Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Has TopFlite gone nuts with the price??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Has TopFlite gone nuts with the price??

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 03:33 PM
predman
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Has TopFlite gone nuts with the price??

I built my first 50cc plane from a kit, the topflite GS corsair. I wasn't that difficult, but after buying everything need to complete to get it flying I would have have just bought the arf but it wasn't available at the time. My corsair is my pride and joy and is my easiest plane to fly! Takes off and lands easily. Would I do it again maybe, building helps you get the skill in case of a repair. I have many planes for free because the owners crashed and instead of repairing they would rather just buy a new one.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:51 PM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think the Topflight arfs are a very good value even at the current $. If you fellow's think they're expensive, you should look at some turbine airframes LOL.

Mike
Old 10-09-2012, 06:54 PM
kochj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps the poster would like to spend Aero-works prices??? OR H9 prices??

IT is all the same price now...
Old 10-09-2012, 07:11 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Our dollar has been devalued.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:15 PM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Still can't build one for what the ARF is running. Take this into account when you consider the cost of the wood, glue, sandpaper, cowl, canopy, spinner, etc., covering and finishing materials, and most notably "TIME" if you built it yourself, which is better anyway.

How can you say that $650 for an 85-ish inch warbird ARF is out of line? I think it is the catch 22 mentality of many in the USA: 'I don't want to buy from China, in order to support the USA economy, but I will buy it, because I expect it to sell cheap, because it is from China; BUT wait, it comes from China, but it ain't cheap....What a rip-off'. Oh, and of course, the usual complaints about ARF imperfections and quality in the process (cheap).

I am in the airline industry, and this argument is similar to those that complain about having to pay more than $99 to fly from MSP to Miami, for example. I mean, come on; you cannot even drive to WI and back for $99. Why is $250 or $350 for this travel considered out of line? I cannot even drive my truck back to Indiana for less than $350 at current gas prices. In air travel, you are paying for time and convenience. We can thank to low cost carriers for this air travel (cost) mentality.

Think about it.

Jeff
Old 10-09-2012, 07:25 PM
predman

Your right! Unless you already have everything you need in your workshop and don't need to buy a single thing it would be cost effective. Building one, I can say I spent more than what the arf cost, and way more time getting it ready for flight!
Old 10-09-2012, 07:28 PM
F4u5

ORIGINAL: predman

Your right! Unless you already have everything you need in your workshop and don't need to buy a single thing it would be cost effective. Building one, I can say I spent more than what the arf cost, and way more time getting it ready for flight!
And, the good news is that when you build it yourself, you know exactly what you have. That's peace of mind!

Jeff
Old 10-09-2012, 07:33 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: F4u5
And, the good news is that when you build it yourself, you know exactly what you have. That's peace of mind!
Or maybe not!!!!
Old 10-09-2012, 07:58 PM
dwreel

A couple of months ago I bought an ARF for $300. Two weeks later it went up to $330. A month later, it was "discontinued". This is crazy.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:07 AM
F4u5

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

Or maybe not!!!!
Well...uh.....true Chad....I have done that before too.....[&o]

Jeff
Old 10-10-2012, 05:52 AM
hellcat56
My Feedback: (21)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

flycatch
you keep posting the same line over and over
do you realize that
do you have any other thoughts?
Old 10-10-2012, 05:57 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

Or maybe not!!!!

I am 62, in the hobby since I was 20. I have seen many, many, many more kit build models crash due to structural failure than ARFs:-) Of course, during my first 30 yeas in the hobby there were no ARFs...

Gerry

Old 10-10-2012, 06:13 AM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Wow....people telling others to pull their head out of their - others telling each other not to bring their toys to show here....wow, am I at preschool here? some of you guys should be ashamed of how your acting. It would probably get your nose cracked in the real world, trying to say this stuff in person, but then you probably wouldn't have the ba!!s to say it to ones face.....

Just shut it down mods....it's lowered itself well below RCU's standards, and adds nothing to this forum...

Casey
Old 10-10-2012, 06:38 AM
Mustangman40

Still can't build one for what the ARF is running. Take this into account when you consider the cost of the wood, glue, sandpaper, cowl, canopy, spinner, etc., covering and finishing materials, and most notably "TIME" if you built it yourself, which is better anyway.

