Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Gorilla Glue

Old 10-22-2012, 12:44 PM
hellcat56
My Feedback: (21)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gorilla Glue

What will get gorilla glue off fingers????
Old 10-22-2012, 01:03 PM
Moggy
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gorilla Glue

Try acetone
Old 10-22-2012, 02:32 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 223 Likes on 114 Posts

Xacto knife, 80grit sandpaper
Old 10-22-2012, 02:41 PM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

laquer thinner
Old 10-22-2012, 04:29 PM
deatonbt

Time
Old 10-22-2012, 04:34 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hellcat, use those medical exam gloves next time. I never touch the stuff without those on my hands. Dan.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:45 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: All Day Dan

hellcat, use those medical exam gloves next time. I never touch the stuff without those on my hands. Dan.

And with those on your hands, you most certainly won't be touching the stuff.

You can get a box of something like 100 gloves at Harbor Freight for almost nothing.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:33 PM
Me410

I have done a fair bit of building over my 25 years in the hobby, but I have never used Gorilla glue.

Always use Sig Aliphatic resin or Titebond, and of course CA and 5min epoxy.

So can any of you builders out there tell me what application you use this stuff for, and why.

Thanks
Old 10-23-2012, 02:17 PM
All Day Dan

ME410, I know it doesn't fly, but the Gorilla glue made it much easier. Dan.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82306.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1814247   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56620.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	1814248  
Old 10-23-2012, 02:26 PM
splinterz25

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Gorilla glue comes off w/ mineral spirts and elbow gresse and I too never used it untill just awhile a go and it's very good for tough app's where you cant really clamp very tight but need it to never come off or need to have a gap filled because of it expanding properties you just have to be carefull not to make a real mess (YOU DON'T NEED MUCH)

Bruce
Old 10-23-2012, 04:07 PM
deatonbt

On a balsa sheeted foam core wing where I did not do a good job of sanding the dihedral at the center, I glued the wing halfs together at the correct dihedral and let Gorilla Glue fill the gap. I have also used it to glue an ABS radial engine front and back together where the Gorilla Glue filled the cavity in the engine; it added strength and weight. I have not had good success with using it to glue hardwood to a fiberglass fuselage in a gas plane; the joints eventually vibrated apart.
- Brian
Old 10-23-2012, 04:34 PM
BubbasanJohn

ORIGINAL: All Day Dan

ME410, I know it doesn't fly, but the Gorilla glue made it much easier. Dan.
Nice Bomb Pylon!!!!
Old 10-23-2012, 09:28 PM
All Day Dan

Here's another use. Dan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26216.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	1814398  
Old 10-24-2012, 03:57 AM
nine o nine
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find that a butane torch turned up to a blue flame works well to remove the glue. Mitch
Old 10-24-2012, 07:34 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The best way i have found is not to use that stuff to begin with.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:09 AM
raptureboy

If it is wet use mineral spirits. If it's hard then use sandpaperor solvent such as acetone,laquer thinner etc. I find it has it's place for filling in gaps and for gluing foamies back together and for attaching hinge points or nylon hinges it's great. I first coat the hinge joint in vasilene and then apply just a little water to the control surface holes and the trailing edge holes. Next take a tooth pick with a little glue, and I mean a little, and then rub it in the hole insert the hinges and line it up and let it set. In about 1/2 an hr check it again and work the hinges some, don't try to wipe off any glue that foams out yet, when it gets hard you will be able to take a #11 blade and pick the excess right off and your hinges will function just fine, and they will not pull loose, even in a crash. Don't ask
Old 10-24-2012, 08:29 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Plus 1 on raptureboy's comments. It's the best glue have found for hingepoints. Most solvents will remove it when still wet.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:36 AM
Me410

Interesting stuff, I may give it a try, thanks for the info.

Deatonbt:
For any wood to fiberglass I use a glue by PermaPoxy called 5 Min Plastic Weld. The key ingrediant is " Methyl Methacrylate "I think. It's stinky stuff and you don't want it on your skin I would think.
But it works great, and you can use it for plastic to wood, plastic to plastic also.

Tom
Old 10-24-2012, 09:22 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

ORIGINAL: raptureboy

If it is wet use mineral spirits. If it's hard then use sandpaper[img][/img] or solvent such as acetone,laquer thinner etc. I find it has it's place for filling in gaps and for gluing foamies back together and for attaching hinge points or nylon hinges it's great. I first coat the hinge joint in vasilene and then apply just a little water to the control surface holes and the trailing edge holes. Next take a tooth pick with a little glue, and I mean a little, and then rub it in the hole insert the hinges and line it up and let it set. In about 1/2 an hr check it again and work the hinges some, don't try to wipe off any glue that foams out yet, when it gets hard you will be able to take a #11 blade and pick the excess right off and your hinges will function just fine, and they will not pull loose, even in a crash. Don't ask[img][/img]
Man Please, all that work for installing hinge points? use 5, 15 or 30 min epoxy, let it cure and even if it gets to the hinge joint you can snap it free, 30 years of installing hinge points always with epoxy and never a failure. Gorilla glue, dampen the surface, apply, watch for foam, pick it away, what a joke!
Old 10-24-2012, 09:37 AM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: hellcat56

What will get gorilla glue off fingers????
Banana Peel?
Old 10-24-2012, 10:30 AM
raptureboy

Takes no more time and I don't have to hurry up because the epoxy is setting up on me while I'm trying to line up the hinges, and just so you know epoxy will not stick to nylon hinges very long wise guy! Thats why I mix it on plastic container lids and use nylon spatulas,just flex it and it pops right off. If you've got nothing good to say then keep it to yourselfReally why do guys like you have to get in a thread and try to make yourself and your ideas sound sosuperior.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:46 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Takes no more time and I don't have to hurry up because the epoxy is setting up on me while I'm trying to line up the hinges, and just so you know epoxy will not stick to nylon hinges very long wise guy! Thats why I mix it on plastic container lids and use nylon spatulas, just flex it and it pops right off. [img][/img]If you've got nothing good to say then keep it to yourself[img][/img] Really why do guys like you have to get in a thread and try to make yourself and your ideas sound so superior.
He was stating his opinion about using the stuff and or how he does things,i use it and i think its only good for foam and it is very messy . It;s getting to the point around here if you dont agree with some folks start telling you to shut up. I listened to what he had to say ,wether i agree with him or not and that was it .Every one has a different way of building things and mine is not the ONLY WAY. joe
Old 10-24-2012, 11:57 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Takes no more time and I don't have to hurry up because the epoxy is setting up on me while I'm trying to line up the hinges, and just so you know epoxy will not stick to nylon hinges very long wise guy! Thats why I mix it on plastic container lids and use nylon spatulas,just flex it and it pops right off. If you've got nothing good to say then keep it to yourselfReally why do guys like you have to get in a thread and try to make yourself and your ideas sound sosuperior.
Yeah I thot the same thing....Why poo-poo any glue? They all have their strengths and if one builds at all, he will learn which glue is best for the application at hand. Hinge points and Gorilla are well matched. Roughened hinge points and epoxy or slow ca also work well together. No biggie either way

To the OP, +1 for the gloves. Anytime a job is going to get messy, I opt for the gloves too. But once I get GG on my hands and it turns black from grime, I sand it off the skin. I try hard not to get too much solvent on my bare hands. Skin absorbs solvents
Old 10-24-2012, 12:09 PM
TestPilot-101
My Feedback: (4)

http://www.gorillatough.com/index.php?page=aid-glue
Old 10-24-2012, 12:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: airega1

If it is wet use mineral spirits. If it's hard then use sandpaper[img][/img]or solvent such as acetone,laquer thinner etc. I find it has it's place for filling in gaps and for gluing foamies back together and for attaching hinge points or nylon hinges it's great. I first coat the hinge joint in vasilene and then apply just a little water to the control surface holes and the trailing edge holes. Next take a tooth pick with a little glue, and I mean a little, and then rub it in the hole insert the hinges and line it up and let it set. In about 1/2 an hr check it again and work the hinges some, don't try to wipe off any glue that foams out yet, when it gets hard you will be able to take a #11 blade and pick the excess right off and your hinges will function just fine, and they will not pull loose, even in a crash. Don't ask[img][/img]
Man Please, all that work for installing hinge points? use 5, 15 or 30 min epoxy, let it cure and even if it gets to the hinge joint you can snap it free, 30 years of installing hinge points always with epoxy and never a failure. Gorilla glue, dampen the surface, apply, watch for foam, pick it away, what a joke!
Ha ha, if you can snap the excess free from the joint how much of a bond do you think it is making inside the control surface?
I useGG on hinges. Rapture explained it in great detail but it doesn't take long to do at all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.