Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

P-47 - Adding a Razorback?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

P-47 - Adding a Razorback?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 05:53 PM
BOLTMAN
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default P-47 - Adding a Razorback?

I have a Robart P-47 which comes as a fibreglass fuse bubbletop. I would like to change it to a razorback. As it is based on the Ziroli plan their fibreglass razorback & canopy will be a perfect fit.

My question is what adhesive do you guys recommend for fixing the glass razorback to the glass bubbletop fuse? Also what wil be the best filler to blend the joint?

As part of this modification I will be fixing the hatch on the top of the fuse as it will be covered by the razorback, then making a new hatch in the bottom of the fuse.

This means that for assembly at the field I will have to invert the model & lay it in a cradle to fit the wings & connect everything. This will mean the razorback will be loaded as the model sits in the cradle & I want to make sure that I don't get flexing or cracking along the joint.

So what do you guys recommend?
Old 10-28-2012, 07:30 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: P-47 - Adding a Razorback?

BOLTMAN,
I have had great success using Z-poxy Finishing Resin and Sig Micro-balloons doing work like this. The Z-poxy FR is the only epoxy that I have found that can be sanded. It also provides a strong bond to polyester resin that is scuffed up with 100 grit sandpaper. Keep in mind that you are adding a lot of weight behind the CG. It will cost you some ballast when you balance the finished plane. Dan.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:08 AM
BOLTMAN

Dan,

The finishing resin & micro balloons sounds good for the filler but I was leaning towards Hysol for the adhesive. What are peoples thoughts on that?

I am not too concerned about the weight / C of G issues. Both Ziroli & Meister use this method to do a razorback & I have not heard of any serious balance problems for razorbacks verses bubbletops.

Like most warbirds it will need to have the back end kept light in every way possible but I cannot resist making it into a razorback.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:09 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Hysol is excellent. Use a good quality auto body filler after you glass the wooden modification. Question what are you doing for a canopy getting it from Nick?
Old 10-29-2012, 07:50 PM
BOLTMAN

ORIGINAL: BobH

Hysol is excellent. Use a good quality auto body filler after you glass the wooden modification. Question what are you doing for a canopy getting it from Nick?
Hi Bob,

The fuselage is fibreglass ( from Robart ) and I have the fibreglass razorback and canopy from Ziroli. So I am looking at using Hysol to attach the glass razorback to the glass fuse and now thinking of using finishing resin & micro balloons to fill / blend the joint.

Anyone got any other thoughts?