How can you say that $650 for an 85-ish inch warbird ARF is out of line? I think it is the catch 22 mentality of many in the USA: 'I don't want to buy from China, in order to support the USA economy, but I will buy it, because I expect it to sell cheap, because it is from China; BUT wait, it comes from China, but it ain't cheap....What a rip-off'. Oh, and of course, the usual complaints about ARF imperfections and quality in the process (cheap).

I am in the airline industry, and this argument is similar to those that complain about having to pay more than $99 to fly from MSP to Miami, for example. I mean, come on; you cannot even drive to WI and back for $99. Why is $250 or $350 for this travel considered out of line? I cannot even drive my truck back to Indiana for less than $350 at current gas prices. In air travel, you are paying for time and convenience. We can thank to low cost carriers for this air travel (cost) mentality.

Think about it.

Jeff
Jeff,
it's not $650.00, it's $750.00..... The new corsair and the FW190 are both $230.00 bucks more then the Mustang, why do you think that is?

To all the ones that are fine with the prices at $750.00, enjoy your purchase.. It's your money and I really could care less how you spend it, but please don't try and tell me what a deal it is... You have your opinion and i respect that, but I also have mine.....

I guess I am wrong in thinking that they should be selling for $529.00 like the 85" mustang is selling for. I guess I am wrong for thinking they are sticking in our %$#%$# because it is the latest and greatest of their line up...
I guess it was wrong of TF several years back when they sold all the planes they had for the same price, what were they thinking, how rude.....

Jimbo
Old 10-10-2012, 06:45 AM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: glazier808

Wow....people telling others to pull their head out of their - others telling each other not to bring their toys to show here....wow, am I at preschool here? some of you guys should be ashamed of how your acting. It would probably get your nose cracked in the real world, trying to say this stuff in person, but then you probably wouldn't have the ba!!s to say it to ones face.....

Just shut it down mods....it's lowered itself well below RCU's standards, and adds nothing to this forum...

Casey

NO NONONOI gota $50.00 dollar bet with another member saying thethread wouldn't last to Noon today, with a $25.00 bonus for it going over 150 post......
Old 10-10-2012, 07:00 AM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

It's $649.00 if you are a club member. Of course you can count on another $85 for shipping. But a much better deal me thinks than the H-9 30cc P-47 for $750. Besides, hasn't everyone been screaming for a GS top flite axis ship for a long time?
Old 10-10-2012, 07:28 AM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: MANFRED

It's $649.00 if you are a club member. Of course you can count on another $85 for shipping. But a much better deal me thinks than the H-9 30cc P-47 for $750. Besides, hasn't everyone been screaming for a GS top flite axis ship for a long time?

I agree H-9 priced that plane way to high in my opinion, the Tiger Moth is another one...

It's just the way it is, it's a pay to play world......

What do you all think about this??

Do you think there is a market for ARF kits?? Not an ARF, but all the parts to build the ARF from scratch?
I know there are a lot of plans on the market, but it would be great to be able to build a Arf frame myself..

Thoughts please..

jimbo
Old 10-10-2012, 07:40 AM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mustangman40

I agree H-9 priced that plane way to high in my opinion, the Tiger Moth is another one...

Do you think there is a market for ARF kits?? Not an ARF, but all the parts to build the ARF from scratch?
I know there are a lot of plans on the market, but it would be great to be able to build a Arf frame myself..

Thoughts please..

jimbo
Uh....so...essentially build a kit? I feel ARF's have been way underpriced by and large for a long time. No consideration for the labor aspect of the price at all, just the materials. The chickens are just coming home to roost.
To me a warbird in the 80"ish size could be priced upwards of $1000.
Once the labor unions move into China, we will all have to hold on!

Old 10-10-2012, 07:54 AM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

Thoughts please..

jimbo
Uh....so...essentially build a kit? I feel ARF's have been way underpriced by and large for a long time. No consideration for the labor aspect of the price at all, just the materials. The chickens are just coming home to roost.
To me a warbird in the 80"ish size could be priced upwards of $1000.
Once the labor unions move into China, we will all have to hold on!

