. But not that the product costs Tower $220 less... Again, the prices are never set based on cost. They are set based on what the market will feel like paying for it. If they think they can get away with $700 or 800, they will. Nobody is free of the law of supply and demand. NOBODY.

Yes, they always can, and will charge more for something new, and particularly hot. Value is in the eye of the customer. Some do not mind paying 250K for Lamborghini or a Ferrari. But others that could buy them will not. There are rich people driving very common cars. They can afford them, but they do not think they are worth (for them) the money...

Gerry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

your rude tone isn't worth a reply but i'm willing to grant you at least one response . in case you didn't read the whole post, the conversion included comparisons . you brought it up yourself :

But with the price we are paying for an arf now, I see no reason we can't bring the manufacturing back to the USA.. Think about it and i think you will agree... Most of use to say, '' I can't build the plane for that''...
    Well I know I could and if anyone is thinking they couldn't, they haven't built many planes..

it's apparent that you either a tight wade lol or you eyes are bigger than you wallet . you started this thread complaining about the price of the plane you apparently are interested in buying. because i didn't Aline myself with your position i'm wrong , i'm the bad guy . well you couldn't have ever scratch built anything or you wouldn't be disagreeing with me.
    i would throw down this challenge. you say you can build ..say a ziroli spitfire for 6 - 7 hundred bucks. i'm not going to do the leg work for you. go on his site, look up basic parts for the air frame only . that includes parts,glue wood,finishing stuff like expoy , primmer,paint,fiberglass cloth ect. then get back to me. oh.. BTW do you really thing having them made here in the states would be cheaper? your just not being realistic . not disrespect intended . one last thing.. in your profile you call yourself an expert that likes warbirds. can you tell me how many planes you build from plans? big ones that is 1/5-1/4 scale

I like the question you pose at the end of your message: "BTW do you really think having them made in the states would be cheaper".

It got me thinking. Hobby-Lobby is much improving the design of the Senior Telemaster, and will be manufacturing the kits in the US. The price went up a bit (but the design has improved also, making it faster to build, and disassemble to move around. The price, not cheap, but I think it will sell.

There is a company making kits in Canada. And let's not forget all the kit-cutters that custom make kits for us based on designer blueprints. So I think it can be done. The question comes down to profits (my guess). They make them abroad because they are cheaper and the profits are bigger. Period. (No need to tell me about the loss of jobs and the need to retain jobs here and support companies like the Canadian, like Balsa USA, etc. That is entirely another issue)

Gerry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i guess i'm doing something wrong or you cut corners. price out a ziroli spitfire with all the plastic and glass parts and gear. that alone is over a grand . that's not counting wood, glue, paint ,hardware,wheels,markings .. should i keep going? there's a difference between buying someone used stuff and building your own. i have build a lot of stuff. 2 ziroli p-40's and p-38 and a bunch of other stuff. you?

I thought you said you SCRATCH BUILD. As for me Ziroli Stuka, Meister ME 109 and others over the years in including Pica Spitfire the small and the 88''. Well I guess if all the material you use comes from the hobby stores then I guess it will cost you more.
    I don`t cut corners, contrary to what you and others may think, there are a few other materials that can be use for building that give the same good strong results as balsa and ply from the hobby shop. Today there is a lot of proof that foam works very well. As I stated above a few pics back foam board can be used to build most of the framing of a plane. At $1 for a 36x36 sheet compare to a sheet of 1/8 ply and 1/8 balsa sheets for framing, one can cut a lot of the framing cost. You could also pick up 3/4 ply pieces from Home Depot for cents in the scrap bin to do fire walls in stead of going to the hobby shop for 1/2 ply. That`s how I do it. You have to think outside the HOBBY SHOP BOX and it can be done.
    lol don't bother me with your home depot build projects please . i build real planes out of real materials
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lj22956.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	1809680   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rm37584.jpg 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	1809681   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ou49981.jpg 
Size:	155.3 KB 
ID:	1809682   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hb81476.jpg 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	1809683   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lw20493.jpg 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	1809684  

Contest Director /Turbine pilot/ P-38 Brotherhood/Scratch Builders make their own Destiny

