Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Has TopFlite gone nuts with the price??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Has TopFlite gone nuts with the price??

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 12:04 PM
Hellcat716
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Has TopFlite gone nuts with the price??

No, my shipping was free to Las Vegas, NV.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:08 PM
HellcatAce
My Feedback: (6)

Until the dollar is worth something again, it's all moot guys. If the economy tanks or "the fiscal cliff" is real, that ARF will easily cost $2000-$3000 sooner than later.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:23 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You know it was brought up why certain ARF planes would be so much higher than others...

I got to thinking about it, and anyone that has ever built a realistic Corsair has to admit, that gull wing adds A LOT of labor.

Another possibility is that any round sided planked plane is much more intensive than one with a large flatish slab side.

Possibly the manufacturers are listening and improving the planes, which takes more time, and resources..

I do know this, I recently saw one of the big new Corsairs, and quite frankly I was very impressed, it looked like it was built to a new level of quality. I have a Topflight mustang, and it looks kinda toyish compared to that corsair.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:05 PM
masteromodels
My Feedback: (11)

I have priced the Ziroli P-51 It is not just the plans but you have purchase the cowl and canopy and cockpit interior and fuel tank and wheels and hardware and spinner and also if you want the fiberglass fuse. or not. Without counting the Eng. retracts and still more material such as glues and resin and fiberglass cloth and sandpaper and paint and thinner and your panel line tape plus other various tapes .and cloth for the rudder and hinges and most of all your time , then there is no comparison between the TOP-FLITE ARF's and building the Ziroli cut kit which you also have to pay for separate. Most of these items are included with the newer TOP-FLITE kits . Even the hinges are done in the newer kits except the rudder and they are already drilled. Dollar for dollar you cannot beat them. Also I would bet that these new top-flite kits are probably all jig built , I could not build as straight as all their kits and they are all the same . No they are not as scale but they look good and they all fly great.

thanks Bob
Old 10-10-2012, 01:19 PM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny all this talk of these planes being overpriced, but just look in the market place and see what a 80+inch plane costs....no ones selling their "almost ready to fly" planes for less...oh, and they are used and most likely, you wouldn't know anything about the builder or the quality of his build. I think top flights prices are decent for what they are offering. Yet I don't see threads about how high priced these old used planes are these days.
I wouldn't dare sell any of my kit built giant scale planes for anywhere near the price the TF is able too...I simply couldn't without loosing money.
If you really think you could, I think you kidding yourself.

I'd like for someone to build me a nice 80" zero of the same quality and sell it to me for $750.00...oh yeah and ill gladly pay the shipping

I'll be waiting for all of the offers........
Lol

Casey
Old 10-10-2012, 01:35 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Casey,
Ill do it for $750 and it would even be turn key, you supply the materials
Old 10-10-2012, 02:26 PM
glazier808

You can't get off that easy Thomas....I want that German zaggy of yours sir!

Casey
Old 10-10-2012, 02:28 PM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: glazier808

Funny all this talk of these planes being overpriced, but just look in the market place and see what a 80+inch plane costs....no ones selling their ''almost ready to fly'' planes for less...oh, and they are used and most likely, you wouldn't know anything about the builder or the quality of his build. I think top flights prices are decent for what they are offering. Yet I don't see threads about how high priced these old used planes are these days.
I wouldn't dare sell any of my kit built giant scale planes for anywhere near the price the TF is able too...I simply couldn't without loosing money.
If you really think you could, I think you kidding yourself.

I'd like for someone to build me a nice 80'' zero of the same quality and sell it to me for $750.00...oh yeah and ill gladly pay the shipping

I'll be waiting for all of the offers........
Lol

Casey

+1
Old 10-10-2012, 03:11 PM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

Top flight 1/5th birds are a great buy in my book... Fly great and not much to get them in the air... You can even fit them with some Sierra scale struts, gear and wheels with all the $$ you will save.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:29 PM
91zulu

ORIGINAL: 91zulu

LOL now you are asking for it. You do know folks going to come on and ask what it is you griping about. They are going to preach to you about how you CAN`T build a plane for the cost of an ARF and how great a deal the prices are. Boy are you going to get it...LOL

See same thing I stated at the beginning. Look here is the problem. There are still too many people with money burning holes in their pockets that can afford these prices. To them for all the reasons they state 750 for a 80" plane is as sweet as apple pie a deal. SOOO why wouldn`t TF and others charge what they do for their ARFs when they are so many willing to pay the price. It is the capitalist way of the land my friends that so many love and see NOTHING WRONG with it. AND SO IT IS.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:39 AM
[email protected]

I JUST BOUGHT A SPACE WALKER 120 SIZE FOR 15.00 FROM ONE TO TEN I WOULD SSAY IT WAS A 8> TOUCH UP HERE AND THERE LOOKS LIKE NEW I BUY ALL MY PLANES FROM SWAP MEETS> CATCH THE SELLER READY TO GO HOME AND GET IT CHEAP>
Old 10-11-2012, 04:48 AM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

LOL now you are asking for it. You do know folks going to come on and ask what it is you griping about. They are going to preach to you about how you CAN`T build a plane for the cost of an ARF and how great a deal the prices are. Boy are you going to get it...LOL

See same thing I stated at the beginning. Look here is the problem. There are still too many people with money burning holes in their pockets that can afford these prices. To them for all the reasons they state 750 for a 80'' plane is as sweet as apple pie a deal. SOOO why wouldn`t TF and others charge what they do for their ARFs when they are so many willing to pay the price. It is the capitalist way of the land my friends that so many love and see NOTHING WRONG with it. AND SO IT IS.
And facts are still facts....it really has nothing to do with money burnng a hole in your pocket. You CANNOT build it for $750, so what is the issue?

Jeff
Old 10-11-2012, 05:12 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

You get what you pay for, for the most part, sometimes you get not so good for good money, IE a Friday plane.    Some have said the Kit costs more to build, and in most cases, are right, but the kit is also a one off custom plane compared to an identical to each other ARF.   You get a lineup of these boxed warbirds, and unless you did something unique to it, you wouldn't know which one is yours.  You get 10 builders line up their planes, and not one of them will be the same.  That's the big difference between ARF and kit.   The SIg 4* I had, if I took it to the field and others had the same plane, chances are, if they left the decals off like I did, you wouldn't be able to tell whose was whose.  My Kadet however, no one else will have one that looks just like mine!   

Which plane has held up better to fiddle thumbs? The kit built Kadet.  The ARF, well, it can be rebuilt, but will take a lot of effort.   

As someone else mentioned, if you have built before, chances are you already have a pile of things already, so you can build a kit for less than an arf, If I wanted to, I could have built the P-51 straight out of the box, and would have flown it already, and other than the engine, and radio that you would need for the arf, the additional items, would be wheels, spinner, fuel tank, and covering. The kit and parts would still be below the arf price for the same size plane.   BUT, how many people would build straight out of the box?    Retracts, special servos for the gear doors, tail wheel retracts, fiberglass for the skin, paint, and other little things to make the plane more scale like and special, yep, THAT adds up quickly. 

As for the glues, that is something you should have no matter what!  You still need it for the ARF, and if you go to swap meets, you can usually pick up quite a few different types for a lot less than the stores.  I usually get the 1 ounce bottles of CA for $4 a bottle, its over $5 at the store before tax.   Epoxy I get for $6.    

Tools, well, depending no how much you do, you still need basic tools, whether you build, or arf.  You can make a lot of your own tools too, or buy them as you can afford them. And they are not a one use tool, you have them forever(unless you buy cheap). 

So frankly, the ARF vs Kit pricing, non issue, unless you are a one plane person, but seriously, who can have just ONE PLANE! LOL  I started with one, last year, I now have 3 flying, two on the building board, one that needs an engine, and a couple little Ultra Micros.   I blame the new fangled radios that have model memory! 
Old 10-11-2012, 05:40 AM
91zulu

ORIGINAL: F4u5

See same thing I stated at the beginning. Look here is the problem. There are still too many people with money burning holes in their pockets that can afford these prices. To them for all the reasons they state 750 for a 80'' plane is as sweet as apple pie a deal. SOOO why wouldn`t TF and others charge what they do for their ARFs when they are so many willing to pay the price. It is the capitalist way of the land my friends that so many love and see NOTHING WRONG with it. AND SO IT IS.
And facts are still facts....it really has nothing to do with money burnng a hole in your pocket. You CANNOT build it for $750, so what is the issue?