Yes,
there are a lot of ARFS out there that are a very nice plane, just not built so nice.. I know you can get plans for a lot of different planes, but some might like being able to open a box and have everything ready to go. IE no cutting out your own parts.. Just a thought..

Jimbo
Old 10-10-2012, 07:59 AM
masteromodels
My Feedback: (11)

So far I have built all the new GS. TOP-FLITE war birds and there is a big difference in the construction of the P-40 and Corsair from the P-51. Much better engineering in the newer Arfs so I can see why we may be paying more. Also they include spinners and cockpit interiors and they are much better engineered then ESM kits of which I have also built a 1/2 dozen of. I know the price sounds high but you get what you pay for.

thanks Bob
Old 10-10-2012, 08:41 AM
CaptKAOS

Maybe..it's time to find some Coroplast and start building S.P.A.D.s....
Old 10-10-2012, 08:46 AM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: masteromodels

So far I have built all the new GS. TOP-FLITE war birds and there is a big difference in the construction of the P-40 and Corsair from the P-51. Much better engineering in the newer Arfs so I can see why we may be paying more. Also they include spinners and cockpit interiors and they are much better engineered then ESM kits of which I have also built a 1/2 dozen of. I know the price sounds high but you get what you pay for.

thanks Bob

Thanks for your input Bob, that makes sense if the quality is better and your getting the cockpit and spinner.....
Old 10-10-2012, 09:58 AM
kurt2022
My Feedback: (18)

I'm not a warbird guy and am into aerobatic airplanes. I have hanger 9, lanier, cermark and great planes arfs and they fly good, but a few months ago I bought a Pilot sbach 342 and found this plane to be state of the art from top to bottom. I paid a few hundred more dollars for the pilot arf and it has definatly been worth every penny! It is hard to bring my other planes out because the pilot sbach is such a treat to fly. You definately get what you pay for and if I had it to do all over again, I would have less planes, but they would all be top of the line though!
Old 10-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Dolphpb
My Feedback: (2)

I worked in a small shop making gliders and I am amazed at the quality of these ARFs and how "cheap" they are. With all the benifits and salary you have to pay people, it's tough to make kits unless some robot is making them. However, I just spent 8 months builing a Laser 200 only to have the wing come off because I didn't do something right and the bolt vibrated loose. ARF is done professionally and saves me 8 months building...I still like building though.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:04 PM
F4u5

Still can't build one for what the ARF is running. Take this into account when you consider the cost of the wood, glue, sandpaper, cowl, canopy, spinner, etc., covering and finishing materials, and most notably ''TIME'' if you built it yourself, which is better anyway.

Think about it.

Jeff
Jeff,
it's not $650.00, it's $750.00..... The new corsair and the FW190 are both $230.00 bucks more then the Mustang, why do you think that is?

Jimbo
Don't know Jim, I would guess they are trying to re-coup some production costs up front on initial sales (maybe passed on to supplier). That would be my guess, then as they sell of, the prices lower due to market fllod, poor sales, over-stock, most costs have been re-couped, or others....I really don't know. For all I know, Tower simply marks them up because they are new.

As for $750, that is still pretty descent considering what you get for the money. Of course, I am not factoring in any quality issues that may be present, just straight parts cost.

Now, don't get me wrong. In no way am I being negative towards these ARF's. As I said in the past, I don;t go there, I just don;t prefer them myself. You (all) do what you enjoy. All I am saying is, that, if you must buy an ARF, then the product cost you are getting is realtively cheap, or at least in line with the cost, if you bought all that stuff to build one yourself. Think about it (single engine):

Ziroli, etc. plans - $50 minimum
Purchased kit about $350 or better
Cowl, canopy and spinner, at least another $150
Hinges $20 minimum
Glues, let's say $50-75
Covering materials, let's go $100 (film more if glassed/painted due to resin and paints.
Plus, other oddities maybe contained in the ARF kit that I am over looking.

That's at least $700 bucks in parts tight there.

If I had to buy an ARF, then even $750 for an 85-86 ionch plane does not sound bad to me...that's all

Jeff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.