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

But with the price we are paying for an arf now, I see no reason we can't bring the manufacturing back to the USA.. Think about it and i think you will agree... Most of use to say, '' I can't build the plane for that''...

i would throw down this challenge. you say you can build ..say a ziroli spitfire for 6 - 7 hundred bucks. i'm not going to do the leg work for you. go on his site, look up basic parts for the air frame only . that includes parts,glue wood,finishing stuff like expoy , primmer,paint,fiberglass cloth ect. then get back to me. oh.. BTW do you really thing having them made here in the states would be cheaper? your just not being realistic . no disrespect intended . one last thing.. in your profile you call yourself an expert that likes warbirds. can you tell me how many planes you build from plans? big ones that is 1/5-1/4 scale

I like the question you pose at the end of your message: ''BTW do you really think having them made in the states would be cheaper''.

It got me thinking. Hobby-Lobby is much improving the design of the Senior Telemaster, and will be manufacturing the kits in the US. The price went up a bit (but the design has improved also, making it faster to build, and disassemble to move around. The price, not cheap, but I think it will sell.

There is a company making kits in Canada. And let's not forget all the kit-cutters that custom make kits for us based on designer blueprints. So I think it can be done. The question comes down to profits (my guess). They make them abroad because they are cheaper and the profits are bigger. Period. (No need to tell me about the loss of jobs and the need to retain jobs here and support companies like the Canadian, like Balsa USA, etc. That is entirely another issue)

Gerry

hey jerry, i was referring to having arf's manufactured here bud :-) BTW i fly alot of big stuff ,but i still own a t-master which i have scratch built a lot of them off their plans . maybe 4
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ur52115.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	1809687  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So are you so called scratch builders saying EVERY TIME you build a plane you have to buy, WOOD, GLUE, GLASS CLOTH, PAINT ????? What the ######What do U all do buy these things by the inch or gram ? I thought scratch builders buy bulk stock that will do at least 3 to 4 1/5 scale planes. WOW.
    Oh well each his own.
    91-Zulu

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

But with the price we are paying for an arf now, I see no reason we can't bring the manufacturing back to the USA.. Think about it and i think you will agree... Most of use to say, " I can't build the plane for that"...

Would you please show me where I said you can build a Ziroli spit for 6-7 hundred bucks.. Would you also show me where the TF corsair is glassed and painted, it's monokote.. Get back to me on that one...

As far as you comment about "You build real planes" the don't bother me with the home depot projects.. I won't stoop to your levle with the name calling, but aren't model airplanes "Toys"?? I mean you come out with "I build real airplanes", they are just "Toys"

You still haven't got back on the subject of TF arf's being over priced, your still stuck on Ziroli builds you have done.. To even compare a Tf to a ziroli is just plain stupid.. Oh and by the way, please don't post any pics of your toy airplanes in this thread, it's about TF...

Thanks for understanding toy plane builder.............

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So are you so called scratch builders saying EVERY TIME you build a plane you have to buy, WOOD, GLUE, GLASS CLOTH, PAINT ????? What the ######What do U all do buy these things by the inch or gram ? I thought scratch builders buy bulk stock that will do at least 3 to 4 1/5 scale planes. WOW.
    Oh well each his own.

Well, some things like CA, I buy new each time I will build something. I have no luck, they even dry out in a zip lock bag inside the fridge. the aliphatic white glue lives on forever. My Pica white glue still works and is at least one decade old. Epoxy lasts, but the containers get used in less than 2 years. As far a paints, well, the one you need normally just did run out, or you need a color you never used before. I am not a big fan of stocking things that age. I do have in stock a lot of the hardware needed, but normally, again, you want to try a new hinge or something, and you need to buy:-) Said that, many might have all the y need, plus 234 kits in line to build or leave to your estate the day you check out forever... Not here:-) I have only a 1/3 scale kit I never got to and a couple of smaller ones that I do not care about anymore.

Gerry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh well each his own.
    I will be talking with you this winter about the foam you use. I will be cutting out a Ziroli B-25 this fall for my winter project, would like to learn more about what you are using...

Jimbo

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast