Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Has TopFlite gone nuts with the price??

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Has TopFlite gone nuts with the price??

Old 10-12-2012, 03:49 PM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Has TopFlite gone nuts with the price??

Time is more scarce than money for me with 2 little kids, work, and night school. I would love to have the time to build but right now I will pay the money to have a decent looking Warbird ARF.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:47 AM
Datavision

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's right, time is scarce. If some guys have time to build, that's great for them, but i barely have time to assemble the arfs.
Money, it costs me much more to build something than put together an ARF. Plans, cutting parts, hardware, glue, covering, I can't build it for less than the arf.
Nitroplanes versus Hangar 9, you just cannot compare. NP stuff is sometimes closeouts and rejects, no parts or support, I've had enough of them. For the time I put into assemblling them, and the cost of the motors and electronics and other stuff, its just not worth it. I'd rather get Hangar 9 and something that will have less problems and more flying.
The TF arfs are nice, except for the monokote finish, which I do not like. This new FW190 looks like it is painted, which is a big difference to me. I think they are reasonable value for the money, things cost more these days. You could not buy a yellow aircraft or byron in kit form, for this kind of money back in the day.
The ones I have been really liking are the Easytiger warbirds...if you wait, you can catch most of them on sale prices, or work out a deal with him over the phone, and get a big warbird, fiberglass, and painted, for $895. Much bigger than the Top Flite ones. But I think this new TF 190 is nice, and I think people just forget what things cost these days, and all the trips to the hobby store for parts and supplies, how much each little thing costs, when you build from scratch.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:43 AM
deatonbt

I know that it has been discussed about supply and demand, but the kit makers are in the business to make an income. I wouldn't charge a lesser price if I can get what I am asking. I wouldn't subsidize a person's hobby at the expense of my take home pay. I don't understand why it is expected of a person to do that. If you want a cheaper price, tell all of your friends not to buy one.
- Brian
Old 10-13-2012, 07:06 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: paladin

idk, I just canceled the TF FW, I buy retracts a swap meets or the internet, and I have a set for it, but they made their retracts proprietary so you buy theirs or rebuild the wing. well I buy ARF's to avoid work so I decided that if that was my choice I could save about 100 on the ESM candy stripe FW and I already have a set of retracts that will fit it so there is a 350 savings on a 2k war bird and the mods for the LG are minor.

Joe
Yes, it seems Sierra was left out of the loop on this one. The wing is designed for those offset strut type retract. Too bad as the Sierra look much better, are stronger and have the scale downlocks.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:08 AM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: deatonbt

I know that it has been discussed about supply and demand, but the kit makers are in the business to make an income. I wouldn't charge a lesser price if I can get what I am asking. I wouldn't subsidize a person's hobby at the expense of my take home pay. I don't understand why it is expected of a person to do that. If you want a cheaper price, tell all of your friends not to buy one. [img][/img]
- Brian
That is a catch 22. If nobody buys them, then they will be discontinued. If everybody buys them then the price goes up!
Old 10-13-2012, 07:15 AM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: deatonbt

I know that it has been discussed about supply and demand, but the kit makers are in the business to make an income. I wouldn't charge a lesser price if I can get what I am asking. I wouldn't subsidize a person's hobby at the expense of my take home pay. I don't understand why it is expected of a person to do that. If you want a cheaper price, tell all of your friends not to buy one.
- Brian
That's kind of the way the OIL companies think, i think......

Old 10-14-2012, 03:14 PM
DamonTX

Default RE: [Awaiting Approval]

Looks like Tower just reduced the prices on TF kits.

Top Flite F4U Corsair Gold Edition Kit .60-.80,62" 199.98
Top Flite P-51D Mustang Gold Edition Kit .60-.90,65" 179.97
Top Flite P-40E Warhawk Gold Edition Kit .60-.91,64" 229.98
Top Flite P-47D Thunderbolt Gold Edition Kit .61-90,63" 199.98
Top Flite Spitfire MkIX Gold Edition Kit .61-.75,63" 179.97
Top Flite T-34B Mentor Gold Edition Kit .61-.91,80" 229.98
Top Flite Cessna 182 Skylane Gold Ed Kit .61-.91,81" 229.98
Old 10-14-2012, 05:32 PM
Corsair 29

I just looked and I didn't see the seafury
Old 10-15-2012, 08:31 AM
DamonTX

I think they discontinued the Sea Fury last Spring before they raised the kit prices.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:04 PM
wallace.tharp

Hi Scott Douglas: Your RADAR sweep is really turning around fast! Are you an Air Traffic Controller or old GCI or GCA guy? Perhaps an AWAX? Yes I am, and I am now a USAF Range Control Officer on Barry Goldwater Bombing Ranges, AZ. My answer, I priced tires for my wife's Element Fri. The same high end Michelins that I bought for her Element about 3 years ago at Costco for $475 "out the door," hold your billfod, now.... $844 OMG! Our best economists say we have a built in kind of taxation in the US that only counts certain things in the cost of living index and allows other things, gas & diesel etc., to go crazy. Car batteries for years, $28 to $34, Sears always installed them for no extra charge. Do I have to tell you I paid almost $100 for one the other day. Our government constantly runs down the cost of the dollar so it will be easy for other countries to purchase our goods. The good news!!!! I paid $349 for a Kraft Gold Spec radio in about 1981, & now, 30 years later, the same $ will buy a radio with many times the reliability (usually), and way more technology. Bright side, Great hobby & great people! wallace.tharp
Old 10-15-2012, 06:53 PM
wallace.tharp

Dear Roto: You have hit the nail on the head IMO. I worked for Hobby Bench in Prescott, AZ when I went to college in 1997 & 98 and one soon sees just how all thet marketing by the big guys works. We could not order just 3 or 4 of almost anything. Even smaller companies like SIG would make it so you needed to buy a few cases of glue, Balsa etc. There is a reality her though, business is a cut-throat competition and those that are not figuring a way to beat the competition and, make a profit will soon be out of buisness. We live in a capitalist society! My view is that it works well if not perverted and hugly subudised by those who have control. Here I refer to congress and huge money people. I'll put the pres in there too. Don't forget to vote! And as they say in Chicago, "Vote Soon & Often!" wallace. tharp
Old 10-15-2012, 07:10 PM
wallace.tharp

Hellcat, Well said! wallace.tharp
Old 10-18-2012, 08:43 AM
Mustangman40

Well i see Tower dropped the price on most of the TF arf's, this thread and my phone call must have worked... So to thank me, everyone should send me $1.00 dollar for my troubles....

I seen the corsair up close, TF did a pretty nice job on it... I decided to go with an ESM to save a few $$$, every dollar counts in today's economy.....

Jimbo
Old 10-18-2012, 09:09 AM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Way to go Jimbo, Now can you start a thread about Comp Arf being too high? I'm eyeing a few of those too.

For your extraordinary effort I'm sending you $2.00, trouble is you will owe me $9.99 for shipping.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:28 AM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: redbiscuits

Way to go Jimbo, Now can you start a thread about Comp Arf being too high? I'm eyeing a few of those too.

For your extraordinary effort I'm sending you $2.00, trouble is you will owe me $9.99 for shipping.
LMAO!!!!!!!! Aint that the truth..........

As far as the Comp arf, yes they are way out of my league in the $$$ department. But so are a lot of high end things, that's what keeps us dreaming i guess..
I did get a kick out of the cover of last moths Model airplane news.. It had a Comp 47 on the cover and it said "Build the best P-47 out there" or something like that.. I told the wife I needed a check for 4K for a new plane, she laughed and asked if it came with a pit crew.. I started laughing and told her NOPE, doesn't even come with a motor of landing gear, just the airframe........Don't think i will be getting one of those for Xmas....lol
Old 10-18-2012, 03:04 PM
91zulu
My Feedback: (2)

Question, if the equivalent to a CompArf P47 was to be made in the USA, about how much would it cost? And don`t tell me twice as much with out explaining fully why. All things German or there in is very expensive, yet they sell very well. That begs the question why can`t such things be made here in the US. Is it the case that the need for a large profit margin would not make producing such items worth while ? So then if that is the case, how much profit dose MOKI make per engine or CompArf per plane?
Old 10-23-2012, 03:33 PM
wallace.tharp

91Z, in the accent of Popeye, " Ya get's what ya pays for, Gug Gug Gug Gu Gug!" Is that a Globe Swift I spotts on your ID.? wallace.tharp