Jeff
Yes I can and do. Guess you have not read ALL of the thread THOROUGHLY, if you did you would have seen how I go about building my planes. Not because you can`t , does not mean some one else have not found a way to build cheaper. It happens all the time all you have to do is open your mind. I am not the only one that use the methods I do. AS a matter of fact I copy from other builders. That is why that statement " YOU CAN`T BUILD IT CHEAPER" is false.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:46 AM
raptureboy

WOW!This is still going onThink of all the extra time you would have to build a plane if you were'nt on here complaining about the cost of an arf and beating your chests over your building skills.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:57 AM
91zulu

ORIGINAL: acdii

You get what you pay for, for the most part, sometimes you get not so good for good money, IE a Friday plane. Some have said the Kit costs more to build, and in most cases, are right, but the kit is also a one off custom plane compared to an identical to each other ARF. You get a lineup of these boxed warbirds, and unless you did something unique to it, you wouldn't know which one is yours. You get 10 builders line up their planes, and not one of them will be the same. That's the big difference between ARF and kit. The SIg 4* I had, if I took it to the field and others had the same plane, chances are, if they left the decals off like I did, you wouldn't be able to tell whose was whose. My Kadet however, no one else will have one that looks just like mine!

Which plane has held up better to fiddle thumbs? The kit built Kadet. The ARF, well, it can be rebuilt, but will take a lot of effort.

As someone else mentioned, if you have built before, chances are you already have a pile of things already, so you can build a kit for less than an arf, If I wanted to, I could have built the P-51 straight out of the box, and would have flown it already, and other than the engine, and radio that you would need for the arf, the additional items, would be wheels, spinner, fuel tank, and covering. The kit and parts would still be below the arf price for the same size plane. BUT, how many people would build straight out of the box? Retracts, special servos for the gear doors, tail wheel retracts, fiberglass for the skin, paint, and other little things to make the plane more scale like and special, yep, THAT adds up quickly.

As for the glues, that is something you should have no matter what! You still need it for the ARF, and if you go to swap meets, you can usually pick up quite a few different types for a lot less than the stores. I usually get the 1 ounce bottles of CA for $4 a bottle, its over $5 at the store before tax. Epoxy I get for $6.

Tools, well, depending no how much you do, you still need basic tools, whether you build, or arf. You can make a lot of your own tools too, or buy them as you can afford them. And they are not a one use tool, you have them forever(unless you buy cheap).

So frankly, the ARF vs Kit pricing, non issue, unless you are a one plane person, but seriously, who can have just ONE PLANE! LOL I started with one, last year, I now have 3 flying, two on the building board, one that needs an engine, and a couple little Ultra Micros. I blame the new fangled radios that have model memory!

Now sir you are making a whole lot of sense. As you stated quite a few items a true builder will have on hand all the time, including wood. So the notion that one has to go out and buy certain items every time they a ready to build a plane is nonsense. A true builder buy certain items by bulk and have at hand for a long time. When buying in bulk things are cheaper. For some reason others don`t seem to get that.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:06 AM
glazier808

for me personally, it has nothing to do with the money, but the time. I have two little children under the age of 4 and the youngest, my son who is 3 has autism. On top of this my wife and I are in the midst of opening a preschool on Oahu.

There just is not the time left to build like when i was single. I could stay up all night for a week and come out of the shop with a new plane....ah....to be able to pull that off again lol.

Believe me, there is no wad of bills in my pocket burning me to spend it.

Time....

Your time is very important and is worth something too. So for me, ARF's are a great way to start some projects. Now I'm still kit building, but at a snails pace, which is fine. But in between its fun to bash up an ARF or two. Oh and it really doesnt take all that much to make them different. Here are a couple of examples...

The first is an ESM 109E done as Gallands mount. The second is a Fly Fly Me 163. I stripped the monocoat off of the wings, and used Fliteskin on this one. Both are quite original, and took no time to finish compaired to a kit build plane of the same size. Most of the stuff to bash these planes were already in my shop so there was not alot of out of pocket expense to do them.

Casey

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90474.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	1810240   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx73710.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	1810241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46545.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	1810242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83344.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	1810243  
Old 10-11-2012, 06:09 AM
hellcat56
My Feedback: (21)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am one of those guys that builds airplanes by plans sometimes from a kit
I usually build planes that DONT come in ARF mode
I have several arf's also

and yes I usually have glue and wood on hand
and can build a Zrolli kit for less than 750
BUT
What I cant get from saving 200-300 dollars is
the amount of TIME it takes to frame it up and build it
Sometimes I trade money for TIME
if you dont think that is smart
save some money

and walk everwhere you go

ARF's have their place and I am grateful to the companies for putting out a new SCALE plane it makes the field lineup soooo much better
Old 10-11-2012, 06:52 AM
Mustangman40

for me personally, it has nothing to do with the money, but the time. I have two little children under the age of 4 and the youngest, my son who is 3 has autism. On top of this my wife and I are in the midst of opening a preschool on Oahu.

There just is not the time left to build like when i was single. I could stay up all night for a week and come out of the shop with a new plane....ah....to be able to pull that off again lol.

Believe me, there is no wad of bills in my pocket burning me to spend it.

Time....

Your time is very important and is worth something too. So for me, ARF's are a great way to start some projects. Now I'm still kit building, but at a snails pace, which is fine. But in between its fun to bash up an ARF or two. Oh and it really doesnt take all that much to make them different. Here are a couple of examples...

The first is an ESM 109E done as Gallands mount. The second is a Fly Fly Me 163. I stripped the monocoat off of the wings, and used Fliteskin on this one. Both are quite original, and took no time to finish compaired to a kit build plane of the same size. Most of the stuff to bash these planes were already in my shop so there was not alot of out of pocket expense to do them.

Casey

Very nice Casey, they look great...........
I know what you mean about dolling up an arf, doesn't take all that long and makes it your own.. I still love to build, but Arf's have a place in my line up as well....
I also can relate to having the little ones, when mine were that age i put the hobby on hold for about 8yrs.. It was to much between work and other hobbies, something had to go...lol

Here is a 50ccPitts Python I just bashed, man did i ***** a moan about all the problems it had. But in the end, I am a happy camper............
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99139.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	1810258   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44618.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	1810259  
Old 10-11-2012, 07:54 AM
kwik

Casey
Very nice planes, Casey !
Old 10-11-2012, 09:44 AM
w0mbat

I think the question that is really being asked is: Why does TF sell their GS planes for $750.00 when ESM sell them theirs for $400.00 and Nitroplanes sells theirs for $200.00?

Design and manufacture a good quality warbird ARF and you will have your answer!

20 years ago, you couldn't even buy a basic Byron kit for $750.00 and Yellow Aircraft prices were so high, they didnt' even list them! Those planes were about the closest you could get to a GS warbird ARF.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:47 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: w0mbat

I think the question that is really being asked is: Why does TF sell their GS planes for $750.00 when ESM sell them theirs for $400.00 and Nitroplanes sells theirs for $200.00?

Design and manufacture a good quality warbird ARF and you will have your answer!

20 years ago, you couldn't even buy a basic Byron kit for $750.00 and Yellow Aircraft prices were so high, they didnt' even list them! Those planes were about the closest you could get to a GS warbird ARF.

I have seen the Tiger Moth from Nitroplanes, and the TM from Hangar 9. No comparison. A Hunday is a car, so is a Ferrari.... I am tempted to get the Nitroplanes Moth (but it is always out of stock) and upgrade it with some Horizon parts (like the landing gear and cowling), and recover the bird with fabric.

Most models from ESM are much smaller than TF, and their wing loading is way way heavier. Notice I said MOST.

So, in order to be fair you would have to compare apples with apples. The good old watermelon to kumquat comparison is not going to fly... For example the way you tear down the TF Corsair (to move it around) is far superior to ESM. The ESM Corsair is 670.00 not 400.00 Again, compare apples to apples.

Gerry

Old 10-11-2012, 01:05 PM
kwik

ORIGINAL: w0mbat

Well, you will have to differ between the 30cc line, and the 50ccc line from ESM.

The TF Corsair can be best compared to the 50cc line from ESM;

http://www.vqwarbirds.com/product_in...a4550bb88b8c1d

I linked to the ESM 30cc Corsair earlier on, since the price was of importance;

http://www.vqwarbirds.com/product_in...1cd81f49ec38ac

I have the 50cc Corsair from ESM. It is wonderful. Would love to have the TF Corsair in ARC version, but do you know what the
overseas freight cost via air is nowadays? Astronomical is the only word I can find. The importers import container-wise via Sea/boat, me thinks.
Which they will have to pay for too, but is cheaper since the order bulkwise in containers.

Very happy with the 50cc ESM Corsair, and grateful for its existense. It has given me lots of flying experience with a large warbird I otherwise wouldnt be able to get.

The alternative, which is to get flying experience on a plane you've been building for 2-3 years, is a lot more nerve wrecking.....

Old 10-11-2012, 01:20 PM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

They are great flyers for the $$$.. The 51 is a TF 1/5th and the T6 is a Byron... Flew a friends 1/5th TF JUG and it flys just as good.. My grandma could land it it's so easy!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF_sk...e_gdata_player
Old 10-12-2012, 11:28 AM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

idk, I just canceled the TF FW, I buy retracts a swap meets or the internet, and I have a set for it, but they made their retracts proprietary so you buy theirs or rebuild the wing. well I buy ARF's to avoid work so I decided that if that was my choice I could save about 100 on the ESM candy stripe FW and I already have a set of retracts that will fit it so there is a 350 savings on a 2k war bird and the mods for the LG are minor.

Joe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.