Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ECOMRC Fokker D-VII

I just ordered this ECOM Fokker D-VII from Troy Built Models. It is a ARF with a 70" wing span and uses a 26 to 36cc gas engine. I hope to use a CRRC pro 26i gas engine on it. Has anyone out there had any experiance with the Fokker D-VII? Here is a link to it.

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items...VII-70AAF.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rp43418.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	1810972  
    Jim Stanton
    Millington, TN 38053

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: ECOMRC Fokker D-VII

please let me know how you like the plane want one myself

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have been looking at the manual That Troy Built has on line and the prop hub on the engine needs to be 6 1/3" out from the firewall. My CRRC 26 with stand offs is ionly 5". Troy Built recommends a DLE 30 for power and with stand offs it is 6 1/3". I cannot find and stand offs long enough to get the CRRC 26 to the 6 1/3" so I went ahead and ordered a DLE-30 from Tower Hobbies last night That will make installing the engine alot easier I'll post some pics once I get the plane.
    Jim Stanton
    Millington, TN 38053

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jstanton

I have been looking at the manual That Troy Built has on line and the prop hub on the engine needs to be 6 1/3'' out from the firewall. My CRRC 26 with stand offs is ionly 5''. Troy Built recommends a DLE 30 for power and with stand offs it is 6 1/3''. I cannot find and stand offs long enough to get the CRRC 26 to the 6 1/3'' so I went ahead and ordered a DLE-30 from Tower Hobbies last night That will make installing the engine alot easier I'll post some pics once I get the plane.
    I am confused.......what is 1/3rd inches? .375"? The inch ruler is not divided in 3rds. A little clarity please.
    \"let\'\'\'\'s just say, they will be satisfied with less\" Ming the Merciless

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Distance from the firewall to the prop hub is 160mm. The calulates to 6.297" or 6 1/3" to round it out. I believe 6 5/16" well be what we want when using a standard ruler messuement.
    Jim Stanton
    Millington, TN 38053

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

.25 = 1/4" .3125= 5/16" Regardless, I will be interested to see how this bird turns out. Pretty good size for this plane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You know, nothing says you can't use a plywood shim(s) between the standoffs and the firewall to push your engine out a little further....
    In God I trust.
    All others pay cash.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I thought of that but with the DLE-30 being the correct distance right out ofthe box I opted to gothat way
    Jim Stanton
    Millington, TN 38053

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That should be a good combo

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just got back to the office and guess what was here waiting for me. That's right the ECOM Fokker DVII is here. I'll take it home with me tonight and try and get some photos uploaded by tomorrow morning
    Jim Stanton
    Millington, TN 38053

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry I did not post any pics last night but I will try again today. Having a computer upload issue I have to fighure out. The plane looks really good and build very solid. I really like the size and most of the hadware looks to be of good quality. I will be changing the wheel to either the William Bros vintage 1/5 scale or maybe the dubro. The wheels that come with the Fokker I really don't like.[:'(]
    Jim Stanton
    Millington, TN 38053

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was going to post some pics of this nice ARF but I found a video that this guy put together that does a much better job than just a few pics. Check this link out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-P-i8r7WeE
    Jim Stanton
    Millington, TN 38053

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just do not like the hweels that came with this kit so I went ahead and order the 1/5 scale vintage wheels by Williams bros. I order them from Tower Hobbies. here is a link so you can see how much nicer these wheel are.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWAB4&P=7
    Jim Stanton
    Millington, TN 38053

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I also ordered a 19x8 WWI Vintage prop by Xoar from Vally View hobbies for my new DLE-30. Here is the link to the prop. They look really good.

http://www.valleyviewrc.com/estore/x...ller-19x8.html
    Jim Stanton
    Millington, TN 38053

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Balsa USA actually sells the more scale Axial, laminated prop, manufactured by Xoar. They look just like the real one and are good for flying. My Scimitar prop I bought vibrated a lot. Sorry.

http://shop.balsausa.com/category_s/216.htm

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for lettig know know of the vibration issue you had with your Simitar prop. I'll double check the balance on the when they arrive.
    Jim Stanton
    Millington, TN 38053

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Whats the covering look like? Shiny like monokote?
    http://tommydsblog.blogspot.com/

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes the covering is shinny like monokote but you can use steel wool on it to take off the shine. Then you can use a satin spray on it like rustoliums satin polyuathane. It comes out looking like it should
    Jim Stanton
    Millington, TN 38053

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

Balsa USA actually sells the more scale Axial, laminated prop, manufactured by Xoar. They look just like the real one and are good for flying. My Scimitar prop I bought vibrated a lot. Sorry.

http://shop.balsausa.com/category_s/216.htm

+1 for the laminated Axial props. The scimitars, seem, in my limited experience, to give up a lot of performance for looks, and it wouldn't be a scale propellor on that airplane.... plus printing out an Axial logo the right size and gluing it on is a very nice scale touch...
    In God I trust.
    All others pay cash.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I know now that the simitar props will not be a scale prop for this bird but I have made the mistake and already ordered them. In fact they came in yesturday and look really cool. I think I will order an Axial prop anyway. I am using a DLE-30 for this plane and the fuselage and cowl are a little tight[:@] for the stock muffler so I have ordered the JTEC inverted muffler from Troy built. It is only 1" in depth compared to the stock muffler that is 1 1/2" in depth
    Jim Stanton
    Millington, TN 38053

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is a link to the JTEC compact muffler I have ordered for the DLE-30. It will be a much better fit than with the stock muffler. Also I have instaledl the hinges and ailerons. I really like the robart still hinges that came with this plane and is was neally nice to have all the hinge slots pre drilled. It made installation really easy. I do have one consurn. I installed one servo in the upper right wing and than noticed there is no place for the servo wire to come out of the wing and the instructions do not address this issue either.[:@] I guess I will just make a small hole in the covering and have the servo wire come out where the struts attach to the upper wing and than run them down the struts and into the fuselage. That seems to be the best way.

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/JTCOMPACTDL30.html
    Jim Stanton
    Millington, TN 38053

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hopefully there are holes in the ribs for the wires to go through. This is one thing I hate about ARF's, the final assembly takes like 4 times longer than a kit or scratch build. I always install rocket tubes in my wings to act as a conduit to make fishing those pesky servo wires easier. I prefer the Estes 1/2" Size

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Glad to report there are holes in the ribs of the wing to pass the servo wires threw.
    Jim Stanton
    Millington, TN 38053

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well I found out you have to check all of the glue joints. I installed the aileron servo in the right wing. I then hooked it up to my reciever and tested the servo to make sure I had it centered correctly. Once I operated the servo the servo mount came loose. [:@] I checked it out and found there was hardly any glue to support the servo mount. [:'(] I used expoy on it and it won't come loose again. I then checked the other servo mount and it was the same way. Glad I found this out during construction

I know have a camera working and will start6 posting some pic's of the build.
    Jim Stanton
    Millington, TN 38053

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok I have come acroos a couple of small issue but nothing that cannot be over come. First of all the servo mount came loose for the aileron servo's and I had to gorrila glue them back on. Also the servo hatch arra was a little small for the recommended Power HD 1501 servo's and I had to enlarge to area for the servo to fit. Also there was no area for the servo wire to come out of the wire so it could be routed to the fuselage. [:'(] Also the directions have the wing strut supports backwards and I did not figure that out until I had already cut down one of the strut suppors to fit.[:@] When I figured it out I just reversed the process on the other wing. I really do like the heavy duty hardware in the kit for the ailerons. I have tried to upload some pic's but they most be having a server issue. I keep getting a server error so I'll try again tomorrow. I'll have a few more pic's then
    Jim Stanton
    Millington, TN 38053

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast