Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gorilla Glue

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gorilla Glue

What will get gorilla glue off fingers????

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Gorilla Glue

Try acetone
    Piece of Cake
    Spitfire Brotherhood #121

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Xacto knife, 80grit sandpaper
    Thomas W.
    Euro-sport Evo, Scratch built 1/7 F-14D Tomcat, 26.5% Gee Bee R2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

laquer thinner

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Time
    Bloch MV-152

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hellcat, use those medical exam gloves next time. I never touch the stuff without those on my hands. Dan.
    Dan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: All Day Dan

hellcat, use those medical exam gloves next time. I never touch the stuff without those on my hands. Dan.

And with those on your hands, you most certainly won't be touching the stuff.

You can get a box of something like 100 gloves at Harbor Freight for almost nothing.
    Good flying wit ya today

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have done a fair bit of building over my 25 years in the hobby, but I have never used Gorilla glue.

Always use Sig Aliphatic resin or Titebond, and of course CA and 5min epoxy.

So can any of you builders out there tell me what application you use this stuff for, and why.

Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ME410, I know it doesn't fly, but the Gorilla glue made it much easier. Dan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ca82306.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	1814247   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ws56620.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	1814248  
    Dan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gorilla glue comes off w/ mineral spirts and elbow gresse and I too never used it untill just awhile a go and it's very good for tough app's where you cant really clamp very tight but need it to never come off or need to have a gap filled because of it expanding properties you just have to be carefull not to make a real mess (YOU DON'T NEED MUCH)

Bruce
    JACK OF ALL MASTER OF NONE

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

On a balsa sheeted foam core wing where I did not do a good job of sanding the dihedral at the center, I glued the wing halfs together at the correct dihedral and let Gorilla Glue fill the gap. I have also used it to glue an ABS radial engine front and back together where the Gorilla Glue filled the cavity in the engine; it added strength and weight. I have not had good success with using it to glue hardwood to a fiberglass fuselage in a gas plane; the joints eventually vibrated apart.
    - Brian
    Bloch MV-152

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: All Day Dan

ME410, I know it doesn't fly, but the Gorilla glue made it much easier. Dan.
    Nice Bomb Pylon!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's another use. Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mk26216.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	1814398  
    Dan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I find that a butane torch turned up to a blue flame works well to remove the glue. Mitch

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The best way i have found is not to use that stuff to begin with.
    Steve
    Hellcat Brotherhood #1
    P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #5
    ​Glow Head Brotherhood #17
    Spitfire Brotherhood #144
    Full size airplanes are real, our models are too.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If it is wet use mineral spirits. If it's hard then use sandpaperor solvent such as acetone,laquer thinner etc. I find it has it's place for filling in gaps and for gluing foamies back together and for attaching hinge points or nylon hinges it's great. I first coat the hinge joint in vasilene and then apply just a little water to the control surface holes and the trailing edge holes. Next take a tooth pick with a little glue, and I mean a little, and then rub it in the hole insert the hinges and line it up and let it set. In about 1/2 an hr check it again and work the hinges some, don't try to wipe off any glue that foams out yet, when it gets hard you will be able to take a #11 blade and pick the excess right off and your hinges will function just fine, and they will not pull loose, even in a crash. Don't ask
    If what you believed to be true was false would you want to know the truth?

"You shall know the truth, and the truth will set you free".

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Plus 1 on raptureboy's comments. It's the best glue have found for hingepoints. Most solvents will remove it when still wet.
    AMA #77967/CD/LM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Interesting stuff, I may give it a try, thanks for the info.

Deatonbt:
    For any wood to fiberglass I use a glue by PermaPoxy called 5 Min Plastic Weld. The key ingrediant is " Methyl Methacrylate "I think. It's stinky stuff and you don't want it on your skin I would think.
    But it works great, and you can use it for plastic to wood, plastic to plastic also.

Tom

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: raptureboy

If it is wet use mineral spirits. If it's hard then use sandpaper[img][/img]Â*or solvent such as acetone,laquer thinner etc. I find it has it's place for filling in gaps and for gluing foamies back together and for attaching hinge points or nylon hinges it's great. I first coat the hinge joint in vasilene and then apply just a little water to the control surface holes and the trailing edge holes. Next take a tooth pick with a little glue, and I mean a little, and then rub it in the hole insert the hinges and line it up and let it set. In about 1/2 an hr check it again and work the hinges some, don't try to wipe off any glue that foams out yet, when it gets hard you will be able to take a #11 blade and pick the excess right off and your hinges will function just fine, and they will not pull loose, even in a crash. Don't ask[img][/img]
    Man Please, all that work for installing hinge points? use 5, 15 or 30 min epoxy, let it cure and even if it gets to the hinge joint you can snap it free, 30 years of installing hinge points always with epoxy and never a failure. Gorilla glue, dampen the surface, apply, watch for foam, pick it away, what a joke!
    RED RIGHT RETURN!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: hellcat56

What will get gorilla glue off fingers????
    Banana Peel?
    KaP2011
    AMA #408493
    SPA #521
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #110
    Spitfire Brotherhood # 193

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Takes no more time and I don't have to hurry up because the epoxy is setting up on me while I'm trying to line up the hinges, and just so you know epoxy will not stick to nylon hinges very long wise guy! Thats why I mix it on plastic container lids and use nylon spatulas,just flex it and it pops right off. If you've got nothing good to say then keep it to yourselfReally why do guys like you have to get in a thread and try to make yourself and your ideas sound sosuperior.
    If what you believed to be true was false would you want to know the truth?

"You shall know the truth, and the truth will set you free".

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Takes no more time and I don't have to hurry up because the epoxy is setting up on me while I'm trying to line up the hinges, and just so you know epoxy will not stick to nylon hinges very long wise guy! Thats why I mix it on plastic container lids and use nylon spatulas,Â*just flex it and it pops right off. [img][/img]If you've got nothing good to say then keep it to yourself[img][/img]Â*Really why do guys like you have to get in a thread and try to make yourself and your ideas sound soÂ*superior.
    He was stating his opinion about using the stuff and or how he does things,i use it and i think its only good for foam and it is very messy . It;s getting to the point around here if you dont agree with some folks start telling you to shut up. I listened to what he had to say ,wether i agree with him or not and that was it .Every one has a different way of building things and mine is not the ONLY WAY. joe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Takes no more time and I don't have to hurry up because the epoxy is setting up on me while I'm trying to line up the hinges, and just so you know epoxy will not stick to nylon hinges very long wise guy! Thats why I mix it on plastic container lids and use nylon spatulas,just flex it and it pops right off. If you've got nothing good to say then keep it to yourselfReally why do guys like you have to get in a thread and try to make yourself and your ideas sound sosuperior.
    Yeah I thot the same thing....Why poo-poo any glue? They all have their strengths and if one builds at all, he will learn which glue is best for the application at hand. Hinge points and Gorilla are well matched. Roughened hinge points and epoxy or slow ca also work well together. No biggie either way

To the OP, +1 for the gloves. Anytime a job is going to get messy, I opt for the gloves too. But once I get GG on my hands and it turns black from grime, I sand it off the skin. I try hard not to get too much solvent on my bare hands. Skin absorbs solvents
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: airega1

If it is wet use mineral spirits. If it's hard then use sandpaper[img][/img]or solvent such as acetone,laquer thinner etc. I find it has it's place for filling in gaps and for gluing foamies back together and for attaching hinge points or nylon hinges it's great. I first coat the hinge joint in vasilene and then apply just a little water to the control surface holes and the trailing edge holes. Next take a tooth pick with a little glue, and I mean a little, and then rub it in the hole insert the hinges and line it up and let it set. In about 1/2 an hr check it again and work the hinges some, don't try to wipe off any glue that foams out yet, when it gets hard you will be able to take a #11 blade and pick the excess right off and your hinges will function just fine, and they will not pull loose, even in a crash. Don't ask[img][/img]
    Man Please, all that work for installing hinge points? use 5, 15 or 30 min epoxy, let it cure and even if it gets to the hinge joint you can snap it free, 30 years of installing hinge points always with epoxy and never a failure. Gorilla glue, dampen the surface, apply, watch for foam, pick it away, what a joke!
    Ha ha, if you can snap the excess free from the joint how much of a bond do you think it is making inside the control surface?
    I useGG on hinges. Rapture explained it in great detail but it doesn't take long to do at all.
    Balsa USA brother #1
    Top Flight brother #08
    Sig brother 104
    Cub brother #206

Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast